Softest, most forgiving players cavity iron?

moorebaseball

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think people are walking away from golf at any greater of a rate than anytime after the tiger era. I think the game continues to struggle with things it has always struggled with. It's very expensive to play and practice. The hardware is expensive, and the length of time you must commit to play is quite a bit.

With that said, I think the actual game is as enjoyable as it's ever been. I think people who love it, still love it. The key will be the next generation, and IMO the PGA and others are doing a great job of creating programs to get kids involved (albeit, again, very expensive). But the PGA JR League, First Tee, Operation 36, Drive Chip Putt, etc...

Golf is in good hands, I just wish that practice was cheaper. When just going to the range costs 15 dollars+ to hit sub-par balls in a not so good environment. You have to be really committed for that.

I don't think people are walking away from golf at any greater of a rate than anytime after the tiger era. I think the game continues to struggle with things it has always struggled with. It's very expensive to play and practice. The hardware is expensive, and the length of time you must commit to play is quite a bit.

With that said, I think the actual game is as enjoyable as it's ever been. I think people who love it, still love it. The key will be the next generation, and IMO the PGA and others are doing a great job of creating programs to get kids involved (albeit, again, very expensive). But the PGA JR League, First Tee, Operation 36, Drive Chip Putt, etc...

Golf is in good hands, I just wish that practice was cheaper. When just going to the range costs 15 dollars+ to hit sub-par balls in a not so good environment. You have to be really committed for that.

Wrong place? Keep the irons coming. My list continues to grow!

...............also the cheapest.....

Maxfli Revolution Black

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I have played srixon 745, 765, Jpx 900 tour, Miura mb001, 501cb.

The J15cb is by far the softest and most forgiving iron I have played. The miura’s are equal to the J15s out of the middle of the face but only out of the middle!

J15 (3 sets of em) and 745 were as identical as you can get for me.....being how everything is so subjective....these threads are almost useless imo......you get every iron known mentioned with every users opinions....which would leave me, if I was OP in same place as I started, lol

Next question...

... Told this before but it is apropos. I bought some Apex 99's back when I played MB's and hated them. Very crisp feel that I did not care for. Traded them in on some MP33's I loved. I was at the range and an Asian kid was hitting balls next to me, maybe 20yrs old or so. We both hit 4 irons to a green they just cleared and it was easy to see our balls land on it as they are the only 2. I said nice shot and he replied same to you. He was hitting brand new Apex 99's and I asked him how he liked them. He LOVED them and had just traded in some MP33's because they "felt like mush" and he found the Apex much more responsive and had the perfect feel. I laughed and told him I just traded in my Apex 99's for MP33's because the felt perfect to me and I found them more responsive and the Apex 99's felt harsh. We both got a real kick out of each others opinion and it was a great lesson for me as I just started reviewing clubs. What I think feels perfect and what someone else thunk feels perfect can be the complete opposite because feel is and will always be subjective.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

The softest irons I've ever hit were the Adams CB3 irons. It felt like you were hitting a marshmellow when you hit those things. They were almost too soft. Softest doesn't always equal the best.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

For those who really loved the J15CB, the new '19 Bridgestone CB looks just like the J15 with the addition of the "diamond" weight behind the sweet spot. In theory, this should be something Epic (if you can get past the looks). Bridgestone definitely designs their irons for the JDM market first and foremost and they've got a distinctly different aesthetic ideal than ours. Thankfully, at B-S (Endo), performance seems to trump all other considerations.

The more I look at this club, the more amazed I am that it's so identical to the J15CB. It appears that they altered the existing forging dies...it's that close. If you machined away the diamond, you're looking at a J15CB. At least they're listening to their customers. It's pretty clear that everyone loved that club. They obviously can't just re-release it so they threw in a slug of weight behind the sweet spot, and called it a day. If you don't mind the looks, you've got a new improved J15 in the same package.

