New Wilson CorTex driver

Club sat square to open to me which was surprising since so many saw it closed.

Same for me. When I soled it it immediately assumed a square to maybe very slightly open profile to me. I didn't understand the closed comments.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much talk about the price point. I get it, but it's beaten to death. But even if it was $400 people would be trying to find some way to get it cheaper. Last year's Triton came out at the same price point, and yes it was a massive failure at the retail level, but I don't see any manufacturer out there admitting defeat and dropping their price from one year to the next, it just doesn't happen. Admitting failure and defeat at the retail level at first release would be cheapening the brand and offering in the eyes of many would be buyers. And looking at who's left at the suggested $400 price point for new offerings, it's pretty much just Cobra nowadays. Even Ping is following along with the 410 jumping up to $500, so coming in below that would suggest to many that it's a lower quality offering.

As to the club itself, I saw it in store this past weekend, about 10 or so on the rack for the low production conspiracy theorists. I really like the shape, could do without the crown graphic and visual carbon fibre, but just from looking at it I was intrigued. Club sat square to open to me which was surprising since so many saw it closed. Atmos Blue in stiff felt very whippy in the vaunted club waggle test, an xstiff would be nice to try out and more shaft options should be a must, big miss there. I'll be keeping an eye on this one over the winter to see how it matches up with the competition. I hope for Wilson that this is a success, in my eyes it's already night and day better than the Triton experience, but that's not a high bar.

I think most of us here that have ragged on the price point would not have done so at $400. It would put it a little above the current releases and draw more eyes to it at that price. When stores struggle to sell the brand as it is when a new release comes out from that same company at a higher price point people flinch. I’m going to swing by a local store this weekend to see what the fitting options they have are abd tge manager of the store is a friend of a friend. If he’s around I’m going to ask what he thinks of the price and see how many of any have sold there.

I think most of us here that have ragged on the price point would not have done so at $400. It would put it a little above the current releases and draw more eyes to it at that price.

I tend to agree with you. In order to change consumer behavior, the product has to either offer something the others do not or rely on a price point to influence purchase decisions. For most it seems like the performance is, best case, as good as the major OEM 2018 offerings, so I don't see the first situation being satisfied.

To be clear, I love the look of it and I 100% want this driver to do well. And for Wilson to become a more major player in the market. Maybe that's my frustration on the pricing - it seems to me like this is an ego-based, short-sighted decision that will limit that end goal. I hope I'm wrong.

There’s no way they are only planning on making 8,000. 8,000 went to stores already I could see. That’s almost $4 million, but still Wilson would have to hope for more.

Could be an image thing. They have to avoid another Triton fiasco at all cost. If it doesn't sell, there won't be a huge abundance of excess drivers being sold for a fraction of msrp. If this does sell well enough, maybe they make another run of them, or possibly a small refresh.

Do like PXG and just ‘re-introduce’ them. The perfect marketing ploy for ‘oops we didn’t sell all we made’ problem.

This thing is almost as trash as the G410 and M5! Oh wait I haven't hit any of these like a good 95% of haters on here.... So many people won't try this so they can continue to hate it. At the end of the day if it is more forgiving, suits the eye and ear, has good numbers who cares the price? If you are so worried about re sale keep playing drivers that will sell well in 2 years time but probably won't help your game. Like everything a well fitted driver will out perform any shelf driver.

Most aren’t saying it’s trash but rather stating that perception of the Wilson brand when it comes to drivers isn’t that good and then add in that they also have a reputation as “cheap” due to the box sets under the Wilson name. As a result the price is one than many believe is high for trying to attract people to buy a club that is as good but not far and above better than g400, ya line, Callaway current releases.

Whether uts golf equipment or other consumer products perception is usually reality.

This exactly. I don't understand why people are getting so defensive over this. No one is saying it's a bad club. Just doubting that Wilson can overcome their sullied image at this price point.

Yeah, they should rename their premium stuff ‘Lexus’ or something....

Just hit this driver today, with the Atmos Blue shaft. Sat square at address, felt good, but for $499 I'm going to wait and try the Ping G410 and Callaway Epic Flash.

Ping G430 Max 10k Driver | 10.5° set to 9.5° (Flat -1.0°) | autoFlex 505
Callaway Epic Speed | 16.5° | Ventus Red

Callaway Epic Max | 20° | Graphite Design Tour AD DJ
Ping G430 3H | 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Titleist T150 | 5I-AW | Aerotech SteelFiber i80cw

Callaway Rogue ST Pro | 5I-AW | Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway Jaws Full Toe Raw Black | 54° & 58° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Bettinardi BB8 Tri Carbon Candy  | Stability Graphite or TaylorMade Spider X Chalk  | Stability Tour

So much talk about the price point. I get it, but it's beaten to death. But even if it was $400 people would be trying to find some way to get it cheaper. Last year's Triton came out at the same price point, and yes it was a massive failure at the retail level, but I don't see any manufacturer out there admitting defeat and dropping their price from one year to the next, it just doesn't happen. Admitting failure and defeat at the retail level at first release would be cheapening the brand and offering in the eyes of many would be buyers. And looking at who's left at the suggested $400 price point for new offerings, it's pretty much just Cobra nowadays. Even Ping is following along with the 410 jumping up to $500, so coming in below that would suggest to many that it's a lower quality offering.

As to the club itself, I saw it in store this past weekend, about 10 or so on the rack for the low production conspiracy theorists. I really like the shape, could do without the crown graphic and visual carbon fibre, but just from looking at it I was intrigued. Club sat square to open to me which was surprising since so many saw it closed. Atmos Blue in stiff felt very whippy in the vaunted club waggle test, an xstiff would be nice to try out and more shaft options should be a must, big miss there. I'll be keeping an eye on this one over the winter to see how it matches up with the competition. I hope for Wilson that this is a success, in my eyes it's already night and day better than the Triton experience, but that's not a high bar.

Good point, it makes way more sense to continue to release products that don't sell at that price point. At least they won't have to "admit defeat" this way. Typically a good strategy for companies struggling to get market share. I guess we'll all see how it plays out.

Show me any company that decreases their asking price from year to year, it doesn't happen. Generally you'll see it from companies in that they'll start high and try to get people that want things when they're new and hot, and eventually drop the price over time rather than just starting low. TaylorMade was notorious for it in the past, and Cobra has been quick to the markdowns and promotions in recent years as well.

This new Wilson Staff Cortex driver is worth it's weight!

It's forgiving with high MOI design, techy with lot's of carbon fiber, sets up as a players driver "square/open" and a awesome Atmos Tour Spec shaft!!

Purchased one and can' wait to test on the course. :golfer:

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

Good point, it makes way more sense to continue to release products that don't sell at that price point. At least they won't have to "admit defeat" this way. Typically a good strategy for companies struggling to get market share. I guess we'll all see how it plays out.

Show me any company that decreases their asking price from year to year, it doesn't happen. Generally you'll see it from companies in that they'll start high and try to get people that want things when they're new and hot, and eventually drop the price over time rather than just starting low. TaylorMade was notorious for it in the past, and Cobra has been quick to the markdowns and promotions in recent years as well.

Callaway does. I actually like their pricing model and how they release product. They keep a driver current for 2 years and it's $500 in year one and $400 in year two. It's better than Taylormade's Moto of it's $500 and then 6 months later we're going to blow them out because it's an antique.

I just think it's going to be hard to sell a Wilson driver for $500 because at the end of the day it says Wilson on it. I'm not knocking Wilson but when you think of premium golf brands Wilson isn't exactly at the top of the list.

I never said they should do year over year reductions? They need to find their sweet spot price where they accumulate the volume they need while maintaining margins. Maybe $499 is that spot with a limited production driver, and TV show, I honestly don't know. No matter what this won't increase their market share as much as offering the driver for $399. Cobra seems to have done well with new customer acquisition with that lower price point strategy.

Callaway does. I actually like their pricing model and how they release product. They keep a driver current for 2 years and it's $500 in year one and $400 in year two. It's better than Taylormade's Moto of it's $500 and then 6 months later we're going to blow them out because it's an antique.

I just think it's going to be hard to sell a Wilson driver for $500 because at the end of the day it says Wilson on it. I'm not knocking Wilson but when you think of premium golf brands Wilson isn't exactly at the top of the list.

But Callaway starts that item at $500, it never debuts at $400.

Except the last two releases. When rogue was released they abandoned the epic 1 year in abd price reduced about 9 months before its 2 year mark. Now rogue which is under 1 year since release has been reduced in price and the epic flash isn’t even released yet. Rogue will get thrown to the dude by them for the next year.

The crazy part about that is the per Callaway rogue wasn’t a replacement for epic and since epic flash is coming it has to be assumed isn’t a replacement for riue being they are two different lines from Callaway.

I was just thinking about the cobra limited release f8. With the atmos shaft. Those were 499 and didn't sell very well.

Seriously, who's going to pay and extra $100 (and now $200) for a differently painted head ?

I was just thinking about the cobra limited release f8. With the atmos shaft. Those were 499 and didn't sell very well.

Seriously, who's going to pay and extra $100 (and now $200) for a differently painted head ?

Do you remember the US Open version of DJ's M1? I think those were $800.

and don't forget callaways red epic... that was pricey as well. Also, Nike did it with the vapor fly line (black) and the covert line (volt). Those, obviously like cobras volition, didn't sell as well at the higher price though.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Tour Edge is selling the new EXS for $299. Less then former ex10 driver which cost $349

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I think most of us here that have ragged on the price point would not have done so at $400. It would put it a little above the current releases and draw more eyes to it at that price.

I tend to agree with you. In order to change consumer behavior, the product has to either offer something the others do not or rely on a price point to influence purchase decisions. For most it seems like the performance is, best case, as good as the major OEM 2018 offerings, so I don't see the first situation being satisfied.

To be clear, I love the look of it and I 100% want this driver to do well. And for Wilson to become a more major player in the market. Maybe that's my frustration on the pricing - it seems to me like this is an ego-based, short-sighted decision that will limit that end goal. I hope I'm wrong.

For me, if it's performing equal to other options on the market I would consider it to satisfy "offer something the others do not" with the look. I really do think this is one of the better driver shapes in awhile. But without fitting carts and/or placements in fitting studios, I'm not sure most people will ever really know if it is performing as well as others. That's putting a lot of hope into stock shafts with the minimal number of units in each store.

I hit this guy today and it felt and sounded pretty good to me. The numbers I was getting seemed on par with most of the big boys. I was getting some hooks with the 6S Atmos blue and couldn't go at it the way I would have with a 6X but it was actually fairly promising. Was getting pretty decent spin #'s too.

On a side note, I also hit the Tour Edge EXS driver which my PGA store just received yesterday. With the Tensei Bue X in it, I took 3 swings. On the third swing, during the transition, the shaft snapped at the tip, the head flew into the wall and the carbon crown flew off. Almost killed the sales associate. Scared the crap out of me.

So when the new Callaway and Taylormade releases debut at 550 plus next year will the 500 price point for this driver feel so bad.

Yes because people trust in both those brands. There are fanboys of both that will but regardless and the general public knows how good their drivers usually are.

$550 for a driver seems crazy to me. i would never pay that.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

So when the new Callaway and Taylormade releases debut at 550 plus next year will the 500 price point for this driver feel so bad.

Yes because people trust in both those brands. There are fanboys of both that will but regardless and the general public knows how good their drivers usually are.

There’s a lot of folks that won’t, but there’s as many of not more that will. I’m curious to see if Callaway or TM hit that number of come in around $525 which would be a smaller jump.

We’ve been lucky for awhile that prices while somewhat climbed the last several years they are still pretty low for where they could be based on the materials and shafts being used.

I used to be the give me new and shiny even if performance is the same. Now I’m about keeping what works and only replace if broken or something outperforms.

There's a lot of folks that won't, but there's as many of not more that will. I'm curious to see if Callaway or TM hit that number of come in around $525 which would be a smaller jump.

We've been lucky for awhile that prices while somewhat climbed the last several years they are still pretty low for where they could be based on the materials and shafts being used.

I used to be the give me new and shiny even if performance is the same. Now I'm about keeping what works and only replace if broken or something outperforms.

I dont disagree that many will pay it. i am just not one of them.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

i think that the cortex i matched up with something like the hazrdus yellow may actually produce a winning combo.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

There's a lot of folks that won't, but there's as many of not more that will. I'm curious to see if Callaway or TM hit that number of come in around $525 which would be a smaller jump.

We've been lucky for awhile that prices while somewhat climbed the last several years they are still pretty low for where they could be based on the materials and shafts being used.

