2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Seems Awfully Quiet Around Here

Naptime

There will soon be threads about the best winter ball, should I put together a set of winter clubs, how many majors will Tiger win in 2019, and Brandel Chamblee hate threads. Soon to be followed up with threads about how much snow is on the ground and how to deal with cabin fever.

Teenagers will start threads about what clubs they received for Christmas, soon to be followed by what equipment should be bought with tax return money.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys need to go the Club Tech forum and read the thread on a CC fitting and build estimate. Tom Wishon is even getting called out by someone.

That one's pretty good. One of my favorites of all time from the club builder's forum was someone calling Wishon out for not knowing jack about how adjustable hosels work. lol. Dude invented them, but yeah sure okay whatever.

You guys need to go the Club Tech forum and read the thread on a CC fitting and build estimate. Tom Wishon is even getting called out by someone.

That one's pretty good. One of my favorites of all time from the club builder's forum was someone calling Wishon out for not knowing jack about how adjustable hosels work. lol. Dude invented them, but yeah sure okay whatever.

Tom just threw the gauntlet down in that thread. EPIC post.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Awww, there's my baby. Such an ugly little duckling :D

Well, yes, but probably very effective. I'd rather see someone sole their putter and check the alignment, than try to get their sharpie line on the ball just right.

Ya know, it's interesting... I putt side saddle with it, and never really thought to do that behind the ball as an alignment.

The shaft is graphite and 33.5" and the head is very heavy, so when I realized it could stand on it's own, I'd just leave it standing on the green while I chip, or after I hole out. I may have to consider using it to visualize the line.

Thanks!

Love the design by the way. Nothing better than using something you made. I was only kidding about opinder being the maker.

Lol all good. It's really quality milling by my buddy. It was supposed to be a test rig of sorts. Zero loft, exact width of the hole to help align the putt.

What's funny, is now that I am trying to look at the hole when I putt, I don't have to give two craps what it looks like!

Thanks for that. Great lunch read. I love the guy who claims not to represent CC but then uses words like “we” and have previous posts claiming he does represent CC. Priceless

I mean, grooves are nice and all, but if the goal is to impart the same amount of energy to the ball, even on mishits, why not just make the mishit areas transfer more energy than the sweet spot? Ie, different materials or variable face thickness?

FWIW, Wishon and I traded messages and he thought my idea had merit. Again, it just comes down to cost and precision of 3D printing. Right now, the precision is not there to do what I want to do.

But when the technology is there, I'm ready to pounce, and you bet your a** I will have data to back it up.

EDIT: In the meantime, I may have to mill a slot in my custom putter for a DCT insert... good idea!

Couldn't you mill yourself three (or five?) bars of a few different materials, each a few inches in length, then braze them together lengthwise, then take that combined bar and slice it crosswise into a few dozen inserts? Like build a sandwich with, say, copper or brass in the middle, then nickel or steel on either side of that, then titanium or hardened steel on either side of that. Seems like that would be quicker, easier, and more precise than 3D printing, though you'd be working only with metal inserts rather than getting to screw around with polymers.

That's for sure a most cost-effective solution. And you could test the rebound effect of each metal by dropping a ball onto the face. I like this concept and I have a friend who could probably make it happen for me. Thanks!

I did not include that the other side of the 3D printing coin was to be able to print custom head shapes, sight lines, lettering, weight distribution, etc. Rather than milling them. You can literally create pockets of air inside 3D printed metal parts that can't be done with milling.

Obviously, my bad for leaving that out of the post haha.

Quiet? Mrs. Pelz must be in the mood!

Yeah like THAT's gonna happen.

Hawk, when is the unveiling of the Steve and Eydie pic this year?

Day after Thanksgiving!

Swinging to Steve and Eydie = holiday romance!

Stuck in a hotel with limited cable so was disappointed to miss the NIU game last night - tough loss, but they are doing better than my Hawkeyes.

Tiger is greatest of all time, then Jack, then Snead, then Arnold.

What in the world did Bobby Jones ever do to you to deserve such a cruel snub?

How far did he hit his 7 iron?

See?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

bobby couldn't even rub two nickels together with his professional winnings.

such an underachiever, $$$$-wise.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Did that thread get locked??? I was reading it yesterday, but can't find it today.

If you have the link, please post if for me????

Many thanx

How far did he hit his 7 iron?

See?

You mean his mashie niblick. Or Beatrice as I’m sure You know it was named.

(Totally made up ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There will soon be threads about the best winter ball, should I put together a set of winter clubs, how many majors will Tiger win in 2019, and Brandel Chamblee hate threads. Soon to be followed up with threads about how much snow is on the ground and how to deal with cabin fever.

Teenagers will start threads about what clubs they received for Christmas, soon to be followed by what equipment should be bought with tax return money.

Do we need to adapt "The Circle of Life" from the Lion King to the Circle of Golf?

Quiet? Mrs. Pelz must be in the mood!

Yeah like THAT's gonna happen.

Hawk, when is the unveiling of the Steve and Eydie pic this year?

Day after Thanksgiving!

Swinging to Steve and Eydie = holiday romance!

Stuck in a hotel with limited cable so was disappointed to miss the NIU game last night - tough loss, but they are doing better than my Hawkeyes.

Let me sum up what you missed.

That's it.

Bobby Jones. Why? Because he opened Augusta National and started the Masters?

His grand slam had two amateur events and was "the slam of the time." In scale, those 4 wins are not comparable to the modern slam or the Tiger Slam.

Jones is certainly an influential and respected figure in the sport but his game is not relevant in a greatest golfer of all time conversation.

He's fighting Phil for 17 on my list. And he's lucky to be there.

Did that thread get locked??? I was reading it yesterday, but can't find it today.

If you have the link, please post if for me????

Many thanx

I’d link if I weren’t basically technology illiterate August, but it’s still there in the Club Tech forum. Title starts out with “Still Stunned”.

And another big, very informative post from Tom. Worth finding it.

His grand slam had two amateur events and was "the slam of the time." In scale, those 4 wins are not comparable to the modern slam or the Tiger Slam.

Jones is certainly an influential and respected figure in the sport but his game is not relevant in a greatest golfer of all time conversation.

Blasphemer! Yet, a healthy dose of reality.

RemorsefulSharpFowl-max-1mb.gif

Can we see this list?

1 Jack Nicklaus 2 Tiger Woods 3 Sam Snead 4 Arnold Palmer 5 Gary Player 6 Ben Hogan 7 Byron Nelson 8 Walter Hagen 9 Gene Sarazen 10 Billy Casper 11 Harry Vardon 12 Lee Trevino 13 Tom Watson 14 Nick Faldo 15 Steve Ballesteros 16 Greg Norman 17 Bobby Jones 18 Phil Mickelson 19 Gary Middlecoff 20 Willie Anderson 21 Raymond Floyd 22 Hale Irwin 23 Tommy Armour 24 Julius Boros 25 Lloyd Mangrum

Like the list. I'd probably have Jones behind Phil, lol. Player deserves the spot and doesn't get there on a lot of lists. I'd put Watson ahead of Trevino. Vardon is an interesting one. Might move Mangrum up. Just me, though.

Give me time and I'll figure out where to get Peter Thomson in there and he'd be up the list.

Bobby Jones for me is a tough one and I can go back and forth.

Good list Ferg. I planned to remind you of Mangrum. But you got him and Steve in there. lol.

Probably have Phil up close to top 10 in my list if you consider how much more he’d have won if tiger was never a pro. But that’s just me.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Like the list. I'd probably have Jones behind Phil, lol. Player deserves the spot and doesn't get there on a lot of lists. I'd put Watson ahead of Trevino. Vardon is an interesting one. Might move Mangrum up. Just me, though.

Give me time and I'll figure out where to get Peter Thomson in there and he'd be up the list.

It's a list, made in aggregate, that covers multiple eras and varied points in time.

An argument can be made as follows:

In his time - Jones was the best.

In his time - Hogan was the best.

Okay, I get it - but we must rank "considering the aggregate."

Peter Thompson

T-14

Good list Ferg. I planned to remind you of Mangrum. But you got him and Steve in there. lol.

Probably have Phil up close to top 10 in my list if you consider how much more he'd have won if tiger was never a pro. But that's just me.

