Too Cold For Senior Play

rony

I moved to DFW from Long Island because my Oldest son is here. I'm 77 and still have a very solid game and play a lot of golf but I just can't take cold weather anymore. It's much colder here than I thought it would be in the Fall/Winter. For other Seniors on the forum, what temperature does it have to reach before you can play? Just curious if it's me or what. Brrrr here right now! :WTF:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not near ur age, but 35* is my pt., but most important gotta be what the wind chill factor makes it feel like at tee off time, so, if it "feels like" 35* & under, then forget about it (& I live in Brooklyn, NY, so I can relate to your winter pains!)... how cold is it right now over there? It can't be less than 40* at sunrise, right?

Im not near ur age, but 35* is my pt., but most important gotta be what the wind chill factor makes it feel like at tee off time, so, if it "feels like" 35* & under, then forget about it (& I live in Brooklyn, NY, so I can relate to your winter pains!)... how cold is it right now over there? It can't be less than 40* at sunrise, right?

Hey Alfie: I was born in Jamaica, Queens and lived in Huntington for 66 years, so I know NY weather. It is totally different here. Different weather patterns and they change by the hour. To be fair, overall it comes out in favor of TX for year-round golf. It may be my age and the normal changes that occur as you get older. I'm still single digit @ 6200 yards. If I couldn't play well, it would be no big deal, but I still play well and .....We can't control how long that is gonna last! (LOL) In NY I used to play in 40-degree weather with no problem as long as there was no wind and of course no snow on the ground. Maybe I'm spoiled now. It seems that I don't want to play unless it is over 60 degrees now. Over 70 degrees is even better! (LOL) It was 44 degrees when I woke up this AM so I canceled. Funny thing is, the guy on the desk told me that lots of guys were canceling so I guess we ARE just spoiled down here!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Hey Rony...our group has guys from the 30's to the 70's and age doesn't make much of a difference. The 30 y/o's don't like to play when it's below 40. As a senile 60+ year old, I'll play above 30 as long as it's sunny with minimal wind. Enjoy!

Hey DP4: WOW! You guys are tough!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Hey Rony...our group has guys from the 30's to the 70's and age doesn't make much of a difference. The 30 y/o's don't like to play when it's below 40. As a senile 60+ year old, I'll play above 30 as long as it's sunny with minimal wind. Enjoy!

Senile is the operative word Sir.

If the day is sunny and windless, can play into the lower 40's. Can layer up in appropriate clothing (base layer, turtleneck, fleece, wind jacket, warm headgear) to ward off the chill. Even more so if I'm walking, the core temp rises sufficiently to stay reasonably comfortable. Have a pair of hiking shoes that I wear to keep my feet warm and dry. As long as I do not have to wear winter gloves, or bulky layers, while swinging a club I'm usually good to go.

Given the option, do not find any enjoyment playing colder than that. Playing crappy golf AND freezing my a** off while so doing doesn't make much sense to me. Sometimes have to play in the cold on early season league nights. Climatic conditions that force adaptation. Perhaps may feel differently about cold weather when I get old(er). I'm only 67. Plus, I get a several months respite from playing. So have learned to become semi-tolerant of occasional cold weather golf. Funny how 45* in early March feels warmer than 45* in late October.

I can dress to stay warm. Cannot undress sufficiently to stay cool while playing when it's 95*+.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I am only 50 but have noticed a serious decline in my cold weather play/power over the past 3 years. Anytime it's under 50 degrees I'm losing serious distance to younger guys i keep up with or hit it past in warmer conditions. A few nagging injuries and osteoarthritis dont help.

I currently live in NJ but am thankfully moving to FL very soon.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Senile is the operative word Sir.

Hah Ha....That's good!

Most of my crew follow the Sammy Hagar rule...don`t drive under 55 *

THAT...Is a good rule!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

If the day is sunny and windless, can play into the lower 40's. Can layer up in appropriate clothing (base layer, turtleneck, fleece, wind jacket, warm headgear) to ward off the chill. Even more so if I'm walking, the core temp rises sufficiently to stay reasonably comfortable. Have a pair of hiking shoes that I wear to keep my feet warm and dry. As long as I do not have to wear winter gloves, or bulky layers, while swinging a club I'm usually good to go.

Given the option, do not find any enjoyment playing colder than that. Playing crappy golf AND freezing my a** off while so doing doesn't make much sense to me. Sometimes have to play in the cold on early season league nights. Climatic conditions that force adaptation. Perhaps may feel differently about cold weather when I get old(er). I'm only 67. Plus, I get a several months respite from playing. So have learned to become semi-tolerant of occasional cold weather golf. Funny how 45* in early March feels warmer than 45* in late October.

I can dress to stay warm. Cannot undress sufficiently to stay cool while playing when it's 95*+.

45* in March vs 45* in October I think is absolutely a key point! Thanks!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

55 is my cutoff. The two courses I play most are closed here in Wisconsin anyway. Next round is going to be in Florida during vacation, then sometime in April after that. Unless like 2018, 2019 brings us an April Blizzard. Then all bets are off. I didn't get started this year because of the conditions (cold & wet) until the end of May. Hoping for better things...

I am only 50 but have noticed a serious decline in my cold weather play/power over the past 3 years. Anytime it's under 50 degrees I'm losing serious distance to younger guys i keep up with or hit it past in warmer conditions. A few nagging injuries and osteoarthritis dont help.

I currently live in NJ but am thankfully moving to FL very soon.

It only gets worse. Good luck on your move.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

When that north wind comes in off the Irish Sea..... Yikes its cold. The wind chill kills me even at 41....once its at - 0c and below golf starts getting tough!

OUCH! So True!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I live in the TX Panhandle at 3600 ft. Near constant wind, but on a calm day, walking, I can go to about 50*. I'm 68, any colder than that and it becomes more work than fun.

Correct. And then, that wind is also tough to deal with, but Texas guys who are used to that wind have an extra tool in their bag!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

55 is my cutoff. The two courses I play most are closed here in Wisconsin anyway. Next round is going to be in Florida during vacation, then sometime in April after that. Unless like 2018, 2019 brings us an April Blizzard. Then all bets are off. I didn't get started this year because of the conditions (cold & wet) until the end of May. Hoping for better things...

Yeah, I copy. It was a tough year weatherwise all around the country.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I'm 70 y/o and with the sun out/little to no wind low 40's is still fine golf weather.

Check! 7 years ago I would have agreed with you!

Played last week and temperature was probably high 40's. Got paired up with a guy who was 86- and he shot his age.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Rony... 44* & u and a bunch of your fellow golf course players called to cancel tee off? Man... u aint kidding... u guys just dont wanna deal with "nippy" weather anymore... I'm so jealous! Package some of that "tropical" weather & send it over to us here in NY... we are currently in a bit of a cold snap, heading towards colder days ahead!

Hey Alfie: I was born in Jamaica, Queens and lived in Huntington for 66 years, so I know NY weather. It is totally different here. Different weather patterns and they change by the hour. To be fair, overall it comes out in favor of TX for year-round golf. It may be my age and the normal changes that occur as you get older. I'm still single digit @ 6200 yards. If I couldn't play well, it would be no big deal, but I still play well and .....We can't control how long that is gonna last! (LOL) In NY I used to play in 40-degree weather with no problem as long as there was no wind and of course no snow on the ground. Maybe I'm spoiled now. It seems that I don't want to play unless it is over 60 degrees now. Over 70 degrees is even better! (LOL) It was 44 degrees when I woke up this AM so I canceled. Funny thing is, the guy on the desk told me that lots of guys were canceling so I guess we ARE just spoiled down here!

I haven't posted in quite a while due to relocating from NY to TX, due to everything and anything that involves such a monumental task for a senior guy to do alone that is required for such an endeavor. Accordingly, I have not kept up with changes that may have been implemented on the forum with regard to replying and/or posting on a topic. I received some type of message indicating that I had reached a limit of ....(SOMETHING), which I would assume affects my ability to further reply or something of that nature. SO, if I didn't reply to your post, that is the reason. I like to acknowledge anyone's reply as a simple courtesy for taking the time to do so. The ability to quote or not quote is confusing to me because that is something that has changed. I go way back to when Golfwrx first was set up online. That was a while ago and I have become memory challenged to a certain degree as pertains to these type of things. So if you posted, I read it, and thank you. Best to all, Rony :sorry:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I'm 75, will play unless the wind chill gets below 40. Biggest mistake I made is when I quit golf 5 yrs. ago, gave my cart cover and propane heater to a widow. I will miss it this winter.

Ping G410+ 10.5
Ping G400SFT 3W, 5W 7W
Mavrik 6-GW
Cleveland CBX 52, Titliest SM8 57
Odyssey DoubleWide F LStrokelab

I don't like playing frost greens but am unconcerned about the temperature or wind chill on an exposed Morecambe bay course, open to the vagaries of all western and northern aspects. Provided we can scamper round in under three hours and no standing around, keeping the blood circulating is not problematic. A little winter 'antifreeze' helps, Rusty Nail is preferred!

Hold up. Big difference between when it's 18 outside and you're projecting ahead at the extended 10 day forecast. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. And for the record, I didn't say no...

I don't like playing frost greens but am unconcerned about the temperature or wind chill on an exposed Morecambe bay course, open to the vagaries of all western and northern aspects. Provided we can scamper round in under three hours and no standing around, keeping the blood circulating is not problematic. A little winter 'antifreeze' helps, Rusty Nail is preferred!

Brandy and hip flask is needed!