2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Wilson CorTex driver

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they really are only going to make 8,000 of these, then yes sell them at $499

I would love for someone to confirm that number.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

If they really are only going to make 8,000 of these, then yes sell them at $499

I understood that was the initial run (to create a sense of limited supply) but that they would consider an additional production run if demand warranted it.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I understood that was the initial run (to create a sense of limited supply) but that they would consider an additional production run if demand warranted it.

I just asked this question on one of their instagram posts and they deleted it. soo, that in my mind confirms it. otherwise they would have (at least in my mind) said no.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I would love for someone to confirm that number.

This number is correct. The local Wilson rep in my area told me the same number. There will be NO additional production on this, I was told.

Interesting. Too bad this will not make it to collectors item status.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just asked this question on one of their instagram posts and they deleted it. soo, that in my mind confirms it. otherwise they would have (at least in my mind) said no.

That says a lot also kinda shady to delete it.

How many Rogues or G400s or M3/4s were sold this year? Just trying to put 8,000 in perspective.

i dunno, but i have personally sold more than a dozen rogues and g400s each. not as many Tm clubs. maybe 8-10ish.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I know there's a lot of bellyaching about the $499 price point, but from a marketing point of view, you must see yourself as being equal to your premium competitors before the public will. Maybe it seems like a lot now, but sticking a $500 point on it says "legit".

Frankly, everything Wilson have done in the last 5 years makes their brand worthy of top-tier recognition. It takes a while, but they have fully committed, and while the infomercial of DvD is "questionable" in its true R&D sense, if a bunch of people watch it, it worked. Politics aside, it got a president elected.

So ya, it'll probably follow the quick discount flow like Cobra does, but Cobra went through this about 8 years ago. Since the Fly-Z pro, no one questions Cobra as top tier. Wilson needs to keep at it, and get an "acceptance" hit, and in a few years, you'll not question them.

And yet cobra f8 started cheaper than the cortex and unless they make the leap to the $499 price the f9 probavky comes in to so pe your example if cobra being top tier its anonthdr brand that performs similar as cortex and cost less

I'm not sure everyone sees Cobra as being top tier. It is very close but it's not up to the top three. I might get flamed for this but stepping up to the tee not many people get too excited over a new Cobra driver. Maybe the forum guys do.. but not the average hacker.

I can fully see their point about stopping at 8k units. After what went on with the Triton launch and just the over all doom and gloom about the price... i can't blame them on being cautious.

I can see a first run, but what do they do if there is still demand after that?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I know there's a lot of bellyaching about the $499 price point, but from a marketing point of view, you must see yourself as being equal to your premium competitors before the public will. Maybe it seems like a lot now, but sticking a $500 point on it says "legit".

Frankly, everything Wilson have done in the last 5 years makes their brand worthy of top-tier recognition. It takes a while, but they have fully committed, and while the infomercial of DvD is "questionable" in its true R&D sense, if a bunch of people watch it, it worked. Politics aside, it got a president elected.

So ya, it'll probably follow the quick discount flow like Cobra does, but Cobra went through this about 8 years ago. Since the Fly-Z pro, no one questions Cobra as top tier. Wilson needs to keep at it, and get an "acceptance" hit, and in a few years, you'll not question them.

And yet cobra f8 started cheaper than the cortex and unless they make the leap to the $499 price the f9 probavky comes in to so pe your example if cobra being top tier it’s anonthdr brand that performs similar as cortex and cost less

I'm not sure everyone sees Cobra as being top tier. It is very close but it's not up to the top three. I might get flamed for this but stepping up to the tee not many people get too excited over a new Cobra driver. Maybe the forum guys do.. but not the average hacker.

Im with you. Was just using his point to show what we’ve been saying about equal performance from a lower priced driver is where most will spend money especially if there is a good used one on the secondary market

I can fully see their point about stopping at 8k units. After what went on with the Triton launch and just the over all doom and gloom about the price... i can't blame them on being cautious.

If the demand rises I cant see why they wouldnt fo another run. Who knows.

I am by no means an expert in product manufacturing and fulfillment. I wonder how long it took them to manufacture the 8k they supposedly have. With the small market share that they have, maybe it isn't so easy to just order more. If it is successful, I would love to see them keep the CorTex line and refine the design and release future revisions. Don't scrap it and hold another contest next year. Build the CorTex name just as much as the Wilson brand.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

And yet cobra f8 started cheaper than the cortex and unless they make the leap to the $499 price the f9 probavky comes in to so pe your example if cobra being top tier it’s anonthdr brand that performs similar as cortex and cost less

Yea Cobra is in the 2nd tier and they have always been priced that way

That makes a ton of sense... how dare you..

From what little I know from closely following Maltby product releases and being slightly involved with Xcaliber I know that prototype runs and quality control alone can take a lot of time as well as trying to reserve production run time. So with Wisons market share I have no idea how much pull they have at the factory. Interesting question.