I used to be the give me new and shiny even if performance is the same. Now I'm about keeping what works and only replace if broken or something outperforms.

I dont disagree that many will pay it. i am just not one of them.

Don't you WORK in a golf store, no ? Or am I mistaken ?

And if so, do you not get a fairly healthy discount off anything you want to buy ? If so, no offense but you should recuse yourself from price discussions as you're really not coming at this from a retail buyer's POV.

Fact is, there are tons of guys who would pay $550 if they could find a driver that carried 10+ and rolled out an extra 5-10 more as well over their current driver although, I confess, if the Cortex DID do that, it's probably because their current driver is a poor fit.

But poor fit aside, I would think that MOST guys, IF they could routinely get say, an extra, controllable, 6-7 carry and another 3-5 more rollout would spend the $550 in a heartbeat. And (most of them ?) wouldn't care what name is on it. I know I wouldn't.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

And if so, do you not get a fairly healthy discount off anything you want to buy ? If so, no offense but you should recuse yourself from price discussions as you're really not coming at this from a retail buyer's POV.

Fact is, there are tons of guys who would pay $550 if they could find a driver that carried 10+ and rolled out an extra 5-10 more as well over their current driver although, I confess, if the Cortex DID do that, it's probably because their current driver is a poor fit.

But poor fit aside, I would think that MOST guys, IF they could routinely get say, an extra, controllable, 6-7 carry and another 3-5 more rollout would spend the $550 in a heartbeat. And (most of them ?) wouldn't care what name is on it. I know I wouldn't.

6-7 yards carry or 3-5 total with similar dispersion for me isn’t worth an upgrade. That’s less than 1 club length gain on approach shots so it doesn’t change my club or shot selection. I’m sure the avg Joe golfer who only looks at total would consider spending $500+ on a driver and if only compared the cortex to their gamer would probably buy it.

I need to see at least 10 yards in carry and/or a significant improvement in dispersion. My current driver is pretty accurate and gives me good carry distance and total on most courses.

I am coming from a place of retail buying. i do get discounts, but i have not ALWAYS had them. The fact still remains that as a consumer i would not pay that price. In fact, i have never paid full retail for any golf related product. mainly because i couldnt afford it, even with discounts I consider it expensive and as of yet have not purchased anything.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

After reading all these comments, I looked up a GG yesterday (I was in Minneapolis) and hit some balls with the stock club. They only had 4. Said they had sold the other 3. Anyway, they had a 9* with the Atmos Blue S, so I gave it a go. Now, I play my driver at 44.5" and D4 sw. Total weight is usually around 325 - 330 gms. The Cortex had a light total weight, but felt like the sw was pretty close. Alao, the standard grip felt tiny. After warming up with a wedge, I hit about 20 shots with a Kirland ball. Started out hooking due to the light weight, but once I adjusted, the flight straightened out. Distance was a little short of what I usually get, but then I was never really comfortable with the feel of the shaft. Good sound and the head loks great at address. I will pick one up eventually and reshaft with something more suitable. I also hit a G400 with the 65 gm tour shaft (grip was slightly larger). Distance was the same, but dispersion was worse. So, I personally think the Cortex will get the job done.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

If anything, I personally think someone who works in golf retail is more qualified to speak on the likelihood of the overall golf population to purchase a club and the variables that weigh into purchase consideration.

That conversation completely independent from his personal likelihood to put it in the bag, which has been pretty clear.

Just hit it with 3 swings.

First initial thoughts. Impressive. Like the size. Never even looked at the bottom or options for adjustments, just sat it down and swung. Non-scientific.

This thing was solid and I appreciated the sound. I am thoroughly impressed with the finish of this product. Great jump forward from the Triton.

My only issue is the price. Being on GolfWRX, I am not the average golfer when it comes to being in the know concerning shafts. I know that this is a real deal ATMOS and understand the cost. Yet for the average guy that walks in the shop he has no idea what that means and because it is not a Taylor Made, Callaway or Ping the salesman then has to explain where the value is. This is a tough sell, because you have to dog other OEMS to build up Wilson instead of just selling on the merits of the club. For a company that has a very small market share this seems to be an uphill climb. I am not in the industry, I just know what the guys at the local shops deal with on a day to day basis.

Thanks