Ping Sigma2 Putters

I'm honestly not having a hard time thinking everyone mentioning a soft putter shaft is taking full on Mark McGwire hacks in the store with these putters.

I'm a putter whore. Through and through. No one can challenge that. I agree, these are all very soft feeling and don't provide great feedback.

They are dead sexy though and the colors are great.

The shaft softness, I disagree with statements stating it's too soft. I just outright disagree. You show me a video of the shaft "waggling" and i'll respect your opinion more. I didn't feel that in any of the models.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm honestly not having a hard time thinking everyone mentioning a soft putter shaft is taking full on Mark McGwire hacks in the store with these putters.

I'm a putter whore. Through and through. No one can challenge that. I agree, these are all very soft feeling and don't provide great feedback.

The shaft softness, I disagree with statements stating it's too soft. I just outright disagree. You show me a video of the shaft "waggling" and i'll respect your opinion more. I didn't feel that in any of the models.

I’m also a putter ho / collector. Check out my witb thread. I’m serious the shaft is crazy! Atleast the one in my Tyne 4 is. I’ll be shocked if a tour player uses this shaft in one of the 370 heads .

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

The shaft flex was not very noticeable to me. It did not alter the way the putts rolled in my opinion. I only noticed it because i read it on here and i did compare it to my other putters and it does flex more but i dont think it would matter playing. The other putters flexed some too but not quite as much. The kushin c, the model i bought, just did not feel balanced, felt very head heavy, which is why i decided to return it. I loved the look of the head and thought the ball coming off of it felt pretty good

I'm also a putter ho / collector. Check out my witb thread. I'm serious the shaft is crazy! Atleast the one in my Tyne 4 is. I'll be shocked if a tour player uses this shaft in one of the 370 heads .

I totally believe you brother, man! Maybe, just on that model, I didn't give it a good waggle but, it was definitely the most appealing one to me other than the Anser so I spent most time with those two.

I gotta buy some stuff at my store tomorrow. I'll give them a "waggle".

I'm also a putter ho / collector. Check out my witb thread. I'm serious the shaft is crazy! Atleast the one in my Tyne 4 is. I'll be shocked if a tour player uses this shaft in one of the 370 heads .

I totally believe you brother, man! Maybe, just on that model, I didn't give it a good waggle but, it was definitely the most appealing one to me other than the Anser so I spent most time with those two.

Waggle a putter?
Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Sorry if it's been discussed...but anyone else rolled the wolverine h? That's basically the putter I've been trying to find...high moi mallet with plumber's neck hosel...just rolled it and liked it. Just can't show up at the house with another putter right now...I don't think...

I picked up one of these and the Zb. Really like it.

I have come around on these but like many thought the feel was way too soft at first. The more I roll them though, the more I like the feel. At first though, coming from a Betti, I thought it was crazy soft. I wanted a Tyne slight arc which no one had in store so I ordered one from PGA SS who apparently dont read shaft labels and sent me a straight arc. Sending that one back and ordered again, so I hope the correct one shows up today.

Waggle a putter?

Yes. Waggle - "move or cause to move with short quick movements from side to side or up and down."

And, L's and G's, I stand corrected. The putter shafts have a little side to side play in them but, here is the real caveat, I think the softness of the stick, contributes the overall soft feel of the putter. Does that make sense?

Now, I still thoroughly disagree that this will really inhibit anyone putting ability. You're not taking any 9 to 3 swings, here, I hope. But, it is curious of the designers.

Cool stuff overall.

Got a chance to try these putters and really liked the improved face over the previous models. As I currently play a TM Spider putter I prefer the softer face and these new putters are pretty nice and produce a nice soft, dull thud. The Fetch is nice but a little too small however the Valor might be better. I think Ping really missed the boat on the grips and lacking the ability to install a counterbalanced grip and weight on the putter however and would likely keep me from buying one.

Quick update on the new Sigma 2 line:

• Rolled them again in the shop, and can confirm what others have reported about the soft shaft (that's what she said)
  • It sounded ridiculous to me at first, but when I actually checked the putters and waggled them around, the shaft felt incredibly soft; very flexible.
  • I don't think this affected distance or dispersion as my putts seemed to be reacting as expected based on my input, but the shafts feel like senior shafts IMO.

And these findings come at a time when there's talk of stability putter shafts with incredibly low torque!! :P

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

Any chance of a lighter Tyne 4? They look good, but anything over 340 grams is too heavy for me. 330 would be ideal. Not a fan of all of the putters getting heavier and heavier

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Anyone tried a Tyne 4? I can't stop looking at that putter and I am a blade guy. Something about it intrigues me.

TSI3 9 Pro White
TSI2 15  Pro White

TSI2 18  Pro Blue/MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron Pro White
PXG 0311T P-7/0311P 6-4
VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
CAMERON NEWPORT 2/CAMERON 6M
PRO V1X

Any chance of a lighter Tyne 4? They look good, but anything over 340 grams is too heavy for me. 330 would be ideal. Not a fan of all of the putters getting heavier and heavier

I would suggest you give it a try. I’m a blade guy with a strong arc and usually like my putters around 345. I thought 370 would be ridiculously heavy, but it wasn’t. I was very surprised.

Anyone tried a Tyne 4? I can't stop looking at that putter and I am a blade guy. Something about it intrigues me.

I’m a blade guy as well and I really like the Tyne 4. It’s well balanced and easy to align. I was very surprised how much I liked it. I just got fit at Ping and they put me in a Tyne 4.

I would suggest you give it a try. I’m a blade guy with a strong arc and usually like my putters around 345. I thought 370 would be ridiculously heavy, but it wasn’t. I was very surprised.

Oh I’ve tried everything from 350 to 400, mallet and blade, face balanced and toe hang, and couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get the ball started on the line I was aiming at consistently until I went lighter and have since never putt better. It’s just what works for me!

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Played with a Fetch, and some confirmations...

Fetch might be a "gimmick", but it's easily the hottest model for a few reasons. #1 is it's back-saving. #2 it really is a good putter. #3 the "ball" outline is a surprisingly effective alignment aid.

Yes, you can pluck a ball out of a hole.

You'd have to be a complete knob to cause damage to a hole/cup.

Yes, the shaft is more flexible than normal.

For me, and this is where it gets subjective, I didn't find the soft shaft affecting anything for performance. It felt a little softer, and by all means it's a personal thing, but I'd get used to it very quickly. I had a go with it just to show some guys the novelty, including a tradie buddy of mine who thought I was an idiot for not getting a $5 suction cup addition. :stink:

Anyhow, the big winner is whoever is running Ping's material inventory. The fact that they aren't shipping sizes to retail is amazing from a business perspective. Between the Fetch ball retrieval and the adjustable length, it truly is a different putter, and probably the most unique jump in putters in a long time. Whether you like it or not, gosh, they're just so personal, but the designer that got this one needs a serious bonus.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Finally managed to try the ZB on a practice green, this thing feels great but I really struggled to get the ball to the hole.

Further testing required!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Went and tried several putters today and ended up leaving with the Sigma 2 Tyne. I find the face to be soft but solid. For my liking it definitely has a better sound and feel compared to the Sigma G Doon that I previously had in play for a couple of months.

As for shaft flex, I did not notice anything, but I was playing them at 32", and at that length the shaft felt as solid as any other putter.

I got out on Sunday after some torrential rain Saturday night for my first round with the Tyne slight arc and have to say I came away impressed. I had only used it on my inside putting green up until Sunday so I wasn't sure what to expect outside on real greens. Was the shaft going to flex so much I was going to get too much #side sauce on putts? Was the head too heavy? Was it going to be so wet I couldn't get anything to the hole?

Surprisingly the greens were rolling pretty nice for how wet and how much rain we got Saturday night. I had zero issues with shaft flex or with how soft the face felt when I initially rolled these putters in the store. My lag putts were fantastic and my short putts were also very good but I left a few in the 15-20' range short for some reason. I felt like the idea of the inserts actually worked when hitting the longer lag putts.

Where Ping missed the boat is the shaft. I think the adjustable shaft is a great idea but they should have gone with a black shaft.

Played with a Fetch, and some confirmations...

Fetch might be a "gimmick", but it's easily the hottest model for a few reasons. #1 is it's back-saving. #2 it really is a good putter. #3 the "ball" outline is a surprisingly effective alignment aid.

Yes, you can pluck a ball out of a hole.

You'd have to be a complete knob to cause damage to a hole/cup.

Yes, the shaft is more flexible than normal.

For me, and this is where it gets subjective, I didn't find the soft shaft affecting anything for performance. It felt a little softer, and by all means it's a personal thing, but I'd get used to it very quickly. I had a go with it just to show some guys the novelty, including a tradie buddy of mine who thought I was an idiot for not getting a $5 suction cup addition. :stink:

Anyhow, the big winner is whoever is running Ping's material inventory. The fact that they aren't shipping sizes to retail is amazing from a business perspective. Between the Fetch ball retrieval and the adjustable length, it truly is a different putter, and probably the most unique jump in putters in a long time. Whether you like it or not, gosh, they're just so personal, but the designer that got this one needs a serious bonus.

Update - played a full round today. Not a doubt in the world that a Fetch isn't fantastic. Yes, I know it's "won on tour". DGAF. Please forget the gimmick and try one. Yes, it's soft. Yes, it's got the ball picker upper. My group today watched me putt with it today, and they were dying to give me a hard time. Couldn't. Putted lights out, and made long putt after long putt. One quirk; I had a 4-putt. Missed a few 2-footers because who knows. The guys were talking about it like they were puzzled, not like it was worth giving me guff.

Sure, that's one guy with one round, but this is a great putter. I normally say on here play whatever works, and I know brand affinity, but wow. Just wow. The honeymoon was bangin'.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I picked a Fetch up today and put it up against my custom fit gamer. I adjusted the grip length so they were identical and hit two putts, one with each, from various distances for the last 2 hours. Simply put, the Fetch is now in my bag. It did make it an easy decision seeing as my gamer was a mid mallet, faced balanced putter and the length was fitted exact so I could take these attributes and fit myself into the Fetch. But what won it for me was the face insert. It's the best feeling putter I have ever rolled. And I have a cubord full of them with my most recent being an Evnroll Er2 CS. I hit putts with the whole Sigma 2 lineup before I pulled the trigger and the Fetch was the best feeling out of the lot. Second was the Tyne in black. If you already know your stroke type it's a no brainer to try one of these with the added grip adjustability. I'm not crazy on the color scheme but I don't care what it looks like when its rolling putts as well as it does.

After spending about two hours playing around with this line I really like the Tyne. After reading this thread, I see two main issues that people are talking about so my questions are listed below.

Shaft flex. I saw no problem with shaft flex though I was not looking for any kind of shaft flex in a putter. I really did not "swing" the putter so I am wondering what the problem is.

Feel. Some people say it is too soft. Does it really matter how soft it is? I mean you hit the ball and it goes forward. How does softness affect your putting stroke?

Just wondering. Thanks

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I think that people who are open to change and willing to try a more flexible shaft are going to love the whole series. Those that think for putters that 'the stiffer, the better' will not like these nearly as much. They're not for everyone, but those that are the right type of roller are going to love them.

I think that people who are open to change and willing to try a more flexible shaft are going to love the whole series. Those that think for putters that 'the stiffer, the better' will not like these nearly as much. They're not for everyone, but those that are the right type of roller are going to love them.

I am not trying to start an argument but I did not feel or see a more flexible shaft on the putters. Just me...

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I am not trying to start an argument but I did not feel or see a more flexible shaft on the putters. Just me...

Just pick any two putters (one ∑2), and hold them and bend/flex them. It's very obvious when you compare the two.

After spending about two hours playing around with this line I really like the Tyne. After reading this thread, I see two main issues that people are talking about so my questions are listed below.

Shaft flex. I saw no problem with shaft flex though I was not looking for any kind of shaft flex in a putter. I really did not "swing" the putter so I am wondering what the problem is.

Feel. Some people say it is too soft. Does it really matter how soft it is? I mean you hit the ball and it goes forward. How does softness affect your putting stroke?

Just wondering. Thanks

Feel is very personal and subjective. I golf with a dude who cant stand a soft feeling putter face, its just what he prefers. It took me a few visits to the store before I decided it wasnt too soft and bought one.