Looking for hidden gems for a cross Canada road trip!

gentles

Next year we're planning to take a few months off work after finishing up our posting here in Canada to explore the country before heading back home to New Zealand. Our plan is to head from Ottawa out to Nova Scotia (going down to NY for the PGA in May and up the east coast), and then back across Canada through the provinces by the border, culminating in Vancouver where we will fly from.

We will be on the road for 3-4 months, and the plan is to basically live out our car with the occasional airBNB stop to do laundry etc.

To get through the long harsh winter I'm compiling a list of courses I want to try play on the way...I've been researching the Top 100 list in Canada for ideas and there are some obvious ones i'll try to get to, but money is an issue as we won't be working, and I also love finding courses that others might not know about.

So...hit me with your best suggestions for courses that are either exceptional value and/or hidden gems that not many talk about. Even better if they have a good deals for twilight rates and weekday specials!

If you're a member at a course that may be in our path, let me know and we can meet up!

This list is my starting point: https://globalnews.ca/news/1369777/10-top-golf-courses-in-canada-for-around-50/

Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you make it through Alberta, I would have a few I would certainly suggest. Hidden gems I love include:

• Northern Alberta: Barrhead, Westlock, Athabasca
  • Edmonton to Calgary: Wolf Creek, Sundre, Innisfail, Alberta Springs, D'arcy Ranch
  • Southern Alberta: I haven't played many, but we did a stay and play at Paradise Canyon in Lethbridge, and the course was awesome

Then you have the Alberta / BC rockies where the courses are probably pretty obvious: Banff, Jasper, Canmore courses (Stewart Creek, Kananaskis, Silvertip), Invermere courses (Greywolf, Eagle Ranch, Copper Point, etc.)

If you end up going through Kamloops, BC you have to play Tobiano. It is absolutely amazing and one of my all time favorites. There are numerous options once you get into the BC side of the mountains. Kelowna / Vernon alone would probably have 10 options.

Sorry, I haven't spent much time in Eastern Canada, but I would love to get out there and play the Cabot, Crowbush course. That would be pretty awesome too.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

If you can add Whistler/pemberton to the list definitely do it. I personally like big sky the best out of the courses up there but they are all great.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

Since you’re looking for some hidden gems, here’re mine!

1. NS - Digby Pines. Beautiful little course in Nova Scotia, and very affordable. Stanley Thompson design.

2. QC - Manoir Richelieu. Eastern Quebec course with incredible views and a spectacular location. Quirky 27 holes, and very enjoyable. Google some photos and you’ll want to play it!

3. QC - Le Falcon - just outside Montreal. Fantastic 18 holes. I know there is a member on these boards at neighbouring private Whitlock, but Le Falcon is my favourite public course near to Montreal.

4. QC - CGIM Ireland course. True links course in Montreal.

5. AB - Sundre is always my pick as the best hidden gem in the province. But it gets a lot of love here deservedly.

6. BC - Kokanee Springs. Kootenays are beautiful! You’ll get a ton of recs for various courses in BC, all great, but this one is often overlooked and a really great track.

7. BC - Storey Creek on Vancouver Island. This is such an incredible hidden gem that I’m loathe to even mention it. Just an incredible course in every way possible, and very affordable.

I only know a few courses in ON, and a few more elsewhere in Canada. If you chose just two from my list - Manoir Richelieu and Storey Creek. Both affordable and spectacular courses off the beaten path.

When you are coming through British Columbia consider Salmon Arm Golf Club. IMO it's one of the most underrated courses in the province. I don't remember what green fees are but I seem to recall that they are under $100.

https://salmonarmgolf.ca/

While not a "hiddem gem" you should also consider Tobiano near Kamloops as well. It's a tough layout but very scenic. I think you can play twilight for around $80.

https://www.tobianogolf.com/

In Vancouver, the best golf is private although you can try University Golf Club if you want to play something in the city. The best of the public courses in Greater Vancouver like Northview (the PGA Tour played a tournament on the Ridge course for a few years there in the 90s) and Morgan Creek will be in excess of $100 in the middle of summer.

