2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Wilson CorTex driver

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3. These are not going to sell at all.. I feel kinda bad for Wilson.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tell em Dude!

Lots of people throwing hate towards the driver without hitting it. I reserved judgment on the Triton until I hit it. Hated it, but I at least waited to try it out. The Cortex looks awesome in my opinion. Hoepfully it performs the way it looks. I actually just purchased a Srixon z785 without even htting it. I may take advantage of Global's U try program and grab a Cortex for some side by side comparison. For only $25 for a 14 day trial it's worth a try.

I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3. These are not going to sell at all.. I feel kinda bad for Wilson.

Tell em Dude!

Lots of people throwing hate towards the driver without hitting it. I reserved judgment on the Triton until I hit it. Hated it, but I at least waited to try it out. The Cortex looks awesome in my opinion. Hoepfully it performs the way it looks. I actually just purchased a Srixon z785 without even htting it. I may take advantage of Global's U try program and grab a Cortex for some side by side comparison. For only $25 for a 14 day trial it's worth a try.

But have hit it.. a lot..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Triton was a success. It was not a good product and it was hurt from the start with the conforming issues. It wasn't cause of the marketing though.

My whole point here is stop looking at a name and base a product on what it can do or not for you. Swing it before judging it. It's priced in the same range as other drivers with similar tech. Anyways, no one here is paying MSRP for any driver from any brand.

Well, got to hold the Cortex in hand today. The head looks great. Nice round shape and the head is not to large looking. There is one problem when I picked up the club is it feels very heavy. So I took the club and swing weighted it and it came out to a D5 swing weight at 45". The head alone weighs 207g without the adapter. This clubs swings very heavy. I like my clubs on the heavier side but this is really to heavy for most weekend golfers. I don't know why Wilson doesn't offer a counter balance shaft in their custom options to help with the head heaviness. As far as looks it is a very good looking driver. Much smaller than I thought it would be.

Tell em Dude!

The UTry program has gone to sh*t IMO

They take out the full amount of the club now which wouldn’t be a big deal if it didn’t take 7-10 days AFTER you return it to get your money back, I used to use it all the time until they switched it, I won’t ever use it again.

Rented a TS2 fairway, they took out $299.99, when I returned it, it took them 11 days to give me my money back. Completely ridiculous.

Well, got to hold the Cortex in hand today. The head looks great. Nice round shape and the head is not to large looking. There is one problem when I picked up the club is it feels very heavy. So I took the club and swing weighted it and it came out to a D5 swing weight at 45". The head alone weighs 207g without the adapter. This clubs swings very heavy. I like my clubs on the heavier side but this is really to heavy for most weekend golfers. I don't know why Wilson doesn't offer a counter balance shaft in their custom options to help with the head heaviness. As far as looks it is a very good looking driver. Much smaller than I thought it would be.

Lol, everything I am seeing on this driver keeps speaking to me. I love the shape, the deep face, and now the fact that I know it's a heavy head intruiges me. I prefer to feel the club head during the whole swing.

I'm hoping that I am somehow able to try this out on the course at some point. Maybe I can sweet talk one of the sales reps into letting me take a demo head out of the store.

I look forward to more reviews.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Triton was a success. It was not a good product and it was hurt from the start with the conforming issues. It wasn't cause of the marketing though.

My whole point here is stop looking at a name and base a product on what it can do or not for you. Swing it before judging it. It's priced in the same range as other drivers with similar tech. Anyways, no one here is paying MSRP for any driver from any brand.

Sadly, that is not human nature. That's why companies spend as much as they do to portray a certain image. Whether it's right or wrong, Wilson has an uphill battle ahead of them in the driver space. If they can get this in the hands of their tour staff that'll speak volumes. If they can get a non-staffer to game it, that would be huge.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Tell em Dude!

So what. I've hit the TM M series a lot and never get a long with them. I don't go on forums and call them trash or say they are 30 yards shorter because they don't fit my swing. Of course I'll never purchase anything because of what you or anyone says anyway so it really doens't matter.

Tell em Dude!

So what. I've hit the TM M series a lot and never get a long with them. I don't go on forums and call them trash or say they are 30 yards shorter because they don't fit my swing. Of course I'll never purchase anything because of what you or anyone says anyway so it really doens't matter.

That’s the great thing about forums. We all can come here abd share our thoughts or not share them and just read what others say and make our judgement off their views and personal experiences or not.

Tell em Dude!

That is what this place is about!!. to come here and give your opinion right or wrong. Till someone actually puts their money where there mouth is and says they purchased one, this is all just internet posturing. Feigning disgust, when you yourself have zero interest in purchasing one.

i really enjoyed the show and was hoping that the cortex would have been a giant slayer.

If someone else hits it and likes it great! I am sincerely happy for them. You obviously have not read all my posts. I said that I may have been overly harsh I my initial reaction. It is fair to say that I may have been. I can accept that. and that tomorrow at the store I work at I am going to give it another try. I am trying to be objective but that was my first impression. I was not impressed in the slightest.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

All these highlighted are making a sale w/ me. :)

Based on what i am reading in this thread it is impossible for Wilson to build a good driver and the price point is way off lol.

The Atmos Tour spec shaft that i have in my Rogue was a 350 dollar up-charge in Canada. If this is in fact a real deal tour spec Fujikura and it retails in the 600 dollar cdn range then the price comparisons in this thread are slightly misleading. My Rogue in Canada with the Atmos shaft was 1K plus tax. (stock is about 650 cdn)

So the price point seems right based on the value of the shaft. Without the high end shaft then i would agree that 399 cdn would be more reasonable... then again everything up here seems to be 600 plus. If it performs i will take a serious look at it.

Wilson or any other brand doesn’t pay what we pay for aftermarket shafts when they order in bulk especially if it’s going to be a stock offering. That $300 US drops plenty when being ordered in the thousands

so my question would be why don’t all OEM’s offer drivers with real deal aftermarket shafts at that price and not 200-400 more? Titleist, Callaway, TM all guilty of selling drivers at ridiculous price points with made for shafts.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

I found interesting Wilson pros sort of were call out by someone on their IG and Brandon Steele came to answer.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Until someone gets fit for a Cortex by a good fitter, I am not really putting much credence into the opinions so far on this thread. If someone goes in with X brand driver that was fitted to them and compares it to the COrtex that was also fitted to them and gives us #'s then I'm paying close attention.

I am surprised that there are no reviews posted on YouTube yet aside from the one posted earlier. It is available for purchase already isn't it?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I am surprised that there are no reviews posted on YouTube yet aside from the one posted earlier. It is available for purchase already isn't it?

I'm assuming they were trying to keep the result under wraps and limited the amount of review heads they sent out before it aired.

Also with Shiels being a judge, I'd be surprised if he did a review video on it, so that's one of the bigger YouTubers that people would be looking for.

Based on what i am reading in this thread it is impossible for Wilson to build a good driver and the price point is way off lol.

The Atmos Tour spec shaft that i have in my Rogue was a 350 dollar up-charge in Canada. If this is in fact a real deal tour spec Fujikura and it retails in the 600 dollar cdn range then the price comparisons in this thread are slightly misleading. My Rogue in Canada with the Atmos shaft was 1K plus tax. (stock is about 650 cdn)

So the price point seems right based on the value of the shaft. Without the high end shaft then i would agree that 399 cdn would be more reasonable... then again everything up here seems to be 600 plus. If it performs i will take a serious look at it.

Wilson or any other brand doesn’t pay what we pay for aftermarket shafts when they order in bulk especially if it’s going to be a stock offering. That $300 US drops plenty when being ordered in the thousands

so my question would be why don’t all OEM’s offer drivers with real deal aftermarket shafts at that price and not 200-400 more? Titleist, Callaway, TM all guilty of selling drivers at ridiculous price points with made for shafts.

My guess is cost and possibly supply/inventory control. Their goal is to offer stock shafts that fit the masses and keep costs low. If they ordered thousands of every shaft available they could end up with inventory sitting around and his costing money. So work with a few brands to get the shafts that many could hit and place a large order. For example the HZRDUS Black, yellow, red, t1100 had HC versions and the mass prouduced versions. Cobra offered both but the hc was an upgrade because PX can only produce a small amount each day so with tour and consumer demand there no way to order those in large enough quantities.

Based on what i am reading in this thread it is impossible for Wilson to build a good driver and the price point is way off lol. The Atmos Tour spec shaft that i have in my Rogue was a 350 dollar up-charge in Canada. If this is in fact a real deal tour spec Fujikura and it retails in the 600 dollar cdn range then the price comparisons in this thread are slightly misleading. My Rogue in Canada with the Atmos shaft was 1K plus tax. (stock is about 650 cdn) So the price point seems right based on the value of the shaft. Without the high end shaft then i would agree that 399 cdn would be more reasonable... then again everything up here seems to be 600 plus. If it performs i will take a serious look at it.
My guess is cost and possibly supply/inventory control. Their goal is to offer stock shafts that fit the masses and keep costs low. If they ordered thousands of every shaft available they could end up with inventory sitting around and his costing money. So work with a few brands to get the shafts that many could hit and place a large order. For example the HZRDUS Black, yellow, red, t1100 had HC versions and the mass prouduced versions. Cobra offered both but the hc was an upgrade because PX can only produce a small amount each day so with tour and consumer demand there no way to order those in large enough quantities.

the "made for" thing has really come to an end. no one except for maybe ping uses made for shafts any more. Ping has the alta shaft, which technically is not a made for shaft it is just even "made by" ping shaft. There is not a single driver by a major brand out right now on the shelf that has a made for shaft in it. Meaning it is made to look like a top shelf shaft, but has been tweaked to keep costs down.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

That is what this place is about!!. to come here and give your opinion right or wrong. Till someone actually puts their money where there mouth is and says they purchased one, this is all just internet posturing. Faining disgust, when you yourself have zero interest in purchasing one.

i really enjoyed the show and was hoping that the cortex would have been a giant slayer.

If someone else hits it and likes it great! I am sincerely happy for them. You obviously have not read all my posts. I said that I may have been overly harsh I my initial reaction. It is fair to say that I may have been. I can accept that. and that tomorrow at the store I work at I am going to give it another try. I am trying to be objective but that was my first impression. I was not impressed in the slightest.

My Honorary Aussie friend, you were the first(?) to have tested it. You also are in the biz, no ?

You are experienced enough to know, as someone earlier pointed out, that it's virtually impossible for a driver to be a full 30 yards shorter than another unless it is very poorly fit, no ? And yes, I realize you backpedaled a bit but,,,,,,,,,,

"I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3"

Psssssst - and BTW, it's "feign". I mostly don't bother with typos anymore since it annoys so many people, even if it's done kidding around but, that's twice you've used "fain" so it probably wasn't a typo. :) ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

That is what this place is about!!. to come here and give your opinion right or wrong. Till someone actually puts their money where there mouth is and says they purchased one, this is all just internet posturing. Faining disgust, when you yourself have zero interest in purchasing one.

My Aussie friend, you were the first(?) to have tested it. You also are in the biz, no ?

You are experienced enough to know, as someone earlier pointed out, that it's virtually impossible for a driver to be a full 30 yards shorter than another unless it is very poorly fit, no ? And yes, I realize you backpedaled a bit but,,,,,,,,,,

"I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3"

Psssssst - and BTW, it's "feign". I mostly don't bother with typos anymore since it annoys so many people, even if it's done kidding around but, that's twice you've used "fain" so it probably wasn't a typo. :) ;)

I am not Australian. haha and i dont mind being corrected. thank you.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

My Aussie friend, you were the first(?) to have tested it. You also are in the biz, no ?

OK, fixed it. :D

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

you do bring up an interesting point. by a show of hands :good: , how many have actually tried this driver??

BALL; Chrome Soft X

you do bring up an interesting point. by a show of hands :good: , how many have actually tried this driver??

:good:

The Atmos and I don't get along. I'll try it again when I can use a different shaft

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Price point = laughable. Maybe they will have a putter vs putter and take on Scotty Cameron in the $350 milled putter market. :taunt: :taunt:

THE ONLY way for them to be taken seriously is if they convince aka pay for a top talent on the PGA Tour and get a stable of guys that actually appear on TV. Regardless of what you think, player endorsements matter.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Price point = laughable. Maybe they will have a putter vs putter and take on Scotty Cameron in the $350 milled putter market. :taunt: :taunt:

that would be interesting. but, not an apples to apples comparison. Putters charge big numbers even more so because of brand recognition not because of technology or performance. Pretty much all putters milled from a solid block have a very very similar feel and performance.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Based on what i am reading in this thread it is impossible for Wilson to build a good driver and the price point is way off lol. The Atmos Tour spec shaft that i have in my Rogue was a 350 dollar up-charge in Canada. If this is in fact a real deal tour spec Fujikura and it retails in the 600 dollar cdn range then the price comparisons in this thread are slightly misleading. My Rogue in Canada with the Atmos shaft was 1K plus tax. (stock is about 650 cdn) So the price point seems right based on the value of the shaft. Without the high end shaft then i would agree that 399 cdn would be more reasonable... then again everything up here seems to be 600 plus. If it performs i will take a serious look at it.

the "made for" thing has really come to an end. no one except for maybe ping uses made for shafts any more. Ping has the alta shaft, which technically is not a made for shaft it is just even "made by" ping shaft. There is not a single driver by a major brand out right now on the shelf that has a made for shaft in it. Meaning it is made to look like a top shelf shaft, but has been tweaked to keep costs down.

Agree. Ping is probably the only as you mentioned. They just design for what they want from the driver then use a couple companies to make the shaft for them and put on their color scheme.