Mickelson and the brutal rough...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could make the case that it was idiotic. Was he not aware of how the course was set up? If not, shame on him for poor preparation. If so, then he had the option to show up as a vice captain. I get that he's late in his career and has little more to prove at this point. The course played the same for everyone, and it favored those finding fairways off the tee. Not generally his strong suit.

To be fair, the GOAT, Roger Federer, has done the same thing over in tennis. He's skipped the entire clay court season the last two years to prevent injury and it's his worst surface.

I just wish Phil had said this before the Ryder Cup when he declined his invitation.

Federer wants to prevent injuries for sure, but also Nadal is pretty much impossible to beat on clay. Lot of energy to spend on a very likely loss.

To be fair, the GOAT, Roger Federer, has done the same thing over in tennis. He's skipped the entire clay court season the last two years to prevent injury and it's his worst surface.

I just wish Phil had said this before the Ryder Cup when he declined his invitation.

It would have showed a lot of "leadership" if he had declined being picked, because the course didn't fit him. Although that's a next to impossible thing to do for a lot of competitors. They always think that might get hot enough to overcome the conditions

Historically the US open has brutal rough. Does this mean he's not going to compete in it any more ?

I guess from his actions at last years US open he's also done putting on fast greens with lots of slopes.

Cobra F8
Cobra F8 15.5*
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i200 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

To be fair, I thought the setup did not create a great match play course. If you hit it in the rough, and the other guy didn’t, the hole was over before a 2nd shot was hit like 90% of the time.

So the tee shot isnt much part of a match play? Keep it in the damn fairway, simple ? putting the pressure on the oponent, perfect

Phil is a fan favorite and a big draw. He basically just told every tournament chairman on tour to set up a pie eating contest or he won’t show. He’s advocating for more bomb and gouge style of play on tour, and he has enough weight to influence how an event sets up the course. If a tour event Phil frequently plays was thinking of growing some rough and making players play golf shots they are tearing up those plans today.

I like Phil but this seems like sour grapes. Are you not going to play the US Open anymore, as one poster said above?

It seems like Phil tends to respond in these passive aggressive ways after he fails at something. He tries to use his intellect to explain why it was something else's fault, and not his, that he didn't play well.

Just like in this past year's U.S. Open where he hit the moving ball and then he tried to pretend it was a calculated, logical move.

What Phil is likely actually feeling is that he's pissed off at himself and the entire Ryder Cup situation and course setup. But instead of just saying that, he's going to passively aggressively go into this "I won't play courses with deep rough" concept.

Widespread, I don't get your point. The idea is to hit the fairway from the tee. So if I fail to do so and end up in the rough, I deserve to be penalized. Everyone hit from the same tees. The Euros did a better job of managing the course.

I’m talking about from a viewing perspective. Yeah, the rough should be a oenalty, not an automatic loss. Shin high rough just 5 yards off the fairway takes a lot of the excitement away. And the fairways were narrow to begin with. The whole “you’re never out of it until the balls in the hole” is completely taken away. Boring match play course.

To be fair, I thought the setup did not create a great match play course. If you hit it in the rough, and the other guy didn't, the hole was over before a 2nd shot was hit like 90% of the time.

I'm sure the European team would disagree with your sentiments.

Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

Not just weak comments, a pretty weak outlook on the game too.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Penal rough - gee, what a concept!

Is there any to grow the water hazards and sand traps to be more penal?

If so, then there should also be a way to make them less penal, like mowing the rough to a "playable" height.

I remember trying to quallify for the Western Amateur as a 17 year old, playing on the course I grew up caddying. Unfortunately, it was a private course, and while I worked at another course not far away, which was the "major" qualifying site, us "locals" were granted the "privilege" of playing the actual course where the tournament was being held.

With 5" rough, just off the fairways.

Hacked my way to an awful good 83, because I missed some of the fairways by a yard or 2.

What I felt when I finished was that I just received an excellent education, something that made me a much more accurate driver of the ball, and helped me to become a much better overall player.

Sorry, Phil - while I have never been your biggest fan, and I have never rooted against you, opting to enjoy your creativity....you are just a little bit "OB" on this point.

Just an old feller's take, guys and gals

Honest question...who selects the course for the ryder cup each year? It does seem its a major part of strategy if the hosting team has the choice to make on their own.

(oh, and to the tiresome JAs about to type "search is your friend," I searched and didn't find it, so I'm asking people who know more than I, because, well, that's kinda what forums are for.:) )

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

Honest question...who selects the course for the ryder cup each year? It does seem its a major part of strategy if the hosting team has the choice to make on their own.

(oh, and to the tiresome JAs about to type "search is your friend," I searched and didn't find it, so I'm asking people who know more than I, because, well, that's kinda what forums are for. :) )

The host organization chooses the venue and set up, with input from the host captain.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide ES, 56*
Putter: Ping Classic Stainless Steel Anser 2
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

The rough did look a bit too extreme. You could punish wayward driving without taking it to that level. That said, they shouldnt have to make into into the sorta birdie fest phil desires either.

If anything makes me wonder, did the US know in advance the setup would be like this, and if so, why did they pick phil. If the US didnt know, it would make sense in the future to get some sort of idea about the setup before capt’s picks are made. The host being able to set it up however they like is fine (and can he fun too) but letting the other team know before capt picks seems fair. Of course, if the US did know, Phil needs to take himself off the “task force” after not bowing out.

Phil being Phil. Loves the attention.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf