Bullseye Putter - What made it so good? Still gaming one?

Bullseye Putter - What made it so good and why did it just fade away? I remember back in the late 1980's, I was at the pro shop deciding on whether to buy a Bullseye or a Ping Anser 3 putter. I went with the Ping Anser 3 and have been using that style ever since.

I do remember the Bullseye feeling great, now I have an old one I picked up somewhere. Granted, it's not the most forgiving putter but like the 8802, it is a pure bade putter that is fun to use.

Anybody still game a Bullseye?

Honma TW 747 455 10.5* Driver

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17* 4 Wood

Honma TR 21 Hybrid 21*

Honma TW-X 5-10 Irons

Miura Tour Milled 52/10 and 58/10 Wedges

Slighter Seattle Putter

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was still gaming one my dad gave me up until this spring, still have it of course. Just feels too light after trying some other styles of putter....... I did sink like a 30 foot birdie with mine early this year though and it was satisfying af. In the club room now.

TM SIM Max 9*  Ventus blue 6-S

Cobra Baffler 3w 16* Tour AD G60-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

TM R-11 5-PW KBS 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

It was what I used in high school and college. Always had good feel with that brass head and a balata ball. I sometime practice with one as it is pretty unforgiving and forces you to concentrate. Way better putter designs today IMO. (not that I putt any better with them) :scare2:

Yeah quite twisty and unforgiving compared to newer designs. It is a blade after all.

Honma TW 747 455 10.5* Driver

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17* 4 Wood

Honma TR 21 Hybrid 21*

Honma TW-X 5-10 Irons

Miura Tour Milled 52/10 and 58/10 Wedges

Slighter Seattle Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I played at a cool course west of Nashville called Montgomery Bell (State Park) last week. Such a cool and well maintained public course. Highly recommend. It was cold and the greens were champion bermuda, so I struggled a little bit since I'm mainly used to putting on bent. Anyway, the superintendent (real nice guy) played with us and was using a beat up scotty bullseye flange. He definitely knew his greens because he didn't miss a putt. The butt was coming through the original scotty grip but he said he was afraid to change it and mess something up. I liked that he was in his early 30s like me, but didn't feel a need to go with the grain (pun intended) and use a modern putter like everyone else. He sticks with a proven classic and knows how to use it.

I play this one occasionally. Really soft feeling and quite forgiving as BullsEyes go. Plus the slot makes for a cool "tink" sound.

It was designed back when putters were elegantly understated with no distractions.

Taylormade 16 M2 9.5* (Tensei Orange R flex)

Taylormade Orig RBZ HL3 17* (Stock Xcon 5 Ozik S flex)

Taylormade 05 FCT 21*, 23.5* (Aldila RIP 85 S flex)

Srixon 745 5-PW (DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM6 52.12, 56.14, 60.12 K grind

Acushnet Bulls Eye W FL O.

No glove and Lamkin Crossline Blks

but didn't feel a need to go with the grain (pun intended) and use a modern putter like everyone else.

I tend to believe even if golfers using modern day putters tried out an old Bullseye or 8802 and liked the way they were stroking it, they would still toss it aside for the more popular,flashy newer stuff. Sadly alot of golfers have become more about the "branding" than the performance of the sticks. A $3 TP Mills from the thrift store won`t nearly hold a conversation, nor get the compliments/attention that a shiny new SC or even Odyssey will. To each their own I guess.

I used a Scotty Bullseye flange for many years. It is the absolute best putter I have ever used on shorter putts. I finally gave it up for an Odyssey simply because my distance control was so much better with it.

So easy to align if you like a straight putter without a bunch of lines and graphics, it just sets perpendicular to the line. I liked the Scotty over the traditional Rueter style because of the weight, the old school putters were much lighter. I still practice with it a lot on my Big Moss in the basement, and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it back in the bag someday.

You really learn to hit the sweetspot using these, it's like playing blades....your focus becomes good contact.

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I’ve got over 20 bullseyes and sometimes I’ll game one. Personally the shaft was the thing that made it great. I’ve fitted the shafts to Santa Fe heads and it takes the feel to another level.

Going back to the bullseyes the later titleist and SC versions were the best though as they had just that little bit more weight.

I have a couple of original Bullseyes (Acushnet) and a SC AC3 Bullseye Flange. The latter, in comparison, looks huge compared to the Acushnet ones - I used to love it but after switching back to the Acushnet ones, I haven't touched the AC3 since.

The Acushnet ones come with a fluted shaft and an angular Titleist grip that I've never been able to find anywhere else. Putted right, the feel is unparallelled - buttery soft, and with practice some distance control.

The trick with this is in grip pressure - on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is where the putter just rests in my hands, and 10 is how I grip my irons, i use a 4 on the bullseye

Srixon Z785 w/ PX 6.0 HZRDUS yellow (S) shaft
Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour issue shafts
Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 putter

I have a couple of original Bullseyes (Acushnet) and a SC AC3 Bullseye Flange. The latter, in comparison, looks huge compared to the Acushnet ones - I used to love it but after switching back to the Acushnet ones, I haven't touched the AC3 since.

The Acushnet ones come with a fluted shaft and an angular Titleist grip that I've never been able to find anywhere else. Putted right, the feel is unparallelled - buttery soft, and with practice some distance control.

The trick with this is in grip pressure - on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is where the putter just rests in my hands, and 10 is how I grip my irons, i use a 4 on the bullseye

I just picked up an old flange model just for a longer version of that shaft.

And I agree on the grip pressure. A lot of these older (lighter) putters perform their best when you don't strangle them.

I have several and periodically game one of them. I think one differentiating factor is that they are close to being center-shafted but still have a significant amount of toe hang. That's a relatively rare combination in putters, but might be the best fit for lots of people when it comes to alignment and stroke.

TaylorMade '17 M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT 60X
TaylorMade '17 M1 17* Kuro Kage XT 70X
Titleist 915F 21* Diamana D+ 80X

Ping G410 Hybrid 26* Even Flow Black 85G 6.5
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08F, (bent 49) 54.10S, DG Wedge
Titleist Vokey WedgeWorks Low Bounce K Grind 60.06 (bent 59), DG S200
TaylorMade Spider X Chalk Center Shaft 34"

I played at a cool course west of Nashville called Montgomery Bell (State Park) last week. Such a cool and well maintained public course. Highly recommend. It was cold and the greens were champion bermuda, so I struggled a little bit since I'm mainly used to putting on bent. Anyway, the superintendent (real nice guy) played with us and was using a beat up scotty bullseye flange. He definitely knew his greens because he didn't miss a putt. The butt was coming through the original scotty grip but he said he was afraid to change it and mess something up. I liked that he was in his early 30s like me, but didn't feel a need to go with the grain (pun intended) and use a modern putter like everyone else. He sticks with a proven classic and knows how to use it.

One thing I have learned over the years is never play against or bet against a superintendent on their own greens. Most of them are eagle eyed anyway but for sure they know their greens like the back of their hand

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

I have an original acushnet bullseye that was my father's. I think it's easier to make a true short stroke path with it. Wont be gaming it since it's rare and priceless to me. Sentimental about things that were my dad's. Old PGA club pro from the 60's, 70's and 80's. His basement was a treasure trove for antique club collectors.

Just wondering - what club was he pro at?

Feel free to PM me

augie

I’ve got over 20 bullseyes and sometimes I’ll game one. Personally the shaft was the thing that made it great. I’ve fitted the shafts to Santa Fe heads and it takes the feel to another level.

Going back to the bullseyes the later titleist and SC versions were the best though as they had just that little bit more weight.

DAMMIT!!! I thought I was the only one who did that trick--- Funny I have a fluted Bullseye shaft in my Santa Fe too. You are darn skippy on it enhancing the feel--- I even have a fluted Bullseye shaft in a Little David 8802

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

I'm in the minority. I played one in the early 90's and putted worse than Ray Charles. Mine was built without a sweet spot.

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

I had the brainy idea to buy a Bullseye with a longer shaft (36"), remove it and put it on my old (33.5") Bullseye. Turns out, the hosels/stems on Bullseyes are not all the same. I had to file my old one to fit in the newer shaft.

Just FYI.