2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Fan Hit by Koepka's Drive - **MERGED TOPICS**

TheGulag

Tactical Not Shouting (TNS) happens loads....mostly on the PGA tour. If they shout "Fore", the ball is more likely to miss the crowd and head into trouble or OB. So they keep quiet and get a better chance of a good bounce back into play off an unsuspecting spectator. Surely you are aware of this, nsxguy? I watch a lot of golf on TV over here in England, and it is a pet hate of the Sky Sports commentators.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this poor woman is going going to sue, if it is the sponsoring body she's going to sue, I would fight it tooth and nail to prevent a precedent being set. What happened is unfortunate, but she bears the largest part of the burden. As an aside, the same thing happened at the Dunhill yesterday, but that woman just got stitches.

Its pretty simple. If you dont want the increased chance of getting hit by a ball then dont go to a golf event. And definitely dont stand in the landing zone yardage.

Or just watch as players hit. I mean that IS why you are there right?

Most of all standing in the landing yardage of the big hitters and not watching brooks hit off the tee. What the heck were you there for?

I hope her suit is tossed out. Sadly it wont be.

Its a shame when you start to feel bad for someone in an unfortunate situation, then they pull something like this. I feel less bad for her.....

Huh? Put yourself in her situation...she LOST AN EYE !!! What would you do ? :russian_roulette: The sponsors and organizers SHOULD give her a settlement. Repeat: SHE LOST AN EYE !!!...they have insurance and won't miss the money. 'nuff said

Tactical Not Shouting (TNS) happens loads....mostly on the PGA tour. If they shout "Fore", the ball is more likely to miss the crowd and head into trouble or OB. So they keep quiet and get a better chance of a good bounce back into play off an unsuspecting spectator. Surely you are aware of this, nsxguy? I watch a lot of golf on TV over here in England, and it is a pet hate of the Sky Sports commentators.

I watch a lot of golf on TV, and a fair amount of PGA Tour golf in person. I've never heard of this "TNS". Can't tell if you're being serious or not.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Its a shame when you start to feel bad for someone in an unfortunate situation, then they pull something like this. I feel less bad for her.....

Huh? Put yourself in her situation...she LOST AN EYE !!! What would you do ? :russian_roulette: The sponsors and organizers SHOULD give her a settlement...SHE LOST AN EYE...and they won't miss the money. 'nuff said

I like this post. All the internet tough guys posting in this thread saying she's owed nothing would be doing exactly what she is doing right now if they were in her shoes. You see a payday, you grasp it. Especially if you have been permanently disfigured/severely injured.

It's why tort lawyers are rich men.

Huh? Put yourself in her situation...she LOST AN EYE !!! What would you do ? :russian_roulette: The sponsors and organizers SHOULD give her a settlement...SHE LOST AN EYE...and they won't miss the money. 'nuff said

I like this post. All the internet tough guys posting in this thread saying she's owed nothing would be doing exactly what she is doing right now if they were in her shoes. You see a payday, you grasp it. Especially if you have been permanently disfigured/severely injured.

Bunch of hypocrites

You can say with certainty that i would sue?

And where do my comments insinuate that im a “tough guy”

Just a guy with an opinion. Like you.

Huh? Put yourself in her situation...she LOST AN EYE !!! What would you do ? :russian_roulette: The sponsors and organizers SHOULD give her a settlement. Repeat: SHE LOST AN EYE !!!...they have insurance and won't miss the money. 'nuff said

Won’t miss the money? Is this money pulled out of thin air? Ultimately, other people will pay the price for this.

Bunch of hypocrites

If you lost one of your eyes, and had a chance to pry some cash off a cash hog sport such as golf, you wouldn't strike at that opportunity? If you truly wouldn't then you are a sanctimonious fool.

we're not talking about coffee burns here, we're talking about one of your eyes. How much is your vision worth to you? Everything has a dollar amount in this world.

Bunch of hypocrites

If you lost one of your eyes, and had a chance to pry some cash off a cash hog sport such as golf, you wouldn't strike at that opportunity? If you truly wouldn't then you are a sanctimonious fool.

we're not talking about coffee burns here, we're talking about one of your eyes. How much is your vision worth to you? Everything has a dollar amount in this world.

So if you go mountain bike riding in a state park and you fall and a stick puts your eye out, should the park operators have to pay a lawsuit settlement?

