Higher lofted drivers - 13.5?

I’m currently thinking about the Rogue.

I like the Epic but if I could have everything it would be higher launch and more off centre forgiveness.

I play my driver at 44.5 inches and plus 2 degrees in the loft. My bad shot is low left. I know that’s me but I’m looking for something that may reduce the negative results of those swings. And here’s why I’m thinking about the Rogue.

So my question is - if I need the plus 2 degrees for the launch, but that closes the face and my bad shot is left, should I instead look at the Rogue in 13.5 cranked down one degree to 12.5 with a neutral to slightly open face?

Anyone else have experience or success with this?

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you believe higher loft drivers , examples 13 degree or higher, actually can reduce the slice or hook error ? I mean, make the ball fly straighter . Thanks people .

I still struggle with the low ball off the tee. And low lefts when I don’t get my body through. The most success I’ve had this far is with the Epic Flash 12* lofted up +2 and the Cobra Speedzone Xtrem

IIRC the Mizuno ST190 10.5HL is actually closer to 12 degrees. With the adapter in the 'HIGH' mode which is +2 it's like 13.8 degrees...almost 14.    

While there is a potential for such concern and that option certainly might be better way to go, unfortunately changes in face angle effect different people in different ways - and some people can effectively ignore it. You wont know where you stand until you try the two options side by side and see how it effects your shot shape.

Thanks Stuart.

Always quick with the info and willing to help. While I’ve got you - any thoughts on the Aldila Synergy Blue 50?

Currently using VS Proto in stiff which I like very much. Just wondering if the lighter Synergy might help with launch

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
TaylorMade TP5

Sorry, no experience with the Synergy line but I wouldn't assume lighter means higher launching and the Synergy Blue 50 in sitff is actually listed as 60 gm uncut, so not really that much lighter than the VS-proto 60 stiff (listed at 63 gm). If you really want to try something lighter, if you like the vs-proto line, I might suggest the Phenom 50 in stiff. And it's hard to say what might happen when you change weight. You might gain a little club head speed but you also might loose a bit of consistency. So while it couldn't hurt to try, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. For increasing launch, you're on the right track with looking for higher loft. If that's not enough, I would suggest playing around with different swing weights (maybe lighter to help an earlier release?) before shaft weight.

Prefer driver

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
TaylorMade TP5

Do you believe higher loft drivers , examples 13 degree or higher, actually can reduce the slice or hook error ? I mean, make the ball fly straighter . Thanks people .

Not sure I'd use the word straighter, might reduce how far offline the ball will go a little bit but not sure I'd expect all that much help until you get to 3wd loft (15*) or more. And the shorter length of the 3wd typically makes that club a bit easier to control for many. But it also depends a bit on a lot of other little things so you never know until you give it a try.

Years ago, I bought a Callaway BBB, for $39.95 at a 2nd Swing, a ladies model, with a gems shaft , and 11.5 degree loft. Never played it much, just bought it for the heck of it. Gamed it a few times this year. It amazed me. Almost the same performance than my R11s and 440 Optiforce, even on the lowest loft settings.

Maybe it's just me, but experimenting with older stuff makes sense.

I think that playing the driver shorter is probably the best way to reduce the curvature, due to a better chance of hitting the middle of the face.

However, as Stuart alluded, playing a driver at 16* (SLDR S 460) has really helped (me) hit it straighter. It is also the most fun club to hit EVER.

I'm currently thinking about the Rogue.

I like the Epic but if I could have everything it would be higher launch and more off centre forgiveness.

I play my driver at 44.5 inches and plus 2 degrees in the loft. My bad shot is low left. I know that's me but I'm looking for something that may reduce the negative results of those swings. And here's why I'm thinking about the Rogue.

So my question is - if I need the plus 2 degrees for the launch, but that closes the face and my bad shot is left, should I instead look at the Rogue in 13.5 cranked down one degree to 12.5 with a neutral to slightly open face?

Anyone else have experience or success with this?

We sound like the same golfer.

Although your cap is much better than mine. I float around a 9-10 cap, slower swinger (avg drive is usually around 225-235). I have an ultra strong grip and deloft big time at impact. I have tried to change my grip but it makes things worse so I just try and adjust the equipment to match me.

I always used a 10.5* but last year got onto Trackman and realized I hit a 12* better. I dabbled with the Callaway drivers over the past 2 seasons. Great Big Bertha 13.5. This one is just too draw biased even with the weight slammed to the toe side.

Then I moved to the Epic 13.5, set to -1. Not a bad stick but the low lefts on a bad swing were punishing. I also play all my drivers at 44.25".

This year I stumbled onto an M3 12*. The M3 is the most neutral to open faced looking driver I have come across. Even in the "higher" loft setting it seems to sit more open than the Epic did in the -1" setting. So at address I like the way it sets up. It does seem to launch the ball higher than the Epic did (same shaft in both). And does seem less draw biased. Might be one to try out.

I did the Globalgolf U-Try it program for $25. I liked it and traded a bunch of clubs in at Galaxy during some trade in bonus days to get the M3.

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w / 11w

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

i picked up a nike sasquatch (not sumo...avoid...) lucky 13, like the one my daughter permanently borrowed long ago, and used it exclusively today. (reg shaft, like my sweet 16) and it was crazy straight, even compared to the ping rapture 12*... when i tried to hit a low draw, it went straight. when i tried to fade, it went maybe 5ft right was all, just barely noticeable...stunningly straight driver when swung at 70%, which is all i can do with a very bad shoulder. it's really strange to say i'm gonna hit it between that bush and the center of the fairway, then proceed to do so! the 12* is my very easy to draw driver, and will use it when appropriate. the 13 will be my main squeeze cuz it's so doggone straight, and within 5yds of the 12*...the 16* is for the tightest of drives, and longer par 3's (it's really a magic wand!) so, i'm bagging 3 drivers! i'm old! longest drive today was 231. most were at 200. best part was i stayed outa trouble. unfortunately, the wind knocked down my approach on the last hole, causing me to double for an 80...the guys i was playing with were bombing their 10.5's, but got in trouble half the time...

A few years ago, I was playing golf with my dad who had a callaway x2 hot driver at 12 degrees and regular or senior flex stock shaft. That driver head was a bomber by the way. My dad said hit it and see what happens. I did and the thing went really high a little right but not bad. I am normally a relatively low ball hitter with the driver. I got down there and was surprised to see that it went as far as my good drives on that hole and a great ball flight. I have always kept that in the back of my mind when thinking about driver loft.

• 1 year later...

Thrilled to find this thread!!
currently using a G5 (yes, a G5!!) 13.5 driver with a soft reg shaft. Had struggled for years to find a driver I could hit consistently- borrowed my sister in laws driver in advance of a scramble at my brothers course- driver was money! Great launch angle and ball flight, and good placement and distance.  Have picked up a spare on an auction site since and it has never left my bag. Absolutely a fan of the 13.5 loft and shaft combo.

I still struggle with the low ball off the tee. And low lefts when I don’t get my body through. The most success I’ve had this far is with the Epic Flash 12* lofted up +2 and the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 12* lofted to +1*/D.  The cobra even with lofting up and in the draw setting it’s still the most neutral to Open faced driver I’ve ever tried. 

Today I played a narrow course and gamed the Flash on the front. Normally it’s point and shoot but I kept snap hooking it. Switched to the Xtreme on the back and hit it higher and straighter. 

another nice launching driver is the Tour Edge EXS 220 12*. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

5 hours ago, Hoodman22 said:

Thrilled to find this thread!!
currently using a G5 (yes, a G5!!) 13.5 driver with a soft reg shaft. Had struggled for years to find a driver I could hit consistently- borrowed my sister in laws driver in advance of a scramble at my brothers course- driver was money! Great launch angle and ball flight, and good placement and distance.  Have picked up a spare on an auction site since and it has never left my bag. Absolutely a fan of the 13.5 loft and shaft combo.

What driver ??

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

I've been playing a 12* 915 D2 for the past couple of seasons and it's been great.  I've tried a few shafts in it and have settled on a GD AD BB.  The combination of the higher launching driver with the low/mid (but still pretty smooth) shaft has been a winner for me.  I'm probably giving up a few yards vs. the TS2 that I bought and sold, but I'm much more consistent with the 915 D2.  I'm waiting for the new Titleist drivers to get announced then I'll hit that and the SIM and see how they compare to what I have.

