Home Simulators Lets Talk About Them!

clevited

Here's my setup (sorry for the blurry pics) with Skytrak. I've had a Skytrak a little over a year now, and it's been great. I previously used an Optishot, and those are a complete waste of time. I mostly us the Skytrak software for practicing on the range. I have TGC for sim play. TGC is fun, but hoping the 2019 update makes some improvements (better short game and green speed physics, for one)

I started off with a CCE hitting mat (from Costco). It is very unforgiving on heavy shots, and I had some minor wrist injuries using it. I've since relegated the CCE mat to the stance mat, and got a Fiberbuilt section several months ago (not pictured here). The Fiberbuilt is definitely the way to go- punishing on heavy shots in terms of distance loss, but not at all painful. I use tomahawk tees for driver.

You can barely make it out in the crappy photo, but the grey rectangular box thingy next to the Skytrak is a DIY aiming input device for Simulator play. It's just the guts of an old keyboard and some arcade buttons. It's rigged up to make moving your point of aim in TGC possible without having to walk over to the keyboard.

The putting green is from Big Moss, which I also highly recommend.

Great setup! I am in the early stages with a mat and a net at this point. Hoping to eventually get into a launch monitor and simulator. Did you do the whole turnkey package with skytrak? Do you mind sharing your cost for the launch monitor, projector, computer, software, screen, etc?

Here's my setup (sorry for the blurry pics) with Skytrak. I've had a Skytrak a little over a year now, and it's been great. I previously used an Optishot, and those are a complete waste of time. I mostly us the Skytrak software for practicing on the range. I have TGC for sim play. TGC is fun, but hoping the 2019 update makes some improvements (better short game and green speed physics, for one)

I started off with a CCE hitting mat (from Costco). It is very unforgiving on heavy shots, and I had some minor wrist injuries using it. I've since relegated the CCE mat to the stance mat, and got a Fiberbuilt section several months ago (not pictured here). The Fiberbuilt is definitely the way to go- punishing on heavy shots in terms of distance loss, but not at all painful. I use tomahawk tees for driver.

You can barely make it out in the crappy photo, but the grey rectangular box thingy next to the Skytrak is a DIY aiming input device for Simulator play. It's just the guts of an old keyboard and some arcade buttons. It's rigged up to make moving your point of aim in TGC possible without having to walk over to the keyboard.

Great setup! I am in the early stages with a mat and a net at this point. Hoping to eventually get into a launch monitor and simulator. Did you do the whole turnkey package with skytrak? Do you mind sharing your cost for the launch monitor, projector, computer, software, screen, etc?

My setup is not entirely turnkey. The net enclosure and screen did come in a set though.

- Net/Screen enclosure and screen: Allsport systems ~ $1,200 14'x8' screen (includes screen, netting, angled connectors for pipes)

- Pipes for enclosure - ~$100? electrical conduit from Home Depot

- Projector: Optoma GT1080 ~ $750. Needs to be short throw and as bright as possible.

- Stance mat: 5'x5' CCE from Costco ~ $450. This was my hitting mat originally.

- Hitting mat: Fiberbuilt 3 piece 1'x1' hitting strip ~$170

- Skytrak - $1,700

- Putting green: $288 Big moss "The Augusta" 4'x12'

Total (including putting green) around $4,500. I don't include the PC powering this, as I already have a gaming PC that I use. You could probably build a suitable PC in the $600 range. The Skytrak software and TGC aren't too graphics demanding, so a budget graphics card should be fine for 1080p.

It's a pretty steep investment up front. As a father of a young daughter (with another on the way), finding time to go to the range regularly is basically impossible. This setup is the only way I'd ever get any practice in between rounds, so it's been invaluable to me.

To save some money up front, you could always use the iOS or Android software and save the projector and PC cost for a future upgrade.

My setup is not entirely turnkey. The net enclosure and screen did come in a set though.

- Net/Screen enclosure and screen: Allsport systems ~ $1,200 14'x8' screen (includes screen, netting, angled connectors for pipes)

- Projector: Optoma GT1080 ~ $750. Needs to be short throw and as bright as possible.

- Skytrak - $1,700

Total (including putting green) around $4,500. I don't include the PC powering this, as I already have a gaming PC that I use. You could probably build a suitable PC in the $600 range. The Skytrak software and TGC aren't too graphics demanding, so a budget graphics card should be fine for 1080p.

It's a pretty steep investment up front. As a father of a young daughter (with another on the way), finding time to go to the range regularly is basically impossible. This setup is the only way I'd ever get any practice in between rounds, so it's been invaluable to me.

To save some money up front, you could always use the iOS or Android software and save the projector and PC cost for a future upgrade.

This is exactly the boat that I am in, hence my 2019 simulator build project. Mine won't be anywhere near yours though in terms of quality and cost.

- Skytrak - $1,700

This is exactly the boat that I am in, hence my 2019 simulator build project. Mine won't be anywhere near yours though in terms of quality and cost.

Yeah, I understand- I'm very thankful and fortunate to be able to spend such money on a silly game. You can cut some corners and cheap out on certain things early on. The setup in our old house was an Optishot (just don't), a stance platform made from scrap wood, and an old mattress with a painter's tarp draped over it as a "screen".

You can find ways to get by with minimal investment in screen and hitting mat, as those can be upgraded down the road. The only thing I would not cheap out on initially is the launch monitor itself. There just isn't anything worthwhile that costs less than a Skytrak. If you're starting out with a tight budget, go for ugly-yet-effective things after investing in the launch monitor.

Thanks for all the info. I am thinking about purchasing the skytrak hooking it up to a PC and having the image displayed on a TV.

Does anyone have input on the different simulation plans that are offered? ProTee, The Golf Club, True golf E6, etc. They vary pretty significantly in price from one to the next. Looks like an annual cost of another 4 or 500 each year (when combined with the skytrak plan cost) depending on which way you go.

Thanks for all the info. I am thinking about purchasing the skytrak hooking it up to a PC and having the image displayed on a TV.

Does anyone have input on the different simulation plans that are offered? ProTee, The Golf Club, True golf E6, etc. They vary pretty significantly in price from one to the next. Looks like an annual cost of another 4 or 500 each year (when combined with the skytrak plan cost) depending on which way you go.

I can't speak to the other options, but I have experience with TGC. On the plus side, it has solid graphics and tons and tons of courses (including highly accurate replicas of all the famous ones. i.e. "Magnolia National") due to the course editor. I believe all the other options are limited to officially licensed courses, so you'll be paying extra for some.

The negatives- short chips and putting are a total crapshoot in my experience. The ways the greens play are just totally unrealistic. I always choose auto-putt options once the ball is on the green. Can't select separate tees for individual players. No extra game modes like best-ball, etc. Hopefully these things are fixed in the 2019 release.

As for pricing, you can do a yearly subscription for $480, or do a lifetime license for $795. They've claimed buying a license now will grant you a free upgrade to the new version once it's released.

I have JNPG, which is kind of a unicorn for the Skytrak as the only way to get it currently that I am aware of is through the purchase of a used Skytrak with JNPG license. It has a lot of perks to it that TGC currently doesn't have but might in the future, and it costs less in a way. Its 250 bucks a year (but you also have to pay 100 dollar a year for Skytrak service). It is wise imo, to get all the info you can about sim software before you pull the trigger. Some softwares are overly expensive for what you get, some have features you want, some have ones you don't want. Everyone is different.

Both TGC and JNPG have online tours you can play. IMO those two are the best options for the money period. I am partial to JNPG because it has everything I want but like I said, its tougher to get for Skytrak. If you buy a GC2, its np though.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Great info, thank you. I just pulled the trigger on the skytrak!! I am going to do some additional research into the different sim software options available before i make a purchase. I also have to get a PC that is capable before I can move forward with sim software.

I will post some photos once I have everything set up.

Great thread! Thank you!

If you all were to force rank all of the turn key golf simulators, which ones would be in your top 5? Especially for accuracy of shot data?

What do you mean by turnkey exactly?

If I were to list top 5 launch monitors on which to build a simulator with it would be the following....

1) GC2 (hands down)

2) Skytrak

3) Flightscope

4) Trackman

1,000,000,000,000) Everything else

So the Fiberbuilt Practice Station... After a few weeks, I’ll be returning mine. Here are my issues, as it pertains to simulator golf:

1) Switching between tee balls and irons is difficult. You either have to lift the Fiberbuilt hitting area and remove the tee or move the Skytrak unit to a different position. In theory, I could just tee every shot but that is ridiculous. For those thinking that you’ll use a different tee, good luck. The surface is too uneven to hold the popular option like the Tomahawk.

2) There is no chance to even try a putt on the surface. It hops and jumps, making the Skytrak read it as a chip.

