Canmore/Banff Golf......again

Austincountyag

I know it’s been talked about a lot already but most threads are talking about golf course quality. I am looking for the experience not exactly best course.

Wife and I are headed up second week of June in 2019. I’m wanting to play one round of golf and curious where it should be. Looking for a course with the most spectacular views, fun, etc. it will be my first time ever playing mountain golf so I want to make it count. Wife will probably not play, just ride most likely.

Stewart Creek or Silvertip in Canmore. Either course at Kananaskis. Or Banff Springs. I love Silvertip but others find the course a bit gimmicky. Views are unbeatable though. Google some photos. You can’t go wrong they are all awesome.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

If I had 1 round I would play Stewart Creek. Agreed Banff is down the list a bit for me, it is spectacular too, but it's usually not in the greatest shape and it's pricey. And again, I have a soft spot for Silvertip that some don't agree with. Most don't really like it, but I just love it there. So I would play: Stewart, Silvertip, then Kananaskis (both or either), then Banff.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Banff is far and away the best course, it was kinda miserable when I played Kan but I kinda expected more with the opportunity they had.

If I want awesome views I'll go on a hike, I'm not playing golf somewhere just cause the views are cool.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

If I want awesome views I'll go on a hike, I'm not playing golf somewhere just cause the views are cool.

I disagree. when you're coming from Texas like I am, and you have a chance to play golf ONCE in one of the best settings in the world and you have multiple options you want to consider the course, layout, and the views. Not to mention my wife will be tagging along, she needs good views to help occupy her time and for her to enjoy it more. She doesn't get too excited viewing the scorecard seeing that a certain par 4 is driveable, or noticing that a par 5 might be reachable in two, etc.

• Like 1

In your situation, I would honestly play Silvertip. It is right on the side of the mountain. You will never again hit shots that you will hit there. The others are better golf courses, no question. But Silvertip is unreal in terms of the elevations changes and the views, etc. that you will get. You can't really go wrong, but based on what you are looking for, I would play Silvertip. My wife and I go every summer and it is amazing. Yes the course is a bit gimmicky, and you will have some strange shots. My buddies are purests and they don't love it. But it is an experience. We were there for a wedding about a month ago, and here is a picture I took from the patio: looking up 18 to the left, and 10 tee to the right. It is unlike anything you will ever see again. Almost guarantee you will see wildlife too as you are right on the mountain. We have seen deer, bears, all kinds of animals. Up to you, you will enjoy any and all of the courses. But we always go back for Silvertip.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Scotty Cameron GOLO

• 6 months later...

I'll be there next week - does anyone know the conditions of those? Looks like here are the opening dates:

May 9: Stanley Thompson Golf Course at The Fairmont Banff Springs

May 7: Tunnel Golf Course at The Fairmont Banff Springs

May 3: The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge Golf Course

May 9: Kananaskis

May 14: Stewart Creek Golf & Country Club

May 15: Silvertip Resort Golf Course

May 2: Canmore Golf & Curling Club

Play Kananaskis. You are on the Valley floor but....the majesty of the mountains will quicken your pulse, thus causing three putts. In other words, you are surrounded by mountains and it makes you feel very small. I know everything is big in Texas, but this is bigger! I cant speak to Silver Tip but Banff Springs looks wrung out and is over priced.

I made a trip to Banff last August and started this thread before the trip ( https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1634524/banff-trip#latest ) but am adding my review/thoughts below.

Austin - I would say Banff 100%. The views at Banff were jaw dropping. Had more holy crap moments during that round than all the others. I almost thought Banff's views were better than Silvertip's views given you are closer to steep cliffs at Banff (whereas at Silvertip the mountains are in distance...still amazing, just different). Then the course at Banff is a lot better than Silvertip.

MMB - I didn't play Greywolf due to the distance from Banff. I'm kind of kicking myself but we are planning to go back in a few years and definitely play Jasper & Greywolf (first time each), and replay Banff and Stewart.

For other future trip goers, below are the courses we played (I'm judging everything in absence of cost - if you are taking a plane to the area, spending $80 extra to play one course over the other is kind of missing out on the big picture. I would suggest booking your tee times ASAP as things were booked out months in advance (or some times were blocked off for members?). If you only have 1 day to play and can get the time tees to work, try to play both Banff (1A) and Stewart (1B) the same day. They are only 30 minutes apart.

- day 1, Stewart & Tunnel 9 - we stayed at the Fairmont and last minute decided to play the Tunnel 9 to warm up for the trip/we wanted to play 27 that day and it was an easy add before our Stewart tee time. I would strongly avoid Tunnel 9 (we did see a bear on the Tunnel which made it somewhat worthwhile) - super short and blah. We were stupid to add this last minute. We wanted to squeeze in Canmore CC instead of Tunnel but couldn't get the tee times to work. Stewart was amazing. I think golfers with a handicap of 15 or higher might not have as much fun here given the course and sloping rating (139 from the blues). Greens were pure/best of the trip. Stewart is 1B.

