2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Reed Unhappy with Jordan and Jim in Interview

Holy Moses

Didn't the Thomas/Spieth pairing go 2-1? Not bad in a Ryder Cup where you got crushed. And as others have said curious comments considering his own poor play

Reed probably isn't a terrible person, but he certainly seems like a tough guy to be friends with. The comments were a little unnecessary, even if there's some truth to them. He just seems like that guy that people don't like. Every group has one LoL

They went 3-1

Even better, so it's not like that pairing was a dud. And those guys actually like each other

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before this week, I had not heard of the Reed signing Spieth's neck thing - I just watched the video and it seems like something a buddy would do to another buddy. Maybe Reed completely misinterpreted his relationship with Spieth, but if that and his comment on the drop is what broke that partnership up, that is as petty as it gets from Spieth.

It was easy for Spieth to pair with his biddy JT, knowing JT could carry the team, if needed. Note, he didn't ask to be paired with Rickie, who has been a lackluster RC player. I don't know why Furyk would fall on the sword and break them up - he should have told Jordan to suck it up and play with Reed and we'd have been a much more balanced team if JT could have paired with someone else.

It is hilarious that Reed shoots what amounts to an 80+ and it is Tiger that is apologizing to him. You might not want to run the one guy over with a bus that gave you a shot Patrick, especially a man that will be selecting a Ryder Cup team of his own.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

All parties involved were right an wrong.

Spieth needs to have thicker skin. He and Reed are arguably the best USA pairing ever.

Furyk showed that he was a horrible choice for a team Captain. Thought he would be from the time he was announced.

Reed needs to stop crying. I agree with some of what he was saying more than the other two. He should had not been left out of the morning sessions. However, he was paired with his childhood idol. Shut your mouth, hit good shots and carry Tiger.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Let's examine Reed's other partner here...wife Justine. All from public articles...she enters his life and completely cuts him off from his parents and sister, even barred them from attending their wedding. She further isolates him by being his only caddie until she gets pregnant and then brings in her brother to take the job. His parents try to reach out to Patrick but he continues to shut them out, so decide to try by showing up at US Open at Pinehust in hopes of talking to him, and she has Security/Police remove them from the crowd. Any wonder the guy has problems developing a relationship in a team room??? He hasn't had but one relationship in last 7-8yrs of his like. So her jumping in on "Tweeter" only surprises me in the fact that she didn't grab a mic and do it during the team press conference...call CSI and ask them to dust for fingerprints and see which member of the Reed twosome dialed the NY Times last night..."Here Patrick, tell the nice lady how that awful teacher Mr Furyk and Jordan were so mean to you this week."

Am I the only one who thinks it was the right move to split them up? If Spieth was totally against it, then I have to believe there would be no chemistry on the golf course to warrant pairing them together "for the better of the team". I think that would have been an even worse disaster.

It's obvious that Reed's ego is driving his actions and have been for some time. He seems to constantly be searching for respect and approval. He comes off as an a#% and spoiled brat that is saying "Look at me....look at how great I am!" It must kill him that he is not on the same level as a Jordan Spieth. His wife doesn't help things any with her comments and continually defending him. Some people are just so delusional to the point that they live in their own little bubble never believing they do anything wrong...

- Josh

I actually look at it the opposite way. I don't think of Reed as a brat, but as a guy who is never given the respect he deserves and is continually looked down upon by the "cool kids table." He's not on that inside circle with Jordan, JT, and Rickie and Spieth getting pissed about the neck signing was his way of telling Reed "you're not one of us."

I think this bodes horribly for the future of the US Ryder Cup if Reed and Spieth continue to be on the team - there will always be "team Jordan" and then Reed on the outside. Reed needs another hot head like Bradley or Horschel to start making the team to pair with. He needs someone that matches his fire for the event.

Maybe Reed completely misinterpreted his relationship with Spieth, but if that and his comment on the drop is what broke that partnership up, that is as petty as it gets from Spieth.

That's how I see the situation. Reed was making jokes that friends would make. Except they aren't friends. Jordan was tolerating him and then got sick of it. I know nothing about how they interact in private, so I could be totally wrong about that, but that's the vibe I get.

Let's examine Reed's other partner here...wife Justine. All from public articles...she enters his life and completely cuts him off from his parents and sister, even barred them from attending their wedding. She further isolates him by being his only caddie until she gets pregnant and then brings in her brother to take the job. His parents try to reach out to Patrick but he continues to shut them out, so decide to try by showing up at US Open at Pinehust in hopes of talking to him, and she has Security/Police remove them from the crowd. Any wonder the guy has problems developing a relationship in a team room??? He hasn't had but one relationship in last 7-8yrs of his like. So her jumping in on "Tweeter" only surprises me in the fact that she didn't grab a mic and do it during the team press conference...call CSI and ask them to dust for fingerprints and see which member of the Reed twosome dialed the NY Times last night..."Here Patrick, tell the nice lady how that awful teacher Mr Furyk and Jordan were so mean to you this week."

You know what else cracks me up about those Justine tweets.

She's all "FAKE NEWS" about the Golf Channel and media in general.

...while insisting that mean old Spieth broke up the "most winning pairing in American History"...

which is factually incorrect, as that honor belongs to Arnold Palmer and Gardiner Dickinson.

Gotta love that! She even works in a randomly capitalized "H" for the full effect! Just phenomenal stuff from Justine. Top of her game for sure.

Maybe Reed completely misinterpreted his relationship with Spieth, but if that and his comment on the drop is what broke that partnership up, that is as petty as it gets from Spieth.

That's how I see the situation. Reed was making jokes that friends would make. Except they aren't friends. Jordan was tolerating him and then got sick of it. I know nothing about how they interact in private, so I could be totally wrong about that, but that's the vibe I get.

I think the “jokes” were mostly jokes but there was some jealousy there too. Reed was jealous that Spieth is the golden child and probably a little peeved that Spieth thinks that every little hairy situation on a golf course should go his way. Reed wanted the world to know that his play mostly supported Spieth’s Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup record too.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Yep, never will be friends and there's probably more to it than just the neck writing and Bay Hill drop. If I were Stricker/Phil/Tiger, I'd be thinking about who else might work with Reed and forget about salvaging that pairing.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

...while insisting that mean old Spieth broke up the "most winning pairing in American History"...

which is factually incorrect, as that honor belongs to Arnold Palmer and Gardiner Dickinson.

Gotta love that! She even works in a randomly capitalized "H" for the full effect! Just phenomenal stuff from Justine. Top of her game for sure.

Well on top of that, according to this: https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/report-reed-wife-wont-confirm-deny-tweets/ when she was approached by a Golf.com reporter and asked if those tweets were actually from her and her account her reply was "I can't really say. I don't know." How can you not know? If you're gonna start, or try to start, a dumpster fire own up to it for crying out loud.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

He shot in the 80’s on saturday!!! And he’s pissed he sat? He played with Tiger freakin woods. His childhood hero. All of this stems from him playing like complete dogsh*t.

Wife Justine definitely called the NYT and told Pat to talk. Though I’m sure he had no problem doing it. She is the root of a lot of issues. She’s just got to go.

My friends don’t throw me under the bus in public by complaining about a ruling, complaining about carrying me, or signing my neck with a Sharpie.

Reed may have some social issues, but my bet would be that people simply don’t like him.

drn92

Well on top of that, according to this: https://www.golfchan...rm-deny-tweets/ when she was approached by a Golf.com reporter and asked if those tweets were actually from her and her account her reply was "I can't really say. I don't know." How can you not know? If you're gonna start, or try to start, a dumpster fire own up to it for crying out loud.

Yeah, I caught that too. And thus the cycle of crying "FAKE NEWS" (or blaming other people) while not taking responsibility for your own actions (or shooting 85) is complete.

All this could have been avoided if someone had sorted him out nice seats at Fenway.....

I bet Spieth didn't want Reed sitting near him at the game /sarcasm

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

If this is accurate then Reed needs to get some help. I have a few family members that married individuals as described here and it cost them everything, their family, their friends, their jobs. Divisive people like this aren't satisfied until it's the 2 of them against everyone.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

We need to hear Spieth’s side of the story. However, I do agree with Reed about playing more because he lives for this moment similar to Poulter.

Furyk was a bad captain with questionable pairings and that is undeniable given the results. Yes, players have to play, but captains have to captain too. This was a complete failure on all accounts.

Agreed, you have to play Reed over Tiger at least one of those sessions, Tiger had zero energy and drug the team down.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Man, as someone who has always tried to defend Reed, this is a tough one. It's clear that he lacks social skills and does not have a filter. It's difficult to defend his behavior, especially since he doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes. I spent 30+ years in a team locker room, including 10 as a professional hockey player, and have seen Reed-like personalities many times. Unfortunately, on an actual team, when you have someone like Reed, they would usually get put into their place and forced to buck up by the captain or older veteran players, or would be shipped off/traded/waived. You conform to the team and what the team is doing or if you are a CANCER, as we called it, you were gone faster than your head could spin. Golf, being such an individual sport, with the exception of events like the PC and RC, simply don't have the mechanism in place. If you are a D-Bag/Cancer, you are just an outcast on tour, which clearly Reed is. No one seems to like him. If he was playing a team sport, he wouldn't be on the team or he would be doing the team thing and conforming. Maybe he mistook his relationship with Spieth as a friendship...who knows; obviously none of us are privy to the details of what that looks like. But I would imagine if any of you, myself included, merely tolerated someone in a social setting, and then heard of them making disparaging comments about carrying me in a competition (whether you did carry him or not, you don't publicly say that), or insinuating preferential treatment during a ruling on tour, and then ice the cake by signing my neck/back, I would shut that person out and be done with them. Who does that? I can't imagine signing Jordan's neck as anything BUT a form of showing the guy up/bullying UNLESS they were tight buddies, and it was a prank, which clearly isn't the case with their relationship, and by Jordan's reaction to him while he did it; he just stood there. Imagine if JT, Rickie, DJ etc has done that? Jordan would have laughed etc etc. Just my two cents as someone that has seen this stuff inside a locker room daily for 30yrs of my life. There's always some bad apples. Whether those guys stick around the team could always be controlled by management, but no so much in this setting/competition. Remember the Fenway fiasco? I think guys don't like him and don't want to be around him, unfortunately.

