Who Teaches Tour Pro Swing Fundamentals?

bober74

What do all the tour pro's have in common when they swing? Obviously they all end up in a great impact position so I'm not talking about that. What I am asking is.... what are the common things all golf pro's have in common that us average golfers can focus on to get better results?

I'm sick of going from one tip to another.

I'm sick of trying to rebuild my swing.

I just want a golf swing that I can rely on with sound fundamentals.

I'm not after a perfect swing. I'm not after perfect shots all the time. I understand that's not possible. I just want a swing that has sound movements that will give me a good a chance at ball striking consistency without the need to try one tip after another.

Look at Jim Furyk's swing and Tiger Woods swing. A big difference in "method's" there but what is the commonality?

What do most tour pro's do that set's them apart from the average golfer.

Swing speed is obviously one.

But why?

What method or teaching out there focuses on the common elements of tour pro's so us weekend warriors can copy that and get better?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour pros and their swings have lots of things in common -- someone, even if that's themselves, that they trust completely with their swing, someone who they know will have them on the right path. They don't expect improvement in a week, something that we all struggle with.

I'm quoting Monte, for the most part, so full disclaimer that I am not a teaching pro or even an expert -- but tour pros all link their swing parts up correctly, OR they have enough talent/ingrained move to overcome things that don't link up (Bubba, Rory).

Get a lesson - find someone that can help you find and fix the thing YOU, yourself, as a golfer do incorrectly. Then, fix your bad thing.

Get a lesson - find someone that can help you find and fix the thing YOU, yourself, as a golfer do incorrectly. Then, fix your bad thing.

That's the problem. Every pro will find a different "one" thing. I'm after proven tour fundamentals.

A good pro, like Monte or Dan, finds the root thing - the root thing you do might cause other things that are symptoms.

I suppose it's like being sick -- any person with two eyes and a brain can see you on the street and tell you that your eyes look puffy and you don't sound good, but a proven doctor can prescribe you the right medicine that will fix you and make 5 symptoms to go away with it.

I stand by saying the only truly proven tour fundamentals are a whole bucket or three of pure talent and tens of thousands of hours practice time.

the legend, rbimguy.

Sorry, who? :-)

It's a guy who was banned, I think, who used to claim he could make anyone into a great golfer in about 10 mjnutes.

Lot of agreement between iteach and monte here. Tyler Ferrell too. These are guys who see the swing thru best technology, great eyes and lots of smarts.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

the legend, rbimguy.

It's a guy who was banned, I think, who used to claim he could make anyone into a great golfer in about 10 mjnutes.

Lot of agreement between iteach and monte here. Tyler Ferrell too. These are guys who see the swing thru best technology, great eyes and lots of smarts.

Thanks for the clarification. Not looking to improve in 10 minutes. I just want a proven set of fundamentals to follow.

Stock tour swing has many more dimensions than swing like a pro.

What do you mean by dimensions?

'Swing like a pro' uses an 'Idealtyp' (constructed model) and describes his preferred swing positions through quite conventional instruction.

Tour Stock Swing first describes the swing path and face positions which leads to certain ball flight. From there it is about body dynamics on how to move the club and achieve certain ball flight. After creating the awareness there is a decent part on how to learn and take it to course. Good roadmap.

As with all instruction; first follow Harvey Penick's advice: when sick take one aspirin not the whole bottle.

Stock tour swing has many more dimensions than swing like a pro.

What do you mean by dimensions?

'Swing like a pro' uses an 'Idealtyp' (constructed model) and describes his preferred swing positions through quite conventional instruction.

Tour Stock Swing first describes the swing path and face positions which leads to certain ball flight. From there it is about body dynamics on how to move the club and achieve certain ball flight. After creating the awareness there is a decent part on how to learn and take it to course. Good roadmap.

As with all instruction; first follow Harvey Penick's advice: when sick take one aspirin not the whole bottle.

The last two lines... ? Penick gold...

the legend, rbimguy.

Thanks for the clarification. Not looking to improve in 10 minutes. I just want a proven set of fundamentals to follow.

There are numerous proven sets of fundamentals. Anybody that has a student on tour will tout that. It all comes down to a consistent contact point and repeatable swing speed. There's lots of ways to get there, you need to find the right one for you. If somebody found "the one", you wouldn't have to come to a message board looking for it. A lot of it depends on your build, your tempo, how your brain works ... Individual stuff you have to decide on.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*
Putter: Bettinardi iNOVAi 5.0
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

Dan Whittakers take on it, about $52 for 15 video lessons on the Rotational swing;

https://danwhittakergolf.com/pages/modern-fundamentals

Check out his free videos on YouTube to see if his approach gels with you first.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

the legend, rbimguy.

You forgot to mention the $300k fee. :)

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

What do all the tour pro's have in common when they swing? Obviously they all end up in a great impact position so I'm not talking about that. What I am asking is.... what are the common things all golf pro's have in common that us average golfers can focus on to get better results?

I'm sick of going from one tip to another.

I'm sick of trying to rebuild my swing.

I just want a golf swing that I can rely on with sound fundamentals.

I'm not after a perfect swing. I'm not after perfect shots all the time. I understand that's not possible. I just want a swing that has sound movements that will give me a good a chance at ball striking consistency without the need to try one tip after another.

Look at Jim Furyk's swing and Tiger Woods swing. A big difference in "method's" there but what is the commonality?

What do most tour pro's do that set's them apart from the average golfer.

Swing speed is obviously one.

But why?

What method or teaching out there focuses on the common elements of tour pro's so us weekend warriors can copy that and get better?

You need to be taught by a competent golf professional. You have questions as we all do regarding the swing. Only someone standing next to you can provide the answers on the spot. I hope you can find someone who can take the time to listen to your concerns and provide the answers. Your comments above were the same as mine, and I delved into swing theory yada yada, and even taking lessons from someone well thought of. My game deteriorated from spring to fall until I no longer could deal with it. The harder I worked the more frustrated I became. By chance I asked from some help from someone teaching at the range I used to practice and told him what I was trying to do. He just shook his head and said that he didn't know what I was being taught but in a matter of a half hour I was hitting the ball so much better and with confidence. And it carried over onto the course.

This is more than I intended to write, but, I don't want anyone to fall into the same hole I had to crawl out of.

If you're a 3 hcp and you're searching, go back to the very most basic fundamentals. The grip. The stance. The posture. The ball position. Find a takeaway that works for you. Find a way to be in balance throughout your swing. Find a finish that is on balance. Tour pros learned their fundamentals by doing and trying and discovering. If you're stuck with not knowing the basics, go take a lesson. If you simply can't create swing speed, go take a lesson. But be specific with what you're looking for, and then be open to the fact that the answer may not be exactly what you thought it would be, otherwise you would have found it yourself...

The common elements that are indeed universal to all great ballstrikers, whether pro or amateur, in a Big Picture sense only (since when you start breaking the golf swing down into smaller pieces you are going to see amazing number of variations and differences among good players): setting up, swinging and finishing in "rock solid Balance" (Hogan's term), consistent Tempo that is neither too slow or too fast that allows for high ch speed while still swinging in Balance and with good Release timing (not late or early), a narrow focused mind on just one thing (instead of a mind in chaos and wandering from swing thought to swing thought), a grip and grip pressure and wrist actions that allows for good clubface angle control, a path that is consistent and not severely in to out or out to in, a body motion that minimizes excessive independent arm motion and one that is mainly driven by the pivot or rotary/tilting action of the hips, core and upper torso, angle of attack and low point that avoids the two extremes of too steep or too shallow, and a high degree of confidence in one's ability to create a good shot. There are a few others but those are the main ones.

It is a shame you are sick of it, because that is what your stuck with.

You want what everyone else wants....

You gotta get there brick by brick. Weekend warriors by default shouldn't copy a pro, simplely address the next biggest item that needs improved.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

the legend, rbimguy.

They still have to work for YOU. This thread is just still looking to go from one tip to another, just want the magic "package" or book, I guess. You're a 3 so pretty damn good golfer. Find a good teacher, plenty on here.

There are no "tour fundamentals" to speak of. 150 different grips, setups, backswings, etc.

However there are things that most do and any teacher worth a damn will teach those things.

There must be tour fundamentals. For example, tush line. Do most/all tour pro's keep there tush line or do most lose it. Another example is head movement. Do most/all tour pro's keep there head movement (horizontally) to within 2-3 inches or do most move it much more than that.

I said in my original post this:

"Look at Jim Furyk's swing and Tiger Woods swing. A big difference in "method's" there but what is the commonality?"

I'm not talking about grip differences. I'm not talking about setup differences.

You say there are things that most do (I would call those tour fundamentals), so what are they?

They all have great setup.

You can pretty much tell how good a player is just by how they setup.

Jack Nicklaus and Jack Grout used to always go back to basics and work on Jack's setup, grip, etc. in the off season I believe. And Nicklaus has said something to the effect of "you can't hit a great shot without great setup".

Everyone wants to jump to the backswing and impact position, but get your setup (including grip) perfected first! If you want to know what great setup & grip are there are plenty of resources. Following what Hogan advised will work. Or get a good pro to help you. Any good pro will help you get into a great setup position.

From there I would just practice half swings and hitting the ball flush every time. Work your way up until you can hit 100 yard shots flush and straight. And on and on until you work your way to long irons. If you want a truly repeatable swing that you can trust, you're going to have to build it on the range through repetition. And just get some really well trained eyes to make little adjustments as you go.

There isn't a single Tour pro who hasn't put in the hours. Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of golf shots. That's why they can trust their swing now.

The fundamentals are no secret: great grip, setup, balance, rhythm, and practice.

And of course there are universal truths like being on plane on the downswing, the proper weight shift and having a square club face at impact. Any good pro or book generally teaches the same on these issues. You can learn it from them or just learn it yourself through trial and error and studying your ball flight on the range. Just keep it simple and ignore "tips".

Visually they all seem to me to stick the clubhead way in the ground by about half way down and then all pull it nearly all the way back out by impact; they all seem to move their head lower and forward in the early downswing and then back and up and away; they all rotate the golf club; they all seem to extend in the downswing about 1-2” towards the ball from the deepest point their tush ever gets.

Visually they all seem to me to stick the clubhead way in the ground by about half way down and then all pull it nearly all the way back out by impact; they all seem to move their head lower and forward in the early downswing and then back and up and away; they all rotate the golf club; they all seem to extend in the downswing about 1-2" towards the ball from the deepest point their tush ever gets.

Awesome! Just what I was looking for. I'll work on that. Thanks!