Titliest Balata in range bucket OMG

Remembering playing with a couple of PGA professionals back in the days.

One in particular will start to exam his Balata Tour 100 after several holes. I asked why he needed to do that, the answer was he's looking to see if the golf ball is out of rounds to the naked eyes.

I asked what if the golf ball was out of round ? He looked at me and said, do you want them ? I jumped at it "hell yah " !

Back then a $ 3.00 Titleist is like $7-$8 today's money.

He got it for free from the sponsor and I pocketed half a dozen like new Tour 100. Felt like Christmas morning. Green fee was like $15.

I found a Tour Balata and a couple of Titleist Professional's a few months ago and gave them a hit on the course. They were in a pretty poor condition and I am pretty sure that the winding in them would have loosened off but it was still good fun to hit them particularly wedge shots. The spin was crazy. Drivers were weird but I would put that down to the age of them making it pretty much impossible to do a fair comparison between them and a Pro V1.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

I loooooooooved the old maxfli ht-100 liquid filled balatas

Memories of my university Golf days

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x
Callaway GBB 19* Aldila NVS 85x
Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Apex ‘16 5h 27* Mitsu KuroKage 90s

Ping s55 6 - PW Fujikura MCI 100s

Ping Glide 49*, 54* & 59* wrx Recoil 110s
Piretti Matera Elite

Now...IF you ever find an old Maxfli Black - preceded the HT-100 by about 10 years +/-...that was a great ball.

Many of them would "explode" in their new packaging, leaving a really weird looking, lop-sided ball.

Not too many of those survived long enough to make it to the range

I found a Tour Balata and a couple of Titleist Professional's a few months ago and gave them a hit on the course. They were in a pretty poor condition and I am pretty sure that the winding in them would have loosened off but it was still good fun to hit them particularly wedge shots. The spin was crazy. Drivers were weird but I would put that down to the age of them making it pretty much impossible to do a fair comparison between them and a Pro V1.

There are ball tests from 2001 out there that show the differences when the balls were new. That difference is nowhere near as large as many would have you believe.

If you compare the PGA Tour driving distance stat from 1999, when the vast majority were playing wound balls, to 2002 (or even 2001), when the vast majority had switched, the increase in distance for players in both seasons was less than six yards.

I find that interesting.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SO Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5