I don't get all the hate for Spieth on this one. We don't know how that conversation went about playing with Reed. Could have been as simple as "who do you want to play with?" and he answered JT. Pairing worked and they went 3-1. Will be a solid team for years to come.

Reed (f/k/a Capital America) should be able to win with anyone given how good he thinks he is. His play was just plain horrible in the team formats. Just suck it up and say "I played poorly and that's why I lost and didn't play 5 matches", but we all know his ego is too big for that. I don't put any blame on Furyk for not having the Spieth/Reed pairing. I thought both the new pairing were solid. Reed and Tiger just didn't play well and got beat. Simple as that.

[color=#A9A9A9][b]Driver:[/b] 2016 TM M1 9.5* / Atmos Black 7 TX
[b]Fairway:[/b] 2017 TM M1 15* / Tensei Pro White 80 TX
[b]Irons:[/b] TM 790 UDI 2 Iron / HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist T-MB 4 Iron / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2's 5-PW / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Wedge:s[/b] Vokey SM6 50.08F, [color=#A9A9A9]56.10S & [color=#A9A9A9]60.08M[/color] [/color] / TT Dynamic Gold S-300
[b]Putter:[/b] TM Spider Tour Black T-Line 34"[/color]

We need to hear Spieth’s side of the story. However, I do agree with Reed about playing more because he lives for this moment similar to Poulter.

Furyk was a bad captain with questionable pairings and that is undeniable given the results. Yes, players have to play, but captains have to captain too. This was a complete failure on all accounts.

Agreed, you have to play Reed over Tiger at least one of those sessions, Tiger had zero energy and drug the team down.

Or put Tony with Tiger, get after it! Would have made a lot more sense than sending out a guy who was barely breaking 90 when Tiger wasn't playing great, but maybe just needed a lift, and played a lot better than Reed. Or sat them both.

Man, as someone who has always tried to defend Reed, this is a tough one. It's clear that he lacks social skills and does not have a filter. It's difficult to defend his behavior, especially since he doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes. I spent 30+ years in a team locker room, including 10 as a professional hockey player, and have seen Reed-like personalities many times. Unfortunately, on an actual team, when you have someone like Reed, they would usually get put into their place and forced to buck up by the captain or older veteran players, or would be shipped off/traded/waived. You conform to the team and what the team is doing or if you are a CANCER, as we called it, you were gone faster than your head could spin. Golf, being such an individual sport, with the exception of events like the PC and RC, simply don't have the mechanism in place. If you are a D-Bag/Cancer, you are just an outcast on tour, which clearly Reed is. No one seems to like him. If he was playing a team sport, he wouldn't be on the team or he would be doing the team thing and conforming. Maybe he mistook his relationship with Spieth as a friendship...who knows; obviously none of us are privy to the details of what that looks like. But I would imagine if any of you, myself included, merely tolerated someone in a social setting, and then heard of them making disparaging comments about carrying me in a competition (whether you did carry him or not, you don't publicly say that), or insinuating preferential treatment during a ruling on tour, and then ice the cake by signing my neck/back, I would shut that person out and be done with them. Who does that? I can't imagine signing Jordan's neck as anything BUT a form of showing the guy up/bullying UNLESS they were tight buddies, and it was a prank, which clearly isn't the case with their relationship, and by Jordan's reaction to him while he did it; he just stood there. Imagine if JT, Rickie, DJ etc has done that? Jordan would have laughed etc etc. Just my two cents as someone that has seen this stuff inside a locker room daily for 30yrs of my life. There's always some bad apples. Whether those guys stick around the team could always be controlled by management, but no so much in this setting/competition. Remember the Fenway fiasco? I think guys don't like him and don't want to be around him, unfortunately.

The only sure way to remove any cancer would be to eliminate automatic qualifying and let the next captain pick all 12 players.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini