Arcadia Bluffs - South Course

BG5

Hey Gang,

I was lucky enough in the past week to get up to Arcadia Bluffs and play the South Course. I was shocked at the course conditions as this course just opened up in August. The course was in fantastic shape and far better than Stoatin Brae, The Loop, etc so that was a pleasant surprise.

The course itself it a tough track so make sure you play the appropriate tees. Many of the greens have runnoff and the bump and run shot is your best bet. The course is set up very similar to Stoatin Brae and The Loop. Conditions are fast and firm and you will be amazed and how much roll you get off your drives. Good luck landing any high arching shot as greens are very firm. The greens themselves were solid and I thought were alot more slower than the Loop. That probably is a good thing because these green complexes are tough. The greens at the Loop are superior to the South Course at this point and time.

The course itself is very memorable and for sure cracks my top 5 public courses in Michigan. Hole #13 was my favorite and is a shorter par 4 with a punch bowl green. Very fun to play and just a unique setup. Hole # 12 has to be one of the best par 3's ive ever played and has a horseshoe style green.

I also found the course to be forgiving off the tee and you could pretty much spray them around and still have a shot at a green. They have a number of short par 4's which is always fun but every hole plays tough. There is plenty of sand but the bunkers were fair, even the pot bunkers in fairway allowed you to get out pretty easily in my opinion. I cannot reccomend playing a set of tees up from what your normally play because this course is a championship style track. The wrong set of tees could ruin your day.

Bottom line this course is extremely unique and as Michiganders we continue to have some of the best courses in the world.

Pure Michigan!

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly enough, I felt that 12 and 13 were some of the oddest holes given the visual feel of the rest of the layout, but I will certainly agree with you in regards to my overall enjoyment of my round. Recently spent a long weekend playing each of the Loop Black, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs and South, and Lochenheath and came away feeling that the courses I most wanted to come back and play were the Loop (especially to play in in reverse, since I didn't have the opportunity) and Arcadia South. In the US, especially the midwest, we rarely get the chance to play courses that are conditioned like Arcadia South and, even more so, the Loop, and it allows you to play in what for me was a much more creative fashion, where the ground game was actually a possibility (if not advantage at times!). Don't get me wrong, the other three rounds were fantastic, but the unique aspects of the Loop and South Course given their location have me dying to return and play each again.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

we were able to play it a month or two ago. awesome looking course. Like nothing ive ever played before and a great addition to arcadia. But the greens were unnecessarily fast. fastest by far ive ever played. easily putted off the green to 30 yards away multiple times. we started laying up our putts. if they could slow them down a bit, i would play it again.

Interesting about the greens. When I played a week or so ago they were pretty slow which makes sense because there is so much runoff. I can def see if they speed them up to much the course would become way to difficult for the average golfer. I would assume they will continue to monitor this to ensure that everyone gets a 1st class golf experience. Faster greens = slower play and upset customers (on this course because of difficulty) so I bet they will have it figured out by next year.

The staff at Arcadia was outstanding and its no wonder why AB is considered one of the best golf resorts in the world.

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

• 8 months later...

Hoping in on this older conversation. Heading up to Arcadia the weekend of July 5th. Would anyone consider the south course to be better experienced by walking it? Or is the better question, is it walkable? Also would you recommend forecaddies for the first round on the Bluffs course for first timers? Staying on property Friday and Saturday night. Any inside tips are much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your sage advice!

I think the South course is easily walkable but when we go up there we play 36 holes so we dont walk it. Its personal preference and if you prefer walking go for it but the course is still amazing with a cart. Forcaddies are nice but not necessary in my opinion. If you have the cash and dont mind them being with you the go for it but you will have an amazing time playing these two gems as they are both outstanding :)

make sure you take some time to have a few drinks in the white chairs at AB overlooking 18. Its one of the best views in the world in terms of golf courses :)

Pure Michigan!

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

The South is certainly a good walk, and if you are playing the Bluffs that same day you’ll be stuck riding that 18 anyways. I feel that any course that’s setup for the walking golfer (which the South is, in my opinion) is a far better experience on foot, but I’m a walking purist and that was by far my biggest gripe with the Bluffs course. As for the Bluffs, the cart GPS and flyovers for each hole were more than enough for us, never felt like a forecaddie would have added much to the experience. Enjoy your trip!

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

second that you do not need a forecaddie for the bluffs ... long as the gps is working on the carts, you don't need a yardage book, but i always buy one, just as a habit ... i think it may be a touch over-rated, layout wise, but some of the holes into and along the lake are quite mesmerizing, if only for the endless horizon of blue water, so be forewarned ...

• 2 weeks later...

> @DaddyCaddieIU said:

> Heading to Arcadia next weekend for 72 holes, any feedback on course conditions for Bluffs and South? We are scheduled for 36 on both!!

I was at the Bluffs at the end of June and the conditions were perfect and the greens were absolutely flying, if they are still flying stay below the hole.

