2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Reed Unhappy with Jordan and Jim in Interview

Holy Moses

Win with class, lose with class. So much dysfunction on this team, it's no wonder they were blown out. Reed clearly mishandled this situation, and Justine did him no favors. There's nothing to gain by your wife/handler getting involved. She has her right to her opinion and I understand her wanting to defend her husband, but it's a bad look. Reed does seem to be that guy that has trouble getting along with people no matter where he goes, but doesn't take responsibility. At some point, you have to look at the common denominator, which you can find in the closest mirror. So, who would want to play with this guy in the next RC?

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After sleeping on this , I still want to strangle both of them.

Unfortunately I identify with Reed and his social awkwardness on many levels. That I can admit. But I also feel like I have learned from some of the same mistakes he’s made ( I’ve made too ) , mistakes he doesn’t seem to learn from.

I’ve also been on jordans end of dealing with “ the weird guy “ who you’ve tried to befriend and later get taken advantage of by that guy . The way to handle that guy is either verbally or at times physically brake check him. You have to let a guy know where your line is. If he’s across it. Grab him by the ear and lead him back across. That doesn’t mean you make an enemy. It’s actually a good way to make a friend. But it has to be done either way.

The way I see it Jordan kind of slinked away from this confrontation for a while now. He made this worse by blind siding reed at the Ryder cup. passive aggressive move. This gives reed the ammunition to claim “ victim”. Mistake by Jordan in my opinion. You take a bully to task ASAP. Always.

Still shaking my head. I vote kick them both off the team until they can figure it out for good. And again. I say that as a fan of both.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's been reported by several media outlets, Reed shot 85 on Saturday. Maybe his wife should stay off social media and he should play better!

A few observations stemming from this fiasco. Furyk needs to be the captain, not a buddy. Force these two to play together if Furyk believes that's what's best for the team. Spieth needs to be a bit more thick-skinned and put his own personal feelings aside in favor of what's best for the team. Reed needs to be the antagonist that he obviously relishes. He just needs to remember to antagonize the European team, not his own!

The European's are far more cohesive as a team than the US. That becomes glaringly evident when this childish behavior takes away from what should otherwise be one of the best weeks in golf.

I bet the Americans almost dread the RC, particularly in Europe. Never works out there and always have to come up with answers which leads to airing dirty laundry. Team play is simply not it their DNA. They are more individualistic by nature which works out well in Majors and the PGA tour. Not so much in the RC.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

PR is a sore loser who needs to start pointing fingers. Golf always brings out a person's true character which he has shown over the years. This is really not surprising.

Ping G425 Max 9 Ventus TR Red 5S

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

I know they all fly to the Ryder Cup together, do they fly back together as well? It may be a bit awkward on that flight.

IDK about that but when they were showing Dechambeau playing the 18th against Noren and after his second into the green you could see several of the US players following up the fairway and Reed and Spieth were walking side by side chatting each other up and the conversation didn't appear to be unpleasant.

The NYT article wasn’t out yet at that point though.

Spieth went out of his way for years to give Reed a break when everybody else knew he was a complete j___-_ff. He even took him on as a partner when nobody else would.

Stopped reading your comment here because this is why the US did not win and Europe has dominated recently. Shouldn't matter who you are paired with, you get paid to play golf and it is your job, put your big boy pants on and WIN A DAMN MATCH.

They're not getting paid to play in the Ryder Cup. Such a shame that Reed had such a hack for a partner. I mean, who's even heard of that guy? Tiger who?

Haha! Reed said he wanted to play with Tiger, until after he played horribly.

I like Reed and root for him. I agree and disagree with some of his comments. I think he’s right when talking about his pairing with Spieth. I don’t care what the personal feelings are, I don’t see how you break them up. We’ll never know the outcomes of those matches had Furyk kept them together, but that screamed wrong decision when it was announced.

Reed and Spieth have both openly said that they want to beat each other out there. Spieth going so far to say that if they lose a hole he wants it to be Reed’s fault. So maybe whatever feelings Jordan has inside about Reed would’ve made them an even better pairing.

I do disagree with Reed on his comments about sitting twice. He flat out stunk in both matches with Tiger. I’m not sure how he can defend that statement.

Also as far as the comments Reed made in the past about the drop, and carrying Jordan in the Ryder Cup, i felt that after Reed beat Spieth in the match play event they seemed genuinely friendly shaking hands. Now maybe they were masking F yous under the smiles and hand shakes but I think that piece of it is overblown. And if spieth did have an issue with it then why not just say something to Reed?

Reed can be arrogant and annoying but the personal crap should have been dealt with before the first match. This is where guys like Tiger, Furyk and Phil step in and tell these guys to either fight or put their big boy pants on and go win a few matches for the team.

When I played football in H.S. our offensive tackle hated our QB and it hurt our team. The seniors got the 2 of them into the locker with the rest of the team blocking the doors and told them, either kick the crap out of each other or shake hands but we're not leaving here until one of those two things happen.

Don't leave me hangin'...

The beef was over a girl (no shock there) and they both realized she'd been playing them, QB was more popular, lineman had more money to spend on her, so they shook hands and dumped the girl. We still lost every game that season but we did it as a team.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I know they all fly to the Ryder Cup together, do they fly back together as well? It may be a bit awkward on that flight.

IDK about that but when they were showing Dechambeau playing the 18th against Noren and after his second into the green you could see several of the US players following up the fairway and Reed and Spieth were walking side by side chatting each other up and the conversation didn't appear to be unpleasant.

And yet, it didn't bother Reed at all to publicly stab Spieth in the back. Neither Reed nor his wife know anything about "taking the high road".

Anyone with any common sense whatsoever knows you don't do what Reed and his wife did.

All I know is Reed dropped a Motherf**ker after his tee shot on Saturday I believe when he dumped his tee shot into a hazard. When you're on TV and you drop the MF'er anyway, you know it's not going well for you.

However, to publicly call out your coach/team Captain out isn't in good taste. That's a talk you have in private.

If Reed had played well, then his opinion would mean a lot more. Tiger carried Reed in both those matches. If Furyk would have played Reed Saturday afternoon after he looked like an amateur in the morning we would be all over that decision. It's not like Spieth and JT were a bad pairing either. While Tiger didn't play great, he played much better than a lot of the guys and he played every match against what you could only call Europe's best group. I think that whole Captain America non-sense went to his head and he somehow thought he was just going to get points based off his past performance.

The whole "Americans just don't care about the Ryder Cup" conversation looks pretty accurate to me. They say they care about it and I'm guessing a few really do, but not the older guys. It's truly nothing more to them but an exhibition. They get to hang out and play some team games and if you win, its a big party.

I like Reed and root for him. I agree and disagree with some of his comments. I think he's right when talking about his pairing with Spieth. I don't care what the personal feelings are, I don't see how you break them up. We'll never know the outcomes of those matches had Furyk kept them together, but that screamed wrong decision when it was announced.

Reed and Spieth have both openly said that they want to beat each other out there. Spieth going so far to say that if they lose a hole he wants it to be Reed's fault. So maybe whatever feelings Jordan has inside about Reed would've made them an even better pairing.

I do disagree with Reed on his comments about sitting twice. He flat out stunk in both matches with Tiger. I'm not sure how he can defend that statement. Agreed. His form coming into the RC had been off for some time.

Also as far as the comments Reed made in the past about the drop, and carrying Jordan in the Ryder Cup, i felt that after Reed beat Spieth in the match play event they seemed genuinely friendly shaking hands. Now maybe they were masking F yous under the smiles and hand shakes but I think that piece of it is overblown. And if spieth did have an issue with it then why not just say something to Reed? Well if Reed genuinely felt he was the engine that drove that team then here was Spieth giving him the opportunity to prove it. And as someone posted earlier he shot something like 85 on Saturday. However Reed chooses to feel about the Reed/Spieth pairing is his business but some things you just shouldn't discuss in public.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

It's been reported by several media outlets, Reed shot 85 on Saturday. Maybe his wife should stay off social media and he should play better!

A few observations stemming from this fiasco. Furyk needs to be the captain, not a buddy. Force these two to play together if Furyk believes that's what's best for the team. Spieth needs to be a bit more thick-skinned and put his own personal feelings aside in favor of what's best for the team. Reed needs to be the antagonist that he obviously relishes. He just needs to remember to antagonize the European team, not his own!

The European's are far more cohesive as a team than the US. That becomes glaringly evident when this childish behavior takes away from what should otherwise be one of the best weeks in golf.

Phil has probably created more controversy at the Ryder Cup over the years than anyone. I have never seen Amy on social media or anywhere else defending him or getting into social media confrontations. Fame is fleeting - class is forever.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Am I the only one who thinks it was the right move to split them up? If Spieth was totally against it, then I have to believe there would be no chemistry on the golf course to warrant pairing them together "for the better of the team". I think that would have been an even worse disaster.

It's obvious that Reed's ego is driving his actions and have been for some time. He seems to constantly be searching for respect and approval. He comes off as an a#% and spoiled brat that is saying "Look at me....look at how great I am!" It must kill him that he is not on the same level as a Jordan Spieth. His wife doesn't help things any with her comments and continually defending him. Some people are just so delusional to the point that they live in their own little bubble never believing they do anything wrong...

- Josh

After sleeping on this , I still want to strangle both of them.

Unfortunately I identify with Reed and his social awkwardness on many levels. That I can admit. But I also feel like I have learned from some of the same mistakes he's made ( I've made too ) , mistakes he doesn't seem to learn from.

I've also been on jordans end of dealing with " the weird guy " who you've tried to befriend and later get taken advantage of by that guy . The way to handle that guy is either verbally or at times physically brake check him. You have to let a guy know where your line is. If he's across it. Grab him by the ear and lead him back across. That doesn't mean you make an enemy. It's actually a good way to make a friend. But it has to be done either way.

The way I see it Jordan kind of slinked away from this confrontation for a while now. He made this worse by blind siding reed at the Ryder cup. passive aggressive move. This gives reed the ammunition to claim " victim". Mistake by Jordan in my opinion. You take a bully to task ASAP. Always.

Still shaking my head. I vote kick them both off the team until they can figure it out for good. And again. I say that as a fan of both.

Darn, I'm back in.

Not totally disagreeing with you, and I wasn't there obviously and haven't been for the last several months, but this also assumes Reed is telling the truth about being "blindsided". Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Still don't think this came up for the first time on French soil like he makes it sound, but don't know.

I've heard all sorts of accounts about how nice he can be in person, etc. - just seems like he can be two different people. This side of him just isn't my favorite.

Reed given choices he's made and his demeanor plays the heel on the PGA Tour. He's a bit loud, brass, arrogant and besides Tiger doesn't seem to think much of his fellow competitors which has him on the outs with fans and other guys on the Tour. It seems he's embraced the role of America's version of Ian Poulter, especially when it comes to international team competitions. He spent a lot of time on the Euro Tour this year to improve his skills on Euro courses I believe to help improve his performance in Ryder Cup.

He came into this Ryder Cup with a Major under his belt and was ready to be "Captain America" this weekend, which got derailed when YJS refused to get paired with him and the only person to step up was Tiger. Reed couldn't be Cap America with Tiger, too much pressure, too much respect for Tiger and then to make it worse, he got benched. Reed lacks the self restraint or humility to let this end here so I fully expect we will hear more about how his chance to shine was squashed because Spieth bailed on their pairing.

This will be a test for Reed, he needs to keep that edge to him that keeps him hungry and winning but he has to learn how to play with others if he wants to be Ian Poulter on this side of the pond.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Didn't the Thomas/Spieth pairing go 2-1? Not bad in a Ryder Cup where you got crushed. And as others have said curious comments considering his own poor play

Reed probably isn't a terrible person, but he certainly seems like a tough guy to be friends with. The comments were a little unnecessary, even if there's some truth to them. He just seems like that guy that people don't like. Every group has one LoL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Am I the only one who thinks it was the right move to split them up? If Spieth was totally against it, then I have to believe there would be no chemistry on the golf course to warrant pairing them together "for the better of the team". I think that would have been an even worse disaster.

