2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What's your best or most memorable round ever?

SixtySomePing

First round at Turnberry a few months before the Trump re-design.

Very first day of winter twilight rates. Took a 17:01 tee time, not a soul on the course. It was about 20 degrees and the sun was just turning down.

Played with my father in law in near perfect conditions on a beautiful track. Striped a 3 iron off the first tee and struck the ball well for the next 17. Bliss

• Like 1

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I think the two times i've played the Old Course have been the most 'excited' / happiest i've ever been on the golf course. I've travelled a fair bit of the World and played alot of nice courses, but nothing gets me giddy, alert and ready like a tee-time on St Andrews Old. The Town, the atmosphere, the views, the Course, the vibe all make me feel truly alive.

Best round there was +1 in very benign conditions.....which is not my absolute best. But that's not important. I haven't played anywhere ever that's made me happier to be alive and out batting my balls. And thats what its all about hey !

• Like 2

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So many memories come to mind, it’s worth thanking OP for creating a fun thread like this. Two rounds I remember very fondly are:

1)June 2018, Porky Oliver’s GC-Wilmington, DE

*One of the narliest/no frills muni in my hometown. I had a doctors appointment early in the day, where the urologist reassured me that the small lump in my scrotum was nothing to worry about. The weeks that had led up to the appointment were full of anxiety and uncertainty. Needless to say I had quite the pep in my step during the round of golf later that day. My buddies knew something was up, so had to spill the beans after playing! 

2)July 2020, Glen Mills GC, PA

Traveled to visit my now fiance’s father, to ask him for his blessing. I’ll never forget the day thanks to him being so gracious and supportive. Had the tee time lined up as a solo, but got paired with a few older gentleman-who I told the big news to, straight away. Couldn’t tell you what I shot, but was floating out there. 

July 23, 2012 (I looked up the actual date LOL), Grossinger's Country Club in upstate New York.

-1 70 with a triple bogey on 12. I was a 5 index at the time.

First season with my G20 irons. Had them about 4 months. Hit 14 greens and 2 fringes. Putter got hot on 14 and I birdied 4 of the last 5 holes.

To this day I can still remember every shot and (roughly) where the ball ended up and the result of the hole. Yet I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. :classic_laugh:

One of the very few times OFF of my home course I've broken par. At home I've probably done it about 60-70 times but OFF my home course, probably around 6, maybe 7 times total.

And Grossinger's is a big-time mountain course used for quite a few prestigious Ams in its time. Very fast and undulating greens. (In the interest of full disclosure they weren't running all that fast that day :classic_smile:)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Most memorable would be my personal best 1 over 35 at my home course. It actually started out not great, had a tee time at a different course but some morning things ran long and I couldn't make it. It also started out with a double bogey and a double bogey on 4 as well.

My short game was on fire that day, a couple of hole outs, and a couple of chips that lead to tap in putts. Even made my first ever eagle.

Main regret for that round is on the 9th hole. I had a long putt for birdie that I purposely lagged up there. I should have gone after it as I would have hade to have an 8 just to lose the personal best, but it's still a good score of +1.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I am a 14 hc and have shot in the upper 70's several times, but not much lower. Although, on my birthday a couple years ago, I shot a 73 on my home course. Golf was so easy that day, and made a great birthday present for me.

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Me as a kid, playing golf with my grandparents nothing better. 

Me as a Dad, playing golf with my two youngest daughters nothing better. I didnt even care about my golf i just watched them and enjoyed and smiled all 9 holes. 

• Like 4

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I was 14 (92) and was going out to play late one Friday morning. Our home course was just a 9 hole track so 18 hole scores (at this course) were never really a thought for me at that time.  Loading my clubs on the cart in haste, my driver (Founders Club Judge) was sticking up out of my bag a bit far and when I backed the golf cart out of the shed I snapped off the head.  I was so mad.  I couldn't believe what I had just done and knew my day was ruined before it got started.  Naturally, I proceeded to use my 3 wood (Original Taylor Made Burner) for my tee shots on all the par 4 and 5s and ended up hitting every fairway and making 9 pars for an even 35.  I think my previous best had been some 38s or 39s.  I had plenty of rounds after that were better or also memorable but this was the only round I can still recall every shot I took.  I distinctly remember thinking to myself shortly after, "What just happened?"

• Like 2

d: Cobra King SpeedZone

f: Ping G410LST 3 Wood

h: Ping G410 2H (1* weak)

i: Ping i210 4-W

w: Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50, 56(1* strong), 60

p: Odyssey 3-Ball

A few stand out to me.

The first time I beat my dad, he was a stick at the time playing to around 0-1 handicap so that was pretty special.  

The last round I ever played with my grandpa, he unfortunately passed due to cancer but gutted it out for one more round with the family. 

The first time I shot sub 70. It was a 67 on a fairly difficult course, I hit so many good shots that day. 

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

I was a 12 handicap playing in our annual Calcutta and had never broken 80.  The front 9 was a typical mediocre 43.  Had a long bump and run chip on 10 that I hit real close.  Then I played lights out the next four holes with tap in par and three birdies in a row.  Then two bogies.  Then a par and then standing on 18th tee one under on the back 9 and very nervous.  18th hole is a very tight par 5.  Trees on both sides.  Hit driver just into the right rough.  3wood to about 60 yards short of the green and a sand wedge to 20 feet.  Two putts and it was the best hole I ever played in my life.  My odds were pretty high in the Calcutta as I was the only one to bet on myself and my three birdies on the back were on the hardest holes on the course so they counted for net eagles.  I won a lot of cash.  Enough to pay for the annual club dues and then some.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about this one tonight and I also remember my first tournament.

I think I shot something in the mid 80's at 13 or so. Nothing impressive or memorable. Didnt win anything nobody cared.

What I do remember from that tournament as a kid was that it was the first time in my life that I felt I could compete in something on my own and it did not matter how big my house was, which school I attended, how much money my parents made or what gear I had.

Just your own ability to work hard and compete. Once the tee was in the ground on the first hole everyone is the same and you just have a golf ball and a bag of clubs.

• Like 4

Golfer of two years. Shot my lowest score yet(86) and got my first eagle ever on a par 5.I Hit a longer then usuall drive about 250. Then hit a 3 wood that probably only carried 175 and ran 30 yards up onto the green and stopped pin high, level with a 5 foot putt for Eagle. My dad was there who had only known me as poor golfer throughout childhood. I made the 5 footer with ease and my dad was able to take a video of the putt with my phone so it can be cherrished for years. It was also one of my first rounds using a newly aquired Scotty Cameron Bullseye that I found for $1 at a good will outlet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dropping 63 with two bogeys on my home course when I was 16.  Par 71.  It’s tied for my lowest round ever relative to par but with two bogeys and two missed eagle putts I legitimately thought I had a chance at 59 after going out in 29 on my first 9.  

It’s the only round of golf I’ve played where everything literally felt effortless.   Never felt that way before for a full 18 and probably haven’t really since.   As I’m 20 years older now I still remember it and having played a ton of golf since I can say that was a truly special day on the course. 

• Like 2

Admiral Nimitz golf course in Guam using a set of rental lefty hodgepodge clubs, way too many beers, and nobody around on the 4th of July. It was me and another Navy reservist (he was from Texas). We had a ghetto rental car just to get out there. Epic golf was played.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

2 rounds come to mind:

1) Cordevalle here in the SF Bay Area, fantastic course, formerly of the Fry's/Safeway open PGA tourstop before it moved into Napa. I had 7 birdies in that round, with 1 maybe 2 of them being <8' putts. The rest were bombs of 15-25' putts, all dead center cup, perfect speed. Not to mention several par putts of length, I'd estimate that I made something like 130' putts made that day. Everything just kept going in, it was insane. Oddly, I started and finished with 3 putt doubles on the round, shooting 73.  

2) Last summer, at Pebble, shooting 74. It was memorable because of how dead, solid, perfect I was hitting the ball. My caddie would give me a target and I would drill it, almost every time. We also had Stewart Cink in the group behind us with his sons (both D1 college players), so no pressure. I started 3 over on the first 3 holes, then proceeded to play the remaining 15 holes in (-1). On the short par 3 7th, I drained a 15' snake and got the golf clap from Cink on the teebox. I proceeded to play 7,8,9,10 in (-2) which my caddie commented, "you know how many people would pay to shoot (-2) in that stretch??". 8 was a dead-on the flag approach over the water. It's a tough approach to say the least. 9 was another pure one that ran past the flag for a touchy downhill 2 putt par. 10 I made a 18'-ish downhill putt that broke 4' or so for birdie. All day long, it was just point and shoot. Just an awesome day. 

For reference, I'm a 4.5, so 73 and 74 on tough tracks like that don't come often. 

• Like 2

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

My first second and third holes in one were all on the same hole in a space of 6 weeks - and all in competitions . After the third one I called the pro and asked him was it possible. He told me to take a cold shower. Not an easy hole either - 175 yard with bunkers both sides. The 4 iron and the 3 balls are now under glass. I completely lost it after the 3rd one and shot over 100.

• Like 3