TM SIM 10.5*, Diamana S Limited 60S

Titleist TS2 16.5*, Diamana LTD S+ Blue 80S

Titleist TS2 21*, Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
Miura CB 801 4-PW, Recoil Proto 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Crescent Neck LH, 34"

Added the taylormade mini driver - sldr version. Replaced my 3 wood. It’s 16 deg and a good 2+ inches shorter than my driver.  Extremely accurate and surprisingly long. I now only hit my regular driver a few times per round. Usually on par fives that I want to reach in two. Since I don’t usually hit my three wood off the deck, it’s not a big sacrifice. Best bag change I have made in years. 

Picked up a Tour Issue 917D2 in 12* for a song off the 'bay earlier this year.

Turned it down to 11.25* and am playing it as a 2W at 44".  I realized I rarely hit my 3W off the deck, so I put the 2W in the bag in its place.

Was playing an Aldila Tour Green 65TS in the 2W.   Now trying out a 15th anniversary Aldila NV 60TX.   My SS is around 105.

Decent swings generate 250+ of carry with a draw, and I've gone over 300 (total distance) with this club.  

My actual driver is a 9.5* TS4 (Diamana 'ahina 60X ion shaft).  

The driver is set up for a fade, and the 2W turns over a tad.  This lets me cut the corner no matter what direction the dogleg is.  

Edited by hagimihale

I was looking for a similar solution for my hooking but couldn't find any 12 degree drivers with an open face in my price range so I cut my 9.5 driver down an inch and put a hybrid hi launch 88 gram X shaft in it so now it launches higher than it did before - and I hit it good and think I can now hit a fade because the shaft is shorter.

Edited by chipa

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater F-35 3h - Heater BMT-3 4h - Acer XV Tour 5-S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

9 hours ago, chipa said:

I was looking for a similar solution for my hooking but couldn't find any 12 degree drivers with an open face in my price range so I cut my 9.5 driver down an inch and put a hybrid hi launch 88 gram X shaft in it so now it launches higher than it did before - and I hit it good and think I can now hit a fade because the shaft is shorter.

So what’s the playing length like 41-42” ?

even with an 88g shaft that has to be like a C1 swingweight. Did you add a bunch of weight to the head ?

sounds like with the longer driver shaft you must have been really slamming the face shut. 

I’m very shaft sensitive. Too flexy And too firm I over rotate and snap hook both. Somewhere in the middle seems to work best for me. I’ve found 58g, mid launch, mid spin seems to be my sweet spot.  

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

1 hour ago, erock9174 said:

So what’s the playing length like 41-42” ?

even with an 88g shaft that has to be like a C1 swingweight. Did you add a bunch of weight to the head ?

sounds like with the longer driver shaft you must have been really slamming the face shut. 

I’m very shaft sensitive. Too flexy And too firm I over rotate and snap hook both. Somewhere in the middle seems to work best for me. I’ve found 58g, mid launch, mid spin seems to be my sweet spot.  

The original shaft was 45.5" and I cut it down to 44.5". To compensate for the length I added 6 grams of lead, so I expect it''s still at D2 or a little more.

I had thought about cutting it down to 43.5 because I was missing it left then decided to build up the grip just a little and it seemed to work.

Also, as far as the shaft weight, imo super lightweight shafts(<60g) are very hard to control. Ever since the graphite shaft came out in the 90's the manufacturer's have been promoting this as a swing fixer, but the reality is none of the thousands of high hc I have played with since then ever had their slice fixed. IMO most high hc have such a death grip they prohibit the hands from turning over. In fact my brother just started playing golf recently and had the same problem and his pro was telling him to "hold the angle" until impact and I told him to "flip" his hands over and we argued on and on until he changed coaches and then he started seeing what I was talking about. Now he has good hand action with his irons and hits the ball straight for once. The driver is still problematic for him and he said he never knows where the clubhead is because it feels so light. I told him to put the same KBS 100 gram shaft in his driver and cut it down to 43.5 and dial the head to 12.5 with the face closed a little. 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater F-35 3h - Heater BMT-3 4h - Acer XV Tour 5-S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

11 hours ago, Hoodman22 said:

Playing a Ping G5 13.5 driver

Gotcha. I misread your first post. I thought you ended up getting the same driver as your sister in law had. What driver was she playing that you tried ?

Edited by erock9174

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

For those wanting to avoid a closed face, check out the 915 D2 12d.  I had one, and I wanted a closed face.  No matter the setting, the sole makes it sit open or square.  Also, I had a TM Jetspeed HL that sat open.

M4 Driver
3, 5, & 7 Woods

Hybrids have been banished
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
56º, 62º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini