New Wilson CorTex driver

Looks really clean and glad it was chosen. I will hit it next to the ST190G and my M4 and see whats up for my swing. Thanks for posting the pics.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't like it thus far. Why would he pull out his wallet ?

it boils down this this, my initial demo was very unfavorable. i posted right after i left the store and feel that I may have been overly harsh in saying it is trash. so yes, i am trying to walk back that statement a bit and be a bit more tempered and objective in my opinion. i want to provide actual numbers to it for people to see since i did not do that. do it think that i will go back and suddenly won over? i do not.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

anyone else notice the font is almost exactly taylormade's for the M 1 or 3? ...just sayin.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Just to add, it feel very odd, I think it is because it is 40 percent carbon. But this thing is just odd and harsh feeling. Not a winner. The c300 is a much better driver.

Whether or not it’s as long as the best drivers, we don’t know. But everyone but you really likes the feel. You are probably Jimmy, the third place finisher.

??????

anyone else notice the font is almost exactly taylormade's for the M 1 or 3? ...just sayin.

Wilson-TaylorMade-BMW. Circle of life.

i don't know what you mean by that but...mmmmk

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I noticed Rick had numbers of only 283 total when he hit it in Chicago. I told my wife those looked lower than the ones he puts up at home. Now there could have been some wind and maybe very little roll but Chicago is at higher elevation than where Rick lives in the UK so 283 was a little bit of a surprise. Like I said in the other thread Wilson is reaching at $500 for this. They should offer it at $300 with an upcharge for the better shafts. I noticed too like others that this resembles my F6+. But I paid $110 for that a few months back in part due to Rick's review and MyGolf Spy data. My swing speed is under 100 now so my only real gains will be on the ground.

I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3. These are not going to sell at all.. I feel kinda bad for Wilson.

Sorry no new driver is that bad. Wilsons engineers isnt some random hobos they picked up on the street mate. Mishit, bad fitting, etc :)

Sorry you have an inconsistent swing. 30 yard difference is not realistic.

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3. These are not going to sell at all.. I feel kinda bad for Wilson.

Sorry no new driver is that bad. Wilsons engineers isnt some random hobos they picked up on the street mate. Mishit, bad fitting, etc :)

meh, we shall see... i was not the only one hitting it and no one was impressed. as i said the store only ordered 6, we have 40 rogues on the rack right now. so you do the math and see where the owner is putting his money on what will sell.

And that spiff money doesn't sway you at all either.

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

I think the problem with this driver, one it looks like a lot of the other tech out there. I though the marketing for the Roswell would of been better to be honest. The track was different then what we have seen. The other other problem is the driver is $499.00

Its very hard for Wilson, who is not known to be a driver company to release this one for 500.00 the market for this driver should of been around $299-349.

Because in a couple of months, when they see they over priced this driver. There will be big discounts. Its hard to compete with Titleist, TM, Callaway.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

I noticed Rick had numbers of only 283 total when he hit it in Chicago. I told my wife those looked lower than the ones he puts up at home.

Correct, he generally carriers it 283-285 rolling out to 300-305. Here's his numbers on the newer drivers:

TS2: 159 bs, 2043 rpm, 288 carry, 309 total

TS3: 160 bs, 1967 rpm, 290 carry, 313 total

M3: 159 bs, 2150 rpm, 281 carry, 300 total

M4: 158 bs, 2300 rpm, 279 carry, 298 total

G400: 161 bs, 2470 rpm, 278 carry, 300 total

WLSON C300: 157 bs, 1715 rpm, 284 carry, 306 total

Check that last one! Wilson actually has a really good driver on the market in the C300.

They may actually be hurting their driver sells by launching an inferior product as the newest offering. Maybe the last episode and final stage of the competition should have been to see if the DVD 2 driver could outperform their current model before it would enter the retail space.

meh, we shall see... i was not the only one hitting it and no one was impressed. as i said the store only ordered 6, we have 40 rogues on the rack right now. so you do the math and see where the owner is putting his money on what will sell.

And that spiff money doesn't sway you at all either.

The spiff money is meaningless when it something that i am considering buying and putting in my bag.

Also, i never ever ever ever try to persuade someone that comes in for a specific product to look at something else simply because of how i may benefit from it. i always try and sell them they product that they want. IF someone came in to hit the cortex, no matter my opinion of it I am going to try and make sure the walk out with it. Now, if someone comes in not knowing that they want then yes i will try and steer them to what may be personally more beneficial to start with but i dont end there. I consider myself more ethical than that. It helps that the rogue is a really good driver and is universally thought of as one of the best drivers out there.

so it is not my fault that callaway is willing to do business they way they are.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I noticed Rick had numbers of only 283 total when he hit it in Chicago. I told my wife those looked lower than the ones he puts up at home. Now there could have been some wind and maybe very little roll but Chicago is at higher elevation than where Rick lives in the UK so 283 was a little bit of a surprise. Like I said in the other thread Wilson is reaching at $500 for this. They should offer it at $300 with an upcharge for the better shafts. I noticed too like others that this resembles my F6+. But I paid $110 for that a few months back in part due to Rick's review and MyGolf Spy data. My swing speed is under 100 now so my only real gains will be on the ground.

