Why have I not tried Srixon irons before?!?

DaveMc82

Seriously I cannot believe how the Srixon irons are still so far under the radar. I’ve been itching to change my irons for a while and move back into forged players irons for a while from the Callaway X22 tours I’ve been on for the last 6-7 years. Prior to playing them I’d been on MP32s and only changed when I had my swing decimated by an awful professional.

Finances aren’t exactly strong supporting my wife through college for a 3rd stint and used was the only option. I’d read loads of rave reviews on here of Srixon forgings but I’d never even seen a srixon iron in the flesh. Just by chance a set of ZTX2 4-pw in project x 6.5 came up at less than half my budget in mint condition with brand new grips. They had to be worth a shot.

Wow just wow!! They remind me of my MP32s yet better feeling and 1.5 clubs longer. They make the Callaways look like they were defective with the distance comparison. The control of distance, dispersion and trajectory is easily the best I’ve hit. The best thing is they were $170 delivered.

The hardest thing now will be getting a 50/56 wedge set that stands up next to them. Recommendations would be very welcome.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Srixon wasn't always the easiest to find and demo. I feel like they are making their way onto the scene now with some more availability in more areas which I think will open a lot of eyes to how good forged irons can feel. Congrats on the pickup and enjoy them!

I just went to a 50/56 myself and grabbed some RTX4s... love the 50, but the low bounce on the 56 has me confused at times. I have been enjoying my SM6 Vokeys, too, and they have some more bounce/grind options. Depends on what conditions you play on really, but most wedges nowadays are good, just comes down to personal preference.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

yeah they make solid clubs.

only thing that disappoints me about em is that theyre made/forged in taiwan not japan. but only i could possibly be bothered by a detail like that.

Taiwan is known for some of the highest-quality, state of the art manufacturing in the world. Their laser-welded bike frames and overall tight tolerances in factories are known among cyclists. Plenty of technical skill to forge golf heads. Ahead of China overall in quality — China has both ends of the quality spectrum — and unlikely there is any dropoff from the Japan-forged heads.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I just ordered a set of Z585's after the comments I've read on this forum. Never ever touched a Srixon club so this is a real shot in the dark for me, but from what I've read, I think they will be a perfect option for me. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

I've tried a lot of the big OEM clubs and just left a little wanting, so Srixon might be just the ticket. If not, there's always eBay.

I just ordered a set of Z585's after the comments I've read on this forum. Never ever touched a Srixon club so this is a real shot in the dark for me, but from what I've read, I think they will be a perfect option for me. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

I've tried a lot of the big OEM clubs and just left a little wanting, so Srixon might be just the ticket. If not, there's always eBay.

What have you been playing?

I've considered doing the same. Moving back to the States in Feb. Thinking I might grab a set during holiday deals. I'd love to try them and the 785 first though as a combination set sounds intriguing to me.

only thing that disappoints me about em is that theyre made/forged in taiwan not japan. but only i could possibly be bothered by a detail like that.

Both the Srixon Z-TX and Z-TX2 were forged in Japan. The op picked up the Z-TX2's. The original Z-TX was a planned release to NA, although green grass accounts only at the time, circa 2010. The Z-TX2 were not a planned release for NA. Only Tour and Asia, but after some demand was seen after Graeme Mcdowell showed up with them in Hawaii circa 2011, Srixon went ahead and distributed sets in limited number to NA. They've been floating around Ebay for years ever since. They were both Endo forged in Japan. Remember, those were about the last days when irons were actually forged in Japan and made their way here from a few different OEM's. I am not sure exactly where Srixon is getting their forgings done nowadays, some report Endo/Thailand like Bridgestone, but this is the first I have heard Taiwan.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Both the Srixon Z-TX and Z-TX2 were forged in Japan. The op picked up the Z-TX2's. The original Z-TX was a planned release to NA, although green grass accounts only at the time, circa 2010. The Z-TX2 were not a planned release for NA. Only Tour and Asia, but after some demand was seen after Graeme Mcdowell showed up with them in Hawaii circa 2011, Srixon went ahead and distributed sets in limited number to NA. They've been floating around Ebay for years ever since. They were both Endo forged in Japan. Remember, those were about the last days when irons were actually forged in Japan and made their way here from a few different OEM's. I am not sure exactly where Srixon is getting their forgings done nowadays, some report Endo/Thailand like Bridgestone, but this is the first I have heard Taiwan.

Dropping some knowledge, wow! Thanks for the background. Always amazes me how much collective knowledge on this forum.

Probably i500s: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1704548-love-my-ping-i500s-heres-why/

anyone compare the new srixon irons to the 765 in terms of forgiveness

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Recently, I've been playing the Ping i500. I like them a lot but still searching for the ultimate weapon to attack the golf course. LOL I also might need a little more forgiveness than the i500 can provide.

anyone compare the new srixon irons to the 765 in terms of forgiveness

The new ones are definitely more compact. I’ve seen posts that say the 785 long irons are a little less forgiving, but I cannot confirm yet. I have a set of 785’s on hand and have only hit two of them — real bad streak of weather plus travel — and I am grabbing a set of used 765’s. You’ll recall that some knocked the z65 series as too round and a bigger profile in the short irons, but to me those were positives and I played the 965’s no problem — down to the 6 iron. Was more inconsistent with the 5. But I still say there are 3 forged musclebacks that are much easier to hit than most people expect — the 945, 965 and Mizuno MP5.

But all in all I seem to align shots better with a straight leading edge against a rounder topline and toe so the Srixons are perfect. Went away from Srixon and tried others but have returned and it is what I will game this upcoming season. Just not sure if it will be the 765 or 785. I will play the 965 PW because I really like it. I like Ping and Mizuno irons as well and have much experience with both but the Srixons are right up there with them.

I want to test both the 765 and 785 and will go with one set and sell the other. The long and mid irons will be a factor. In terms of looks I like both so it is about relative comfort with the respective blade lengths and how I hit the 5-8 irons.

The utility irons are fantastic too.

The irons are beautiful and feel great, but what about the new driver? 60 day money back guarantee, straighter and longer than this year's big three... Should I buy one?

If you do, please report back with specs and stats. I've been playing the Rogue since the beginning of the year and had good luck with it. Had the Epic before that and had terrible luck with it. Always looking for more distance... when you get to my age even 10 more yards is a big deal.

I had never heard of the ZTX-2 and after finding some pictures of some, all I can say is wow. Those are awesome

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

keep us posted with the results, i currenly own 765 and love them. Wondering if it is worth the upgrade.

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I had never heard of the ZTX-2 and after finding some pictures of some, all I can say is wow. Those are awesome

The 1st thing they reminded me of were Mizuno Tzoid pro irons with the huge chunk of weight behind the sweet spot. The biggest difference being that the Srixons looked crafted rather than constructed as an engineer’s tool, as the tzoids did.

I can honestly say I’m looking out for a spare set now to keep for when these have had their day.

Everything about their clubs is class. Where I live, Srixon is non-existent and I seem to be the only one playing their irons.

if not for the internet Srixon's presence would be minimal in the U S. I had to go to Hagen oaks in Sacramento to get fitted.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Seriously I cannot believe how the Srixon irons are still so far under the radar. I’ve been itching to change my irons for a while and move back into forged players irons for a while from the Callaway X22 tours I’ve been on for the last 6-7 years. Prior to playing them I’d been on MP32s and only changed when I had my swing decimated by an awful professional.

Finances aren’t exactly strong supporting my wife through college for a 3rd stint and used was the only option. I’d read loads of rave reviews on here of Srixon forgings but I’d never even seen a srixon iron in the flesh. Just by chance a set of ZTX2 4-pw in project x 6.5 came up at less than half my budget in mint condition with brand new grips. They had to be worth a shot.

Wow just wow!! They remind me of my MP32s yet better feeling and 1.5 clubs longer. They make the Callaways look like they were defective with the distance comparison. The control of distance, dispersion and trajectory is easily the best I’ve hit. The best thing is they were $170 delivered.

The hardest thing now will be getting a 50/56 wedge set that stands up next to them. Recommendations would be very welcome.

Ztx2 are my back ups.. 3rd go round and I finally learned.. They go. Well w the rotex 2.0 and cand be had for cheap if you look

keep us posted with the results, i currenly own 765 and love them. Wondering if it is worth the upgrade.

The 2s are actually an older set..

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

I’ve been pushing Srixon on this site for ages, at every opportunity. They make exceptional equipment and for me they have found the secret of delivering player like appearance with distance and forgiveness. I don’t know if it’s the extra blade length, the grooves, the sole but the 765s I just purchased are brilliant.

I previously had the 545 and was concerned that the 7s would be too much club but they are fine. I also was a fan of the squarer 45 series but once you put the irons in play that all goes away.

I play a combo set now with the 7 iron up in the 965. Again forgiveness is fine and distance for a blade is right up there.

In terms of matching wedges lots of people will go for the RTX. I had the 2.0 series but recently purchased the TaylorMade Milled Grind wedges in 50, 54 and 58. They are much squarer than the Srixons but again that goes away pretty quickly once you put them in play.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

The 1st thing they reminded me of were Mizuno Tzoid pro irons with the huge chunk of weight behind the sweet spot. The biggest difference being that the Srixons looked crafted rather than constructed as an engineer’s tool, as the tzoids did.

I can honestly say I’m looking out for a spare set now to keep for when these have had their day.

Tne Cleveland Rotex 2.0 wedges would gp well with those. No v-sole on tne 2.0 and available kn MB or CB. Probably can find new ones cheap now tnat these are two releases past. If you like or want a v-sole, I really like the RTX4 over the RTX3. I have a RTX4 58 Low grind in the bag.

Still occasionally game his Srixon ztx irons, but while he liked the new look of the z745 and beyond, he never demo’d the new lines because he is not a v sole fan. He loved the look of the new Hogans too but again the v sole. Just did not work for JP. Always loved his ztx, posted some great scores with them. Much better clubs than anyone expected now kinda forgotten. Was disappointed by the Srixon woods and drivers over the years, never the longest nor most forgiving, just sort of middle pack. Nice looking tho....

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I believe my first set of forged CBs almost 10 years ago were the Srixon I 302s, they were great. Then, I moved on to Bridgestones J33 CBs, always thought of Srixon irons as very good quality clubs but did not like some of their designs. Now, I just purchased a set of Srixon Z 765s, have yet to try them but they look very good. Bigger than the J33 CBs but might just be what I am looking for, forged goodness with forgiveness.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5* Driver
Taylor Made Stealth 2 16.5* Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids 21* & 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter