Softest, most forgiving players cavity iron?

moorebaseball

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking all time, the Cobra SS Forged is it. Rumored to have been forged by Miura and I wouldn't doubt it. Still the best irons I've ever owned.

post-78087-0-38375000-1338598829_thumb.jpg

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Add p770 to the list. I never thought I would be considering buying a TM iron, but they're worth a look. My list...

SC18,Z765,900T,P770,X Forged

I own the p770 KBS Stiff and 919 Forged PX LZ 6.0 irons. Without a doubt the 919 Forged are more forgiving and give better ball speed on off center hits. The 770's feel softer but that may be the shafts.

I don't know about the softest forged players cavity back, but I can say with absolute certainty that I have yet to hit a cast players club softer than my Fourteen PC555's. My buddy has a set of Miura PP straight necks and he said that mine literally felt no different than his, which I believe are an Endo Forging. Just beware, The stock length and loft of them are rather ridiculous lol.. but softer than soft. And yet, cast.

Next question...

... Told this before but it is apropos. I bought some Apex 99's back when I played MB's and hated them. Very crisp feel that I did not care for. Traded them in on some MP33's I loved. I was at the range and an Asian kid was hitting balls next to me, maybe 20yrs old or so. We both hit 4 irons to a green they just cleared and it was easy to see our balls land on it as they are the only 2. I said nice shot and he replied same to you. He was hitting brand new Apex 99's and I asked him how he liked them. He LOVED them and had just traded in some MP33's because they "felt like mush" and he found the Apex much more responsive and had the perfect feel. I laughed and told him I just traded in my Apex 99's for MP33's because the felt perfect to me and I found them more responsive and the Apex 99's felt harsh. We both got a real kick out of each others opinion and it was a great lesson for me as I just started reviewing clubs. What I think feels perfect and what someone else thunk feels perfect can be the complete opposite because feel is and will always be subjective.

this is so true, and even the same person can have different feels. I've had some pretty crappy infections coupled with elbow and wrist injuries and the feel I have now is not the same as I used to have. I have much less feeling in my hands than 20 years ago!

The title says it all. I want to hear different peoples opinions. I am going to get fitted for these irons: Mizuno MP18 SC, Titleist 718 AP2, Srixon Z785, and Taylormade P760. What are your thoughts on these irons, and Do you have any others you would recommend? Thanks!

I have a set of cb from a small jdm company (royal collection). Incredible irons - great feeling and very forgiving. Maybe the best players cb I ever played. But hardly known - I got them because a friend had them and sold them to me. I had never really heard of them.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

The title says it all. I want to hear different peoples opinions. I am going to get fitted for these irons: Mizuno MP18 SC, Titleist 718 AP2, Srixon Z785, and Taylormade P760. What are your thoughts on these irons, and Do you have any others you would recommend? Thanks!

I have a set of cb from a small jdm company (royal collection). Incredible irons - great feeling and very forgiving. Maybe the best players cb I ever played. But hardly known - I got them because a friend had them and sold them to me. I had never really heard of them.

Everyone loves the JDM irons for the feel. I will be hitting some Epons today during my fitting. I cannot wait!

Which Royal Collection irons are they?

BBD V7. Simply the best feel in any iron I have played. Solid at impact but still soft. Incredible. I have played them all - Miura baby blades, Apex raw, Epon, etc, etc. This is the best of the bunch. I bought them used for a song.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

BBD V7. Simply the best feel in any iron I have played. Solid at impact but still soft. Incredible. I have played them all - Miura baby blades, Apex raw, Epon, etc, etc. This is the best of the bunch. I bought them used for a song.

I like the V6's and they are so cheap, I have a bottle of wine ready and PayPal, could be a fun night on Rakuten

The latest Muira CB-1008 looks really sweet. Has anybody hit them?

I hit them yesterday, and I must say I was not super impressed. The Epon Tours were miles ahead in the "feel" department to me. In fact, the Srixon 785s were better in feel to me as well.

I play them and absolutely love them. Miura are a solid/dense feel which I love.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I hit them yesterday, and I must say I was not super impressed. The Epon Tours were miles ahead in the "feel" department to me. In fact, the Srixon 785s were better in feel to me as well.

I play them and absolutely love them. Miura are a solid/dense feel which I love.

Different strokes for different folks for sure. Now the Miura MC-501s are super soft and very nice! These are still in consideration for sure!

Different strokes for different folks for sure. Now the Miura MC-501s are super soft and very nice! These are still in consideration for sure!

IMO The mc501 feel very similar. Same forging, very simillar head size and sole design. Are you talking about the regular 501 or the raw? The raw may be much softer.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I like the V6's and they are so cheap, I have a bottle of wine ready and PayPal, could be a fun night on Rakuten

Haha. Sounds like you're primed for the hunt. Enjoy...

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

IMO The mc501 feel very similar. Same forging, very simillar head size and sole design. Are you talking about the regular 501 or the raw? The raw may be much softer.

I felt a different feel from these. They were the regular not raw. I am sure the raw would feel even better!

Wilson Staff fg tour v2. Or Adams CB2 anyone that says otherwise has never tried those or is a brand snob.

yeah, good call...

temporary Asian bag now has Wilson/Staff FG Tour M3s... but the main bag has the Adams CB2s. And I will never sell them.

If nothing else, they will serve as the backups as I flirt with other womirons.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Just went to GG yesterday to do this test. THey did not have the Srixon which sucked as I used to play the 945's. I narrowed it down to the AP2, CB and I210. The good thing was that I was tired by the time I got to this point so my strike suffered a little and the forgiveness became evident. The CB dropped off and then the I210 leaving me going home with a new set of AP2's. I would lose 5 yards on semi-mishits where it was closer to 10 with the CB. Results may vary but that's what it was for me on that particular day.

Irons I tried:

TM P760

AP2

CB

I210

MP-18MMC

900 forged

MP18-SC

apex pro forged

x forged

Surprised that you found the Ap2 more forgiving than i210. Opposite for me.

you see RCs here in Philippines some, but definitely in Singapore and Hong Kong. ALL OVER Hong Kong.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

If you're talking all time, the Cobra SS Forged is it. Rumored to have been forged by Miura and I wouldn't doubt it. Still the best irons I've ever owned.

... I have had several sets that in retrospect I wish I had never sold them. My Cobra Forged SS and Tour Stage Z101's would be at the top that list.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

... I have had several sets that in retrospect I wish I had never sold them. My Cobra Forged SS and Tour Stage Z101's would be at the top that list.

Pretty sweet list you have there Chisag. I was admiring my Tour Stage Z101 4 iron recently, the rest of the set is at my club builder's waiting on some shafts. He keeps asking me to decide what shaft I want in them. The 4 iron looks so damn impressive with it's tungsten insert in the back of the club head, relatively low off set and thin top line. I was wondering why guy's weren't shouting from the rooftops on the Z101's attributes. Many years have come and gone since there release, that will explain why these Endo forged beauties have been relegated to the must have classic iron department. I came across a 2003 review from Fairway Fred on the Z101's, one of the best reviews on any iron I have ever read. Well done FF.

The TourStage rep came into the store today with a bag full of TourStage clubs. He had the whole 3-PW set of Z101s, a 52* Z wedge and Z140 14* 3 wood. First off, he said that all the Japaneese forgings and the Z101s are all made by Endo. They are made using the exact same forging process. The shiny chrome on the Z101s and the satin chrome of the Japaneese irons are done the exact same way they are just finished a little differently to get the different look. According to him they cut no corners at all on these clubs, they are made right alongside the Japaneese line. They know that they need to lower the pricepoint to be able to compete in the US. They are going to try to keep the price the same as the also Endo made Titleist forged line. He said they are the same exact clubs Kucher is playing just stamped differently. He also said that Matt Kucher is the only tour pro still using the J340, everyone else has switched to the Z350 and Z375. He has not gotten his drivers yet but said that all the production clubs should have square faces. I ran out to my car to grab my MR-23s for a comparison. They Z101s are not as clean looking as the 23s (most irons arent) I could do without the satin stripe on the 6-PW but thats my only complain. It is alot better than the premium forged stamp on the X-Blades but also seems unnessasary. They do look VERY good. At address the Z101 has a little bit more offset all the way through the set than the 23s and has a little bit thicker topline. They are also a little bit bigger. They are pretty much the same length top to bottom but are a little longer heel to toe. They definetly look slightly bigger at address. They dont have that taller, shorter kinda stubby look that I love on the 23s, they are shaped a little more like a normal blade or very clean players CB. They both setup great although I prefer the totally blade like look of the 23s and I like the shape better. The Z101s look excellent at address though, very clean. There is more weight low in the head of the Z101 and the 23s have more mass in the heel. The grind on the toe of the Z101 is a little more round and looks very good. The 23s sole is a little more narrow and less cambered. The Z101 sole is actually a touch thicker in the center and tapers off slightly to the heel and toe. It is VERY subtle although it is noticeable if you look very close. I took the whole set out to the range for some quality time. As a wonderful coincidence, the Z101s came in at the exact same specs as my 23s except for the Z101s had S300 and my 23s have S400 softstepped. The Z101s feel awesome. My 23s are a tiny bit more solid and muted on mishits than the Z101s but I can attribute that to the dowel rods that were inserted in the shafts during blueprinting. On pure hits they felt almost exactly the same. I am convinced that with the same treatment the Z101s would feel exactly the same as my MR-23s. Very soft and solid. I was impressed. They were very forgiving for a players club, definetly more forgiving than my 23s. The Z101s trajectory is definetly higher than the 23s. The long irons look great and are very easy to hit. The trajectory is pretty high but there was no ballooning at all. The transition from the tungsten weighted 5 iron to the non tungsten 6 iron is very good. The 6 iron also has a nice high trajectory. It seemed like starting with the 7 iron the center of gravity started to get higher. The trajectory of the short irons is a lot closer to my 23s. They can be worked high or low, knockdown shots were very good. They seemed pretty workable, not as much so as the 23s but pretty good. They seemed to like to go straight as a default which is not nessasarily a bad thing. They are not quite the players club that the MR23s are but are pretty close and are more forgiving and easier to play for the average good player. Overall I was very impressed. I was very impressed with the look at address and the performance. Although they aren’t as bladelike as the 23s they look VERY good. The back could be a little cleaner looking, it was jazzed up a bit for the US market for sure. I would like them a little cleaner but I think that of just about every club I see. I love the very minimal stamping of the 23s. IMO it is definetly the best looking forged CBs on the US market, much better than the 690CB and better than the great looking MP30. They also feel very good, IMO better than any other US market forged CB and very close to my doweled, blueprinted MR-23s. They are more forgiving and playable for everyone than my MR23s which are more bladelike. A few people that worked at the store said they are the most forgiving players club that we had. They look very good and I would not say that about most other clubs that fit into that category. I will not be switching because I love the look of my 23s and don’t mind the slightly more bladelike playability. That being said, anyone who is worried about the 23s being a little too much club but don’t want to sacrifice much in the looks department will love these clubs. Will they sell for MSRP $899 in the USA? I think they will as TourStage gets more US brand recognition on tour but we will see. The availability is going to be very limited at first anyways, they will have no problem selling all their sets at the beginning. They are definetly rooting hard for Stuart Appleby and Matt Kucher to help build brand recognition.