2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What is your favorite set of "signature" or player endorsed blades?

I have always been a sucker for a set of clubs with a players signature. Over the years I've had many different sets and at one time gamed the following:

Arnold Palmer P31 Driver

Tommy Armour #4 Wood

Ben Hogan Apex PC irons

Ben Hogan and Tom Watson Wedges

Arnold Palmer Original Putter

I still have multiple sets and I'm always looking for something I have not had but these are still in my collection:

Mizuno Seve Ballesteros

Dunlop Seve Ballesteros

Yamaha Hal Sutton Signature

Yamaha Hal Sutton Grind

Cleveland Classic Byron Nelson 68.3

Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon Muscleback Set

Ben Hogan 1999 Apex

Cobra Greg Norman Split Level Blades

I recently saw a set of Tom Watson Signature Blades and have always wanted a set of the Ram TW Tour Grinds. I have almost pulled the trigger on Tommy Armour 986 Tour Blades SEVERAL times but held back. Surprisingly enough, I have had MacGregor VIP irons but NEVER the Jack Nicklaus Tour Forged, Muirfield or Muirfield 20th. What is your favorite set of SIGNATURE or PLAYER ENDORSED (grind etc...) blades? After all, I need to explore new clubs.

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

Original Muirfields

Ram TW wedges.

Nicoll Henry Cotton blades.and woods.

Ben Hogan Apex II,Edge,Apex Plus,Ftx.

Any photos of the Henry Cotton blades?

Whats in the Bag:

Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Greg Norman Signatures., Mac-Cobra MB's..........might be my favorite looking club all time, real blade "purity" to them performance wise.

1992 Ben Hogan FT Worth......................................handsome, 88 Redlines went to the gym

Ben Hogan Personal/Precisions..............................most copied design ever, Hogan is under rated as a club designer

Curtis Strange Maruman's CS-1.............................like all Matuman's of that era, fantastic performance and beautifully made.

Titleist T-Stamp.......................................................no signature, but this set was made for one guy. The man has real good taste.

Nick Faldo wedge...................................................Mizuno goodness, D6 SW, real versatile.

I don’t collect clubs b.ut my first set I bought in 1959 was a set of Spalding Don Fairfield. 2 woods, 3,5,7,9 putter. bought at Titches in Dallas. Next set was a set of Spalding Bruce Devlin in 68 at Univ. Texas Co-op. Next. Next clubs was a set ofFaultless Lee Trevino. Traded them in on a set of no dot pat pending KARSTEN I and have never owned a named player since 1971. Worst set I ever owned was a new set of Mc Gregor split soles. My bad. Had a set of Palmer standards in the 80’s.

I don't collect clubs b.ut my first set I bought in 1959 was a set of Spalding Don Fairfield. 2 woods, 3,5,7,9 putter. bought at Titches in Dallas. Next set was a set of Spalding Bruce Devlin in 68 at Univ. Texas Co-op. Next. Next clubs was a set ofFaultless Lee Trevino. Traded them in on a set of no dot pat pending KARSTEN I and have never owned a named player since 1971. Worst set I ever owned was a new set of Mc Gregor split soles. My bad. Had a set of Palmer standards in the 80's.

I had seen a set of the Faultless Lee Trevino before and thought they had a nice shape. The Standards also had smooth lines and a really nice shape. I'm not sure of the year but at least one set had his signature across the back... SWEET!

Whats in the Bag:

Greg Norman Signatures., Mac-Cobra MB's..........might be my favorite looking club all time, real blade "purity" to them performance wise.

1992 Ben Hogan FT Worth......................................handsome, 88 Redlines went to the gym

Ben Hogan Personal/Precisions..............................most copied design ever, Hogan is under rated as a club designer

Curtis Strange Maruman's CS-1.............................like all Matuman's of that era, fantastic performance and beautifully made.

Titleist T-Stamp.......................................................no signature, but this set was made for one guy. The man has real good taste.

Nick Faldo wedge...................................................Mizuno goodness, D6 SW, real versatile.

I agree on the Titleist T Set. I just wish someone would make a limited run with his signature. I can't believe they wouldn't sell out in a hurry. Not because its the most playable... just because its the coolest.

Forged Slazenger Seve blades

Curtis Strange Maruman blades

Greg Norman Cobra blades

And just for a bit of fun with with the Irish pals, Christy O'Connor Craigton diamondback blades.

Any photos of the Christy O'Conner set? I love all 3 of the others you mentioned.

Whats in the Bag:

Agree with pretty much anything from Hogan, though I suppose it's a moot point whether those are "signature " models in the traditional sense.

And definitely the Nicklaus Muirfields.

Have too many clubs already, but if space were no object I'd probably get into MacGregor Armours.

I know what you mean about the Hogans not being a true signature set but nearly everything with Ben Hogan scrawled across it looks great. When you have the Hogan name.... you gotta use it!

Whats in the Bag:

I have always been a sucker for a set of clubs with a players signature. Over the years I've had many different sets and at one time gamed the following:

Arnold Palmer P31 Driver

Tommy Armour #4 Wood

Ben Hogan Apex PC irons

Ben Hogan and Tom Watson Wedges

Arnold Palmer Original Putter

I still have multiple sets and I'm always looking for something I have not had but these are still in my collection:

Mizuno Seve Ballesteros

Dunlop Seve Ballesteros

Yamaha Hal Sutton Signature

Yamaha Hal Sutton Grind

Cleveland Classic Byron Nelson 68.3

Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon Muscleback Set

Ben Hogan 1999 Apex

Cobra Greg Norman Split Level Blades

I recently saw a set of Tom Watson Signature Blades and have always wanted a set of the Ram TW Tour Grinds. I have almost pulled the trigger on Tommy Armour 986 Tour Blades SEVERAL times but held back. Surprisingly enough, I have had MacGregor VIP irons but NEVER the Jack Nicklaus Tour Forged, Muirfield or Muirfield 20th. What is your favorite set of SIGNATURE or PLAYER ENDORSED (grind etc...) blades? After all, I need to explore new clubs.

I have played all of the ones highlighted and still have the Palmer Peerless P31.

• Like 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Another one I forgot to mention that is worthy of mention is the Haig Ultra Crenshaw Grind. There was also a set that simply had the Ben Crenshaw Signature across the back.

Whats in the Bag:

0992-

Since Don White did work on both the MacGregor Split/Level sole irons and the Cobra Greg Norman "signature" 985 style blade irons...

Greg Normans "signature" Cobra irons are more 985 style back pad design, where Split-Level irons refers to the sole of the club.

"Mac-Cobras" are what Norman's "signature" irons were called in the October 1996, Sports Illustrated article on Don White, titled "King Of Clubs"

Greg Norman Signatures., Mac-Cobra MB's..........might be my favorite looking club all time, real blade "purity" to them performance wise. 1992 Ben Hogan FT Worth......................................handsome, 88 Redlines went to the gym Ben Hogan Personal/Precisions..............................most copied design ever, Hogan is under rated as a club designer Curtis Strange Maruman's CS-1.............................like all Matuman's of that era, fantastic performance and beautifully made. Titleist T-Stamp.......................................................no signature, but this set was made for one guy. The man has real good taste. Nick Faldo wedge...................................................Mizuno goodness, D6 SW, real versatile.
I agree on the Titleist T Set. I just wish someone would make a limited run with his signature. I can't believe they wouldn't sell out in a hurry. Not because its the most playable... just because its the coolest.
Forged Slazenger Seve blades Curtis Strange Maruman blades Greg Norman Cobra blades And just for a bit of fun with with the Irish pals, Christy O'Connor Craigton diamondback blades.
Any photos of the Christy O'Conner set? I love all 3 of the others you mentioned.

Craigtons below:

Check out the 4th page (labelled page 2) of the pdf http://www.limerickc...vol 14 no 3.pdf & this Ad: https://www.thenosta...D4984)/6870.htm for some interesting background to this model and Craigton itself.

Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields

Toney Penna woods ( to clarify woods he made at his own company)

Ben Hogan Precisions

Macgregor Tommy Armour 3800 irons

Macgregor Bob Toski Mity Mite irons

Macgregor Tommy Armour 925 irons (do not have anymore gave them to my buddy Bear)

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Ram TW276 and TW282 top my list. I also own a set of Muirfields and have to say they're not much behind the Rams on my list.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Greg Norman Signatures., Mac-Cobra MB's..........might be my favorite looking club all time, real blade "purity" to them performance wise. 1992 Ben Hogan FT Worth......................................handsome, 88 Redlines went to the gym Ben Hogan Personal/Precisions..............................most copied design ever, Hogan is under rated as a club designer Curtis Strange Maruman's CS-1.............................like all Matuman's of that era, fantastic performance and beautifully made. Titleist T-Stamp.......................................................no signature, but this set was made for one guy. The man has real good taste. Nick Faldo wedge...................................................Mizuno goodness, D6 SW, real versatile.
Forged Slazenger Seve blades Curtis Strange Maruman blades Greg Norman Cobra blades And just for a bit of fun with with the Irish pals, Christy O'Connor Craigton diamondback blades.

Craigtons below:

Check out the 4th page (labelled page 2) of the pdf http://www.limerickc...vol 14 no 3.pdf & this Ad: https://www.thenosta...D4984)/6870.htm for some interesting background to this model and Craigton itself.

appreciate the link to the Gaelic Sport Magazine. for those that might be interested, circa 1971.

vintage media is amazing. among the articles, there is an advert on their page 12 for Asbestos Cement construction of all things.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I'll put forward three from my iron sets:

(Apologies for the links to previous posts, attachment limit reached...)

John Letters, Fred Daly

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry17853982

Dunlop, Peter Thomson

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16873070

Slazenger, Johnny Miller

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16724936

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

John Letters, Fred Daly

Dunlop, Peter Thomson

Slazenger, Johnny Miller

The Slazenger Johnny Miller irons have a great look. That's a set I would enjoy. How long have you had them and have you seen other sets?

Whats in the Bag:

John Letters, Fred Daly

Dunlop, Peter Thomson

Slazenger, Johnny Miller

The Slazenger Johnny Miller irons have a great look. That's a set I would enjoy. How long have you had them and have you seen other sets?

They're a lovely set and play well too. I got them last January and haven't seen any others, BUT.....

Just did a quick search and these came up, not cheap but they do include the PW and SW which mine don't.

https://www.ebay.co....qsAAOSwnhlb8q9G

UK ebay, £113 delivered, not cheap but condition looks excellent.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

I don't collect clubs b.ut my first set I bought in 1959 was a set of Spalding Don Fairfield. 2 woods, 3,5,7,9 putter. bought at Titches in Dallas. Next set was a set of Spalding Bruce Devlin in 68 at Univ. Texas Co-op. Next. Next clubs was a set ofFaultless Lee Trevino. Traded them in on a set of no dot pat pending KARSTEN I and have never owned a named player since 1971. Worst set I ever owned was a new set of Mc Gregor split soles. My bad. Had a set of Palmer standards in the 80's.

I had seen a set of the Faultless Lee Trevino before and thought they had a nice shape. The Standards also had smooth lines and a really nice shape. I'm not sure of the year but at least one set had his signature across the back... SWEET!

Had a set years ago and got rid of them. Kicked myself for 15 years for getting rid of them and then had a chance to pick up another set last fall. Love them. The best looking model of the Palmer Standard line strictly for the signature.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

John Letters, Fred Daly

Dunlop, Peter Thomson

Slazenger, Johnny Miller

They're a lovely set and play well too. I got them last January and haven't seen any others, BUT.....

Just did a quick search and these came up, not cheap but they do include the PW and SW which mine don't.

https://www.ebay.co....qsAAOSwnhlb8q9G

UK ebay, £113 delivered, not cheap but condition looks excellent.

Thats a beautiful set. I'm thinking strongly about pulling the trigger!

Whats in the Bag:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the set I'm currently playing are the MaCobra Norman signature blades, and yes, they're fantastic. Also piecing together a set of Nicklaus Muirfield 20th's at the moment (super excited!). But my fondest memory is smacking around a Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 8 iron throughout the summer of '94; my first year playing. Learning how to make a clean strike off of buffalo grass/hardpan with those babies sure helped me improve. Still the thinnest topline I've ever seen on an iron....Ahh memories.....