It's obvious that Reed's ego is driving his actions and have been for some time. He seems to constantly be searching for respect and approval. He comes off as an a#% and spoiled brat that is saying "Look at me....look at how great I am!" It must kill him that he is not on the same level as a Jordan Spieth. His wife doesn't help things any with her comments and continually defending him. Some people are just so delusional to the point that they live in their own little bubble never believing they do anything wrong...

- Josh

No. It was an obvious team and chemistry is everything. JT and Jordan are a natural team on a team with few natural teams. We should feel lucky we actually have one and again, everyone should have seen this coming.

Jordan was good enough to agree to team up with Reed a few years ago when others didn't want to, but it's time to move on. This BS all of a sudden that you put someone with someone they just plain don't like and they better get over it is silly. Again, the "they should man up and play together" nonsense is no different than Tiger/Phil with Hal and nobody is defending that. Just hypocritical, and I still think it's a combination of "Jordan stuck my guy with Reed" and "I never liked Jordan anyway so I'll complain".

Hasn't Reed tried to emulate Tiger? Why wouldn't he want to play with TW? That and JS and JT have what the Europeans have all throughout the locker room, good chemistry. JS and JT all day.

For a guy who publicly disdains his mother, Reed sure does have thin skin...or is it sour grapes...meddling wife?

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

Didn't the Thomas/Spieth pairing go 2-1? Not bad in a Ryder Cup where you got crushed. And as others have said curious comments considering his own poor play

Reed probably isn't a terrible person, but he certainly seems like a tough guy to be friends with. The comments were a little unnecessary, even if there's some truth to them. He just seems like that guy that people don't like. Every group has one LoL

They went 3-1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Hasn't Reed tried to emulate Tiger? Why wouldn't he want to play with TW? That and JS and JT have what the Europeans have all throughout the locker room, good chemistry. JS and JT all day.

For a guy who publicly disdains his mother, Reed sure does have thin skin...or is it sour grapes...meddling wife?

I think he did want to play with Tiger, but he just brought terrible ballstriking to the course. Not sure playing with Jordan would fix Patrick going OB/water/rough on every tee shot.

It's a personality thing, probably too much psycho babble for a golf forum but something a team captain or good business manager should know about when creating pairings.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Reed making friends for his Champions Dinner at Augusta, wonder if any champions have skipped the dinner.

Did Woods go to Sergios dinner?

LOL, Justine will be tweeting about who didn't eat Patrick's food and how he wanted to sit by Jordan but Jack made him sit in the corner.

Maybe Jordan can get his porterhouse to go ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Spieth went out of his way for years to give Reed a break when everybody else knew he was a complete j___-_ff. He even took him on as a partner when nobody else would. For his cooperation, he got Reed crapping on him every chance he got, and that's just what we've seen. Who knows what went on behind the scenes...it may have been even worse. We all know what it feels like to be misunderstood but, c'mon, Reed is misunderstood all day every day. The guy is just a complete d$ck. Finally, Jordan said "he's not mine to babysit anymore" and thought that maybe he'd behave himself around Tiger since Tiger seem to like Reed, so...problem solved. Who knew that he'd play like a dog like he did. All those pairings down the line lost due to poor play, not the lack of rapport among the teammates. This is on Reed. Spieth has been kicking himself since the day that he chose to be nice to the weird kid and had it backfire on him personally. Reed will NEVER, EVER get a Captain's pick, no matter the circumstances. This was a no-possible-win situation for YJS (given the loss).

After being a Reed defender since his amateur days, I have come to this conclusion: The problem is not that he is misunderstood, it is that he is understood perfectly.

Hard to focus on the task at hand when there's a soap opera swirling in the background. And both Reeds seem intent on fanning the flames...