- day 2, Kananaskis - if you are doing a golf trip and want to do 36 holes one of the days this is a no brainer given it has 2 18 hole courses. Great views, fairly easy/open compared to the other courses we played so it's nice vacation golf. Great outdoor deck to grab lunch between your rounds.

- day 3, Banff - see positive comments above on Banff. Banff is 1A. One thing to add - before my trip I noticed some not so great comments about the course's condition - when I was there it was perfect...except the bunkers which contained rocks. It was so odd the course was in amazing shape but the bunkers had rocks I had to ask the guy cleaning our clubs at the end of the round what the deal was with that. He said since the course is in the national park, regulations prevent the course from removing rocks from the bunkers. I go back and forth between that reason being complete BS or making complete sense.

- day 4, Silver Tip - lived up to its reputations on the views. I agree on some of the layout comments but instead of thinking it was super gimmicky (apart from 1 or 2 instances), I think it's just one of the courses once you have play it 2 or 3 times you will know what you need to do on a given tee box. 18th hole is a fun hole - if you hit it longer than average, aim left of the bullseye target and you will be handsomely rewarded. It is worth having SilverTip on a trip list but well behind Banff and Stewart in terms of ranking.

> @MMB1500 said:

> Not to threadjack, but I'm also going to be in BC in August. We're staying in Golden / Kicking Horse and, aside from playing Golden GC, are looking at playing one other course in the area. My current thinking is either Stewart Creek or Greywolf. Can anyone advise on which of these would be the better day out?

I have played Grey Wolf last year and I came back very impressed. They had one of the best set of greens I had ever played on. Spectacular course.

Scheduled to play Stewart Creek in July so I cannot comment. Enjoy the rounds.

so we are leaving for our trip on June 9th and I am booked for Banff Springs on the 10th...early weather outlook looks like the whole week we are their for 50% chance of rain....for those in the area does that mean my round likely won't happen, or is the "rain" there in banff more of a light sprinkle, etc?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing research for next July and trying to decide between Whistler and Banff for a seven-night, six-round trip. We will probably rent houses in the Canmore area.

At this point, here are my Banff selections;

1. Banff Springs

2. Kananaskis Mt Kidd

3. Kananaskis Mt Lorette

4. Stewart Creek

5. Silvertip

6. ??????

We could play Banff Springs twice or add a sixth course. I'm not looking for bargains, just the best courses within reasonable driving distance. Jasper Springs is too far away.

Thoughts?

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I'm doing research for next July and trying to decide between Whistler and Banff for a seven-night, six-round trip. We will probably rent houses in the Canmore area.

>

> At this point, here are my Banff selections;

> 1. Banff Springs

> 2. Kananaskis Mt Kidd

> 3. Kananaskis Mt Lorette

> 4. Stewart Creek

> 5. Silvertip

> 6. ??????

>

> We could play Banff Springs twice or add a sixth course. I'm not looking for bargains, just the best courses within reasonable driving distance. Jasper Springs is too far away.

>

> Thoughts?

Canmore GC. Nice course

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

• 2 weeks later...

> @Kale_m said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > I'm doing research for next July and trying to decide between Whistler and Banff for a seven-night, six-round trip. We will probably rent houses in the Canmore area.

> >

> > At this point, here are my Banff selections;

> > 1. Banff Springs

> > 2. Kananaskis Mt Kidd

> > 3. Kananaskis Mt Lorette

> > 4. Stewart Creek

> > 5. Silvertip

> > 6. ??????

> >

> > We could play Banff Springs twice or add a sixth course. I'm not looking for bargains, just the best courses within reasonable driving distance. Jasper Springs is too far away.

> >

> > Thoughts?

>

> Canmore GC. Nice course

Second this.

• 1 month later...

> @Instron4204 said:

> Just got back from Canmore and letting everyone know that Stewart Creek, Banff Springs (both courses) and Canmore GC were in spectacular shape. Stewart Creek has to be tops on my list, great track.

Great to hear, playing Stewart Creek and Banff back to back days next week. Can’t wait!

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* w/ Tensei AV 65s Cobra F7 5-6 (17*) w/ Tour AD DJ 7s Cobra F7 7-8 (21*) w/ Tour AD DJ 8s Cobra F7 4H (23.5*) w/ Recoil ES 85 Maltby PTM Black 5-GW Cobra King Black 52v & 58v Evnroll ER1

• 2 months later...

> @Austincountyag said:

> so we are leaving for our trip on June 9th and I am booked for Banff Springs on the 10th...early weather outlook looks like the whole week we are their for 50% chance of rain....for those in the area does that mean my round likely won't happen, or is the "rain" there in banff more of a light sprinkle, etc?

how was the weather for your trip? planning a trip out to banff for next june. how were course conditions at that time of the year? thanks

• 1 month later...

July is much better than June on balance. It tends to rain more in this part of the world in June vs July.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's