Club Champion, worth it?

Tanner25

I went to CC to get fit for irons this spring. It was interesting and insightful , and I bought the irons from them. Unfortunately The irons sucked, and I sold them. It was an expensive experiment.

Did you speak with your fitter about the frustration with the irons afterwards? Club Champion has a Perfect Fit Guarantee that says if you don't see the results you saw in the hitting bay we will fix or replace them within 90 days.

I got fitted at CC earlier this year, I bought P790s with Oban CT 115. $1,800. They were horrible on the course (too long) and I called my fitter to get options. Replacing was never presented as an option, just adjusting lofts etc.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

• 2 years later...

I just had an iron fitting today. 8 irons, 4-PW, GW, the price was $3000.28. Wow. For Mizuno JPX-921 Forged Irons, KBS Tour TGI90g shafts and Golf pride grips. That's $375 per club, folks. They want $115 for each of the KBS graphite shafts, which I can get for $59 online. $15 for the Golf Pride Align grips, $12 at any golf store, and $30 for sst puring (no thanks). I'm okay with the $150 fitting fee. You do get good data if the fitter knows what they are doing. However, the major problem I have is, they charge me full retail for the Mizuno head, even though that cost typically includes another grip and shaft. I asked if they could order the clubheads only, and they said no. So, seeing that my son also needs new shafts, I asked if I could order the clubs and put the shafts they fitted me into, and keep the stock shaft that can be ordered from Mizuno (FOR THE SAME PRICE!)... and basically got a no. I smell a rat.

Edited by Duplic8tor
  • Like 2

Driver- Taylormade M6 8*, Fujikura Speeder 757, Tour Spec X Flex, MCC Align Red

Fairway wood- Taylormade M6 14*, Tensei CK Series 65, S Flex, MCC Align Red

Strong Hybrid- Ping i20 17*, TFC 707H, S Flex, MCC Align Red

Baby Hybrid- Titleist H2 21*, Tensei CK Series 60HY, S Flex, MCC Align Red

Irons- Ping Blueprint, Power Spec Lofts, Green Dot Lie angle, +.5", 4-PW, DG120 S300, MCC Align Red

Wedges- Cleveland RTX4, 54*, 58*, +2* upright, MCC Align Red

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 - 2020, -2* lie, -1* loft

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

11 hours ago, Duplic8tor said:

I just had an iron fitting today. 8 irons, 4-PW, GW, the price was $3000.28. Wow. For Mizuno JPX-921 Forged Irons, KBS Tour TGI90g shafts and Golf pride grips. That's $375 per club, folks. They want $115 for each of the KBS graphite shafts, which I can get for $59 online. $15 for the Golf Pride Align grips, $12 at any golf store, and $30 for sst puring (no thanks). I'm okay with the $150 fitting fee. You do get good data if the fitter knows what they are doing. However, the major problem I have is, they charge me full retail for the Mizuno head, even though that cost typically includes another grip and shaft. I asked if they could order the clubheads only, and they said no. So, seeing that my son also needs new shafts, I asked if I could order the clubs and put the shafts they fitted me into, and keep the stock shaft that can be ordered from Mizuno (FOR THE SAME PRICE!)... and basically got a no. I smell a rat.

Many people have stated CC lets them keep the old shafts - but its only if you ask. Shady to begin with, but even worse that this specific CC said no to your request.

Either way - having CC build your clubs seems to be a big no fro many of the customer reviews.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I had the exact same experience.  I relatively enjoyed the fitting but the business model is outrageous.  

The stock shaft for my irons underperformed my “best” track man numbers by 1 yard.  They wouldn’t budge on the guarantee only applying to the “best” option.

Get fitted, then hunt the bst.  Will come out ahead every time!

Seems they get a kick back from Mizuno as almost everyone I know including myself was fit into Mizuno's.  I literally went in with 919 JPX Tours and he tried to sell me into 919 JPX Hot Metals because I was hitting the 6 iron 210.  No thanks.  Not to mention, in Columbus, the nimrod didn't have the flight scope aligned correctly and it displayed every single shot as a snap hook with no spin.  I was intentionally hitting massive cut slices and it would show as a hook.  I went to the course immediately after the fitting and hit fade after fade after fade.  I sent the numbers to iteach and he said "he doesn't know how to align his radar, no way you spin it that low ever".

So my fitting was mostly a waste of time with the exception of picking a shaft which was the main reason I went, I wanted to hit quite a few shafts to see what felt best.  I ended up with X100's.  I will never go back.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I really enjoyed the club fitting experience but the post fitting club building costs were too high for me. I took the sheet they gave me, sent it to Global golf, and they ordered my irons direct through Srixon who built to spec. I bought the shafts for my hybrids on ebay and took them to a local clubfitter to build to spec. I ordered the woods through Callaway direct and send them my fitting sheet and they matched my specs. 

It took a little bit of effort but I spent about 1/3 of what CC was going to charge me for the clubs and I feel confident that I am playing the best set for my game. 

Edited by lespaulist
  • Like 3

On 11/24/2018 at 8:19 AM, 3wood said:

Anyone been to the Nashville CC? Thinking about going in January

Dont go 

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Had a terrible experience with a fitting and reshaft. The upcharge on the iron shafts is considered "labor" (I asked about it), but I got a really crap build from my local CC store. The clubs had excess glue globbing out of the ferrules, heads, and glue stains on the graphite shafts. The ferrules weren't turned down properly. I spoke with customer support and they had me send my clubs off to their HQ to be rebuilt. The rebuild came out well, as they should have the first time, especially considering the cost. I won't be using them for any builds again, it would be strictly fitting only.

For anyone reading and considering CC - if you get a copy of your fitting results, Fairway Jockey does a good job of custom builds for cheaper.

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

• 3 months later...

I’ve gone to both TrueSpec and Club Champion in the NY/NJ area.  TrueSpec was 2 years ago, Club Champion was today (10/21). I couldn’t have had polar different experiences. TrueSpec was able to optimize my driver, gaining 25 yards while limiting my misses. After watching my swing the fitter offered a handful of head/shaft combos.  Eventually tweaking the adapter settings on the Cobra/Fubuki setup.  At Club Champion my fitter had me hit 9 heads in 6 shafts.  I must have swung 100-120 times with my swing and speed worsening over time.  In the end my gamer beat his recommendation yet he insisted on me buying a club.  He applied the hard sell even though I didn’t gain distance or minimize my misses.  Sure both shops want fittings to result in a sale but only if there’s an advantage to be had. I’m planning to head back to TrueSpec next week, I’m curious what they recommend. I’m certain I’ll walk out knowing I got the best service available.  DM me if you have additional questions.

• Like 2

I think for tinkering, it's tough to beat. But I didn't have the best experience. First my fitter was the previous GG manager so I kinda already knew abt their experience (ignorance is bliss). My wing wasnt great that day, but what really messed me up was how dark it was inside the booth. Sounds odd but it really threw me off. In truth, it was likely 1 of 6 or 7 different things. Playing top golf at night was better lit. Keep in mind as this was the height of covid so unless you had an appt, you weren't allowed in. 

Needless to say, I cut that short and went to a putter fitting which was fine. The best for me ended up was the the elevado but with their upcharge, it was twice as much. Despite being upfront and saying I was not Going to buy anything, got the hard sale which turned me off. 

I might go back next fall. In the process of rebuilding my swing and once grooved, would like to go tinker again.. Now knowing what to expect. I just won't buy anything there

I enjoyed the putter fitting. And for as important as the club is, I think anyone taking the game serious should get that done. Find one of the 50% fitting and check it out. 