The 283 number was with the Rozwell. He hit 295 with the Cortex

i said this yesterday. Rick Sheils should have dropped his review of the club the instant it hit the shelves. i feel he being a judge, he has a bit of personal accountability (maybe not the right word) to this driver. if it fails he fails in a sense. again, i hit this driver side by side against the TS3, rogue and Ping G400 max and found it lacking.

I am going to work again tomorrow and i am going to fiddle with it some more and see if i can find something that works.

Fiddle with it. I tried it against the aforementioned also, and found it to be CRAZY good. Great directional control, and exceptional feel.

Your mileage may vary

did you buy it?

No. Wife would throw a fit this close to Christmas shopping season, unfortunately. :(

First time I've ever heard Chicago be considered as playing at elevation. I know it's higher than where Rick is from, but Chicago is not elevation.

FWIW, I see another site has a video comparison between the Cortex and G400 LST. Cortex had lower spin and higher launch. It appeared that it had lower ball speed though. I am at work, so I couldn't spend too much time watching it and listening to the audio. It's hard to pretend I am working with golf videos playing over my speakers.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

]

FWIW, I see another site has a video comparison between the Cortex and G400 LST. Cortex had lower spin and higher launch. It appeared that it had lower ball speed though. I am at work, so I couldn't spend too much time watching it and listening to the audio. It's hard to pretend I am working with golf videos playing over my speakers.

G400 LST - 161.5 MPH ball speed, 10.6° launch, 2224 spin, 279 yards carry, 304 yards total

Cortex - 158.7 MPH ball speed, 12.3° launch, 2122 spin, 278 yards carry, 301 yards total

It looks like a driver I would use but with that, I thought the crop of ideas in this DVD was very poor. The other thing is, the most innovative idea didn't even get used. Wilson went with the safest idea of them all. This driver looks like every other one. I may actually submit ideas of my own if there is a next DVD. I definitely am not the most creative person in the world, nor the smartest but I really feel like I have better and more complete ideas than any of the entries this year. We shall see how ambitious I feel this winter.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

That looked like a promising review/vid for Wilson.

Is anyone going to actually carry a Wilson driver in their bag if it's not at least 10 yards longer than there current Taylormade, Callaway, or Titleist driver.

People are going to spend a lot of time looking around to make sure no one can see them before they pull it.

Is any driver REALLY 10 yards longer than any other? If that were true, I would be carrying my driver 400 by now. For me at least, getting a new driver boils down to being bored with my current one, and looking to squeeze whatever I can forgiveness wise and length wise. Trying to find that sweet spot is the only thing that makes me want a new driver. Also, if a driver looks cool, it makes me want it. I think that is the case for a lot of people.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

It's just not that different than several other iterations that have come before it from other OEM's. Wilson may have taken the driver market by surprise had they offered this bad boy at $249 rather than $499. In short, I'd rather have a head of steam built up, great press and ongoing chatter with a driver being sold at $249 that may sell 20,000 units vs. the novelty of Driver v Driver 2's final episode airing wearing off and a driver sitting on shelves at $499 that may only produce sales of 5000 clubs.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I'm finding it quite laughable at some of comments made about Wilson as if it's the spawn of Satan.

Great golf balls, great irons and the c300 driver are all top quality.

What ever happened to innocence before being found guilty.

Don't forget everyone knows how to market a driver better than a multimillion dollar company

I'm finding it quite laughable at some of comments made about Wilson as if it's the spawn of Satan.

Don't forget everyone knows how to market a driver better than a multimillion dollar company

Again, see the Triton...

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Again, see the Triton...

What about it? What does something that happened 2 years ago have to do with now? You don't think they learned from that?

Again, see the Triton...

What about it? What does something that happened 2 years ago have to do with now? You don't think they learned from that?

That's really the only memorable marketing campaign from Wilson in recent memory. After that debacle, how can you be shocked that people are apprehensive or doubt the judgement of the company?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Again, see the Triton...

That's really the only memorable marketing campaign from Wilson in recent memory. After that debacle, how can you be shocked that people are apprehensive or doubt the judgement of the company?

So what exactly was wrong with the marketing campaign for the Triton?