Poll: Will Tiger Break Jacks Major Record?

Pigems

https://twitter.com/...5445376/video/1

Tiger's Mt. Rushmore of golf

"Snead, Jones, Nicklaus, Me."

I will assume that is in reverse order from 4 to 1.

Surprised he put Snead above Hogan or Arnold.

Should have pulled a trump and said I would just 4 different angles of my own bust up there. BOOM! Lololol.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, there’s only 4 majors a year, and Tiger is going to be 43 in September. He probably needs to win 2 or more next year alone to have a shot at tying or passing Jack.

If Tiger can continue playing as well as he did last week for the next 3-4 years, he can do it. The chances that he’ll continue to play that well, plus avoid injuries? The odds are against him at this point. Just think of how huge that hurtle was to win again, let alone win 5 more majors. People are calling his Tour championship win the greatest comeback in sports history. That provides perspective I think.

I predict though that if Tiger wins one of the first two majors next year, he’ll win multiple.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

It seems obvious to me that Tiger has a very legitimate window to win majors. Health is the immediate question mark. The next is decline, but with today's health and fitness regimens, we're seeing unprecedented longevity in many sports that are more physically demanding than golf. And, of course, we have seen great but still lesser players like Langer and, particularly, Watson make challenges at ages far beyond Tiger's.

For the time being, Tiger would appear to have as good of a chance as any player to win each major, and a better chance than all but a handful. I am starting to believe he will get at least one more.

I still think he probably falls short of 18.

But he was recently installed as the favorite at Augusta. I actually think that, coming off his victory and with his improved driving late in the year, plus of course his history at Augusta, that represents an accurate appraisal. As of this moment, I believe he is the favorite (for what little that means among a strong field) to win the 2019 Masters.

I guess I never thought I would consider him a favorite in a major again. That's something all in itself.

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

Up until this past week i gave Tiger ZERO chance of winning another Major. My reason?

I thought surely Rory, Dustin, JT, Rose, Spieth, etc. at least one of the top 10-15 players in the world would rise to the occasion and deny him the win. The Tour Championship is pretty close to a Major, they couldn’t close the deal. So Tiger may win another Major or two. He won’t pass Jack in my book though, we measure greatness by championships won in all sports. Golf is no different, Jack’s Major record is the GOAT. j m o

Until last week you thought he had zero chance? Seriously? That’s doesn’t even make sense. Did you actually watch him the last half of the season?

Are people’s memories really so short? My gosh... He was 2nd at the PGA and tied for 6th at the Open and led it briefly with 9 holes to play.

He had a very real chance TO WIN TWO THIS YEAR......and that was without everything in his game clicking on 100% yet.

If the back stays healthy, and Shawn Foley stays away from him, he’s got at least 8-10 competitive years in him. That’s 30-40 majors. I don’t have a crystal ball, but he definitely will win more majors.....plural.

"If yes, does he become undisputed GOAT?" How could you answer NO to this question?

In that scenario, he would have more majors than Jack (let's say 19) and at current level he would have a minimum of 85 PGA Tour wins. If that's not the GOAT, there never was one.

While I agree with you, 4 people have voted No so far. I’d like to know what Tiger would have to do to be the GOAT for those people? 20 majors, 95 wins?

The question was "would he be undisputed goat", correct? Have you been reading wrx posts? I had to say no as there would be posts saying no even if Woods somehow finished 20-100.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Up until this past week i gave Tiger ZERO chance of winning another Major. My reason?

I thought surely Rory, Dustin, JT, Rose, Spieth, etc. at least one of the top 10-15 players in the world would rise to the occasion and deny him the win. The Tour Championship is pretty close to a Major, they couldn’t close the deal. So Tiger may win another Major or two. He won’t pass Jack in my book though, we measure greatness by championships won in all sports. Golf is no different, Jack’s Major record is the GOAT. j m o

Until last week you thought he had zero chance? Seriously? That’s doesn’t even make sense. Did you actually watch him the last half of the season? How many tournaments did he win ? That’s right, ZERO. Don’t care where he finished the last half of the season he didn’t get a “W” some guy out played him. Is he better than Koepka ? He won TWO Majors, Tiger didn’t. He’s a 42 yr old man with a fused back, prwtty damn hard to win A Major let alone 4-5 more. Not happening, even for the people’s GOAT.

Are people’s memories really so short? My gosh... He was 2nd at the PGA and tied for 6th at the Open and led it briefly with 9 holes to play.

He had a very real chance TO WIN TWO THIS YEAR......and that was without everything in his game clicking on 100% yet.

If the back stays healthy, and Shawn Foley stays away from him, he’s got at least 8-10 competitive years in him. That’s 30-40 majors. I don’t have a crystal ball, but he definitely will win more majors.....plural.

Tiger can continue to play the Masters until he is what, 60? That’s 17 more majors alone he gets to play in.

US Open he has just qualified for next year with his win at East Lake. After that, it's based on future results and/or USGA exemption.

Masters he can play until he drops dead, likewise with the PGA Champ. 17 more Open Champs for him though.

Tiger can continue to play the Masters until he is what, 60? That’s 17 more majors alone he gets to play in.

He can play in the masters as long as he wishes. Lifetime invite. I imagine He’ll hang it up when he doesn’t feel competitive anymore.

At some point he’ll transition to ceremonial starter like jack and Arnie and Gary and the others.

I wonder if I’ll be around to see that?

"If yes, does he become undisputed GOAT?" How could you answer NO to this question?

In that scenario, he would have more majors than Jack (let's say 19) and at current level he would have a minimum of 85 PGA Tour wins. If that's not the GOAT, there never was one.

While I agree with you, 4 people have voted No so far. I’d like to know what Tiger would have to do to be the GOAT for those people? 20 majors, 95 wins?

The question was "would he be undisputed goat", correct? Have you been reading wrx posts? I had to say no as there would be posts saying no even if Woods somehow finished 20-100.

You are correct Sir, Undisputed, as in there is no plausible argument against him being the GOAT. I don’t think 20/100 could be disputed. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

US Open he has just qualified for next year with his win at East Lake. After that, it's based on future results and/or USGA exemption.

Masters he can play until he drops dead, likewise with the PGA Champ. 17 more Open Champs for him though.

So if he stays healthy, he’s got a good number of majors left to play. What’s his career winning % in Majors?

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

You are correct Sir, Undisputed, as in there is no plausible argument against him being the GOAT. I don’t think 20/100 could be disputed. :)

Someone will ALWAYS dispute it. Some people right now don’t even put Tiger in their top three or four.

So if he stays healthy, he’s got a good number of majors left to play. What’s his career winning % in Majors?

14/80 = 17.5%

It was 14/52 a decade ago...

As long as there are folks that vow to proclaim otherwise...

un·dis·put·ed

ˌəndəˈspyo͞odəd/Submit

adjective

not disputed or called into question; accepted.

synonyms: uncontested, indubitable, undoubted, incontestable, unchallenged, incontrovertible, unequivocal, undeniable, irrefutable, unmistakable, sure, certain, definite, accepted, acknowledged, recognized

Someone will ALWAYS dispute it. Some people right now don’t even put Tiger in their top three or four.

Exactly

Irrelevant and now I'm boycotting Tiger threads, really.

I think Dan Jenkins doesn’t have him Top 10.

Dan Jenkins is stuck in the Hogan Zone.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0