Driver vs Driver 2

NixLix26

Catching up on this show right now. Everyone loves the Cortex, but it looks too much like the Epic/Rogue. Gotta differentiate yourself a little more. Shiels only hit it 270 yards and he's at least 300 on youtube with other drivers.

When they are at the PGA show, the tracer has the balls going straight up in the air. Why? It makes it look like the ball isn't going anywhere.

I noticed that as well. Shiels supposedly hits some fairway woods up around 300 yards on his own juiced monitor. This launch monitor was still juiced to impress the viewers, but seemed a bit closer to reality. Unfortunately for Shiels, everyone now knows his actual numbers are no where near what his home monitor spits out.

I actually feel like he was right were he was supposed to be.

I watch alot of his videos and he swings around 110-112 and carries 280+

On this day where "maybe" he didn't warm up, he swung 108 and carried 270+, i think that's pretty fair?

He's also a host, and wasn't brought in to hammer shots when MGS and that CB guy swung way faster.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching up on this show right now. Everyone loves the Cortex, but it looks too much like the Epic/Rogue. Gotta differentiate yourself a little more. Shiels only hit it 270 yards and he's at least 300 on youtube with other drivers.

When they are at the PGA show, the tracer has the balls going straight up in the air. Why? It makes it look like the ball isn't going anywhere.

I noticed that as well. Shiels supposedly hits some fairway woods up around 300 yards on his own juiced monitor. This launch monitor was still juiced to impress the viewers, but seemed a bit closer to reality. Unfortunately for Shiels, everyone now knows his actual numbers are no where near what his home monitor spits out.

On this day where "maybe" he didn't warm up, he swung 108 and carried 270+, i think that's pretty fair?

He's also a host, and wasn't brought in to hammer shots when MGS and that CB guy swung way faster.

Carry was 250, 270 total

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I think 25-30 yards is a pretty large variance ... but to each their own. If I had my own youtube channel, I would probably turn up the calibration as well. I mean, it's always fun hitting 210 yard 6 irons at DSG. lol

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

It was interesting seeing all the youtubers hitting the different drivers. Most of them were hitting all the models very similarly. It was interesting seeing all the testers hitting 275-280 carry and rolling out to 300+ - some even a little further. I think you got some interesting comments especially from the MGS people. It really seems that the Z track model is too gimicky, the 3 hole model is boring and the remaining one looks pretty close to a TM model. The latter is likely the winner as the other two just won't sell but we'll see. Granted the show is really just a publicity opportunity for Wilson and I can't imagine they really care too much about selling this driver but more about getting people to get exposure to all of their products, but I'm amazed how little difference there is with these drivers from what is currently available from all the manufacturers. They've pretty much reached the end of innovation for the drivers it appears.

GC Quad and Trackman also measure swing speed slightly differently and Trackman will always be a few MPH lower with a driver. Also, GC Quad is measuring condition neutral ball flight and Trackman is measuring actual distance.

Carry was 250, 270 total

ah weird, i just watched it last night, must not have paid close attention lol

Shiels has similar speed, launch, AoA and spin numbers as I do. I’m a hair faster. On Trackman, I average 275 yards carry in Florida (roughly 30 feet above sea level) with a max of 288. With my 3-wood it’s 255 with a max of 272.

RH

GC Quad and Trackman also measure swing speed slightly differently and Trackman will always be a few MPH lower with a driver. Also, GC Quad is measuring condition neutral ball flight and Trackman is measuring actual distance.

there are lots of vids out there comparing GC quad and trackman and the numbers are essentially identical.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

It was interesting seeing all the youtubers hitting the different drivers. Most of them were hitting all the models very similarly. It was interesting seeing all the testers hitting 275-280 carry and rolling out to 300+ - some even a little further. I think you got some interesting comments especially from the MGS people. It really seems that the Z track model is too gimicky, the 3 hole model is boring and the remaining one looks pretty close to a TM model. The latter is likely the winner as the other two just won't sell but we'll see. Granted the show is really just a publicity opportunity for Wilson and I can't imagine they really care too much about selling this driver but more about getting people to get exposure to all of their products, but I'm amazed how little difference there is with these drivers from what is currently available from all the manufacturers. They've pretty much reached the end of innovation for the drivers it appears.

there are lots of vids out there comparing GC quad and trackman and the numbers are essentially identical.

The swing speed with a driver will always be lower on trackman than on GC quad simply because of the way it's measured. GC Quad is measuring the speed of the face while Trackman is measuring the speed of the CoG of the club. With an iron this is a trivial difference, but with a driver the CoG is not very near the face.

If you normalize your Trackman, the numbers for it and GC quad will be virtually the same. However, if you don't set the Trackman to normalized it measures the actual distance of the ball. Wind, temperature, elevation, etc all can change the distance; which Trackman will capture but GC Quad won't.

Watched last night for the first time since the first episode. It was okay. Seemed to be way too much emphasis on smash factor but someone apparently thought that would resonate more on TV? Am I right they were showing spin numbers but not launch angle? I was wanting a little more discussion of the numbers and what the significance was, not a lot, but more AND less, way less, of the guy from last time who just can't stop lobbying. Aargh.

No reason to pick on Shiels. He got up cold, hit a couple, they were respectable.

Probably pass on next week, just don't care what a bunch of celebs like or what their personal numbers are. Looks like a yawner.

Watched last night for the first time since the first episode. It was okay. Seemed to be way too much emphasis on smash factor but someone apparently thought that would resonate more on TV? Am I right they were showing spin numbers but not launch angle? I was wanting a little more discussion of the numbers and what the significance was, not a lot, but more AND less, way less, of the guy from last time who just can't stop lobbying. Aargh.

No reason to pick on Shiels. He got up cold, hit a couple, they were respectable.

Probably pass on next week, just don't care what a bunch of celebs like or what their personal numbers are. Looks like a yawner.

I was under the assumption that smash factor or efficiency is what drives most fittings and marketing no? I know pros always talk ball speed, but that’s because their smash is going to stay between 1.48-1.51

Forever Changing at this point.......

The end of driver innocation has not been reached. In the last two years, Callaway’s jailbreak, TaylorMade’s Twistface, and Ping’s ability to make a club go faster and smaller without losing forgiveness have moved technology forward a little. These are not the big gains of 20 years ago, but they are there. Problem is that Wilson is just copying these designs. There’s not really anything new in the three finalists. Tim Clark admitted as much before the show. He just wants to close the gap between Wilson and the leaders. A TV show is one unique way to do that.

I was under the assumption that smash factor or efficiency is what drives most fittings and marketing no? I know pros always talk ball speed, but that’s because their smash is going to stay between 1.48-1.51

Ball speed is most important

Ping Vault Arna

I was under the assumption that smash factor or efficiency is what drives most fittings and marketing no? I know pros always talk ball speed, but that's because their smash is going to stay between 1.48-1.51

The guy I've used for driver fittings over a period of many years is top notch, and he seems to talk more about and focus on (with me anyway) launch angle and spin rate. Obviously we are looking at distance and ball flight and hitting to the outdoors, not just a sim, but "smash" never comes up. Had a nice Wishon driver made for me by Kadin years ago and smash factor wasn't any piece of what he needed among the data I collected for him.

No expert fitter here and limited experience with it, but seemed to be over mentioned and over emphasized in the show last night as the "be all" by the "host" who couldn't leave it alone. Most of the testers seemed to be alluding to other numbers in framing their remarks.

Walkerdb7, thanks for the info and insight. Do you think 3d printing is viable option down the road to produce golf clubs? Do you think further down the road, people could use online templates to create their own drivers and have them built via 3d printing? This is an awesome concept and could be the future of specialized clubs.

Absolutely.

Right now when we buy "custom fitted" clubs we are just buying a stock product adjusted to fit our swings. 3D printing would allow us to actually customize the products. Imagine doing an iron fitting and actually being able to customize the top line thickness, blade length, or CG location.

It would be the different between buying a suit and having it tailored and buying a bespoke suit made to measure.

right and that driver will cost $3500!

Uhhhh nope, not at all...

Under Armour is using our technology to produce shoe mid soles and they sell for $250. Chanel is using our technology to make mascara brush tips and they sell for $35.

I am sorry, but I can't divulge more than that.

If you have experience with our technology, you cannot compare cost for a 1 off prototype and an optimized process for production

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

Personally I think it's a great show and very enjoyable. The technology to 3D print these heads from metal powder then get them to perform is mind-blowing!.

Incredible the difference between them in noise and feel is interesting.

Just a shame some of the dumb negative comments in this thread couldn't be more subjective in their outlook. If Woods or Speith were doing the exact same in this show the Hard-Ons for the results would be

spectacular.

Thanks! Golf incorporating 3D printing is a when and not an if. It's coming.

Hi All, My name is Jon and I work for EOS 3D printing. My company supported this week's episode of the show. Ti 3D printing was used to build the prototypes used for show.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone has!

