Who the HELL actually chips and pitches with LEFT HAND LOW?

I perform one type of SPECIFIC chip left-hand low, so as to mimic my left-hand low putting....when I'm just off the collar up to about 6-8 yards away from the collar, I "putt-chip" with anywhere from a 6i to a GW, according to how much ground time & roll I need for the distance to the pin (as a reference, 9i is the choice if you need a 1:1 ratio, air to roll distance). Probably the most consistent shot in my bag, including the putter, and I'm a decent putter. Just a putting stroke technique w/ the club set on its toe at address so as to get the shaft vertical like a putter (and it deadens impact, which you want). Just pops it over the longer grass and onto the surface, rolling like a putt. Can usually get that shot to within 3 feet to stone dead, 80% of the time. Too bad my iron play doesn't leave me that shot often enough. :russian_roulette:

Beyond that shot, it's conventional chipping/pitching for me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old thread, and as COVID-19 drags on we do crazy things. I recently started putting cross handed and really have liked how it rolls the ball. So... I toyed around with cross handed chipping today. It

I do and have been doing it for a couple of years now, will never go back to conventional. Anything within 50 yards I'm cross-handed, whether it's a 7i, PW or SW. And not trying to brag but I am very

This thread not going the way the OP planned :rofl:

The pro at my first club was called Tony Fisher, who was one of the first players on the sunshine tour back in the 60's and had a few high finishes on the European Tour.

Fish got the chipping yips and cured it by chipping one handed. He actually led The Open one year after the first round and had chipped one handed then.

He was a huge character who knew everyone in the golfing world and through him I got to meet Gary Player and also to drive the cart for Bob Hope when he popped in for a game.

When he had retired from tour to become a club pro he would play captain and pro challenge on a Sunday and didn't even bother to take his bag off his shoulder sometimes when he was chipping one handed!

I actually tried the LHL chipping and putting today while walking 9 and then at the chipping green. Once learning how hard to hit the ball its actually very easy and very accurate. I found I had to hit the ball a tad harder then normal for the same distance. Though I could not use it putting at all. It was just too different then my regular claw putting grip and style. I played the 9 hitting all my chips twice and then at the practice area. At the end of the practice session I hit some chips using my regular grip and the LHL practice seemed to help my regular chipping style.

I'm normally a very good chipper and found that I had chipped in a few more practice chips then I normally would have with my regular grip. This will be something I'll be working on and maybe taking to the course after a while. The setup, I found, had to be ball back, hands forward and weight, more then my normal neutral, forward. Resulting in very clean contact.

Years ago I played in a USGA qualifier (can't remember if US Am or Open local) with a guy named Craig Welty who was left hand low for EVERY SHOT! And he advanced. Hit 3 shots from 140+ inside of 5 feet on the last 9 holes.

I've played a lot of golf with a lot of people over the years from complete beginners to Tour professionals. One player stands out almost above all others -- he played every shot left hand low, but he was a LONG way from what's mentioned about Craig Welty! The guy I was paired with might have been the single worst player I've ever played golf with. Nice guy, but man, it was painful to watch! He said he got the full swing yips "a few years ago" so he switched. :swoon: I seriously think he shot 150 -- maybe more.

I cannot imagine even trying a full swing left hand low, let alone hitting a ball, let alone playing that way!!!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

• 1 year later...

Old thread, and as COVID-19 drags on we do crazy things.

I recently started putting cross handed and really have liked how it rolls the ball.

So... I toyed around with cross handed chipping today. It was certainly an interesting experience. Cross handed chipping was really pretty consistent. I was really surprised how well it seemed to work. Directional control was really good. Distance control was pretty good too. I got some comparisons of the conventional grip and the cross handed. Interesting to see how the body positions compare.

please excuse the non golf attire

GVPELPGJQTKP.png

UL7DA4WQDZ6H.png

0AGUL5MGIEN3.png

LPZS3VMX2Z9P.png

8MKRBFONAS3T.png

3WF8CI8012VK.png

• Like 2