3 wood for a sr

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are set on adding a 3W, then the TM high launch heads should work. I have seen really good results with an adjustable 5W turned down to a 4W.

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra G410 3W  
Ping G400 7W

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

From one senior to another:

Ping G series, G20, G25, (but 4 wood) or G or G400 (16 degree SFT). Or even K15 16 degree. Shallow larger head and lighter swingweight makes launch easier.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G410  5 wood (at 16.5°) &  7 wood ( at 19.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  22° & 26° (at 25°) hybrids  Alta CB 70 R

Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A

Vokey SM6 49.07, 53.07, 58.08M  Steelfiber i80 R

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"

Thx guys. How about a 3 wood that's good off the tee as well? Prefer a larger head. How about the G400 Stretch? 13 degrees, larger head.

You haven't mentioned what you are using now, what you would most use a 3W for, handicap, swing speed, etc.

All of this is important because the number of amateurs, and especially us old guys with slower swing speeds, that can consistently hit a 3W off the ground is very small. I use my 3W primarily as a layup club off the tee; I might hit it off the ground once a round, and ONLY when there is legit chance of hitting a green AND no real penalty for missing. Otherwise, I hit a hybrid; I can hit a 2 hybrid almost as far and MUCH more consistently than a 3W off the ground.

If you intend to use it primarily off the ground, then maybe think of 16* as an absolute minimum for loft, and look for something with a shallow face; most of the Pings fit this category. If you are going to use it mostly off the tee, then the Titleist versions are great and fully adjustable. In other words, there is no shortage of either, but I think most players struggle to find a 3W that is great for both.

Maybe one other way to think about it is to think about gaps. If you're hitting your driver 230 off a 3" tee, then you aren't going to find any club that you can hit 220 off the ground. So then look that the next club below that 3W slot and think about how far you hit that club off the ground, and look for a hybrid or fairway wood that fills the gap, rather than searching forever for a 3W that you can hit off the ground as far as you hit it off the tee.

The best 3-wood off the ground is a G25 4-wood for this senior. If you are looking for a 3-wood off the tee, consider that as a separate club. I use a Ping Rapture mini-driver; the G400 stretch might be really good for that.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Depends on what one is calling a "3" wood now days. As one senior to another loft and a flexible shaft are your friends here. Most of the time I use older V-Steels with Pro Launch Blue shafts. The 4 wood is 16.5* and the 5 wood is 18*. Lately I have been using a Adams Tight Lies with the slot in the sole with a Bassara R in it. That Adams is 16* Can hit a variety of shots with it either from the fairway or off the tee. Now you were asking for a larger face that Tight Lies is not that large. If you are wanting a larger head and face I suggest a TM Rocket Balls. Also unlike any of my V-Steels or Adams many of the modern "3" woods are adjustable. At my age and reduced SS the 13* and 14* 3 woods are a thing of the past. Personally I carried the old Cally Steel Head Plus at 13* for 13 seasons. 2 years ago I got to where I could not elevate it with the UST Pro Force Gold Stiff in it. Like I said loft and tip flex are our friends now

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

The best 3-wood off the ground is a G25 4-wood for this senior. If you are looking for a 3-wood off the tee, consider that as a separate club. I use a Ping Rapture mini-driver; the G400 stretch might be really good for that.

What is the loft on that G25 4 wood? Just curious because I am not familiar with Ping equipment unless it is vintage Ping putters

What is the loft on that G25 4 wood? Just curious because I am not familiar with Ping equipment unless it is vintage Ping putters

16.5*. The nice thing for me is that the shaft length is the same as the 3-wood.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Recently went to my club fitter and hit shots outside with launch monitor and found that my 5 wood (17 degree) had consistently better launch, distance and control than my 3 wood (14.5) off the deck. Dropped the 3 wood and although occasionally do miss it for off the tee the 5 wood has led to better scoring for me. Plus dropping the 3 wood has allowed me to add another hybrid to the bag.

Ping G410 Plus EvenFlow Red
Ping G410 5 wood  w 3wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 7 wood  w 5wood ALTA CB 65
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Kuro Kage Black 55 
Srixon ZX5 5-PW w Recoil 95's
Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind 
Vokey SM8 56.12 D Grind
Vokey SM8 60.08 M Grind DG S200

PXG One & Done

Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Thx guys. How about a 3 wood that's good off the tee as well? Prefer a larger head. How about the G400 Stretch? 13 degrees, larger head.

You haven't mentioned what you are using now, what you would most use a 3W for, handicap, swing speed, etc.

All of this is important because the number of amateurs, and especially us old guys with slower swing speeds, that can consistently hit a 3W off the ground is very small. I use my 3W primarily as a layup club off the tee; I might hit it off the ground once a round, and ONLY when there is legit chance of hitting a green AND no real penalty for missing. Otherwise, I hit a hybrid; I can hit a 2 hybrid almost as far and MUCH more consistently than a 3W off the ground.

If you intend to use it primarily off the ground, then maybe think of 16* as an absolute minimum for loft, and look for something with a shallow face; most of the Pings fit this category. If you are going to use it mostly off the tee, then the Titleist versions are great and fully adjustable. In other words, there is no shortage of either, but I think most players struggle to find a 3W that is great for both.

Maybe one other way to think about it is to think about gaps. If you're hitting your driver 230 off a 3" tee, then you aren't going to find any club that you can hit 220 off the ground. So then look that the next club below that 3W slot and think about how far you hit that club off the ground, and look for a hybrid or fairway wood that fills the gap, rather than searching forever for a 3W that you can hit off the ground as far as you hit it off the tee.

Using a Heaven wood now off the deck, really was looking for something off the tee in place of my D100 12 degree.

16.5*. The nice thing for me is that the shaft length is the same as the 3-wood.

Good combo because that is the exact loft of a V-Steel 4 wood and one half of a degree ( shrug) less than the Adams I am messing with now. Yep I can see the shaft length thing too gives a variety of shot options

Recently went to my club fitter and hit shots outside with launch monitor and found that my 5 wood (17 degree) had consistently better launch, distance and control than my 3 wood (14.5) off the deck. Dropped the 3 wood and although occasionally do miss it for off the tee the 5 wood has led to better scoring for me. Plus dropping the 3 wood has allowed me to add another hybrid to the bag.

Yep sometimes the hybrid is a good alternative to a 3 wood. My game is kinda quirky compared to others my age. I still hit blade long irons pretty well and use my 3 iron @ 20* off the tees on tight par 4s depends on the conditions. I do not do hybrids well even though I do own some. I tend to go after them and hook the snot out of them. When my long iron game may get off from time to time I pull the 3 and 4 irons and go to my V-Steel 7 & 9 woods.

Using a Heaven wood now off the deck, really was looking for something off the tee in place of my D100 12 degree.

12* man that thing is a hoss!!!!

12* man that thing is a hoss!!!!

Ha ha, it's also a 2-wood.

A little off the beaten path, but . . . I'm an older guy, 66, as well, with bad knees and a driver swing speed that has fallen in the last couple of years to 87-90. Have been playing a Tour Edge Exotics EX10 4 wood, 16.5 loft, and very happy with it. Usually around 200 yards from the fairway, also good on the tee box. Have also just started trying out a High Heat 3 wood (legit but small manufacturer). Large, shallow face, 16 degrees. So far, has beaten the Tour Edge in terms of length, just a bit less versatile in terms of hitting out of the rough and off anything but flat lies. But check out the Knuth Golf/High Heat website. Have tried Ping, Callaway, and TM, and Tour Edge and High Heat have both beat out my clubs from the big boys.

Ping K15 is large, I think just under 200cc. Try it both off tee and ground. The size may make hits off fairway feel weird. Lowest fw in bag for several years has been a 5W, as better launch/distance consistency. For a tee club for long par 3 (200 yards plus) or tight par 4, put my TM Slider Mini in bag (260cc and 12°). I don't use the Slider off the fairway.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Alta CB R flex, std length
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB, R flex std length
Callaway 2004 Big Bertha 7W, 22°., Callaway RCH graphite, R flex std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 5-D Wedge, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland Smart Sole SW, 58°, Dynamic Gold wedge flex, std length

Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip 35"

First of all, consider going to a 4W. Golf equipment tests show that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes farther - than a 3W. for moderate swing speeds, the extra loft helps launch the ball better which helps distance.

If you're considering older FWs...

• MIlfordlefty suggested the Ping K15. These were low profile woods, and the 3W was 16* (a 4W in most systems).
  • Also, check out the Tour Edge Exotics XRail; had a 16.5* 4W. The boathull sole minimizes turf resistance. I played the XRail 4W and 7W for six seasons. XRails are now on standby; I'm trying the 815 Alpha for its more aggressive head.

Note: TM 3W/HL models have a 17* head and are basically a 4W. But, the shafts are 3W length, and may be a bit hard to control without a shaft trim.

I have a RBZ Stage 2 3W/HL in my backup bag of TaylorMade gear, but haven't hit it much.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.