Beginners Question - Out of Bounds

Tour50

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the treed grassy area between two parallel fairways automatically OB off the tee? Even if there's no white stakes?

Regards,

Dan

Unless it’s annotated on the card, you are good to go. OB has to be marked by white stakes or something else showing its OB. On course OB, like you describe, will most always have staked or a while line.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Here's the part I need to understand.

"Out of bounds is beyond the boundaries of the course or any part of the course marked by the committee"

Does means mean unless it's clearly marked with white stakes or signs that it's not OB?

Regards,

Dan

In general there will be white stakes to define OB even if there are obvious signs like fences, public roads, bushes that define a homeowner's backyard (and therefore the course), etc.

Usually, if any of these cases exist where there aren't any white stakes it'll be spelled out on the scorecard. Most course boundaries are pretty clear.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

"Out of bounds is beyond the boundaries of the course or any part of the course marked by the committee"

Does means mean unless it's clearly marked with white stakes or signs that it's not OB?

@nsxguy responded already.

Regarding you OP question. The area between two parallel fairways is not "automatic OB", nor is the other fairway.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Regards,

Dan

In general there will be white stakes to define OB even if there are obvious signs like fences, public roads, bushes that define a homeowner's backyard (and therefore the course), etc.

Usually, if any of these cases exist where there aren't any white stakes it'll be spelled out on the scorecard. Most course boundaries are pretty clear.

I had an experience in SE Asia while my tee shot went off the fairway but clearly playable, the caddies reminded me to tee off again, told me the lone white pole between the fairway and the next adjacent fairway marked the OB line.

It's called "on course OB ".

Is the treed grassy area between two parallel fairways automatically OB off the tee? Even if there's no white stakes?

Regards,

Dan

Parallel fairways unless two separate courses is good, and that is normally marked to show the separation I play a course where there are somewhat parallel fairways from two different courses but they aren’t marked to show the separation so we as a local committee play them as in play.

Regards,

Dan

I had an experience in SE Asia while my tee shot went off the fairway but clearly playable, the caddies reminded me to tee off again, told me the lone white pole between the fairway and the next adjacent fairway marked the OB line.

Been there (literally) and seen that.

But there was a white pole then. So it was marked.

Personally I HATE "on course OB".

My home club had that at one time. The COURSE itself didn't have it marked (or on the card) but our club didn't want people taking shortcuts (or what they thought were shortcuts) and playing into the wrong fairway. It was also somewhat dangerous and it delayed play, so the club make certain on course OB.

UNTIL, about 20 years ago, we elected a club President who happened to be a member of the local golf association who came in and said. "No on course OB unless it's marked BY the course". That's continued to this day.

I still see it in a few courses around but not very many. Still hate it though. LOL

Titleist Pro V1X

Regards,

Dan

To be clear, a homeowner’s backyard may or may not technically be in bounds. In terms of the rules of golf, it’s at the Committee’s discretion. (Which could actually violate trespassing laws.)

Regards,

Dan

Pretty hard to decipher an out of bounds “line” from a single pole and no other marking.

Regards,

Dan

Pretty hard to decipher an out of bounds “line” from a single pole and no other marking.

There are usually others there but I suppose there could be a single one. In SE Asia, at least where I was, one generally goes with what the caddies tell one vis-a-vis situation like this.

One course there, which we played every Monday, had the pins in the same third of the green every Monday for 2 months at a time. In the clubhouse having a beer after the round there were 2 English speaking gents, one the instructor and the other a ranger.

In any case, when it was mentioned to them that they were clearly using 1 section of the green 50% more than the other 2 sections of the green for months at a time with that kind of rotation (and they understood it exactly), their response was "We've told that to the greenskeeper and management and they just keep doing what they do". Translation: they don't want to hear it.

Now for a "serious" tournament ??? Don't know.

I realize that's course maintenance rather than Rules but,,,,,,,,,, when in Rome SE Asia,,,,,,,,, :dntknw: :)

Titleist Pro V1X

Regards,

Dan

Been there (literally) and seen that.

Personally I HATE "on course OB".

My home club had that at one time. The COURSE itself didn't have it marked (or on the card) but our club didn't want people taking shortcuts (or what they thought were shortcuts) and playing into the wrong fairway. It was also somewhat dangerous and it delayed play, so the club make certain on course OB.

UNTIL, about 20 years ago, we elected a club President who happened to be a member of the local golf association who came in and said. "No on course OB unless it's marked BY the course". That's continued to this day.

I still see it in a few courses around but not very many. Still hate it though. LOL

The white pole was more like a skinny flag pole about 10 meters tall placed between two adjacent fairways between number 1 and 4 I believe. The only reason they put the on course OB on the number 1 hole was to not delay the play.

We also have a local golf course in the North of the City has white line marked between two adjacent fairways, again, for the purpose of speeding up the play. In this case there is no elevation change between the two fairways, just a shallow trench about 2' wide.

Regards,

Dan

A skinny flag pole about 10 meters tall was between two fairways, roughly 80 yards out . There was a marker on the first tee so I'd assume the line between the marker on the tee box to the white pole is the line for the OB. That's exactly why I was confused when told my tee shot was OB. Being the first time there and the only time, I was not warned about this OB line.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

You'll learn a lot about the rules here. I know I have. One of the first things to learn is to separate real rules from made up rules by people that appear and claim to be knowledgeable but don't know the rules.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan,

You'll learn a lot about the rules here. I know I have. One of the first things to learn is to separate real rules from made up rules by people that appear and claim to be knowledgeable but don't know the rules.

I'm assuming the posts here about OB are accurate?

There are no USGA rules about parallel fairways or the trees between them being OB.

If you have a course with a hole that doglegs around another fairway/hole, there may be a local rule about playing from the other

fairway is OB. Usually there will be white stakes or white stripes on the trees. They would not want you playing from the rough on the

other hole also, so there has to be a OB line of some type.

Often this type of OB is OB playing one hole, but not when playing the other hole.

In the unlikely event that anyone cares, here's what the 2019 version of the Rule book says:

Marking Internal Boundaries

To maintain the character of a hole or to protect players on adjacent holes, the Committee may establish boundaries between two holes.

If the internal boundary is not connected to other boundaries on the course it is important to mark where the boundary starts and finishes. It is recommended that two stakes be placed side-by-side and at an angle that indicates that the boundary extends indefinitely in the direction desired.

The internal boundary may apply for the play of only one hole or to more than one hole. The hole or holes for which the internal out of bounds applies, and the status of the stakes during the play of holes for which the boundary does not apply, should be clarified through a Local Rule (see Model Local Rule A-4).

http://www.usga.org/...=rule&rulenum=2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

In the unlikely event that anyone cares, here's what the 2019 version of the Rule book says:

Marking Internal Boundaries

To maintain the character of a hole or to protect players on adjacent holes, the Committee may establish boundaries between two holes.

If the internal boundary is not connected to other boundaries on the course it is important to mark where the boundary starts and finishes. It is recommended that two stakes be placed side-by-side and at an angle that indicates that the boundary extends indefinitely in the direction desired.

The internal boundary may apply for the play of only one hole or to more than one hole. The hole or holes for which the internal out of bounds applies, and the status of the stakes during the play of holes for which the boundary does not apply, should be clarified through a Local Rule (see Model Local Rule A-4).

http://www.usga.org/...=rule&rulenum=2

Sounds to me like someone has delved into the dark nether regions of the new Interpretations book.

Regards,

Dan

No. Outside the boundaries of the course means just that, but often marked.

Thought someone should answer that part of your question.

A skinny flag pole about 10 meters tall was between two fairways, roughly 80 yards out . There was a marker on the first tee so I'd assume the line between the marker on the tee box to the white pole is the line for the OB. That's exactly why I was confused when told my tee shot was OB. Being the first time there and the only time, I was not warned about this OB line.

In SE Asia such as Thailand there are lots of weird practices about. Then again, they are not worth discussing on a Rules Forum. At least not by a half a dozen posts, that is...

Sounds to me like someone has delved into the dark nether regions of the new Interpretations book.

Oh my! Sawgrass, you just superseded yourself ! !

Delved

Nether

How many even KNOWS those words let alone USES them???

Thank You !

I take it you dont read Lord of the Rings or listen to good talk radio.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Oh my! Sawgrass, you just superseded yourself ! !

Delved

Nether

How many even KNOWS those words let alone USES them???

Thank You !

Picks "delved" over "dark nether regions" - Bob Hartley would puzzle over that one.

Regards,

Dan

I think the definition of boundaries uses a little common sense. A public road, someone's backyard, or a fence along the property can be assumed to be OB without being marked..

Dan

Public road would be an issue in many areas. Here property owners own to the centerline of the road, unless of course they own the property on the other side.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Public road would be an issue in many areas. Here property owners own to the centerline of the road, unless of course they own the property on the other side.

Property owners own half the road ?

Do they have to maintain it ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Regards,

Dan

I think the definition of boundaries uses a little common sense. A public road, someone's backyard, or a fence along the property can be assumed to be OB without being marked..

Dan

The difficulty with that approach, sometimes called heuristic problem solving, is that it produces inconsistent outcomes. We've all seen that common sense too often produces the outcome that's in our own self-interest. Optimal results are achieved by chance. A large group of players would be unlikely to solve the OB in ways that achieve a fair outcome for the competition.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.