Jump to content

Just when you thought the Epic successor couldn't have a worse name


Recommended Posts

The Callaway LRS Bomber.

 

Long-Range Strike Bomber is the new platform replacing the B-2 bomber. Paint it all black and hope the PXG talking head doesn't sue you.

 

Callaway, please send my royalty check pronto. I need more wine.

Mavrik

Ping hybrids

Miura CB-1008/MB-001

Callaway Jaws 5 50*

TM TW 56*

Ping Tess JAS

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is getting paid the big bucks to dream up names like these? Flash? Unbelievable.

 

I mean given the desire to attract younger people into the game of golf the last thing you would want to use is a hyper-relevant term like "flash".

 

Thank god you guys aren't running marketing...

It's possible in not the target demographic, but I'm under 35 and I never considered the Epic based on name alone. Epic Flash I'd just laugh at if somebody tried to sell me one.

 

So, you would completely write off what has been praised by so many just because you don't like the 4 letter name on the bottom of the club? Seems a bit extreme.

Yes. Look at address and colour would also contribute heavily.

 

To be honest, the vast majority of drivers in any given year perform more or less the same when properly fit and I tend to not alter my bag for years (played my second iron set for over a decade), so it's important to me to have something I really like in there because I'm going to be staring at it a long time.

 

I can see if you said that you didn't care for the look at address or color. But, if you don't even bother to look at a club because the name printed on the bottom is something you wouldn't pick just seems like you are limiting yourself. While granted, on center strikes, ball speed should be equal among drivers. There is so much more at play like launch, spin, and MOI. You are the one paying for the club, so you are free to pick what you want. Just seems like an odd sticking point to me is all.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is getting paid the big bucks to dream up names like these? Flash? Unbelievable.

 

I mean given the desire to attract younger people into the game of golf the last thing you would want to use is a hyper-relevant term like "flash".

 

Thank god you guys aren't running marketing...

It's possible in not the target demographic, but I'm under 35 and I never considered the Epic based on name alone. Epic Flash I'd just laugh at if somebody tried to sell me one.

 

So, you would completely write off what has been praised by so many just because you don't like the 4 letter name on the bottom of the club? Seems a bit extreme.

Yes. Look at address and colour would also contribute heavily.

 

To be honest, the vast majority of drivers in any given year perform more or less the same when properly fit and I tend to not alter my bag for years (played my second iron set for over a decade), so it's important to me to have something I really like in there because I'm going to be staring at it a long time.

 

For REAL for real? Forget the Callaway brand, or the notion that maybe the name didn't draw you to the driver... You're actually so put off by the name that you wouldn't play it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would've went with Epic Flash Gordon for sure.

 

I could care less about the name and the color scheme. Is it any longer or straighter than mine? If so, buy now. If not, keep looking.

Titleist TSI3 10* GD AD IZ 6S
Titleist TSI3 16.5 Ventus Red 7S
Titleist TS2 23* GD AD IZ 85S
Srixon Z785 5 iron Aerotech FC115S

Titleist T100S 6-PW Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50* Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
Scotty Cameron T22 Newport Stability Shaft Tour

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they should of used it's porn name. That's Driver porn of course.

 

 

Yes. Johnnie longshanks....

 

As in your caddie says " it's 320 to clear the left trap. Hit 3 wood short of it ". And you say " no way Chief. Hand me johnnie longshanks and shut it "!

That is EPIC! LOL!

Ping G400LST 8.5 TPT 14 LKP LT LW Proto
Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
Mizuno JPX919 Forged 4i SuperPeening Blue X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tours5-PW Super Peening Blue X
Vokey SM7 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
Byron Morgan Proto DH89
Pro V1
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be worse, have you seen the M5...

 

giphy.gif

Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tour AD XC7 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): RTX-4 Raw/DGS400
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is getting paid the big bucks to dream up names like these? Flash? Unbelievable.

 

I mean given the desire to attract younger people into the game of golf the last thing you would want to use is a hyper-relevant term like "flash".

 

Thank god you guys aren't running marketing...

It's possible in not the target demographic, but I'm under 35 and I never considered the Epic based on name alone. Epic Flash I'd just laugh at if somebody tried to sell me one.

 

So, you would completely write off what has been praised by so many just because you don't like the 4 letter name on the bottom of the club? Seems a bit extreme.

Whoa, slow down, you're jumping ahead to the next model already, the Callaway Epic Flash eXtreme and the Callaway Epic Flash eXtreme pRo. Those are the ones that will have E-flash eXt FaceCup technology.

Cobra F9 9* w/Fuji Atmos Black
Cobra F9 13.5* w/Atmos Blue
Cobra King LTD 17* w/Diamana S+
Callaway Apex Hybrid w/KK Black 20*
New Level 902 4-PW w/KBS $ Taper Lite
Wilson Tour Model 50 bent to 52*  Scratch EBN 58*
Bettinardi BB1F 
Eliott Alistair bag

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember hearing many British reviewers snickering at the naming of the club ‘Epic’. Does that word have a different connotation over there?

SIM 10.5˚ Ventus Blue 6
SIM 15˚ GD DI-7
SIM 19˚ GD DI-85
Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
MG Hi-Toe 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ DG 120
Spider Tour-X
TP5 Pix
Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is getting paid the big bucks to dream up names like these? Flash? Unbelievable.

 

I mean given the desire to attract younger people into the game of golf the last thing you would want to use is a hyper-relevant term like "flash".

 

Thank god you guys aren't running marketing...

It's possible in not the target demographic, but I'm under 35 and I never considered the Epic based on name alone. Epic Flash I'd just laugh at if somebody tried to sell me one.

 

So, you would completely write off what has been praised by so many just because you don't like the 4 letter name on the bottom of the club? Seems a bit extreme.

Whoa, slow down, you're jumping ahead to the next model already, the Callaway Epic Flash eXtreme and the Callaway Epic Flash eXtreme pRo. Those are the ones that will have E-flash eXt FaceCup technology.

 

???

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

> @KMeloney said:

> Bubbtubbs wrote:

>

>

> radiman wrote:

>

>

> Bubbtubbs wrote:

>

>

> GolfChannel wrote:

>

>

> PlayfromtheBrain wrote:

>

>

>

> Who is getting paid the big bucks to dream up names like these? Flash? Unbelievable.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I mean given the desire to attract younger people into the game of golf the last thing you would want to use is a hyper-relevant term like "flash".

>

>

>

> Thank god you guys aren't running marketing...

>

>

>

>

> It's possible in not the target demographic, but I'm under 35 and I never considered the Epic based on name alone. Epic Flash I'd just laugh at if somebody tried to sell me one.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> So, you would completely write off what has been praised by so many just because you don't like the 4 letter name on the bottom of the club? Seems a bit extreme.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Yes. Look at address and colour would also contribute heavily.

>

>

>

> To be honest, the vast majority of drivers in any given year perform more or less the same when properly fit and I tend to not alter my bag for years (played my second iron set for over a decade), so it's important to me to have something I really like in there because I'm going to be staring at it a long time.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> For REAL for real? Forget the Callaway brand, or the notion that maybe the name didn't draw you to the driver... You're actually so put off by the name that you wouldn't play it?

 

I know this is old but... Yup. It would have to absolutely devastate the competition in a fitting to find a place in the bag of there's something that bothers me about it, even if it's relatively small.

 

I haven't tried any recent ping irons because of the hosel notch, for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...