Here's an article about the upcoming episdoe:

https://golfweek.com...-in-drivers-ed/

Jon, the whole 3D printing experience I find mind-blowing. To make a working prototype type from 'powder' is truly ingenious. I'm not sure posters ion this thread realise the step forward your company have made.

Wilson have taken a bashing from a few here, but can I assume that their R&D is as good as anyone's?

Hi All - Sorry for the multiple posts. I had everything is one reply and it crashed my browser. I figured I'd respond separately.

Wilson is #1 in tennis and baseball. They part of the Amer sports group which owns some other titans like Solomon, Atmoic skies, and Precor fitness. Although Wilson golf does have the excitement of TaylorMade or PXG at the moment, they have all the proper resources and some great people. They are using CAD, FEA, and robot club testing. I can't speak if Wilson if has an apples to apples budget with Callaway, but the golf division has the tools to make good product. The golf division is profitable as a stand alone leg too.

Sorry if that sounds like an infomercial, but it's not meant to be. I don't game any Wilson clubs and didn't get any freebes. I just learned a lot about them in this process and think people should be more open to them.

Was kind of surprised to see the launchpad go. No way Jimmy wins it. Doesn't look like he likes to listen to any input from others and is as cocky as ever. Nobody likes the look of his driver and he won't change it drastically.

It will be interesting to see if the roswell is able to improve ball speed/smash factor. If not, the winner will be between cortex and magnus.

Did anyone else catch the spin numbers for the Cortex for one of the testers?

They were sub 1500, including one that was sub 1100

Just helped the total distance when his rollouts were crazy

I noted it in an earlier post. One of the shots Sam Robinson hit with it returned 1011 for spin? But still 260+ carry and 300+ total?

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I think they are setting up the guy that created the Roswell to either return next season to further develop to maybe even offer him a gig. He seems like the only guy with enough ideas going on.. but he has ideas that will take more than a rush to get worked out.

As far as the rest of the show... they should have focused on building the most efficient, best performing driver... all the gimmicks in the world to have non functional ballistics... odd.

Also Cart Barn Guys dude much more natural on his own feed. Very nervous on TV?

Great analysis right there:

My biggest takeaways from the video:

1) The MGS guys could use a little working taking PR talking points given to them by a brand and making them seem authentic. I caught a few things that were direct quotes from the show or very uncharacteristic:

- The only thing golfers care about is visible tech

- Driver needs to be marketable

- "This would make me pick it off the rack"

2) This whole video seemed like Wilson asking MGS to "justify" an end result towards Cortex. Rozwell felt best, looked best and performed as well as/better than others, but then we'll spend a minute trashing the weight of the track system and the name? And nothing negative to say about Cortex? Even though to me "This looks like their competitors' from 3-5 years ago" is not necessarily a glowing endorsement in my mind...

1) The MGS guys could use a little working taking PR talking points given to them by a brand and making them seem authentic. I caught a few things that were direct quotes from the show or very uncharacteristic:

2) This whole video seemed like Wilson asking MGS to "justify" an end result towards Cortex. Rozwell felt best, looked best and performed as well as/better than others, but then we'll spend a minute trashing the weight of the track system and the name? And nothing negative to say about Cortex? Even though to me "This looks like their competitors' from 3-5 years ago" is not necessarily a glowing endorsement in my mind...

A previous competitor from Season 1 wasn't overly happy that his design was scrapped but cortex may win and they had such similar designs.

Says a lot about the ebbs and flows of design

This whole thing reminds me of when scrubs played the nfl. They were hyped up to be great and among each other, there were some good ones. However, even the best scrubs didn’t really compete with the actual pros. Wilson, while going through all the right motions here, simply won’t take any market from the big players already established in the driver market.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

This whole thing reminds me of when scrubs played the nfl. They were hyped up to be great and among each other, there were some good ones. However, even the best scrubs didn’t really compete with the actual pros. Wilson, while going through all the right motions here, simply won’t take any market from the big players already established in the driver market.

Maybe, maybe not. At least they are trying something different.

Ping Vault Arna

A previous competitor from Season 1 wasn't overly happy that his design was scrapped but cortex may win and they had such similar designs.

Says a lot about the ebbs and flows of design

I saw that on Instagram also. He said they told him that Cobra had already done that idea with the F6+ and that it wasn't original enough. Fast forward a few years and now all of a sudden it's something different...

To me it just looks like a different colored 2017 M1.

Wilson really just can't win. They did something very different and unique with the Triton and everyone hated it. Now if they do something similar to other drivers on the market people will say they just copied someone else.

The Wilson name on a driver just = lose/lose.