Edited by Russ757

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

I went, guy was horrible. They try to sell everyone Obans, clearly. I got my money back, waste of time 

• Like 1

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

5 hours ago, NAM2212 said:

I enjoyed the fitting. They tried hard to get me into Oban iron shafts and a Graphite Design driver shaft that is made for them. The hard sell started after that. $1200 extra for no up charge iron shafts. 

but they would be pured.. lol

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

I went this year to get a fitting for driver shaft only. I’m getting older I didn’t know what I needed anymore.  It was awesome he was able to find the right shaft for me to maximize my numbers.  Well worth it if you are going to invest in your game.  Driver shaft has been awesome and definitely making a difference in my game.

Titleist TSI3 10

TM Sim Rocket 

TM Sim 2 TI 5 wood

TM 790 UDI 2 iron

Titleist T 200s 4-pw

TM Milled grind 50,56,60

Toulon Chicago 

www.nike.com

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2021 at 8:36 AM, propman said:

They certainly like Oban shafts! Wonder why? Follow the money.

I’ve been to Club Champion twice and had the same experience both times. The fitting was great but hate the selling tactics. Do the fitting with them then take your specs elsewhere to order. Titleist’s custom shop offers most of the same shafts that club champion offers. Same with TaylorMade. The one shaft that club makers don’t offer is Oban which is the first shaft Club Champion will put you in. They will always push you to that shaft which is made specifically for them. 

I ended up in the true temper dynamic golf tour issue which is offered custom by Titliest. I was up front that I wanted to order directly from Titleist.  They still haggled me to order the same shafts through them. Said I was being “cheap” and “imprudent”. The cost was $1,000 more because you are forced to buy the shafts, grips and labor twice for the exact same club. I’m believe there is some benefit to puring the shafts but not enough to justify an extra $1000. I’m an 8 handicap, any minor shafts imperfections won’t make a difference in my swing. My game would be better off if I spent that extra $1,000 on lessons instead of a “pure” shaft. 

Would be interested in TrueSpec had the same selling tactics. It has unfortunately really ruined my experience/opinion on Club Champion. 

40 minutes ago, BostonGolf1984 said:

I’ve been to Club Champion twice and had the same experience both times. The fitting was great but hate the selling tactics. Do the fitting with them then take your specs elsewhere to order. Titleist’s custom shop offers most of the same shafts that club champion offers. Same with TaylorMade. The one shaft that club makers don’t offer is Oban which is the first shaft Club Champion will put you in. They will always push you to that shaft which is made specifically for them. 

I ended up in the true temper dynamic golf tour issue which is offered custom by Titliest. I was up front that I wanted to order directly from Titleist.  They still haggled me to order the same shafts through them. Said I was being “cheap” and “imprudent”. The cost was $1,000 more because you are forced to buy the shafts, grips and labor twice for the exact same club. I’m believe there is some benefit to puring the shafts but not enough to justify an extra $1000. I’m an 8 handicap, any minor shafts imperfections won’t make a difference in my swing. My game would be better off if I spent that extra $1,000 on lessons instead of a “pure” shaft. 

Would be interested in TrueSpec had the same selling tactics. It has unfortunately really ruined my experience/opinion on Club Champion. 

Wow, that is pretty awful if they called you "cheap and imprudent"

Which CC is this?  From your name, is it the Boston one?

Yadi for President

I really wish this custom model resulted in better outcomes…it really is a mixed bag of good/bad fittings and a shocking price tag. The hard sell never leaves anyone feeling good about their experience. I’ve been to both True Spec and CC as well as some quality boutique fitters and seen it all at this point. 

I’d say I’m only really disappointed in my experience at CC. My last time there I did a driver fitting and they missed the mark. Who gets fitted into a TS1 head these days…?  That and the Vylyn shaft went for a smooth $900. I get the model, but can’t believe this was really the best combo.  It was the straightest, however! 

I don’t think the money spent on their fittings is wasted, the data and variety of offerings can add significantly to the process and improves decision making. Actually buying from them is a different story in my case. 

Glad I started doing my own work years ago for when I need to do a one off build. 

Edited by agolfman

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer