Why I hate my pxg clubs

Hey, play what you want to & can or can not afford to. But, using the analogy that a Ferrari is just another car, or a Rolex is just another watch, or even any new tech electronic item is just the same isn't true. These "luxury" items in question are not restricted by governing bodies, as is golf, to limit their innovation. Regardless of how expensive any golf driver, set of irons, and even balls are, there are restrictions placed on their performance by golf's governing bodies. Ferrari can make a car go as fast as they are capable of. Computers, phones, tablets, etc can be decked out with the highest end tech one year, and then become obsolete the next year when even more innovation is introduced. Not so much with golf equipment, no matter what brand you happen to be playing. Performance wise, drivers are limited, irons are very similar, and balls are limited by rule. Even fairways can only attain a certain COR number, Can you imagine if a company like Apple was forced to follow the same guidelines? We would all still be using flip phones, err sorry if some still are. Guess, what I am saying is I can see why some people may be jealous of a certain brand of clubs bagged by others. Might come down to looks, feel, fit & finish to name just a few. But, it we were purchasing basically any other luxury item, and had to choose between old tech over new tech, at a similar price point, which one of us isn't going to choose the item with measurable performance advantages that we could actually see. I mean, who wants a 740 pixl HD tv for the same price as a new UHD, 4K model? Not really so much in golf. In the land of innovation, golf companies move like turtles, as we see slow minute measurable advances, but the prices for the new and best gear really never go down, do they? Even when their advances in measurable tech crawls along.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, play what you want to & can or can not afford to. But, using the analogy that a Ferrari is just another car, or a Rolex is just another watch, or even any new tech electronic item is just the same isn't true. These "luxury" items in question are not restricted by governing bodies, as is golf, to limit their innovation. Regardless of how expensive any golf driver, set of irons, and even balls are, there are restrictions placed on their performance by golf's governing bodies. Ferrari can make a car go as fast as they are capable of. Computers, phones, tablets, etc can be decked out with the highest end tech one year, and then become obsolete the next year when even more innovation is introduced. Not so much with golf equipment, no matter what brand you happen to be playing. Performance wise, drivers are limited, irons are very similar, and balls are limited by rule. Even fairways can only attain a certain COR number, Can you imagine if a company like Apple was forced to follow the same guidelines? We would all still be using flip phones, err sorry if some still are. Guess, what I am saying is I can see why some people may be jealous of a certain brand of clubs bagged by others. Might come down to looks, feel, fit & finish to name just a few. But, it we were purchasing basically any other luxury item, and had to choose between old tech over new tech, at a similar price point, which one of us isn't going to choose the item with measurable performance advantages that we could actually see. I mean, who wants a 740 pixl HD tv for the same price as a new UHD, 4K model? Not really so much in golf. In the land of innovation, golf companies move like turtles, as we see slow minute measurable advances, but the prices for the new and best gear really never go down, do they? Even when their advances in measurable tech crawls along.

To a degree what you say is true about club heads but shafts make a big difference too. I always encourage people to take their current club(s) to a simulator and hit their old club against the ones they want to buy, if you don't see a difference don't waste your money unless you just want to own the new club.

Some people just like to have the latest and greatest. As for the other analogies, they do work, you can't drive 150 mph on any road in NY so why spend money on a Ferrari unless you're going to take it on a track. As for Rolex, I own one, they keep crappy time and are expensive to maintain, the only saving grace is they hold their value. My iPhone 8 Plus works fine for my needs, I don't feel any need to upgrade my phone every 6 months or year like many do. Most of what we buy is for vanity, rarely utility. A huge percentage of amateur golfers would see no change in their scores if they replaced their Pro V1's with a $1 ball, they buy Pro V1's because that's what they think they need to be a good golfer.

PXG gets singled out because some don't like Parsons, which is okay, don't ever give the guy a dime of your money if you feel that strongly about him but don't knock the product or those that bought them because you don't like the owner or the price of his clubs. Honma, Epon and even Titleist have charged similar prices to PXG, where's the hate for them?

I would never pay $400 per iron from any manufacturer. I did pay $175 per iron from PXG because they feel great and performed better than the P790's and Epics I was using and the price was very close to what other manufacturers charge. If I didn't like how they felt or they didn't perform I wouldn't have purchased them.

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

Do people really get jealous of other people's clubs? How sad. I could see being curious or admiring a set of clubs but jealous?

Your argument is based on the assumption that pxg irons are in fact better than other offerings. I don't know if that is a valid assumption. The only objective truth would be that they are more expensive than most, not better performing necessarily.

Idk where you guys play, nobody here ever comments or even looks into others bags....never here anyone say a word about who playing what......seen a few sets around the course but to me they're just clubs,

Prolly more koreans here playing 20k honmas than 4k PXG'S, LOL

Most are just jealous of him, he can do pretty much whatever he wants and has made a dent in very tough industry....which Nike couldn't do...see if it lasts but he prolly doesnt care much either way

I have set on the way and really they didnt cost anymore than other sets, no way I pay 4k of set of irons, that's insane.... but it's his money and co. so he can do whatever he wants......cant fault him for being successful and taking a chance....which so far has panned out

Haha, spot on. My father-in-law has a putter with a diamond as the alignment aid. Wife has been been buggin me for a set of Honma’s for the past couple years but that will never happen. Every Korean American tourney I go is like a TSG catalog.

PXG Proto 9* - Veylix 788 Rome X/Cally Rogue Sub-Zero 13.5 - Veylix 888 Rome X 

Cally Apex 2 Hybrid - PX Catalyst 6.5/PXG Gen2 4 Hybrid - PX Evenflow Blue HC 6.5 

TourEdge EXS 220 5i - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5/PXG 6-PW Gen1 0311T - CTAPER X 

Vokey 50* - Modus 125X/Edel SMS 54 C-Grind - Modus 125X/TM Hi-Toe 60* - Modus 125X

Edel EAS 2.0  

]If one gets a year end bonus of $50K, $100K $1 Million do you think they care about $2K, $3K $4K for a set of irons?

Do they still have a wife who wants a new kitchen, a mortgage and a 16 month old?

Then yes, "they" probably do.

Let's review what we have learned from this thread:

1. Nobody can tell others how to spend their money because 'merica.

2. Everybody can (and should) make fun of others if they spend their money in really silly ways (like $6,000 irons).

You just sound like a hater and jealous you can't buy a pack of gum without your wife approving it.

Its not hate, its casual and minor mockery, which is miles from hate. I think its silly to spend that kind of money on a conforming golf club, and generally when I see people playing with them I tease them about it, for the same reason I tease a buddy who spends $500 on a designer tee shirt. He might like it. Its also silly.

The wife part was a joke. If you've read the whole thread you would have seen people who extol the virtues of Mr. Parsons for his "service" and then in the same breath explain they'll blow $2k on nonsense because they don't need the money anyways, which is the exact opposite of service and the literal definition of being selfish. I was responding in the context of that not actually saying i can't get PXG irons b/c my wife tells me what to do. You've said (in other posts) that you bought them for performance, which means my comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the "i have tons of money anyway and love golf so why not" crowd.

You have PXG. Unless you're firing 72s, 60-75% of people who look in your bag roll their eyes and chuckle. If you're cool with that, have at it. I'm sure some people laugh at my burner hybrids on the first tee of am events. The OP's question was all about what people think of his clubs, and that's what people think of those clubs in the hands of guys who shoot 85. No more, no less.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

]If one gets a year end bonus of $50K, $100K $1 Million do you think they care about $2K, $3K $4K for a set of irons?

Do they still have a wife who wants a new kitchen, a mortgage and a 16 month old?

Then yes, "they" probably do.

Let's review what we have learned from this thread:

1. Nobody can tell others how to spend their money because 'merica.

2. Everybody can (and should) make fun of others if they spend their money in really silly ways (like $6,000 irons).

You just sound like a hater and jealous you can't buy a pack of gum without your wife approving it.

Its not hate, its casual and minor mockery, which is miles from hate. I think its silly to spend that kind of money on a conforming golf club, and generally when I see people playing with them I tease them about it, for the same reason I tease a buddy who spends $500 on a designer tee shirt. He might like it. Its also silly.

The wife part was a joke. If you've read the whole thread you would have seen people who extol the virtues of Mr. Parsons for his "service" and then in the same breath explain they'll blow $2k on nonsense because they don't need the money anyways, which is the exact opposite of service and the literal definition of being selfish. I was responding in the context of that not actually saying i can't get PXG irons b/c my wife tells me what to do. You've said (in other posts) that you bought them for performance, which means my comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the "i have tons of money anyway and love golf so why not" crowd.

You have PXG. Unless you're firing 72s, 60-75% of people who look in your bag roll their eyes and chuckle. If you're cool with that, have at it. I'm sure some people laugh at my burner hybrids on the first tee of am events. The OP's question was all about what people think of his clubs, and that's what people think of those clubs in the hands of guys who shoot 85. No more, no less.

I may have misunderstood your post, if so, my apologies.

I may not agree with what some people spend their money on but I don't feel the need to mock them for it. How a responsible adult spends their money is their business, we all have different priorities and desires in life.

I think you and maybe those who might chuckle when they look in my bag misunderstand PXG's target market. I like PXG irons and wedges (I don't care for their woods) because I like the combination of feel and forgiveness they offer, much beter than my Epics and P790's. If I could shoot 72's I'd be playing Mizuno or Miura blades, not GI irons.

Woods - XXIO 10 3W

I’m 2 months in with mine and they are so so, not sure I like the turf interaction yet I need to have the lies adjusted, I guess that’s what I get for trusting PXG’s build, only played 2-4 rounds with them but they definitely built them too flat, I’ll put in a few more rounds before going back to 718 AP2 or Srixon 785.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

I'm 2 months in with mine and they are so so, not sure I like the turf interaction yet I need to have the lies adjusted, I guess that's what I get for trusting PXG's build, only played 2-4 rounds with them but they definitely built them too flat, I'll put in a few more rounds before going back to 718 AP2 or Srixon 785.

After going thru this thread there was a post about Gen 1's "not so good" for turf interaction. I'm not a turf-interaction maven, but it is interesting they rolled-out the Gen 2's not long after the Gen 1's.

I think the best way to decide is buy both Gen 1 and Gen 2 sets and play them for a year.

I'm 2 months in with mine and they are so so, not sure I like the turf interaction yet I need to have the lies adjusted, I guess that's what I get for trusting PXG's build, only played 2-4 rounds with them but they definitely built them too flat, I'll put in a few more rounds before going back to 718 AP2 or Srixon 785.

After going thru this thread there was a post about Gen 1's "not so good" for turf interaction. I'm not a turf-interaction maven, but it is interesting they rolled-out the Gen 2's not long after the Gen 1's.

I think the best way to decide is buy both Gen 1 and Gen 2 sets and play them for a year.

There is no turf interaction issues with PXG Irons, I have a down 5-7 degree swing with a late release at impact and they are just fine. I play the 0311P and they are nearly as good as a butter knife blade. The iron that stands out in my mind as the poster child for bad turf interaction was the "original" Callaway 12's from many many years ago which even Callaway redesigned it was so bad. Second design was just fine. I know, I owned them both. Turf "interaction" problems are few and virtually non existent in clubs. Bad swings is a whole other issue.

There is no turf interaction issues with PXG Irons, I have a down 5-7 degree swing with a late release at impact and the are just fine. I play the 0311P and they are nearly as good as a butter knife blade. The iron that stands out in my mind as the poster child for bad turf interaction was the "original" Callaway 12's from many many years ago which even Callaway redesigned it was so bad. Second design was just fine. I know, I owned them both. Turf "interaction" problems are few and virtually non existent in clubs. Bad swings is a whole other issue.