The Fiberbuilt feels amazing and it is great as a Practice Station. It just isn’t good for sim golf, however. If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears because I’d love to stay injury free. Unless I hear otherwise, I’ll be going back to my DIY Divot Action with a CCE-knockoff surface.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I took 2 very important steps towards my simulator build during my Christmas break from work.

1. I got the ok from the wife.

2. I cleared room in the garage. We use our garage for storage (live in NC so parking in the driveway year round is no problem). I built some shelves to get stuff off the floor and threw out a lot of stuff we didn't need. I now have a large area with 12 foot celiengs.

Has anyone here done the monthly financing for skytrack? The commercial says $58 a month but I haven't looked into all the terms and conditions of that.

Take a look for balance transfer offers from your credit cards too. You can buy on one card (ideally one that gets you some sort of points) and then transfer a balance to another that is offering 0% for a while. When I bought my GC2/HMT in May, I got 0% until early 2020 on my REI card. There was a transfer fee of. Few percent but it gave me over a year and a half to pay it off. I just don’t use that card for anything now and pay $500 or so a month. With a Skytrak, it’s a smaller bill, but worth checking out your options. In my situation I didn’t want to deal with opening a loan. Worked out nicely to get points on a $10k purchase.

I took 2 very important steps towards my simulator build during my Christmas break from work.

1. I got the ok from the wife.

2. I cleared room in the garage. We use our garage for storage (live in NC so parking in the driveway year round is no problem). I built some shelves to get stuff off the floor and threw out a lot of stuff we didn't need. I now have a large area with 12 foot celiengs.

Has anyone here done the monthly financing for skytrack? The commercial says $58 a month but I haven't looked into all the terms and conditions of that.

Take a look for balance transfer offers from your credit cards too. You can buy on one card (ideally one that gets you some sort of points) and then transfer a balance to another that is offering 0% for a while. When I bought my GC2/HMT in May, I got 0% until early 2020 on my REI card. There was a transfer fee of. Few percent but it gave me over a year and a half to pay it off. I just don’t use that card for anything now and pay $500 or so a month. With a Skytrak, it’s a smaller bill, but worth checking out your options. In my situation I didn’t want to deal with opening a loan. Worked out nicely to get points on a $10k purchase.

I was going to say the same thing. There are many that are 0% for 15 months and no fee. then after your rate would likely be in the low teens if you credit is good.

So the Fiberbuilt Practice Station... After a few weeks, Ill be returning mine. Here are my issues, as it pertains to simulator golf:

1) Switching between tee balls and irons is difficult. You either have to lift the Fiberbuilt hitting area and remove the tee or move the Skytrak unit to a different position. In theory, I could just tee every shot but that is ridiculous. For those thinking that youll use a different tee, good luck. The surface is too uneven to hold the popular option like the Tomahawk.

2) There is no chance to even try a putt on the surface. It hops and jumps, making the Skytrak read it as a chip.

The Fiberbuilt feels amazing and it is great as a Practice Station. It just isnt good for sim golf, however. If anyone has any ideas, Im all ears because Id love to stay injury free. Unless I hear otherwise, Ill be going back to my DIY Divot Action with a CCE-knockoff surface.

Something I do to make tomahawk tees work on the fiberbuilt is to stack two of them. By doing that, it more or less evens out to what a single tee's height would be since it sinks down a bit. You can tie two tees together with a piece of fishing line or a small tie strap to make it a more permanent modification.

I recently acquired a FlightScope Kudu for 275.00 It comes with ping nflight software (looks like it was a demo unit for golf expos or such) I have not tried the nflight software, but it boots up and works, and seems to connect. My issues are two fold. 1.) It did not come with instructions, and it is not as intuitive as you would think - anyone know where I could get a manual for the nflight software. or 2.) Does anyone know where I could find the legacy version of the flightscope software for the Kudu. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there was a free version for a few years that came with the Kudu.

I am only interested in driving range style simulation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I purchased this dura pro mat that seems to be high quality. Haven’t had it long enough to speak to the longevity. About $150 on amazon. It gives good feedback on fat shots without feeling harsh on your hands/wrists.

