2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping Blueprint forged irons- New photos added page 27

These will be too expensive and not very durable. My S55’s remain safe in my bag. I will kiss them goodnight and thank them for their diligent work.

Too expensive compared to what? We literally don’t know a price point yet. And where did you get your info on durability? Seems a bit premature, but that may be how you roll. ��

Oh boy, shots fired...

I see what you did there.

I'm in for 8-PW.

PTM, while I agree with most of your above post, I think your reasoning for high pricing is off. A one piece forged head (if that's what the Blueprint is) should be substantially less expensive to manufacture than a two piece cast/forged head as the i500. You have the casting, forging, and welding of the two together. That isn't cheap or easy. I see these coming in the same, or ever so slightly higher than the i500's. Definitely under $200 a club.

The manufacturing costs, yes, possibly. In theory there are more steps in the i500 as you describe than a traditional forged blade. One thing that does have to be factored in to setting the retail price of a good (in this case irons) is how many units you forecast to sell. Manufacturing costs and desired profit has to be divided by the expected number of sets sold to set the retail price. PING most certainly knows they will sell FAR less of these (if they come to market) than the i500s, or virtually any other set they make. So, because of that, the retail price could also be MUCH higher than the i500s.

I can't stop thinking about these stupid clubs.

The fact that Glide Forged did make it to retail bodes well for Blueprint. There was no reason for them to make a forged blade wedge available to the masses...just like there's no reason for them to make a forged blade iron available to the masses. The price tag of $200 per club on Glide Forged is (to me) where you can expect Blueprint if it does come out...$1600 for a set of eight irons puts them above what the other big OEMs are charging for forged blades.

As far as durability is concerned...they'll be as durable as Glide Forged wedges. The hydropearl finish on my iBlades has held up beautifully since I got them in August of 2016. No major damage at all...just bag chatter and such. If chatter and a light marring is what we consider an iron "wearing down," then I guess my iBlades have already worn down.

All forgings are going to be susceptible to dings and wear...I grazed a flat rock on the range with a Titleist 712 MB that put the weirdest ding in the leading edge, but I just put it in a clamp and tapped it flat with a hammer (with foil between the hammer and club). Tools not jewels :)

Glide Forged (and Glide 2.0 stealth) uses 8620 carbon...which are alloys and not pure carbon. I'm guessing that's what Blueprint will be. So...maybe a little more durable than buttery soft 1025 or something else.

And may a add what a glorious wedge the glide forged is. I’m only 3 days in but they are super. Lovely shape and soft feel. And the face treatment just frames the ball. Love them. If blueprint is a continuation of these. They will be great.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm not going back and quoting every reply I'm about to answer.

A few Ping Pro's have been showing the clubs on social media and Not allowed because of spam also had a write up on the irons. In the article Not allowed because of spam claimed the blueprint irons are not an iBlade replacement and the blueprint heads are smaller than iBlades.

Disagree that iBlades aren't forgiving

I played s59, s57, s55 and iBlades. Currently gaming '18 x-forged. If the Blueprints are released I'm in for 2 sets.

The fact that Glide Forged did make it to retail bodes well for Blueprint. There was no reason for them to make a forged blade wedge available to the masses...just like there's no reason for them to make a forged blade iron available to the masses. The price tag of $200 per club on Glide Forged is (to me) where you can expect Blueprint if it does come out...$1600 for a set of eight irons puts them above what the other big OEMs are charging for forged blades.

As far as durability is concerned...they'll be as durable as Glide Forged wedges. The hydropearl finish on my iBlades has held up beautifully since I got them in August of 2016. No major damage at all...just bag chatter and such. If chatter and a light marring is what we consider an iron "wearing down," then I guess my iBlades have already worn down.

All forgings are going to be susceptible to dings and wear...I grazed a flat rock on the range with a Titleist 712 MB that put the weirdest ding in the leading edge, but I just put it in a clamp and tapped it flat with a hammer (with foil between the hammer and club). Tools not jewels :)

Glide Forged (and Glide 2.0 stealth) uses 8620 carbon...which are alloys and not pure carbon. I'm guessing that's what Blueprint will be. So...maybe a little more durable than buttery soft 1025 or something else.