I am by no means an expert in product manufacturing and fulfillment. I wonder how long it took them to manufacture the 8k they supposedly have. With the small market share that they have, maybe it isn't so easy to just order more. If it is successful, I would love to see them keep the CorTex line and refine the design and release future revisions. Don't scrap it and hold another contest next year. Build the CorTex name just as much as the Wilson brand.

I see Cobra as top tier for sure. What about the Cobra product line is second tier? I’m curious

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I see a few Cobra drivers here and there. Never seen a Wilson though. From what I read here, their best driver of recent years has probably been the LTD. I have yet to see one. See a few older Amp and Bio Cell models once in a while. I just haven't liked their headshapes personally. The CorTex has them beat in that department.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I know there's a lot of bellyaching about the $499 price point, but from a marketing point of view, you must see yourself as being equal to your premium competitors before the public will. Maybe it seems like a lot now, but sticking a $500 point on it says "legit". Frankly, everything Wilson have done in the last 5 years makes their brand worthy of top-tier recognition. It takes a while, but they have fully committed, and while the infomercial of DvD is "questionable" in its true R&D sense, if a bunch of people watch it, it worked. Politics aside, it got a president elected. So ya, it'll probably follow the quick discount flow like Cobra does, but Cobra went through this about 8 years ago. Since the Fly-Z pro, no one questions Cobra as top tier. Wilson needs to keep at it, and get an "acceptance" hit, and in a few years, you'll not question them.
I see a few Cobra drivers here and there. Never seen a Wilson though. From what I read here, their best driver of recent years has probably been the LTD. I have yet to see one. See a few older Amp and Bio Cell models once in a while. I just haven't liked their headshapes personally. The CorTex has them beat in that department.

i would not consider cobra tier two but more of a tier 1-A. No one puts them in the same catagory as wilson and their products sell very well.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Good looking driver but we all know we aren't buying Wilson. Not for $499 and only lefty option is 10.5. No Sir!!!

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

i would not consider cobra tier two but more of a tier 1-A. No one puts them in the same catagory as wilson and their products sell very well.

I agree with that. Not quite the very top. But, quality gear, good value, and they actually have a tour presence. I'm grateful that Puma kept them from going extinct. The more competition, the better.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

And yet cobra f8 started cheaper than the cortex and unless they make the leap to the $499 price the f9 probavky comes in to so pe your example if cobra being top tier its anonthdr brand that performs similar as cortex and cost less

I see Cobra as top tier for sure. What about the Cobra product line is second tier? Im curious
I personally don't view Cobra as second tier but I was speaking of perception of Joe average. The quality is top notch. Unless you are all over the forums you dont know much about Cobra. It just doesnt get the big press.

I see Cobra as top tier for sure. What about the Cobra product line is second tier? I’m curious

They aren’t titleist, Callaway, Ping or TM but they aren’t W/S or Mizuno (when it comes to woods). They make good clubs but they have a similar perception to Wilson as being “cheap”. I see more cobra clubs than Wilson but they still aren’t a very popular brand. Puma golf is much more popular than cobra

I know there's a lot of bellyaching about the $499 price point, but from a marketing point of view, you must see yourself as being equal to your premium competitors before the public will. Maybe it seems like a lot now, but sticking a $500 point on it says "legit". Frankly, everything Wilson have done in the last 5 years makes their brand worthy of top-tier recognition. It takes a while, but they have fully committed, and while the infomercial of DvD is "questionable" in its true R&D sense, if a bunch of people watch it, it worked. Politics aside, it got a president elected. So ya, it'll probably follow the quick discount flow like Cobra does, but Cobra went through this about 8 years ago. Since the Fly-Z pro, no one questions Cobra as top tier. Wilson needs to keep at it, and get an "acceptance" hit, and in a few years, you'll not question them.
They aren’t titleist, Callaway, Ping or TM but they aren’t W/S or Mizuno (when it comes to woods). They make good clubs but they have a similar perception to Wilson as being “cheap”. I see more cobra clubs than Wilson but they still aren’t a very popular brand. Puma golf is much more popular than cobra

That may change, Cobra seems to stacking up some "W"s lately Bryson has won 4 times this calendar year, Lexi just got a win. And while he has not won Ricky is always in contention. that surely carries some weight to it.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Cobra makes good products, I have an F8 hybrid and an F7 3W that will be with me until it dies. I tried both the F7 and F8 drivers for a bit too, I couldn't keep them anywhere close to the fairway though. They typically have a huge price reduction after their initial marketing run. You can pick up prior years Cobra products real cheap

And yet cobra f8 started cheaper than the cortex and unless they make the leap to the $499 price the f9 probavky comes in to so pe your example if cobra being top tier it's anonthdr brand that performs similar as cortex and cost less

If you're willing to pay $400 for a Cobra driver, but not willing to pay $500 because that's too much, you're not the target market.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I find something interesting about the fact the Rick Shiels just posted his first vid since the finale and it is not about the cortex..

BALL; Chrome Soft X