Yea. All irons today have same rounded sole and leading edge. All equally bad. Agreed. Lol

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

There is no turf interaction issues with PXG Irons, I have a down 5-7 degree swing with a late release at impact and the are just fine. I play the 0311P and they are nearly as good as a butter knife blade. The iron that stands out in my mind as the poster child for bad turf interaction was the "original" Callaway 12's from many many years ago which even Callaway redesigned it was so bad. Second design was just fine. I know, I owned them both. Turf "interaction" problems are few and virtually non existent in clubs. Bad swings is a whole other issue.

Yea. All irons today have same rounded sole and leading edge. All equally bad. Agreed. Lol

Srixon don't, they have a V sole.

Woods - XXIO 10 3W

uh 3yrs isnt exactly short or "not long" in golf equipment release cycles

Like guy said above it has far more to do with bad swings than clubs....which are also far more prevalent

Like guy said above it has far more to do with bad swings than clubs....which are also far more prevalent

Don't shoot the messenger! But what changed from Gen 1 to Gen 2? If Gen 1 is fine, why would folks pony-up the extra money for the 2's?

A lot of suggestions and I decided to heck with it , why not put a full pxg set in my bag. The move was in the works. Welcome 0341X 3 & 5 wood, 0317X hybrid. No headcovers, they will be on full display. My dough and all that counts will be fairways, greens and executing my putting.

I suggest you pick up the matching putter....let us know what you think of the clubs....and of course, how much did they cost?

It doesn't get any funnier than this! LOL!

Don't shoot the messenger! But what changed from Gen 1 to Gen 2? If Gen 1 is fine, why would folks pony-up the extra money for the 2's?

nothing that's why I bought gen 1 at discounted price....glad I did cuz no way I would pay $450 a club for these...they arent anything special

I cannot tell Bob Parsons how to run his business, but discounting Gen 1 to $155 an iron is giving the haters and chief opposers an opportunity to own them. I am seriously considering going with the Gen 2.

Don't listen to me but I've heard the Gen 2's are far better for turf interaction. Don't know if true...just relaying other's opinions.

I dont have an issue with turf, and that's gonna be subjective anyways

He has designers from ping and honestly that's exactly what they look like...at address the sole, everything about the club screams PING

It's an I500 With goop inside and screws on the back

not a hater, I just dont see why they cost so much.....if the priveledged people get offended their 3k set of irons are same as 1k set well idk what to tell you......there is always honma and they will sell you a set for 49k for real

I cannot tell Bob Parsons how to run his business, but discounting Gen 1 to $155 an iron is giving the haters and chief opposers an opportunity to own them. I am seriously considering going with the Gen 2.

Don't listen to me but I've heard the Gen 2's are far better for turf interaction. Don't know if true...just relaying other's opinions.

I think this what bugs people about PXG claims.

'Far better'?

How?

Turf interaction is utterly dependent on your swing.

If (and it is a big if) a club had better turf interaction for your swing, it is unlikely to prove magical for mine.

Mavrik Hzrdus Smoke
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G410/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec Copper Irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
PXG One and Done

You have a very strange view on things Danny. Why would I spend a dime on something from a company that I didn't like ?

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Callaway Apex #5 Hybrid

Tour Edge #6 E521 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 7-GW, Ping Glide 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

I know far too many haters and posers who are very well to do for this statement to make any sense at all to me.

What you really should be upset with is how the pricing on the previous generation irons pretty much invalidates that they were ever worth what was originally charged for them or how it will impact the resale value of them.

I know far too many haters and posers who are very well to do for this statement to make any sense at all to me.

What you really should be upset with is how the pricing on the previous generation irons pretty much invalidates that they were ever worth what was originally charged for them or how it will impact the resale value of them.

That statement could be true of all manufacturers couldn't it?

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Callaway Apex #5 Hybrid

Tour Edge #6 E521 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 7-GW, Ping Glide 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

That statement could be true of all manufacturers couldn't it?

If you are talking mainstream manufacturers sure but when it comes to the supposedly high end manufacturers no I don't think so. Do you see epon, miura, or similar manufacturers do this? Especially as direct sales through their website?

Uh, thats precisely why i've considered a set now that I can in theory afford it. Talk about a statement making no sense.