Or you’re driving with your window down and a car causes a rock in the road to hit you in the eye, does the driver’s insurance pay? The state?

let me further

Won't miss the money? Is this money pulled out of thin air? Ultimately, other people will pay the price for this.

Organizers of events such as golf tournaments are insured against these occurrences. Nobody is going to have to take a pay cut to make this woman whole again.

Bunch of hypocrites

Then call me a fool. Because i belive to my core that suing solely due to severity of an injury is wrong. And furthermore to do so just because “they have the money” is even worse.

Neglegence determines the deserving nature of suing. Not severity of injury.

Is she more deserving of money because of where it hit her?

If so how in the world will the tour prevent location of the injury?

let me further

Won't miss the money? Is this money pulled out of thin air? Ultimately, other people will pay the price for this.

Organizers of events such as golf tournaments are insured against these occurrences. Nobody is going to have to take a pay cut to make this woman whole again.

The insurance company collects premiums, people paying those premiums aren’t just event organizers but at the end of the day, the cost will be recouped via an increase to the general populace at some point

If you could show negligence on the part of the Tour, Euro Tour, etc. But could a lawyer show they were negligent? Should the lady have reasonably known the risk? Back of ticket says what?

What do they flash across the screen right before a hockey game? "Pucks and sticks can enter the stands at high rates of speed..." Same for baseball games. You know the risks, you accept the risk when you enter the gate.

As you may know or not, the lady who was hit by Koepka's wild drive on hole 6 on Friday morning session got her eye lost. She's apparently looking for some legal procedure against the organisation.

For my guide, is there any footage showing Brooks Koepka shouting "Fore Left" or anything like that ? I was in front of my screen and I'm pretty sure he did !

Sad story.....

Watched the replay on YouTube. While Brooks himself doesn’t hollar, multiple others (patrons or Marshalls) loudly called FORE LEFT. What I can’t tell is what if any warning was heard down range where to ball landed. It seems pretty quiet after the initial yells. I agree with others that far too many patrons wander around or don’t pay attention. Might or might not be the case here, but I’ve seen people hit at tournaments while walking along the fairway with their backs to the tee.

I think the lawyers would try to prove that the marshalls didn't work in unison to relay the call and direction from the tee to her location, and if the tee ball was so wild that communication was impossible, then they will argue negligence on the system of delivering a warning for such an errant tee shot.

But that's really all immaterial, these type of cases get settled. They would lose far more from any bad PR. Contrary to the moral commando's in this thread, the professionals that mediate these type of occurances understand it's just the cost of doing business. When you make tons of money, sometimes you have to dish some out to keep the ship in calm waters and moving forward.

She CHOOSE to be there.

Do I get a settlement if I choose to walk across a busy highway and get hit?

Its a freak accident. The tickets warn of the danger, she wasnt paying attention, everyone yelled fore.

She is responsible for her safety past that.

Do I think it would be nice for the Ryder Cup to take care of her, sure. Should they be legally compelled to? You must be joking

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

The Ryder Cup packs 50,000 or whatever number of people on a golf course and charge $$$. The RC knows better than the patrons where the danger areas are (such as a driveable par4) and can manage that risk better than patrons thru crowd control, warnings etc. If you invite a crowd is it gonna be harder to hear “fore†than on some local course where a mom follows her son in junior event, of course. This isnt your normal course once you pack it in.

Does that make the RC liable, depends, people might differ, the patrons can also do a lot to mitigate risk, but the RC can do a lot as well. It doesnt even have to be about the actual cause. You make that big of a crowd you are gonna have to take some responsibility for safety, warnings etc.

The other side of this tho is its prob a good business decision to just pay medical costs. Severe injuries are rare. Less than $1 per ticket over time. Maybe even pennies. Its just a fan friendly thing to do. And its not a big burden. Of course not talking punitive payments and theyd likely fight compensatory stuff outside of medical care too, but given all the talk in golf about chartible donations why in the world would big golf events draw the line and say no help to fans hurt at our events. Not even talking about the law, it just seems like an obvious thing to do when you are in the business of cultivating fans.

I actually hope what we’ve heard is all just posturing by attorneys and these debates on golfwrx are moot, just a bunch of people venting about the legal system generally, and behind the scenes this is actually getting taken care of.

She CHOOSE to be there.

Its a freak accident. The tickets warn of the danger, she wasnt paying attention, everyone yelled fore.

Do I think it would be nice for the Ryder Cup to take care of her, sure. Should they be legally compelled to? You must be joking

Just because someone chose to be there, doesn't absolve the organizers of all responsibility of a reasonable level of spectator safety. I'm not a lawyer so just winging this but, again, if fore was not clearly yelled, then you are basically saying it's just luck of the draw when a ball may hit you out of nowhere. I think it's reasonable for spectators to expect some standard of safety in effect for a particular situation. I guess the question is what is reasonable. Clearly yelling fore for starters for me.

I also think it's totally unfair to be talking about someone not paying attention, they should have seen the players driving, etc. You're talking about someone hitting 300 yards away while you're in the throng of a Ryder Cup crowd and you're a woman who is likely shorter than a lot of people around her. C'mon, whether you think there should be liability or not, I challenge you to stand greenside in a huge golfing event with a tee box 300 yards away (and this doesn't take into account whether it was even plausible to see the tee box from that perspective) and talk about paying attention. Again, this isn't the same as sitting down the third base line in a baseball game when it is clear to everyone when a pitch is thrown.

You’re probably right. Although I don’t see why that opinion makes anyone an “internet tough guy”, just because they have an opinion.

And if everyone in a similar situation did sue (which is likely, it’s the new way to get rich), it still doesn’t make it right.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned which parties are getting rich.

She CHOOSE to be there.

Just because someone chose to be there, doesn't absolve the organizers of all responsibility of reasonable attempts at spectator safety. I'm not a lawyer so just winging this but, again, if fore was not clearly yelled, then you are basically saying it's just luck of the draw when a ball may hit you out of nowhere. I think it's reasonable for spectators to except some standard of safety in effect. I guess the question is what is reasonable. Clearly yelling fore for starters for me.

It's an interesting thing if it was a driveable par 4.

A litigator could argue that it's an inherently negligent situation to have spectators standing unprotected in an area where, given the distance and expected accuracy, there is a very good chance they will be hit by a ball travelling at such high velocity.

It's not like spectators that line the fairway near a tee box since there is very little expectation a pro golfer would hit them.

She CHOOSE to be there.

Just because someone chose to be there, doesn't absolve the organizers of all responsibility of reasonable attempts at spectator safety. I'm not a lawyer so just winging this but, again, if fore was not clearly yelled, then you are basically saying it's just luck of the draw when a ball may hit you out of nowhere. I think it's reasonable for spectators to except some standard of safety in effect. I guess the question is what is reasonable. Clearly yelling fore for starters for me.

A litigator could argue that it's an inherently negligent situation to have spectators standing unprotected in an area where, given the distance and expected accuracy, there is a very good chance they will be hit by a ball travelling at such high velocity.

It's not like spectators that line the fairway near a tee box since there is very little expectation a pro golfer would hit them.

Yep, the driveable par 4 aspect is what I keep bringing up. Can imagine them saying the crowd was allowed to go too close to the green.

She CHOOSE to be there.

Agree, and I had posted similar earlier in the thread. They had folks crowded pretty close around that green and I don't know exactly where she was relative to the green, but I'd imagine a lot of them were standing within what would be a typical dispersion pattern for a driver off the tee. And by setting the hole up that way, you're encouraging those guys to hit that club. Just seems like that's a fairly likely argument to be made, but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

she didn't "lose" it man .. good god .. her eyeball EXPLODED .. jesus

you'd think they would at least consider some sort of out of court settlement.. i mean .. EXPLODED

Without placing blame or liability there are things that should be considered in the future;

1. Strong Warning for those by the green that it's a drivable par 4 and that patrons need to pay attention to the players, spotters etc.

2. I don't know where patrons were allowed to sit, but perhaps move the ropes a little farther back on a drivable par 4.

Terrible for the lady, life changing. It will also haunt Koepka forever.

I've never heard of this "TNS".

That's the whole point.

No, I am not aware of this.

In fact I went back and took another look at your post to see if it might have been tongue-in-cheek and I didn't see it.

In any case, this is the first time I've ever heard of this.

Is this something that a player or players have actually admitted ? Where ? When ? Link ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X