I have no interest for any new clubs for 2019. However if the 2019 B'Stone Tour B X-CB irons are released in a left hand model my interest might be piqued. I currently play the J15 CB irons.

Softest feel + Max forgiveness + "player's profile" + Tour proven = Ping i210

Nothing beats the feel of a true MB blade. Once you scoop the mass out from behind the sweetspot to create the cavity you lose the pure/soft feel of a true MB iron regardless of whether it's cast or forged. That's why even Mizuno uses multi-material badges behind the sweetspot in their cavity back offerings...to improve feel/sound and to dampen vibration.

Ping has mastered this with the i210 and the latest elastomer in the custom tuning port.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have played srixon 745, 765, Jpx 900 tour, Miura mb001, 501cb.

The J15cb is by far the softest and most forgiving iron I have played. The miura’s are equal to the J15s out of the middle of the face but only out of the middle!

J15 (3 sets of em) and 745 were as identical as you can get for me.....being how everything is so subjective....these threads are almost useless imo......you get every iron known mentioned with every users opinions....which would leave me, if I was OP in same place as I started, lol

Yeah but it’s fun

For those who really loved the J15CB, the new '19 Bridgestone CB looks just like the J15 with the addition of the "diamond" weight behind the sweet spot. In theory, this should be something Epic (if you can get past the looks). Bridgestone definitely designs their irons for the JDM market first and foremost and they've got a distinctly different aesthetic ideal than ours. Thankfully, at B-S (Endo), performance seems to trump all other considerations.

The more I look at this club, the more amazed I am that it's so identical to the J15CB. It appears that they altered the existing forging dies...it's that close. If you machined away the diamond, you're looking at a J15CB. At least they're listening to their customers. It's pretty clear that everyone loved that club. They obviously can't just re-release it so they threw in a slug of weight behind the sweet spot, and called it a day. If you don't mind the looks, you've got a new improved J15 in the same package.

I have no interest for any new clubs for 2019. However if the 2019 B'Stone Tour B X-CB irons are released in a left hand model my interest might be piqued. I currently play the J15 CB irons.

Apparently, for 2019 they're only making them in RH. I'm guessing that they didn't sell enough of the last model in LH to justify them again. On the other hand, they really didn't try very hard to sell the clubs regardless of orientation, at least in the US.

This was a year of iron testing madness for me... played and loved the Callaway 2013 X Forged for years after I put my Mizuno MP-32's away for an extended rest. Then....

• Tried the TM P790's.. forgiving , high and long but too bulky to look at. Couldn't get comfortable with the shorter irons in particular. Sold them off and kept the 4 iron.
  • Next.. the Mizuno MP-18 blades and the MP-18 SC's. Both sets! These are the real deal and will probably end up with a mixed bag of them next year.
  • Finally.. the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged - High launch, soft & forgiving but again finding them too bulky looking for myself personally. Will probably sell them.

Toss up for softest between the Mizuno's and the X-Forged.

This was a year of iron testing madness for me... played and loved the Callaway 2013 X Forged for years after I put my Mizuno MP-32's away for an extended rest. Then....

• Tried the TM P790's.. forgiving , high and long but too bulky to look at. Couldn't get comfortable with the shorter irons in particular. Sold them off and kept the 4 iron.
  • Next.. the Mizuno MP-18 blades and the MP-18 SC's. Both sets! These are the real deal and will probably end up with a mixed bag of them next year.
  • Finally.. the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged - High launch, soft & forgiving but again finding them too bulky looking for myself personally. Will probably sell them.

Toss up for softest between the Mizuno's and the X-Forged.

The Mizuno MP18 SC have my eye as well as the new KKs coming out. These are just so sexy. I wonder how these will compare to the MP18 SC? http://kyoeigolfclubs.com/products/

Obligatory mention of maxfli revolution black dots

Forged feel with a nickel coated casting

Or Maxfli A-10's. Same material and construction.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

If I were in the market for a new set of irons, it would be the Tour B X-CB. With all the weight behind the sweetspot, thy feel amazing on flushed contact. There is more vibration on toe or heel strikes, but the shot doesn't seem to be punished more than the same strike from my AP2's. The beefy soles also make thin shots turn out well.

But man, that feeling on flushed shots can't be beat.

tourb-xcb-head.png

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

If I were in the market for a new set of irons, it would be the Tour B X-CB. With all the weight behind the sweetspot, thy feel amazing on flushed contact. There is more vibration on toe or heel strikes, but the shot doesn't seem to be punished more than the same strike from my AP2's. The beefy soles also make thin shots turn out well.

tourb-xcb-head.png

Man, that's like having a ball peen hammer behind the sweetspot! Gotta feel awesome when flushed

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

tourb-xcb-head.png

These are definitely on my list! These are much cheaper price wise compared to the other irons I am looking at as well, which is always appealing.

I've owned many of the irons listed and a few are at the top of my list.

In alphabetical order and ranking as (1) Very; (2) Middle; or (3) Less forgiving:

Adams CMB - Amazing feel. Less forgiving.

Ben Hogan Ptx - Good Feel. Very forgiving. *My current irons.

Bridgestone J15cb - Very soft, good feel. Middle forgiving.

Callaway X-Forged (2013) - Amazing feel. Less forgiving.

Mizuno MP-5 - Amazing feel. Less forgiving.

I've owned many of the irons listed and a few are at the top of my list.

In alphabetical order and ranking as (1) Very; (2) Middle; or (3) Less forgiving:

Adams CMB - Amazing feel. Less forgiving.

Ben Hogan Ptx - Good Feel. Very forgiving. *My current irons.

Bridgestone J15cb - Very soft, good feel. Middle forgiving.

Callaway X-Forged (2013) - Amazing feel. Less forgiving.

Mizuno MP-5 - Amazing feel. Less forgiving.

The Hogans keep coming up in conversation. I may have to give these a demo. They are a good looking iron for sure!

Saying "most forgiving player's cavity back" is kind of like saying "B Flight Champion" at the Club. It's the guy that sucked the least relative to his handicap that weekend. If it's too forgiving, it's game improvement, not player's. Consequently, you're going to get a lot of different answers here.

However, I know what you mean. The Maxfli Black Dots were the softest iron ever made. They were very forgiving due to the long blade. The best iron made in the last 10 years IMO, was the Cleveland 588 CB. Classic shape, ENDO forged, not a scrap of plastic on them anywhere. Much more forgiving than they look. And they look serious. I thought I saw some heads on the Swap Shop here for $150. That's a steal.

If you need more, Ping i-series.

Just went to GG yesterday to do this test. THey did not have the Srixon which sucked as I used to play the 945's. I narrowed it down to the AP2, CB and I210. The good thing was that I was tired by the time I got to this point so my strike suffered a little and the forgiveness became evident. The CB dropped off and then the I210 leaving me going home with a new set of AP2's. I would lose 5 yards on semi-mishits where it was closer to 10 with the CB. Results may vary but that's what it was for me on that particular day.

Irons I tried:

TM P760

AP2

CB

I210

MP-18MMC

900 forged

MP18-SC

apex pro forged

x forged

Just went to GG yesterday to do this test. THey did not have the Srixon which sucked as I used to play the 945's. I narrowed it down to the AP2, CB and I210. The good thing was that I was tired by the time I got to this point so my strike suffered a little and the forgiveness became evident. The CB dropped off and then the I210 leaving me going home with a new set of AP2's. I would lose 5 yards on semi-mishits where it was closer to 10 with the CB. Results may vary but that's what it was for me on that particular day.

Irons I tried:

TM P760

AP2

CB

I210

MP-18MMC

900 forged

MP18-SC

apex pro forged

x forged

I will be hitting all of them.