Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

Rickie got a question on his Instagram account about the sole weights being light vs. his playing length. He's got a bunch of hotmelt in his driver, my guess is it's in the toe for flight bias.

Exactly this. If Rickie cuts down his driver to 43.5", then he would need to add like 20 grams of weight to the head to get back to same swing weight at 45.5" (1.6g per SW point times 12 SW points for 2 inches).

So if he is using "light weights" it would indicate that he doesn't want any more mass in the center of the clubhead. He probably needs to move a lot of weight towards the toe to play his fade. So if anything, this would support my findings that the driver is inherently MORE draw (or conversely LESS fade biased) than some of the competitors I tried.

The only missing piece for me to buy this driver is to have an option to move weights towards toe. I don't want to mess with hotmelt, as I can't "dial that in".

Play around with lead tape to see where you would prefer the extra weight and then have it melted from there.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Fitted today for the Fujikura Ventus. Ordered 7S untipped and being built up with F9 tip. If you are familiar with Modus shafts, the Ventus reminded me of the 120 in a wood shaft. Super stiff tip but very soft feeling throughout the swing. Easy to load but dispersion was amazing. Should have it Friday for a maiden voyage this weekend.

Fitted today for the Fujikura Ventus. Ordered 7S untipped and being built up with F9 tip. If you are familiar with Modus shafts, the Ventus reminded me of the 120 in a wood shaft. Super stiff tip but very soft feeling throughout the swing. Easy to load but dispersion was amazing. Should have it Friday for a maiden voyage this weekend.

I really like that combo myself

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Gotcha re the house situation.

... are you a negative AoA guy or no? Sometimes high spinners just naturally strike the ball low on the face but still swing up.

I am that kind of hitter, at least right now> Do you have a shaft rec. for that type? My dynamic loft (before recent adjustments) was 29. Doing a couple things to lower that but laugh angle has been around 17* so looking for shaft ideas to try.

Meh, usually I see good fitters recommend lower spinning higher launching heads such as M3 or now maybe M5 or Flash SZ for guys who struggle with higher spin because of that. The shaft won't have as much influence as what the head will do. Shaft is kind of a random variable and it may or may not change much. I've spun lower spin shafts higher than "medium spin" ones. Most recent example is VA Composites Drago vs Raijin. Spun Raijin less and hit it longer than Drago, despite Raijin being classed as higher launch.

I get your point. Looking at the two TXG tests of the F9 it shows how individual the shafts can be. Need to get a real pro fitter I guess. There is a shop near here that seems to have some selection but I haven't seen a lot of testimonials about their skill. Seems to me that one might get different results each time one goes to test shafts too. My experience with hitting in a bay with a simulator is that the results are quite different from the real world, so there's also that. Confusing.

I really like that combo myself

I see that in your sig. Speed of the Cobra head is already amazing on center strikes and off center too. Paired with that shaft I picked up some speed and off-center strikes were where my good ones where with the Tensei. Dispersion looked like my wedge on GCQuad. Not sure how this will all translate outside and not selling the Tensei yet but have high hopes here again to make an amazing driver even better.

Gotcha re the house situation.

... are you a negative AoA guy or no? Sometimes high spinners just naturally strike the ball low on the face but still swing up.

I am that kind of hitter, at least right now> Do you have a shaft rec. for that type? My dynamic loft (before recent adjustments) was 29. Doing a couple things to lower that but laugh angle has been around 17* so looking for shaft ideas to try.

Meh, usually I see good fitters recommend lower spinning higher launching heads such as M3 or now maybe M5 or Flash SZ for guys who struggle with higher spin because of that. The shaft won't have as much influence as what the head will do. Shaft is kind of a random variable and it may or may not change much. I've spun lower spin shafts higher than "medium spin" ones. Most recent example is VA Composites Drago vs Raijin. Spun Raijin less and hit it longer than Drago, despite Raijin being classed as higher launch.

I get your point. Looking at the two TXG tests of the F9 it shows how individual the shafts can be. Need to get a real pro fitter I guess. There is a shop near here that seems to have some selection but I haven't seen a lot of testimonials about their skill. Seems to me that one might get different results each time one goes to test shafts too. My experience with hitting in a bay with a simulator is that the results are quite different from the real world, so there's also that. Confusing.

Yeah it's pretty individual. I was fit by Mac at TXG and we literally never talked about spin during my fit. Everything was about feels and dispersion... I just let him do his thing. I was just a cheap bastxxx and didn't want to buy a new $3k bag. Tried to replicate everything as best I could with used or similar parts.

And yes you may, you bring with you on that day a swing which could be slightly different than a week later, depending on index. It's always a work in progress... that's why we ho clubs/shafts, even pro's still rotate in and out of gear.

Only club I'm still curious about is St190.

You should be. It's verrrrrrry good. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Anyone have insight on how the OBAN Kiyshi shafts perform with the F9 head? I have a gold that I am thinking about trying if the PX Black is launching too low.

I hope to know how the Kiyoshi HB performs pretty soon. Brand new one on the way... should be here Saturday. New cobra tip on the way along with new weights direct from cobra. And of course a White/black f9 driver will be here tomorrow! I ordered from DD with an Atmos Black, but I’ll have the Kiyoshi, a 125 msi and an Attas punch to try in it.

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

Anyone have insight on how the OBAN Kiyshi shafts perform with the F9 head? I have a gold that I am thinking about trying if the PX Black is launching too low.

I hope to know how the Kiyoshi HB performs pretty soon. Brand new one on the way... should be here Saturday. New cobra tip on the way along with new weights direct from cobra. And of course a White/black f9 driver will be here tomorrow! I ordered from DD with an Atmos Black, but I'll have the Kiyoshi, a 125 msi and an Attas punch to try in it.

What shaft do you come from? The HB is obviously counter balanced, compared to say Kiyoshi White, it should SW the same head at the same length approximately 3 SW points less, so keep that in mind. However I do believe 125 msi is counter balanced, but I'm not sure about Attas.

As far at vs the other shafts you've listed... I would expect the HB to play the softest. I have a 65X with my LTD pro head and I'm considering tipping it at least .5'' because it does feel a touch soft. CHS when I'm going at it right now is max 110, so it's a little concerning that in my summer swing I'm probably closer to 115 or so... And I have plans to try and touch 120 this year.

My F9 driver arrived yesterday at the front door; literally picked it up and went the range with the rest of the bag. Ended up hitting half a bucket of balls comparing it against the TS2 and playing with settings.

I don't find this to be draw biased as some of the comments are saying. My normal shot shape is a draw and it feels neutral with the weight in the back. I struggled to get consistent results with the weight forward. Current set up is Atmos Blue TS 6S, weight back, standard loft on draw (upright). Same set up on the TS2, standard loft and 0.75* upright with the HZRDUS Smoke 6.0.

I'm going to keep the F9 in the bag for a bit. I wasn't getting mind blowing performance over the TS2 but it was going a few yards further. Just personal preferences make it better e.g. softer feel and muted sound.

I hope to know how the Kiyoshi HB performs pretty soon. Brand new one on the way... should be here Saturday. New cobra tip on the way along with new weights direct from cobra. And of course a White/black f9 driver will be here tomorrow! I ordered from DD with an Atmos Black, but I'll have the Kiyoshi, a 125 msi and an Attas punch to try in it.

What shaft do you come from? The HB is obviously counter balanced, compared to say Kiyoshi White, it should SW the same head at the same length approximately 3 SW points less, so keep that in mind. However I do believe 125 msi is counter balanced, but I'm not sure about Attas.

As far at vs the other shafts you've listed... I would expect the HB to play the softest. I have a 65X with my LTD pro head and I'm considering tipping it at least .5'' because it does feel a touch soft. CHS when I'm going at it right now is max 110, so it's a little concerning that in my summer swing I'm probably closer to 115 or so... And I have plans to try and touch 120 this year.

Thanks for the insight!

My current gamer and probably my favorite driver to date is a ping g400 lst with a 125msi stiff. I bought up a few Wilson tritons for around $50 each and pulled the shafts. I already have a cobra tip on the next one waiting for the f9.

I am very sensitive to swing weight. I am not afraid of lead tape but I’ll eventually buy the correct weight to get whatever shaft head combo I think will make the bag to D3–4.

I have a pro orange stiff that I just tipped 1/2” and put a ping tip on. I hit it in a g400 max and I must say it was really really fun. It would give my current gamer a run for its money. The max headweight needed to be 206 with that shaft at 45”

I swing 106-108 with a driver. And I am happy to hear you say the HB plays a little soft because I ordered an X flex. It was $99 brand new so I went for it even though it was an X. My second favorite shaft is an x flex speeder platinum Un-tipped that I think plays a touch soft to flex. I hope that I ordered the correct weight for the f9 but if not I’ll just use lead tape to test!

2019:
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

James Robinson's review wasn't as OTT as I was expecting as he seemed pretty hyped to be finally testing the F9. Didn't seem to get great results with it although by no means terrible.

No one has mentioned the weight in their reviews which has been quite interesting too. Must say when I was testing in and outdoors I never noticed it. Plenty forgiving too. Should have mine by this Saturday!

Thanks for the insight!

My current gamer and probably my favorite driver to date is a ping g400 lst with a 125msi stiff. I bought up a few Wilson tritons for around $50 each and pulled the shafts. I already have a cobra tip on the next one waiting for the f9.

I am very sensitive to swing weight. I am not afraid of lead tape but Ill eventually buy the correct weight to get whatever shaft head combo I think will make the bag to D34.

I have a pro orange stiff that I just tipped 1/2 and put a ping tip on. I hit it in a g400 max and I must say it was really really fun. It would give my current gamer a run for its money. The max headweight needed to be 206 with that shaft at 45

I swing 106-108 with a driver. And I am happy to hear you say the HB plays a little soft because I ordered an X flex. It was $99 brand new so I went for it even though it was an X. My second favorite shaft is an x flex speeder platinum Un-tipped that I think plays a touch soft to flex. I hope that I ordered the correct weight for the f9 but if not Ill just use lead tape to test!

Found this glob on my finger underneath the 2g weight (at the bottom of the screws..just pulled it on out) as I wanted to see it with the 14g weight in the back. To much spin but I did get this glob out that was connected to the bottom of the 2g weight. Added 2g of lead tape to the front and put me at D4 which I also like. Hit a few new XV's into the woods dead strait and great launch and lower spin it appeared as they carried above avg for me. #lead tape... It was a rubbery sticky type glob that the bottom of the 2g weight pulled out when I removed it. I need more weight up front as I spin the ball pretty high and even with the Atmos Black still probably launch at 14-15 degrees. D3.5-D4.5 is where I'm most happy with a driver

I cut the lead tape to the same shape as the weight and poke a screw hole in the middle and hide the lead tape underneath the weight. Just a thought. Something else I also do for increased swing weight is go to the hobby store and get tungsten putty for pinewood derby cars and put a little bit of that under the weights or down the shaft held with the cork.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Callaway Jaws Raw 54* & 58*
Odyssey 5K #7 34”

I played most of the day today with the 18g up front and 6g in the rear. Was hitting it ok but just a little squirrelly. Put a 10g up front and 14g rear and it really came alive.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Thanks for the insight!

I am very sensitive to swing weight. I am not afraid of lead tape but I'll eventually buy the correct weight to get whatever shaft head combo I think will make the bag to D3–4.

I have a pro orange stiff that I just tipped 1/2" and put a ping tip on. I hit it in a g400 max and I must say it was really really fun. It would give my current gamer a run for its money. The max headweight needed to be 206 with that shaft at 45"

I swing 106-108 with a driver. And I am happy to hear you say the HB plays a little soft because I ordered an X flex. It was $99 brand new so I went for it even though it was an X. My second favorite shaft is an x flex speeder platinum Un-tipped that I think plays a touch soft to flex. I hope that I ordered the correct weight for the f9 but if not I'll just use lead tape to test!

Also consider that for me, LTD head weighs more than the F9 head, but is on par with G400 heads. They are heavier... so with F9 I would likely be okay with an untipped X flex but with G400 and anything over the 202 or 203g range, I need a CB shaft that's also tipped a little most likely. Something like Pro OJ 60TX is on my radar but, that's a lot of pocket change that I don't have right now.

James Robinson's review wasn't as OTT as I was expecting as he seemed pretty hyped to be finally testing the F9. Didn't seem to get great results with it although by no means terrible.

No one has mentioned the weight in their reviews which has been quite interesting too. Must say when I was testing in and outdoors I never noticed it. Plenty forgiving too. Should have mine by this Saturday!

IRC, James has a negative AoA and many times guys who swing down on the ball do struggle to keep spin low. It's not likely a stock F9 will be optimal for him. He's much better off in SZ or M3/M5, maybe TS3.

I bet if James cut down to 44'' and slapped a heavy weight up front and used a 70X pro white or something, that 3200 spin would drop to like 2800 or 2900 easily. Sometimes you gotta take what your swing gives you unless you're willing to change it.

I cut the lead tape to the same shape as the weight and poke a screw hole in the middle and hide the lead tape underneath the weight. Just a thought. Something else I also do for increased swing weight is go to the hobby store and get tungsten putty for pinewood derby cars and put a little bit of that under the weights or down the shaft held with the cork.

Thanks for the ideas… I have about 15 strips on my TR Ping Zing putter and all over my wedges. Don't mind the look but good thoughts you provide.

Thanks for the ideas… I have about 15 strips on my TR Ping Zing putter and all over my wedges. Don't mind the look but good thoughts you provide.

Agreed. Good thoughts and tips.

2019:
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Now I have to try this. Please keep us informed.

Has anyone actually tried the Nippon graphite offerings? I know they match them to your Modus shaft preference.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I got a speeder Evo to try in my F9. I can no do some apples to apples F9 vs Epic flash. Both 45", D4, same shaft. Had to add some weight to the EF to get to D4, it was 2-3g total, added it right under the jail break ports so it might bring down spin a tad. Will just be a visual test today, will try to get on a monitor this weekend

I got a speeder Evo to try in my F9. I can no do some apples to apples F9 vs Epic flash. Both 45", D4, same shaft. Had to add some weight to the EF to get to D4, it was 2-3g total, added it right under the jail break ports so it might bring down spin a tad. Will just be a visual test today, will try to get on a monitor this weekend

2-3g on the exterior won’t do anything to the spin. Nothing anywhere close to noticeable at least.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

2-3g on the exterior won’t do anything to the spin. Nothing anywhere close to noticeable at least.

I think it could indirectly by changing how the club feels during your swing and possibly changing how you attack the ball.

I think it could indirectly by changing how the club feels during your swing and possibly changing how you attack the ball.

That’s completely different.

Piretti Savona