1 major and 3 regular tour events. But more importantly, the career slam :-)

9964514.jpg

Re: Probably have Phil up close to top 10 in my list if you consider how much more he'd have won if tiger was never a pro. But that's just me.

Did Tiger "prevent" anyone from succeeding? I think not.

Tiger controlled his own actions, and not the actions of others.

I think Phil would be exactly where he is today with or without Tiger.

Phil is a bad decision-maker on and off the course. This is not opinion.

He is in love with the fame and fortune that being a great player has afforded him (and that's fine).

Tiger played to win.

Phil played for a pat on the back and a paycheck.

In the FWIW category, and since we are all complaining about it being slow, I thought that I would drop this jewel into the conversation.

Now, for full disclosure, I was an Evans Scholarship recipient, so maybe I'm just a little bit jaded.

And, I also truly appreciate Fergie's position of players being the best of their time, considering peers, equipment, etc.

Mr. Evans played during a period approximately a century ago, which highlights truly how far the game, equipment, agronomy, etc have come in the past 100 years.

I wish that I had the opportunity to have thanked him personally for what he has done to change the lives of thousands of caddies through his scholarship program, so I will honor him through this post, and hope that, if you were not familiar with Charles "Chick" Evans before, that now you have a bit of what I consider really important golf history.

DavePelz4 and Argonne, I'm pretty sure, are aware of Mr. Evans, since the Western Golf Association is practically in their back yards, in Golf, Illinois,not too far from Northwestern University.

Enjoy, and if I'm not back on the boards for a week or so....everybody, hold off on the third helping of Thanksgiving offerings, or you'll be forced to go through another fitting to accomodate your now flatter swing, due to expanded waist line.

Mr. Evans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_Evans

So, while I respect the golf games of Mr, Nicklaus, Mr. Snead, Mr. Woods, Mr. Hogan, et al....Mr. Evans will always be #1 in my list of GOAT.

1 Jack Nicklaus 2 Tiger Woods 3 Sam Snead 4 Arnold Palmer 5 Gary Player 6 Ben Hogan 7 Byron Nelson 8 Walter Hagen 9 Gene Sarazen 10 Billy Casper 11 Harry Vardon 12 Lee Trevino 13 Tom Watson 14 Nick Faldo 15 Steve Ballesteros 16 Greg Norman 17 Bobby Jones 18 Phil Mickelson 19 Gary Middlecoff 20 Willie Anderson 21 Raymond Floyd 22 Hale Irwin 23 Tommy Armour 24 Julius Boros 25 Lloyd Mangrum

Who are Steve Ballesteros & Gary Middlecoff? I'm not familiar with their careers.

In the FWIW category, and since we are all complaining about it being slow, I thought that I would drop this jewel into the conversation.

Now, for full disclosure, I was an Evans Scholarship recipient, so maybe I'm just a little bit jaded.

And, I also truly appreciate Fergie's position of players being the best of their time, considering peers, equipment, etc.

Mr. Evans played during a period approximately a century ago, which highlights truly how far the game, equipment, agronomy, etc have come in the past 100 years.

I wish that I had the opportunity to have thanked him personally for what he has done to change the lives of thousands of caddies through his scholarship program, so I will honor him through this post, and hope that, if you were not familiar with Charles "Chick" Evans before, that now you have a bit of what I consider really important golf history.

DavePelz4 and Argonne, I'm pretty sure, are aware of Mr. Evans, since the Western Golf Association is practically in their back yards, in Golf, Illinois,not too far from Northwestern University.

Enjoy, and if I'm not back on the boards for a week or so....everybody, hold off on the third helping of Thanksgiving offerings, or you'll be forced to go through another fitting to accomodate your now flatter swing, due to expanded waist line.

Mr. Evans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_Evans

So, while I respect the golf games of Mr, Nicklaus, Mr. Snead, Mr. Woods, Mr. Hogan, et al....Mr. Evans will always be #1 in my list of GOAT.

The Western Golf Association is appropriately HQ'd in Golf, IL a quaint little village north of Chicago. We've participated in quite a few fund raisers for them and have 2 friends' sons who were beneficiaries of the scholarships. Wonderful program!