If you do go to Vancouver Island, Highland Pacific in Victoria is a fun track that is relatively inexpensive.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

When you are coming through British Columbia consider Salmon Arm Golf Club. IMO it's one of the most underrated courses in the province. I don't remember what green fees are but I seem to recall that they are under $100.

While not a "hiddem gem" you should also consider Tobiano near Kamloops as well. It's a tough layout but very scenic. I think you can play twilight for around $80.

In Vancouver, the best golf is private although you can try University Golf Club if you want to play something in the city. The best of the public courses in Greater Vancouver like Northview (the PGA Tour played a tournament on the Ridge course for a few years there in the 90s) and Morgan Creek will be in excess of $100 in the middle of summer.

If you do go to Vancouver Island, Highland Pacific in Victoria is a fun track that is relatively inexpensive.

I'd say highland pacific is the definition of a hidden gem. Had a trip over to victoria this summer and I guarentee I will be playing that course again next summer. Very fun and great price considering the quality of the course.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

I'd say highland pacific is the definition of a hidden gem. Had a trip over to victoria this summer and I guarentee I will be playing that course again next summer. Very fun and great price considering the quality of the course.

I remember the first time I went there...the range is impressive and so is the laundromat which is 20 steps away from the top tee deck! It's a bit of a strange operation but both the Highland and Pacific nines have some good holes. I play it anytime I have my clubs with me in Victoria.

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

Would definitely try and fit in Salmon Arm - dead easy to get to on a typical E to W route and would definitely fit in one or both of Banff Springs/Jasper. Obviously not hidden, but would be tough to pass up as part of a x-Canada trip.

Once you come out of the mountains and hit Hope, get off Hwy 1 and take the Fraser Hwy into Vancouver. Slower for sure, but much more scenic. It also enables you to stop and play at Sandpiper GC. I think it's an awesome example of PNW golf in a really cool setting and way better value than anything PNW-like closer to the city or up in Whistler.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

This sounds like an awesome way to spend a summer exploring some of the lesser known areas/golf course of Canada!

Depending on what route you plan on taking through Manitoba and Saskatchewan there are definitely some quality under the radar tracks to hit up along the way. My recommendations would be the following:

- Clear Lake Golf Course - I've personally never played it myself, but it's a Stanley Thompson design that I've heard is very similar to Waskesiu.

- Deer Park Golf Course - Depending what your pace of travel is, Deer Park in Yorkton would be a good stop on the way to Saskatoon. The last couple years hot deal tee times have been available from Golf Now here for around $30.

- Dakota Dunes - Dakota Dunes is a must play if you're looking for value golf across Canada. The value is well documented and my only complaint is the combination of bunkering styles throughout the course. Not a lot of real trouble to get in on the course and usually makes for an extremely fun round. The wind always seems to blow out there too.

- Cooke Municipal - Cooke usually has great deals available in the afternoon on weekends throughout the summer. I think this year they featured 18 holes with cart plus a burger and beer for $69. I think this course is one of Saskatchewan's best and would highly recommend making a stop on the way up to Waskesiu if you're heading up that way.

- Waskesiu - An extremely fun Stanley Thompson layout that places emphasis on position over length. Seeing wildlife on the course during a round is almost a guarantee. Definitely a track deserving of its place on a best value list. I think hot deal tee times have been available here on Golf Now in recent years for around $40 riding, but they seem to sell pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

When you head West are you driving thru the States at all? I would go thru Sarnia and play a whack of course in Northern Michigan peninsula as you head north

In NS you have to play Cabot Cliffs ... no a hidden gem but #1 in the country

You have to do Kananaskis in AB ... both tracks

Def. get north of Van and play some Whistler tracks when you get to the left coast

When you go thru QC I would head thru Mt Tremblant - not too far north of Montreal - and play courses there

You should ferry or fly over to NFLD and play the #1 course in the province there .. you need to hit all 10 provinces after all .. Humber Valley Resort .. it is not near St. John's though . .schedule in an iceberg watching boat tour !

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

You should ferry or fly over to NFLD and play the #1 course in the province there .. you need to hit all 10 provinces after all .. Humber Valley Resort .. it is not near St. John's though . .schedule in an iceberg watching boat tour !

I love Humber Valley as much as anyone (I grew up nearby) but you don't want to head to Newfoundland only to play the golf course. I would take a week minimum if you do plan to go over there.

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

• 1 month later...

If you make a stop near Toronto, see if you could play at King's Forest in Hamilton about an hour or two away from Toronto. It's an affordable municipal course and the condition can be a bit dicey at times as with playing time but I absolutely adore the dramatic valley setting of the course near the Niagara escarpment.

Whirlpool in Niagara, Stanley Thompson design. Union in St. Thomas then Roseland in Windsor, a lovely Ross muni. You could do the first two or last two on the same day.

I played Whirlpool this fall, really enjoyed it. Royal Niagara was also a really enjoyable course, especially the Iron Works nine. Would love to see that course when conditions are firmer. Will look into Roseland...I want to play Ambassador in that area so may be worth spending a night there.

Depends on what route you are taking. If you take the Transcanada out of Ottawa, you could look at Timberwolf in Sudbury. If you head to Southern Ontario, then you have a gold mine. Then it's just a matter of making a decision.

We'll be going through southern Ontario to spend a couple weeks in Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin...you're right, plenty of choice down that way!

I love Humber Valley as much as anyone (I grew up nearby) but you don't want to head to Newfoundland only to play the golf course. I would take a week minimum if you do plan to go over there.

We're spending 2 weeks in and around NL, Humber Valley is on the list for sure. Any other courses to recommend in Newfoundland? I'm in control of the agenda for that part of the trip so will be easy to sneak a few golf courses in!

This sounds like an awesome way to spend a summer exploring some of the lesser known areas/golf course of Canada!

Depending on what route you plan on taking through Manitoba and Saskatchewan there are definitely some quality under the radar tracks to hit up along the way. My recommendations would be the following:

- Clear Lake Golf Course - I've personally never played it myself, but it's a Stanley Thompson design that I've heard is very similar to Waskesiu.

- Deer Park Golf Course - Depending what your pace of travel is, Deer Park in Yorkton would be a good stop on the way to Saskatoon. The last couple years hot deal tee times have been available from Golf Now here for around $30.

- Dakota Dunes - Dakota Dunes is a must play if you're looking for value golf across Canada. The value is well documented and my only complaint is the combination of bunkering styles throughout the course. Not a lot of real trouble to get in on the course and usually makes for an extremely fun round. The wind always seems to blow out there too.

- Cooke Municipal - Cooke usually has great deals available in the afternoon on weekends throughout the summer. I think this year they featured 18 holes with cart plus a burger and beer for $69. I think this course is one of Saskatchewan's best and would highly recommend making a stop on the way up to Waskesiu if you're heading up that way.

- Waskesiu - An extremely fun Stanley Thompson layout that places emphasis on position over length. Seeing wildlife on the course during a round is almost a guarantee. Definitely a track deserving of its place on a best value list. I think hot deal tee times have been available here on Golf Now in recent years for around $40 riding, but they seem to sell pretty quick.

These are great options, thanks! Will definitely be hitting up GolfNow as I have the luxury of time on my hands. Dakota Dunes was on my list for sure, as well as Waskesiu. I'll add the others to the list.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Planning this trip is making the miserable Ottawa winter every so slightly more bearable.

I'm a bit light on ideas for Manitoba - what are your best recommendations around Winnipeg and on the way to Saskatoon?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some great Manitoba courses named, and here's my thoughts:

First, Quarry oaks from the Global list is fun, but some of the holes on at least 2 of the nines would be considered "tricked up" or ticky tack putt putt holes. I thought a clown's head was going to be on some of them.

Second, Granite Hills up by Lac du Bonnet is unreal, or so I've heard. It's top of my yet to play list. the one thing I did hear was there is a week or so to avoid (not sure when) because of a fly spawn that happens.

Third, depending on how you are getting through Manitoba, going to Clear Lake can be way out of the way, but could be considered well worth it. No course like it in the province. Though the Stanley Thompson claim may be slightly exaggerated, it's a beauty. Also up that way is Gilbert Plains, which has a fun little course.

fourth, Minnewasta, just West of Morden is the best option if you stay south. Manitoba is flat, but Minnewasta isn't. Always in great shape, and if you let me know, I can get you a decent rate!

Enjoy your trip, lucky bastxxx

Titleist 915 D3 9.5* Fujikura Speeder evolution II 661 TS X-stiff
Callaway BB15 14* (set to 16* weight forward) Fujikura Speeder Evolution 665 X-stiff
Callaway Xr 19* Hybrid Proforce V2
Titleist 712U 3+4 (3 with Nunchuk xi, 4 with Recoil Prototype 125)
Cobra King forged CB/MB 5-pw (KBS C-taper S+)
Cobra Tour Trusty 52* KBS hi Rev X
Cleveland RTx 3 56* Project x Lz 6.0
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 KBS 610 2.0

Scotty Cameron Studio select Squareback no1. SNSR contour grip
35.5*

Depends on what route you are taking. If you take the Transcanada out of Ottawa, you could look at Timberwolf in Sudbury. If you head to Southern Ontario, then you have a gold mine. Then it's just a matter of making a decision.

We'll be going through southern Ontario to spend a couple weeks in Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin...you're right, plenty of choice down that way!

If you're coming through this area you have to play Tarandowah which is about 20 minutes east of London, just south of the 401. It's an incredibly fun inland links course designed by Martin Hawtree who is the primary architecture consultant for St. Andrews. It's really affordable too, great weekday twilight rates. It's a tough test because of all of the pot bunkers, but it's a beautiful course and a ton of fun.

If you're going to Eastern Canada (the Maritimes) through highway 132 in Quebec instead of the TransCanada highway, I'd suggest stopping by the Club de Golf du Bic (about 20 minutes before getting to Rimouski), breathtaking views of the bay and the St.Lawrence river, and one of the best-looking courses east of Quebec City.

Thanks to all for great suggestions - I made a list (long winter) of potential stops on our travels - chosen based on our travel plans (not just a golf trip!), value and how long we are staying in the area for. Don't think i'll get to hit all of these but at least I have a plan!

I would add Crowbush in PEI, best course on the island. Also when you are at Cabot, I would play the Links also.

Saratoga National is nice but just avoid race season since they jack the rates up. The other course nearby which could be a contender is a Donald Ross course at The Sagamore in Lake George. My in-laws live in the area so I end up playing a lot of golf at Hiland Park which is a great value and fun course. Down on the Cape you picked out two good courses as I personally loved Highland Links for what it is. The Ledges is still on my list of course to play but if that doesn't work out then I highly recommend Portsmouth CC, which is a really fun course.

Thanks to all for great suggestions - I made a list (long winter) of potential stops on our travels - chosen based on our travel plans (not just a golf trip!), value and how long we are staying in the area for. Don't think i'll get to hit all of these but at least I have a plan!

I would add Crowbush in PEI, best course on the island. Also when you are at Cabot, I would play the Links also.

Should say Crowbush instead of Cavendish. Only have a single afternoon at Cabot before heading over to Newfoundland, plans might change but I don't think i'll be able to swing two rounds there (notwithstanding the price tag!)

Saratoga National is nice but just avoid race season since they jack the rates up. The other course nearby which could be a contender is a Donald Ross course at The Sagamore in Lake George. My in-laws live in the area so I end up playing a lot of golf at Hiland Park which is a great value and fun course. Down on the Cape you picked out two good courses as I personally loved Highland Links for what it is. The Ledges is still on my list of course to play but if that doesn't work out then I highly recommend Portsmouth CC, which is a really fun course.

Saratoga is a quick stopover on our way to NYC for the PGA Championship...might end up just finding somewhere cheap to play instead. Early season rates will help! Will check out Sagamore in Lake George.

Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...

If you're taking the 401 past Ottawa I would suggest looking at Equinelle and Smuggler's Glen. Equinelle is just north of the 401 and is always in great condition. I haven't made it out to Smuggler's Glen yet but I hear nothing but great things about it. Itis just south of the 401 near 1000 islands.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x