2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

I hit the Epic SZ at Club Champion:

1st hit = holy f&%*$ Sh** that thing is loud.

2nd hit = Awwwwwwww!!!!! it is loud as F...

I was about to put it away, but then noticed a rattle. The guy didn't screw it on right, so he fixed it. Thank goodness, because I was worried that it was so effing loud that my ear drum was literally hurting (indoors and tight space).

3rd hit = still loud as ...

Couldn't hit it anymore. Just hurt my ears, and I genuinely felt bad for the fitter to have to listen. The fitter in the bay next to us heard us complaining and he confirmed it was super loud.

Not a Callaway hater. I played the Epic SZ for 2 years and it is still my gamer. FWIW, my Epic with GP6-X beat out every club I tried: PXG Gen2 0811X, TS3, F9. Though I think that the F9 could be a contender if I got it tweaked to my liking. Had the highest swing speeds on my Epic SZ vs. other combos. Not sure what it was, but just felt better (probably GP shaft).

I'm starting to get the feeling that the "loudness" of these clubs is varying dramatically from model to model, and maybe even from head to head. It's crazy (to me) at how we are getting drastically different descriptions of the sound, from basically loud as h*** (mine, yours, and many others here) to others saying that it's not loud at all.

I was about to put it away, but then noticed a rattle. The guy didn't screw it on right, so he fixed it. Thank goodness, because I was worried that it was so effing loud that my ear drum was literally hurting (indoors and tight space).

Couldn't hit it anymore. Just hurt my ears, and I genuinely felt bad for the fitter to have to listen. The fitter in the bay next to us heard us complaining and he confirmed it was super loud.

Not a Callaway hater. I played the Epic SZ for 2 years and it is still my gamer. FWIW, my Epic with GP6-X beat out every club I tried: PXG Gen2 0811X, TS3, F9. Though I think that the F9 could be a contender if I got it tweaked to my liking. Had the highest swing speeds on my Epic SZ vs. other combos. Not sure what it was, but just felt better (probably GP shaft).

I'm starting to get the feeling that the "loudness" of these clubs is varying dramatically from model to model, and maybe even from head to head. It's crazy (to me) at how we are getting drastically different descriptions of the sound, from basically loud as h*** (mine, yours, and many others here) to others saying that it's not loud at all.

I don't know if this changes anything, but the heads were freshly shipped and I was the first one to hit the SZ head. I had a similar experience with a TS3 a few months ago. I was first one to take it to the range and it was loud as heck (a ping sound that hurt my ears and caught me by surprise). Hit a range ball. Then on the course, same thing loud and not pleasant. Ask the ranger if it bothered him, and he said "no, it sounds great. But I am old and maybe my hearing isn't as good." When I took it out 2 days later, it sounded way better. I thought that maybe the face needed to "break-in". But people here told me that there is no such thing as a break in period. Probably my ears got used to it.

Note: the TS3 sounded okay to me at club champion yesterday. No loud ping sound. The PXG Gen2 X sounded really great. And the F9 sounded OMG good. Very satisfying crispy/solid sound.

But the first ball I hit with the Epic Flash SZ literally hurt my right ear. I had to put the club down because of sound. It was the first time this ever happened to me. Couldn't even demo it.

I have heard much different sounds come from different players. I thought when Xander was hitting his the week he won it sounded fine. I was watching the Singapore Open last night and some guy was hitting it, sounded awful, reminded me of my demo.

I will take the head out again on course with my shaft and a TP5x this Spring and see if my thoughts change.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I was hitting Pro V's indoors, and that didn't help. Can't imagine hitting range rocks with that thing. If you stand next to me on the range with that club, I might accidentally trip an fall on your driver and accidentally break it, so you can' swing anymore.

One time in my life I had to pick up range balls and move to the other side of the range, because of a driver that was too loud. Think it was one of those square drivers, maybe Nike Sumo Squared.

Boy there’s not a lot of love for the sound.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I’ve seen guys hit it at a golf club and at a golf store and I haven’t heard anyone comment it was too loud. They were excited and concerned about their numbers and if they gained any distance.

I’m not saying this driver isn’t louder than Epic and Rogue but the majority of people who Golf won’t be as picky as most of us on this website when it comes to acoustics.

I myself will probably have it hot melted and/or try and get a 3 diamond version.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Epic flash was not good for me. I didn’t do any extensive testing other than hitting some shots on Gcquad with less than optimal shafts for me but it was loud and I don’t like the shape of it. Hard to say say much about the performance other than the sub zero was super low spin for me. FWIW the rogue sz was not super low spining for me and I gamed it for about 6 months last year. Probably just had a higher lofted head. And played epic sz for a year before that which was the best head I’d ever hit when it came out.

I have heard much different sounds come from different players. I thought when Xander was hitting his the week he won it sounded fine. I was watching the Singapore Open last night and some guy was hitting it, sounded awful, reminded me of my demo.

I will take the head out again on course with my shaft and a TP5x this Spring and see if my thoughts change.

It could simply be that the player had the head hot melted for sound.

With so many conflicting opinions on sound, I'm beginning to wonder if its a quality control issue.

Phil hit a drive the other day and I really disliked the sound.

Unless I'm wrong it looks to me that Phil is still gaming the Rogue. Twice yesterday when I focused on the club I saw the teal coloring and the sole sure looked like the Rogue.

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

Unless I'm wrong it looks to me that Phil is still gaming the Rogue. Twice yesterday when I focused on the club I saw the teal coloring and the sole sure looked like the Rogue.