And may a add what a glorious wedge the glide forged is. I’m only 3 days in but they are super. Lovely shape and soft feel. And the face treatment just frames the ball. Love them. If blueprint is a continuation of these. They will be great.

I just don’t understand why they made the Glide forged though. Why not a cast 8620 version for $40-50 USD less? Production cost for PING would have been lower and PING would have sold way more (to my knowledge Glide 2.0 and stealth still sells quite better than Glide forged). A single Glide forged wedge in Canada is nearly $300. That’s absurd.

I digress...

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

And may a add what a glorious wedge the glide forged is. I'm only 3 days in but they are super. Lovely shape and soft feel. And the face treatment just frames the ball. Love them. If blueprint is a continuation of these. They will be great.

I just don't understand why they made the Glide forged though. Why not a cast 8620 version for $40-50 USD less? Production cost for PING would have been lower and PING would have sold way more (to my knowledge Glide 2.0 and stealth still sells quite better than Glide forged). A single Glide forged wedge in Canada is nearly $300. That's absurd.

I digress...

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Since when do you know how Ping should run their business. God forbid Ping makes a forged wedge that costs more. It's called choice my friend!

G410 LST 9* Even Flow 75 
G410 LST 14.5* Even Flow 85
G410 19* Even Flow 85
HMB 4-PW SteelFiber 110
T20 50* & T20 54* SteelFiber 125
Bigfoot 60" SteelFiber 125
2 Ball Fang
Z-Star 

And may a add what a glorious wedge the glide forged is. I'm only 3 days in but they are super. Lovely shape and soft feel. And the face treatment just frames the ball. Love them. If blueprint is a continuation of these. They will be great.

I just don't understand why they made the Glide forged though. Why not a cast 8620 version for $40-50 USD less? Production cost for PING would have been lower and PING would have sold way more (to my knowledge Glide 2.0 and stealth still sells quite better than Glide forged). A single Glide forged wedge in Canada is nearly $300. That's absurd.

I digress...

I don't mean to nit-pick, but are you saying you don't understand why PING would make Glide Forged or why they price it the way they price it...or why did they make it in a way that makes it more expensive?

I think the reason it exists is the same reason Blueprint exists...it's a response to tour demands. The reason it's so expensive...maybe the tungsten in the toe makes the forging process a little more difficult/costly ("forging" 8620 is kind of a misnomer, though...it's typically cast to roughly the shape of the head and then heated up and "forged" into final shape before hand finishing).

I think (personally) that pricing it at $200 is ridiculous...it's (to me) the best looking wedge on the market, but there are plenty of wedges just as good at $150. I don't know if customizing it (stamps, colors, etc...) is included in that price point or not...and maybe that's where the extra cost comes from.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

Ping has their own casting plant, and possibly forging plant now. I see the Glide forged wedge as the beginning of many forged offerings from Ping.

And I like it.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I just don’t understand why they made the Glide forged though. Why not a cast 8620 version for $40-50 USD less? Production cost for PING would have been lower and PING would have sold way more (to my knowledge Glide 2.0 and stealth still sells quite better than Glide forged). A single Glide forged wedge in Canada is nearly $300. That’s absurd.

I digress...

I hear ya. But take 2nd swing for instance. Several barely touched examples there for $140 ish ... so they can be had unlike pxg milled or something that stays high even if slightly used.

I’m with you though. Cast with tungsten toe would have been fine from 8620 .... but having previously hit the regular glide. I couldn’t go back after hitting these. Night and day.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Can you explain what “ not allowed because of spam” means in this context ?

When you type the name of that other forum that rhymes with hi golf guy wrx automatically writes that in its place. Pretty hilarious if you ask me ;)

Lol. Did not know that. Wow.

I wouldn’t be afraid of those hipster idiots anyway.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I digress...

I don't mean to nit-pick, but are you saying you don't understand why PING would make Glide Forged or why they price it the way they price it...or why did they make it in a way that makes it more expensive?

I think the reason it exists is the same reason Blueprint exists...it's a response to tour demands. The reason it's so expensive...maybe the tungsten in the toe makes the forging process a little more difficult/costly ("forging" 8620 is kind of a misnomer, though...it's typically cast to roughly the shape of the head and then heated up and "forged" into final shape before hand finishing).

I think (personally) that pricing it at $200 is ridiculous...it's (to me) the best looking wedge on the market, but there are plenty of wedges just as good at $150. I don't know if customizing it (stamps, colors, etc...) is included in that price point or not...and maybe that's where the extra cost comes from.

Nitpicking is good in this instance. Ultimately I just don’t understand why they went the forged route. This wedge would have been just as awesome if it was cast, except it would have been cheaper for the customer. PING just can’t seem to release anything forged for a reasonable price. Imagine a Glide MB instead (same club just cast). It would have been better, in my opinion.

I digress...

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Since when do you know how Ping should run their business. God forbid Ping makes a forged wedge that costs more. It's called choice my friend!

You realize this is an online forum, where people discuss ideas and opinions, right? Also, did I say I know how PING should run their business? I expressed an opinion.

You are a party pooper. People are allowed to be critical and question things. You should also know I’m like the biggest PING fanboy in the world, so I’m not out to criticize for no reason. I love PING and I know they read these boards, so I want them to see member opinions for future development. I don’t want them to just see “I love you PING. I’d trade in my whole family just to touch your clubs”. That doesn’t help them. Opinions do. Which is why they started trying forging in the first place, because customers wanted it.

I digress...

You realize this is an online forum, where people discuss ideas and opinions, right? Also, did I say I know how PING should run their business? I expressed an opinion.

You are a party pooper. People are allowed to be critical and question things. You should also know I'm like the biggest PING fanboy in the world, so I'm not out to criticize for no reason. I love PING and I know they read these boards, so I want them to see member opinions for future development. I don't want them to just see "I love you PING. I'd trade in my whole family just to touch your clubs". That doesn't help them. Opinions do. Which is why they started trying forging in the first place, because customers wanted it.

All good toast, you expressed your opinion and I expressed mine. That's the way it works.

G410 LST 9* Even Flow 75 
G410 LST 14.5* Even Flow 85
G410 19* Even Flow 85
HMB 4-PW SteelFiber 110
T20 50* & T20 54* SteelFiber 125
Bigfoot 60" SteelFiber 125
2 Ball Fang
Z-Star 

I hate when Ping gives us too many choices. :stop:

Seriously, who said this or even implied it?

Not trying to argue. But I do like ping now that choices are in play. I could never look at their irons because of offset and my alignment issues with offset. Then came the i500 in retro lofts. Almost onset. That led to the wedges. Etc. I came from vokey and callaway pm grind so I’m far from a “forged wedge Zealot “. But I do love their simple uncluttered look. No stupid badges or dampener crap on the back etc. and that’s not a jab at only ping. Callaway , titleist , have also made it a habit on irons. Long iron offset and crazy badges.

That’s why I say choices are good. Don’t want to do away with offset or crazy badges. Lol. Just give me a choice to opt out.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm in a weird place here, guys. A conclusion, and my own plans...

First, I think it's a forgone conclusion that Ping are well aware that it's a limited run at best. It has to be... cost will be at least the same as an i500. So therefore, whether it's a LE or not, price will make it a LE out of just flat out reality.

Right now, my aching joints are telling me I need feel more than ever. I've come to a place where I'm not hitting huge bombs anymore, but I never have with irons. I've tried the Glide Forged wedges, and just making good contact is beautiful. It's soft. It's what it should be. I'm adding those wedges this year.

But for short irons, I'm caught between two ideas. One, the possibility of these blueprints is fascinating because I hit my current S55s well, but they hurt me afterwards. The other smooth option is a heavy i500 in short irons. I guess i210 is as well, but they felt odd in a heavy shaft for me.

So the point is that it would be helpful to know if these are the way I expect; smooth and tour heavy. If they are, and they're small faces, I'll probably go 6-P in them. If this is all for the pros and eventually just turns into an elastomer-based iblade2, I'll probably avoid them. But there is most definitely a place within the Ping repertoire for a softer feel.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Do you guys remember when Ping was cool in 1995?