> @DaddyCaddieIU said:

> Heading to Arcadia next weekend for 72 holes, any feedback on course conditions for Bluffs and South? We are scheduled for 36 on both!!

Just came back from 72 holes over 3 days at Arcadia. All I can say is WOW. The conditions are immaculate at the Bluffs course. The South is firm and fast and I highly recommend you land the ball up to 25 yards short of all greens. It is very unlikely a shot will hold the green unless you hit into the face of a slope on the green. The only disappointing aspect of both courses was the sand conditions. The sand is extremely soft and more similar to beach sand than any bunker. Enjoy your time and enjoy the views it is truly breathtaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the pricing works at Arcadia? We want to go there in August and are thinking about doing the Bluffs course one day and the South course the following day. Is there a discount for playing both courses in one weekend or is it just rack rate both days? I know there is a discount for playing one and then replaying the other in the same day which is definitely an option. But we were hoping to drive up Saturday Morning, play one course, then relax, play another course and drive home the following morning.

> @timbo08 said:

> Does anyone know how the pricing works at Arcadia? We want to go there in August and are thinking about doing the Bluffs course one day and the South course the following day. Is there a discount for playing both courses in one weekend or is it just rack rate both days? I know there is a discount for playing one and then replaying the other in the same day which is definitely an option. But we were hoping to drive up Saturday Morning, play one course, then relax, play another course and drive home the following morning.

give them a csll.

> @"Jose c." said:

> > @timbo08 said:

> > Does anyone know how the pricing works at Arcadia? We want to go there in August and are thinking about doing the Bluffs course one day and the South course the following day. Is there a discount for playing both courses in one weekend or is it just rack rate both days? I know there is a discount for playing one and then replaying the other in the same day which is definitely an option. But we were hoping to drive up Saturday Morning, play one course, then relax, play another course and drive home the following morning.

>

> give them a csll.

Yea I tried that a few times today on break at work but wasn't getting any one to pick up in either pro shop and figured someone here might know.

> @timbo08 said:

> > @"Jose c." said:

> > > @timbo08 said:

> > > Does anyone know how the pricing works at Arcadia? We want to go there in August and are thinking about doing the Bluffs course one day and the South course the following day. Is there a discount for playing both courses in one weekend or is it just rack rate both days? I know there is a discount for playing one and then replaying the other in the same day which is definitely an option. But we were hoping to drive up Saturday Morning, play one course, then relax, play another course and drive home the following morning.

> >

> > give them a csll.

> Yea I tried that a few times today on break at work but wasn't getting any one to pick up in either pro shop and figured someone here might know.

do you already have reservations?

Going to try and make it over in early October. I initially did not like the South Course when the pictures were released but after reading some of the reviews and "doing a little more homework" I appear to have been pretty damn wrong.

![](https://arcadiabluffs.com/uploads/general/792/SC-Gallery-5_cc3dad06d091eca92dfb3f1beae22752.jpeg "")

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Played the south twice 2 weekends ago. Our group liked the layout of the course, however the greens were rock hard. Can’t stop the ball on the greens at all. Not fun to play on. The back 9 layout is really cool. Sounded like a wood floor when the ball hit the greens whether it was from 10 yards or 110. Once greens are receptive to shots, it would be worth it.

> @DaddyCaddieIU said:

> Played the south twice 2 weekends ago. Our group liked the layout of the course, however the greens were rock hard. Can’t stop the ball on the greens at all. Not fun to play on. The back 9 layout is really cool. Sounded like a wood floor when the ball hit the greens whether it was from 10 yards or 110. Once greens are receptive to shots, it would be worth it.

The greens are firm but I didn't have an issue stopping a well struck shot from the fairway.

That was three weeks ago playing a 4 piece kirkland.

> @tjblue said:

> > @DaddyCaddieIU said:

> > Played the south twice 2 weekends ago. Our group liked the layout of the course, however the greens were rock hard. Can’t stop the ball on the greens at all. Not fun to play on. The back 9 layout is really cool. Sounded like a wood floor when the ball hit the greens whether it was from 10 yards or 110. Once greens are receptive to shots, it would be worth it.

>

> The greens are firm but I didn't have an issue stopping a well struck shot from the fairway.

> That was three weeks ago playing a 4 piece kirkland.

>

Sounds like it was playing as intended then! That hard “thump” is an intoxicating sound, and one that I’ve only heard here in the US at Bandon, The Loop, and Arcadia South. The greens there were fantastic in the way they made you think about your approach, knowing that it would not merely hop and stop, and actually brought the slopes and bunkers more into play. Hopefully they stay firm!

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

> @rtraudt said:

> > @tjblue said:

> > > @DaddyCaddieIU said:

> > > Played the south twice 2 weekends ago. Our group liked the layout of the course, however the greens were rock hard. Can’t stop the ball on the greens at all. Not fun to play on. The back 9 layout is really cool. Sounded like a wood floor when the ball hit the greens whether it was from 10 yards or 110. Once greens are receptive to shots, it would be worth it.

> >

> > The greens are firm but I didn't have an issue stopping a well struck shot from the fairway.

> > That was three weeks ago playing a 4 piece kirkland.

> >

>

> Sounds like it was playing as intended then! That hard “thump” is an intoxicating sound, and one that I’ve only heard here in the US at Bandon, The Loop, and Arcadia South. The greens there were fantastic in the way they made you think about your approach, knowing that it would not merely hop and stop, and actually brought the slopes and bunkers more into play. Hopefully they stay firm!

+1 Once you play real links golf you can never look at golf the same again. No such thing as a ball mark fixer in links golf. I would love for more courses in the US to play linksey.

> @DaddyCaddieIU said:

> Fairways were playing as intended, no way greens were. I understand wanting it firm and fast, but ball should stop at some point. Shouldn’t have to land it short of green with wedge from fairway to a back pin, shouldn’t release 50 yards, that’s when it’s stupid.

The course is supposed to play firm and fast, but this course just opened in the middle of last season for regular play. It takes time for new greens to mature, maybe give it another season or two before you try again if this your complaint.

> @rtraudt said:

> > @tjblue said:

> > > @DaddyCaddieIU said:

> > > Played the south twice 2 weekends ago. Our group liked the layout of the course, however the greens were rock hard. Can’t stop the ball on the greens at all. Not fun to play on. The back 9 layout is really cool. Sounded like a wood floor when the ball hit the greens whether it was from 10 yards or 110. Once greens are receptive to shots, it would be worth it.

> >

> > The greens are firm but I didn't have an issue stopping a well struck shot from the fairway.

> > That was three weeks ago playing a 4 piece kirkland.

> >

>

> Sounds like it was playing as intended then! That hard “thump” is an intoxicating sound, and one that I’ve only heard here in the US at Bandon, The Loop, and Arcadia South. The greens there were fantastic in the way they made you think about your approach, knowing that it would not merely hop and stop, and actually brought the slopes and bunkers more into play. Hopefully they stay firm!

Mammoth Dunes and Wild Horse give you that "thump" too! Love it. You get some of that at Lawsonia on occasion as well.

Mammoth Dunes was almost ridiculous with the volume of thump you would hear on some shots. Like an amplifier was under the greens.

• 4 weeks later...

Just came home from a trip up north with my wife and thought I would share my thoughts. We played the Bluffs course on Wed and the South course on Thursday. We have played the Bluffs course many times and it is one of our favorite tracks. Course conditions were good and greens rolled true but were not excessively fast. Started off on fire and scored my best nine of the year. Not so much on the back half but we still had a great time. We were paired up with a couple of older guys but we really enjoyed their company. One of the guys was up there in years and struggled a bit but overall it didn't kill pace of play to badly. We got around in the allotted time of 4:45 which is still a long round. Really only had to wait on 3 or 4 tees which is quick by Arcadia standards. After playing that course probably a half a dozen times, I still am unsure how to play the fifth hole. And 18 can be a real heartbreaker. Add at least two clubs to get up top. I hit a great drive and went up one club and came up short. We enjoyed a cocktail in the chairs overlooking 18 and in the 5 groups we watched, not one was on the green in regulation. There were some pretty big numbers in those groups. I felt good only making bogey.

We then played the south course and weren't sure what to expect. The reviews here were pretty good in my opinion so we went in with high expectations and the South course delivered!!! We arrived early and were happy we did. We hit the practice green and with my first chip I experienced the "wood floor" affect. What a awesome sound....although I have to admit it kind of terrified me. I had a really bad experience at Stoatin Brae and dreaded the thought reliving that. Nothing to worry. Yes, the greens are pretty crazy the first time you play it. You get weird bounces and sometimes see what you thought were perfect shots slowly roll off the green in any number of directions. We went off by ourselves and there were at least 6 holes open behind us. Of course we had 2 foursomes in front of us but they played fairly quick. Each had a forecaddie and I think the next time we play it (with my wife or buddies) I will try to get a caddie. It would be a great course to walk.

It is so much different than the Bluffs course. The bunkers are plentiful and can be quite difficult but the sand is nearly perfect around the greens. I found it so soft in the fairways that I hit most shots a bit fat. Got out but didn't advance it nearly enough. Now here is my favorite part. I play to a 14 index and probably drive the ball 220-230 on my home course. Here I was hitting 240 and my last drive was 264 (and perfectly placed!!). My wife almost drove the short par four second hole. What fun!! I aimed at bunkers there were out of my range and almost reached most of them (and did reach a few). Playing it for the first time, we were basically guessing where to put it on the green. We were wrong more often than right but I was chipping out of my mind. Lipped out at least 4 putts but still broke 90 which I was quite happy with. Both my wife and I had some of our lowest scores of the year on both courses.

I haven't played the Loop yet, but if its anything like this, I will get there before fall ends. We had a great time!