Titleist 917 Driver Surefit Weights - Need Help

columbuslinks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, bought a bunch of the chinese ones you can get on ebay for~ $3.50 each. Checked their weights and balance and they were spot on. Tried both draw and neutral in different weights in my D2, the change in weight made a difference, the draw/ neutral not so much. I'm ~ 90 mph with the driver, maybe at higher swing speeds the draw/ neutral would have more of an effect.

FWIW, bought a bunch of the chinese ones you can get on ebay for~ $3.50 each. Checked their weights and balance and they were spot on. Tried both draw and neutral in different weights in my D2, the change in weight made a difference, the draw/ neutral not so much. I'm ~ 90 mph with the driver, maybe at higher swing speeds the draw/ neutral would have more of an effect.

Are you using 12g weight? I'm thinking of trying the 8g.....

I chopped and changed the setting a couple of times when I had the 917.

I did noticed a difference that is for sure. I ended up with the neutral weight simply because the draw was fine most of the time. My usual ball flight is a little cut and the draw weighting did seem to even that out a little. That said, I am prone to the occasional snap hook and the weighting didn't help with that and the snap hook was a lot more damaging for me than something over cutting a little and missing the fairway. Definitely worth experimenting though.

Also, if you get a chance take a look at this TS thread on the Tour Equipment forum - http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1650638-titleists-new-ts-2-ts-3-driver-shot-2018-us-open/page__st__1560

Sampga has given the best description of how to use the adjustability on Titleist drivers that I have ever seen. It is obviously in relation to the TS3 but it is still applicable to the 917D2 and D3.

Titleist TS3 8.5*
Titleist 915Fd 15*
Titleist U510 1 Iron
Titleist T100 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

I did noticed a difference that is for sure. I ended up with the neutral weight simply because the draw was fine most of the time. My usual ball flight is a little cut and the draw weighting did seem to even that out a little. That said, I am prone to the occasional snap hook and the weighting didn't help with that and the snap hook was a lot more damaging for me than something over cutting a little and missing the fairway. Definitely worth experimenting though.

Also, if you get a chance take a look at this TS thread on the Tour Equipment forum - http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1560

Sampga has given the best description of how to use the adjustability on Titleist drivers that I have ever seen. It is obviously in relation to the TS3 but it is still applicable to the 917D2 and D3.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Also, if you get a chance take a look at this TS thread on the Tour Equipment forum - http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1560

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

IN NUT SHELL...

Use the Sure Fit weights (draw/fade settings) to match up your "consistent" off center strikes. I have a tendency for face impacts to be in the heal so I keep my SF weight on DRAW. This moved the CG slightly towards the heal for better ball speeds which matches my consistent face contact. Just the opposite if you have a tendency to mis the driver face towards the tow, move SF weight to fade. As you move the CG in the head you are actually changing the Gear Effect on off center strikes. Many players that fight hooks (RH golfer) will place the CG weight in the fade setting, but what they are actually doing is decreasing their transfer of energy (smash factor) and introducing left to right gear effect. NEVER utilize the SF weights to battle the shot shape... use the lie of the club to do this. The majority of players will keep CG in the neutral position because there is no consistency on face impact.

If you need help releasing the club and fight shots to the right for RH golfer, set the club's SF hosel to upright lie settings. Likewise if you fight the ball moving left, set the club on a flatter lie setting.

TSi3 9º - UST LinQ M40 Black 6F5     TSi2 15º - UST LinQ M40 Black 7F5     818 H2 19º - UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 & T100s #5-P,W     SM8 Tour Chrome 54.12D @ 53º, 58.12D - Project X 6.5
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide ArmLock @ 42” - SuperStroke Tour 17"

2021-Titleist-Pro-V1-ball-web.jpeg.94c4b7ef2a2490509c3b94edf68cfb7e.jpeg