He's still using the Rogue, but has the Flash cover on it.

yes he is still using the Rogue Sub Zero. Most likely he can't get enough weight forward in the New EFSZ.

Didn't even look that closely. Just noticed the bag and since he usually grabs the latest greatest at the first of the year I just assumed. I see where that got me ;)

Sound is going to vary based on shaft installed and position of both movable and fixed weights.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Sound is going to vary based on shaft installed and position of both movable and fixed weights.

I have seen this said before, but I have found that neither of those make a bit of difference with my Flash SZ. It sounds the same regardless of shaft or position of the sliding weight. Also had someone ask if heavier weights in the front port made a difference, and they do not (on mine).

Anyone who feels this thing isn't loud needs to schedule an appointment with an audiologist.

What! What Did you say???

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

Anyone who feels this thing isn't loud needs to schedule an appointment with an audiologist.

What! What Did you say???

Lol

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Maybe he ought to switch - 43% of fairways on Saturday. BUT

First round - 71% and driving distance was 300 yds

Second Round - 57% and 315 yds

Third Round - 42% and 335 yds

Anyone see a trend here? The more he bombs it, the worse his accuracy.

He needs to stick with accuracy on tight courses; go bombing when he has room.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I’m so disappointed! I wanted the EFS soooo bad. I love the shape and the way it sets up, but it just couldn’t keep up with the F9 or TS3 at all for me.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Hit the Flash SZ today at an indoor store. Swing is so-so at the moment, being middle of winter and just after my second range session. Also hit the M6 and the F9, but shaft selection was non-existent. HZRDS Smoke 6.0 in the Cally, same in the M6, and the helium in the Cobra. Didn't get along with the TM, the Smoke felt way better in the Cally, perhaps due to difference in head weight. Really liked the feel of the F9, but the shaft made comparisons useless.

Overall I thought the Flash was great, the sound only bothered me once on a mishit. Loud sure, but performance was pretty damn good on the one good swing I put on it...

jGZ5Lt4.jpg

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

I’m curious, why would the shaft make a difference? It seems like the connection point is the adapter, regardless of what shaft it is. Would the shaft that’s inserted into the adapter really have much of an effect on the sound?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I’m curious, why would the shaft make a difference? It seems like the connection point is the adapter, regardless of what shaft it is. Would the shaft that’s inserted into the adapter really have much of an effect on the sound?

Agree this is a stretch to think the shaft has anything to do with sound

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Even Phil doesn't like the sound... :D

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I'm going to say probably a lot of it comes from what brand predisposition a person has. If you go check out the other callaway centric site and look at the 60+ page thread on the epic flash, most everybody thinks its sounds great or fine, but then most of the guys commenting have all callaway bags. However, it seems like most all of the online reviewers comment negatively on its sound after the first few hits. Obviously, something is there. Whether you overlook the sound because of performance or you're a callaway guy is up to you. Performance wise, the epic flash series looks great. I owned an epic sz that was fantastic and sounded so good. If this series sounded like that, given the reviews I'm seeing, I would definitely take a look. As it stands now, if I were to get serious about a driver this year, the leader in the clubhouse would be the f9. I've yet to hit anything, because I'm trying not to buy a driver this season, but I was in a store watching someone hit a flash and it was loud- reminded me of my G30, which sounded like a steel trash can getting smashed against the ground by an angry black bear.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I have played Callaway drivers exclusively since the RFE, and almost ordered this blind. I passed on the Rogue due to head shape, so the new EFSZ was going to be a no-brainer for me, then I hit it.....

I am 99% sure I will just play my Epic again this season.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I'm wondering if if I could benift from a SZ versus a the regular Epic Flash or if I'll even get much in the way of distance gains. I'm currently playing a Rouge standard 10.5 degrees droped down to 9.5 in the neutral setting. I have medium ball height. My club head speed is 78 mph (I'm working on it). Smash factor is 1.48, Launch angle is 15.5 and spin is 2510. Dynamic loft is 17.6 and ball height is 57 feet. Ball curve averages 28.5 feet. My shaft is Accra FX 2.0 140 M2 which is around 49 grams.

Will I notice any improvement with the Flash? Should I not even consider the SZ?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

I'm going to say probably a lot of it comes from what brand predisposition a person has. If you go check out the other callaway centric site and look at the 60+ page thread on the epic flash, most everybody thinks its sounds great or fine, but then most of the guys commenting have all callaway bags. However, it seems like most all of the online reviewers comment negatively on its sound after the first few hits. Obviously, something is there. Whether you overlook the sound because of performance or you're a callaway guy is up to you. Performance wise, the epic flash series looks great. I owned an epic sz that was fantastic and sounded so good. If this series sounded like that, given the reviews I'm seeing, I would definitely take a look. As it stands now, if I were to get serious about a driver this year, the leader in the clubhouse would be the f9. I've yet to hit anything, because I'm trying not to buy a driver this season, but I was in a store watching someone hit a flash and it was loud- reminded me of my G30, which sounded like a steel trash can getting smashed against the ground by an angry black bear.

With me, I don't think it does have anything to do with brand predisposition. For the past several years I've been a staff player/staff account for Callaway, and played their drivers going back 4 or 5 generations now. And was really looking forward to the Epic Flash when I received it in Novemeber. But the sound and feel from the first ball I hit was so unlike anything I've experienced from Callaway drivers going back to the 815 DBD. And the more I hit it, the more bothersome it got, to the point that I knew I couldn't play it.