This would be the only Ping iron that has interested me in a long time.

Do you remember when Ping made the best driver, didn’t lie to you with marketing BS, didn’t screw over their vendors, made money and didn’t have to sell the company and lay people off, and had some of the best customer service around? That’s 2019.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Do you guys remember when Ping was cool in 1995?

This would be the only Ping iron that has interested me in a long time.

I remember my first beer.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Your welcome

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

what ever questionable thing i will need to do to get these, i will.

Sell me that Betti for $509 and you’ll have a good start !! Lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My i500 SW @D5 as requested

Your request also just happened to be in the "sweet spot" for the i500. If you'd have requested D2, you'd have been out of luck. They honored your request because that's close to the "stock" SW for the i500. The Blueprints also start at around D5, according to Mr. Solheim, and they'll be very difficult to weight anywhere out of those parameters.

Sell me that Betti for $509 and you’ll have a good start !! Lol

I guess I need to draw the line somewhere lol

You know I was just busting your chops.

That’s a great looking putter. I’ve been fighting temptation since you posted it. Lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Sell me that Betti for $509 and you'll have a good start !! Lol

I guess I need to draw the line somewhere lol

You know I was just busting your chops.

That's a great looking putter. I've been fighting temptation since you posted it. Lol

I'm surprised it hasn't sold.....especially when I was offering two covers instead of one. It's so cheap compared to what they go for on ebay and my pinned listing will be over soon. oh well.

but yeah, i had hoped to use the money from that to buy some irons, i just wish i knew what was going on with these to make a decision

These will be too expensive and not very durable. My S55’s remain safe in my bag. I will kiss them goodnight and thank them for their diligent work.

Too expensive compared to what? We literally don’t know a price point yet. And where did you get your info on durability? Seems a bit premature, but that may be how you roll. ��

Let me make this super clear for you, because you might be new around here and not know about me. I am a genius. Sometimes I contribute to Wikipedia with no references needed because I have such a resounding amount of knowledge and wisdom.

Now that we have that out of the way, I'll use some evidence and reasoning to systematically demolish everything you said.

1. PING offers a forged iron in the i500. It is more expensive than their i210, a cast club, which was released at the same time. Of the major OEM's, the i500 is one of the priciest sets of irons. Remember, the blueprint is forged. This club, at best, will be priced at least as high as the i500. Logic does not point to this set somehow being less than the i500, considering how PING has priced their forged offerings over the last decade and the overall rise in forged iron set costs in the golf industry. There is a precedent set here for PING forged pricing which I'm simply accounting for, along with an industry-wide practice to charge more for forged irons in recent years.

2. PING has released a couple of forged irons in the last 10 years. Both wore down far faster than any of their cast offerings, even the new irons with the hydropearl finish. Which leads me to my next point.

3. This iron will likely have a hydropearl finish, which wears quickly. We then have a forged iron that doesn't have a resilient finish. These add up to an iron that is going to wear faster than any PING cast iron (for example, the current iBlade, which will indisputably have more durability than a forged iron).

4. Fully forged, one piece blades typically wear within a season or two of regular use (bag chatter, brown spots, etc). Why would a solid, one piece forging from PING be any different? Unlike PING's casting process, they have no propriety forging process that allows a pure forged feel as well as enhanced durability.

5. The blueprint iron was designed based on tour players preferences in a forged iron. This leads us to believe that PING will not be forging their blade with 17-4 stainless steel or some other hard metal. They will be using a soft metal, or else the iron is going to sound and feel awful, which tour players do not like with an iron (and judging by player feedback, the tour staff really like this club). There is no CTP structure that exists in this iron and it's not hollow to fill with TPE. The feel and sound will need to come solely from a soft metal.

6. I'm not premature. I last as long as my S55's.

Using assumptions to "demolish everything I said" literally proves my point of being premature. However, that may be a topic you didn't add to Wikipedia, so we may need a recap on what it means. Also, Ping should charge more for these irons than any of their other offerings. I just can't figure out what makes them "too expensive". Unless you've hit them, seen them in person and used them long enough to prove any of your points, you're just assuming and making finalizing statements before you have any evidential facts to prove anything. Again, premature.