OK, I have my Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 driver with the shaft it came with (Mitsubishi Fubuki Stiff Flex). At the 8.5* setting I have a low-mid trajectory, but the ball falls right out of the sky. Now, at the 11* setting it's auto-crush right down the fairway with a mid-trajectory.

Here's where it gets hard for me to comprehend:

My 3W is just a regular flex Fubuki and I have it set at 14*. High, towering, fairway missiles with a nice draw. I absolutely LOVE how it's set up.

My swing speed calls for a stiff flex depending on where I look online. Some say stiff for 90-105, others say for 100-110. My swing speed averages in the mid to upper 90's for my driver, and as I get in better physical shape I'm going to improve on those numbers. But what do I do with my 3w? I'm absolutely crushing it, but I seem to be playing well under what I'm supposed to be playing with shaft flex-wise.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ball is falling out of the sky it’s most likely due to low spin rates, it’s possible that turning the loft down knocks your spin down below what’s needed to keep the ball airborn. I think it’s around +/- 250rpm per Degree of Loft changed, I may be wrong on that one though.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

If the ball is falling out of the sky it’s most likely due to low spin rates, it’s possible that turning the loft down knocks your spin down below what’s needed to keep the ball airborn. I think it’s around +/- 250rpm per Degree of Loft changed, I may be wrong on that one though.

Whatever it is, I'm crushing it at 11*.

You can have a “fast” swing speed and still need more loft. You aren’t generating enough launch and spin with a 8.5° driver. And your swing speed isn’t really that fast. You can and likely should be using a regular flex.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I'd leave alone at 11* then.

I’m not sure what you are asking.

If you are hitting both of them well then why change either of them?

There is no “rule” that they must be the same flex. If they work, they work. Leave them alone.

This is so true. I use a Regular Flex Aldila Rogue shaft in my driver and the rest Stiff Flex. To me, I like the whippy feeling of the R Flex in my driver.

PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

.........But what do I do with my 3w? I'm absolutely crushing it, but I seem to be playing well under what I'm supposed to be playing with shaft flex-wise.

I have different flexes in a few of my clubs. The reg flex you have in the fwy may play stiffer with the shorter length, different head weights, being tipped. If you hit it well, just go with it.

In my experience shafts of same brand and model in different flexes don't really do all that much......feel slightly stiffer or softer but not much, also fwys woods to driver can be totally different story especially with weights

As far as flex goes swing sipped is last denominator for flex.......transition and release have far more influence.......I tell my buddy this but he insists on telling me charts recommend such and such for certain swingspeed........I got a another buddy who swings 99mph but loads it hard and releases fairly late he plays x flex without issues......high draws that go about as far as you can hit it with that SS.....

shaft is for feel and if your hitting it well don't question it and don't change it

I’m not sure what you are asking.

If you are hitting both of them well then why change either of them?

There is no “rule” that they must be the same flex. If they work, they work. Leave them alone.

I'm just curious why a stiff shaft feels so go to me with a Driver, but the Regular flex in the 3w feels good. Same manufacturer. It's just a curious observation and, like I said in the OP, some shaft co's say "go stiff" at over 90, while other say 93, and yet others say 100. I'm also pondering this for the future. If I'm, say 96 speed now, but anticipate gaining a few more mph by getting in shape and becoming better and more efficient, would you go stiffer in the anticipation of gaining speed or would you just reshaft later?

In my experience shafts of same brand and model in different flexes don't really do all that much......feel slightly stiffer or softer but not much, also fwys woods to driver can be totally different story especially with weights

As far as flex goes swing sipped is last denominator for flex.......transition and release have far more influence.......I tell my buddy this but he insists on telling me charts recommend such and such for certain swingspeed........I got a another buddy who swings 99mph but loads it hard and releases fairly late he plays x flex without issues......high draws that go about as far as you can hit it with that SS.....

shaft is for feel and if your hitting it well don't question it and don't change it

I hadn't thought of transition and release. I just always described my swing tempo as "moderate". Not too slow, not too fast. Then again, the way I perceive things is certainly different than the way another might see it.

I'd leave alone at 11* then.

Definitely leaving it alone. It's a nice, repeatable shot with more than acceptable distance for the courses I play. Sure, it'd be nice to uncork a 270 or 280 when needed, but that's on me and my out of shape swing. Not the clubhead.

8.5 isn't much loft I don't think your swing speed is fast enough to be effective with it. Also, you really can't judge what strength you need based on Swing Speed alone. If you want to keep the 8.5 maybe look at a shaft with a soft tip to help it in the air. You probably would do better with a loft of 10 or 10.5.

I didn't think so either. Now, my last driver was 8 or 8.5, but it seemed to have a lower kickpoint, and it didn't have all the tungsten weights. I actually hit it higher than the 11*. I'm totally stoked with the 11*. I love it right were it's at. Now, if I could just fix my swing with one of those little wrenches I'd be sound as a pound.

You can have a "fast" swing speed and still need more loft. You aren't generating enough launch and spin with a 8.5° driver. And your swing speed isn't really that fast. You can and likely should be using a regular flex.

I guess depending on which shaft brand, some regulars might be stiffer than other stiffs. I do plan on improving my swing and getting into better playing shape. I've already gained a few MPH since the beginning of summer with my diet and exercise, as well as really working on a smoother and more fluid swing. When I was 20 I was swinging out of my shoes and hitting the 108 MPH mark. But I was in magnificent shape, and truth be told, I probably could have had better clubhead speed if I'd have quit trying to "kill it".

I play regularly with a guy who's 54 years old, 5'9" and built like a vegan librarian. His clubhead speed is 116 and it looks like he's swinging in slow motion. Pisses me off to no end. Hit's the ball 40+ yards by me. I'm pulling out my 5-iron and he has a soft PW into the green.

There is no industry standard as to what is S flex vs R flex. It is whatever the mfg puts on the graphics. You would need to have the shafts measured for frequency to see how close/apart they are in flex. I agree with the comment that at 8.5° you are not generating sufficient spin to keep the ball in the air, thus the drop from the sky compared to 11°. If you love the shots, don't change a thing.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Alta CB R flex or Ping Distanza SR flex, std length
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB, R flex std length
Cleveland Launcher HB 4 iron, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 5-D Wedge, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland CBX2, 54°/12 bounce, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel, R flex, std length
Cleveland Smart Sole SW, 58°, Dynamic Gold wedge flex, std length

Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip 35"

You would need to have the shafts measured for frequency to see how close/apart they are in flex.

Not even that will help. Butt frequency is a horribly inaccurate representation for anything about the stiffness of the shaft (relative to any other different shaft model) - including loading and feel.