2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Poll: Will Tiger Break Jacks Major Record?

Pigems

https://twitter.com/RyderCupUSA/status/1044645437385445376/video/1

Tiger's Mt. Rushmore of golf

"Snead, Jones, Nicklaus, Me."

I will assume that is in reverse order from 4 to 1.

This is the most honest thing I have ever heard Tiger say. Although I might squeeze Hogan in there somewhere. Cool to hear how his mind really thinks on this subject.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I think he will? No.

Would I bet my life savings that he doesn’t. No.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Love Tiger. Love Jack. Due to all of the 2nd place finishes by Jack in majors, Tiger has to get to 19 majors to be the undisputed GOAT. If anybody could do it post age 42, it is Tiger Woods. I hope he does it and I screamed at my TV all season during the majors. I'll be screaming at my TV next season too.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

if Tiger remains healthy for at least 5 more years and his game continues to progress at its current pace there is no doubt in my mind Tiger will at least equal or even exceed 18 majors...

i only hope i can get to see it happen..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I think a better question maybe if he ties jack on 18 majors with the amount of pga tour victories he will have does that put him ahead? And does it then if it doesnt already, become the biggest comeback in sport?

I would think Ben Hogan's comeback was a bit more impressive. Mr. Hogan nearly died. Mr. Hogan won majors after his accident, including US Opens when the final 36 holes were played during the same day. That's impressive.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

My wife doesn't understand it and my father chooses to ignore it. I wish myself, and all the TW supporters could rent out a conference hall to watch this all unfold on the big screen. I feel a little empty with no one to share this utter elation with in the moment. I'm in my own little world, happy as hell in the victory, but lonely all the same. I'll go cry in the corner for a bit....

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Only TW could be 42 with a fused back and have a

Post-it-note on his bathroom mirror that says,

Goal: Win at least one major a year for the next 5 years.

; )

Maybe he should have put a post it note on his mirror the last 10 years... ;)

[media=]

[/media]

Ha!

My post-it-note be like,

1. Get taco stuff

2. Dumb@ss dinner with wifes friends Thurs

3. Get ***corn*** tortillas for Tacos

4. Water rubber tree

5. Tacos

thats the toughest one to swallow!!! best of luck, youll be in my prayers!

I think he'll end up with 90 tour victories and 15 majors.

He's already the undisputed GOAT, so no problem there.

Undisputed?! �� You must be new here.

Thats the problem right there. its a laughable statement at best but if you question it youre a "hater". the circle of life on here.

Haters and Fanboys! The two party system of WRX!

In all seriousness though debate is dead... Tigers record didnt change for 5 years and even now it slightly changed. his amazing major record hasnt changed in 10 going on 11 years so were left arguing the same things over and over in bad faith. Im in a unique position it seems in that I love both tiger and Jack and respect their career achievements. I have never met a defensive Jack fan on here or in real life but have met so many hypersensitive tiger fans who will not concede anything on on anything. To be fair though Tiger gets alot of moral preening from people who liked when his personal stuff knocked him down a peg. i personally dont care but to each their own. Tiger and Phil get outlandish things said about them because theyre still the top dogs despite their age so its to be expected but alot of it is self inflicted as well so it goes with the territory. Id love to see tiger try to chase down history, lets see how it plays out.

On a side note, I love that people love that he gave his thoughts on his mount rushmore of golf and how he "schooled" Jason day when he pointed to his putter and said that putter has won 12 majors after Day challenged him to ht 290 yard 3 woods. I wonder what would happen in here if Jack said or tweeted "hey Tiger scoreboard 18>14". I suspect it wouldnt be met with the glee weve seen here.

i am turning 73 next month and have been playing golf since i was 12 and have followed the careers of all the golf greats since i started the game..

i have read about the exploits of most of these guys and have admired the ff since the beginning:

walter hagen

bobby jones

gene sarazen

sam snead

byron nelson

ben hogan

jack nicklaus

tom watson

seve ballesteros

tiger woods

i just put those names randomly and only those who i feel are the greatest based on what i know and am surprised it came up to only 10 names..

these are the golfers i consider in a class of their own.

if i were to add some honorable mentions the only one that comes to mind is gary player.

unfortunately the only ones i saw in person were sam snead(in1980), arnold palmer(in 1962 and 1995), seve ballesteros(in1977 and 1995) and gary player(in 1962.1977,1991) but have seen all in videos or film..

Tiger and Jack are stil lthe head of this class...

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

If he gets 1 in 2019 I would say the chances of getting to 18 is 25%. If he somehow gets 2 in 2019 his chances are 75%+. If none are won in 2019 his chances are probably 5% of ever reaching it.

However, this is just like the winnng percentage odds on NFL Gamecast, the 99% likely scenarios can teeter-totter in the other direction in just one play(win). If he can get 2 by 45 he's still got an outside chance. Barring injury, I feel his game can hold up for about 5 strong years. I'd laugh if he had a Tom Watson moment in 15y and actually pulled it off to tie Jack or surpass him!

I wonder if Jack ever ponders a scenario where Tiger never falls from glory, never has injuries and asks himself, "To what heights could Tiger have really ascended if he'd never been set back for an entire decade???"

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

BTW Jack got his 18 majors without ever having any major health or personal issues at all and his last was at age 46..

Tiger has effectively lost 9 years for potentially winning majors counting from 2009 when all of his health and personal issues came to a boil and prior to that he was well ahead of Jacks's pace considering he was still only 33 when he got his 14th major..

inspite of all this--at 42-- there is now still a possibility of catching Jack if he can get 4 majors in the next 4 years---inspite of losing those 9 years!!

amazing!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

BTW Jack got his 18 majors without ever having any major health or personal issues at all and his last was at age 46..

Tiger has effectively lost 9 years for potentially winning majors counting from 2009 when all of his health and personal issues came to a boil and prior to that he was well ahead of Jacks's pace considering he was still only 33 when he got his 14th major..

inspite of all this--at 42-- there is now still a possibility of catching Jack if he can get 4 majors in the next 4 years---inspite of losing those 9 years!!

amazing!!

I don’t know if it’s meant this way or not, but that almost reads like it’s a negative against Jack. It would be similar to saying, if Jack hadn’t been so family oriented and had devoted more time to his game, his record would be better than it is.

All of those type things factor in over the years to build the entirety of a career.

Here’s what I find kind or ironic. Tiger’s injuries had to be contributed to by the violence of his swing. And now in his comeback, that same all out approach has lead (or at least contributed to) to that one swing each week that would prove costly. Now, the last two tournaments, he’s dialed it back just a touch, and the results speak for themselves.

amazing!!

I don’t know if it’s meant this way or not, but that almost reads like it’s a negative against Jack. It would be similar to saying, if Jack hadn’t been so family oriented and had devoted more time to his game, his record would be better than it is.

All of those type things factor in over the years to build the entirety of a career.

Here’s what I find kind or ironic. Tiger’s injuries had to be contributed to by the violence of his swing. And now in his comeback, that same all out approach has lead (or at least contributed to) to that one swing each week that would prove costly. Now, the last two tournaments, he’s dialed it back just a touch, and the results speak for themselves.

it was meant to be an acknowledgement of Tiger's amazing golf prowess...

BTW Jack has always been my idol and ideal role model and i named my only son after him...

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

amazing!!

BTW Jack has always been my idol and ideal role model and i named my only son after him...

Having read your posts over the years, I kind of figured it was that way. It just struck me that way reading it. I probably should have emphasized that more or better in my post.

amazing!!

"Major" injuries, lol, some irony in the description!

True, Jack never had a bad knee that caused the issues Tiger had, etc., but he had a hip that bothered him for most of his career, and in his prime. Not saying it's on the same level, but I'd argue as Jack aged and you saw his performance fall off for long stretches that had a lot to do with it, along with the way the golf schedule was set up back then and not playing as much year round. Injury and fitness issue and short game, for example, all things Jack made a point of addressing prior to his magical summer of 1980.

Trying to stay away from the issue of Tiger bringing a lot of these issues on himself, but for me that has always spoken more to his single-mindedness and determination in terms of the medical issues.

The other stuff - well, can't make excuses for that and it will always define a part of the Jack vs. Tiger argument that Tiger will never win.

Anyway, I'd sure love to see it about each golfer's career and quit the Tiger vs. Jack stuff but there is a segment of his fan base that seems to require Tiger be "the man" 24/7 no matter what (but there is a segment of the general golf fan base that will always dislike him no matter what, so they are just as irrational, at least when it comes to recognizing his ability).

Oh, and the number is 18, lol!

amazing!!

Great name by the way. I hear it’s reserved for upper level intelligence , heads of state and sports icons. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The math is just not in his favour beat jack now even if he does somehow manage to stay healthy and playing well.

To call him the GOAT now is silly. He is a solid number 2 (pun unintended), but Jack is the GOAT and I would guess he will be for a long long long time to come.

Math has nothing to do with it.

When Tiger turned pro and someone predicted back then, how much he would win, how many majors he would take, how many weeks as #1 on the list, how many consecutive cuts made etc. etc. What would math have told?

What did math tell us about Garcia winning a major?

Now that he’s healthy and playing well again, this question comes back into play. So, what do you think? Does he do it? Yes, No, Maybe. Feel free to explain the reasoning behind your answers below. I’m curious to see where the majority stands after the Win on the weekend.

Also, if he does break the record. Does he become the official undisputed GOAT?

Have a great day everyone, thanks for stopping by and voting. :)

Now that he’s healthy and playing well again, this question comes back into play. So, what do you think? Does he do it? Yes, No, Maybe. Feel free to explain the reasoning behind your answers below. I’m curious to see where the majority stands after the Win on the weekend.

Also, if he does break the record. Does he become the official undisputed GOAT?

Have a great day everyone, thanks for stopping by and voting. :)

He's already the GOAT!

i realize there is still a never ending debate on the GOAT but until Tiger exceeds Jack's 18 majors--or even just matches it--in the eyes of many specially the future generation the GOAT will always be the one with the most majors---all other things being equal.

i am both a Tiger and a Jack fan and i have accepted that reality...

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

I'm with those who put Tiger as #2 until he gets to 19 majors. Jack's 2nd-place finishes trump Tiger's total wins in that case (but it could be argued either way).

While he's looked amazing in this comeback, and had a really great chance at The Open and the PGA, time's not in his favour. Also, contending ain't actually winning, something he's yet to do.

Looking at his entire career, he came out of the gate red-hot and won a lot quickly.

Looking back at an arbitrary 15 years (2004, to get a larger sample than just the past 10) he's 6 of 46. That's pretty much 1 every 2 years.

I'm old enough to know that bodies no longer work the way you want them to as you get into your 40s.

Winning a major will be really difficult going forward. Not impossible, but winning 5 more is a huge task.

If he can drive the ball like he did last week his chances are better - but he and his team had the whole season to figure that out. Why was he spraying it just a few weeks before? Makes me think he won't keep that up consistently.

Why are Majors valued so much higher? They’re just a slightly deeper field and in some cases not even a deeper field depending on who makes it to the weekend. Why do they carry so much value? Why isn’t the TC considered as deep a field as a major value wise for example?

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Why are Majors valued so much higher? They're just a slightly deeper field and in some cases not even a deeper field depending on who makes it to the weekend. Why do they carry so much value? Why isn't the TC considered as deep a field as a major value wise for example?

Fascinating how the TC is now an almost-major. Did I miss something over the past few days?

I recall tuning in to watch Tiger in the first half of 17 play in Dubia (if I recall...it's been a while). I believe he didn't finish and he was simply awful. Even his short game and lag putting were not good. And his rank was like 1000+ something. Then he finished the year at the Hero and was ranked like 700 something.

I would have bet the farm he would never beat the young pups to gain a top 50 ranking. And now he is in the top 15.

I'm not going to underestimate this guy. He has repeated the same thing in most every interview for the past month or two...I'm just putting the pieces together to have a competitive swing. I bet he works twice as hard before The Masters (which based on his work ethic, might not even be possible).

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Math is a big problem here, 4 more major wins for Tiger and he ties Jack,

For undisputed status, Tiger needs five more major wins. Guys need to stop

Changing the goal posts.

Undisputed.. needs to surpass current record holder

Until then, all the drivel and banter means squat

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Why are Majors valued so much higher? They're just a slightly deeper field and in some cases not even a deeper field depending on who makes it to the weekend. Why do they carry so much value? Why isn't the TC considered as deep a field as a major value wise for example?

it's a combination of increases in media attention and coverage and prize money as the more obvious differences between majors and non-majors..

but if you ask any pro who has competed in both they will tell you the total experience is like day and night..

...AND the pressure to do well is well....a lot more!

am sure there are others who can add to this..but this is my take.

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

I hope so but no

I think he gets more 1 maybe 2

I think he gets a bunch more wins and by the time he retires will (still) be the undisputed goat.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

For me it's simple;

Tiger- Greatest player.

Jack- Greatest major champion.

sori but this doesn't work for me...it's a compromise---like having co-champions.

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60