Golf Mat 3' x 5' Dura-Pro Plus Premium Commercial Golf Mat FREE Golf Ball Tray, FREE Balls, FREE Tees - FREE SHIPPING - 8 Year Warranty - Dura-Pro Golf Hitting Mats Make All Other Golf Mats Obsolete! Family Owned And Operated Since 1997 - Dura-Pro Golf Mats are the #1 Mat in Golf! Our Golf Practice Mats As Seen On The Golf Channel. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WP8HYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mLamCb2CQKYDJ

So I found a great deal on PVC pipe ($2 for 20-foot sections). It's only 1 inch in diameter though. Will this be sturdy enough to use as a frame for a hitting cage? Haven't bought any yet, but the guy said he has plenty left.

1” PVC might sag a bit depending on how wide your frame is and the weight of the netting. I would definitely not use PVC if your cage will have a screen. Also, PVC will crack if an errant shot hits it- ask me how I know :)

Metal conduit is relatively cheap and a better choice long term. The fittings are the pricey part. You can find fittings at places that sell tent supplies.

So I found a great deal on PVC pipe ($2 for 20-foot sections). It's only 1 inch in diameter though. Will this be sturdy enough to use as a frame for a hitting cage? Haven't bought any yet, but the guy said he has plenty left.

1” PVC might sag a bit depending on how wide your frame is and the weight of the netting. I would definitely not use PVC if your cage will have a screen. Also, PVC will crack if an errant shot hits it- ask me how I know :)

Metal conduit is relatively cheap and a better choice long term. The fittings are the pricey part. You can find fittings at places that sell tent supplies.

Thank for the advice. I also wondered about potential sagging. The frame will be 8 feet wide, 10 feet deep and 10 feet high. And it will have a screen in addition to netting.

I'll see what else I can find.

1 PVC might sag a bit depending on how wide your frame is and the weight of the netting. I would definitely not use PVC if your cage will have a screen. Also, PVC will crack if an errant shot hits it- ask me how I know :)

Thank for the advice. I also wondered about potential sagging. The frame will be 8 feet wide, 10 feet deep and 10 feet high. And it will have a screen in addition to netting.

As mentioned, it will shatter if hit. I know this from experience too (PW right into the main crossbar). I have some 3 way fittings if you decide to go with the PVC route for now. Let me know.

If you setup the net and screen so they are offset from the piping you can probably get away without breaking it, but you will want to add vertical posts mid-span to support the weight of net and screen to stop sagging. It’s just a few extra pipes, but will help with the longevity of the cage and also allow a little extra stiffness for tightening the screen.

As mentioned, it will shatter if hit. I know this from experience too (PW right into the main crossbar). I have some 3 way fittings if you decide to go with the PVC route for now. Let me know.

If you setup the net and screen so they are offset from the piping you can probably get away without breaking it, but you will want to add vertical posts mid-span to support the weight of net and screen to stop sagging. It’s just a few extra pipes, but will help with the longevity of the cage and also allow a little extra stiffness for tightening the screen.

Any big difference in terms of sagging or overall durability between 1-inch PVC pipe and say 3-inch PVC pipe? I know there is different thickness ("schedule") as well. I'm finding that PVC pipe is just so much cheaper than metal piping. Plus I can cut PVC pipe but I don't have anything to cut metal pipe so I would need to find the exact lengths that I need.

Also, what has everyone found to be the ideal distance between hitting mat and screen?

PVC should be fine. I’d go with a standard size (one where fittings can be purchased at your local home center). If you’re truly worried about breakage, cover the pvc with foam pipe insulation.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Self-Seal-Pipe-Insulation-ORS07812/204760815

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I can't seem to find it online, but the newest issue of Golf Digest did an article about simulator golf in South Korea. They have a televised pro league and simulator rounds actually outnumbered real rounds over there in 2018. Very interesting read for anyone who has a simulator.

Another question if I may.....

Do most of you have the spot you are hitting from centered to your screen? Or is it slightly offset to one side (the right side for righties or the left side for lefties).

I would like to have my spot centered, but last night I did some measuring and laid down some tape where my frame will be so I could get a better visual of it. And it seems that if I have my spot centered then the left side might get a little tight. By moving to the right side a little bit it frees up that left side a little more. But I didn't know how this might affect game play if I'm always hitting into the right side of the screen. I suppose it doesn't really matter because you're using the computer to set your aiming point so it doesn't really matter where on the screen the ball is hitting. But I really have no idea.

Also, does it mess with your head and make you hit a lot of hooks because you're lined up right of the target?

Thanks.

I can't seem to find it online, but the newest issue of Golf Digest did an article about simulator golf in South Korea. They have a televised pro league and simulator rounds actually outnumbered real rounds over there in 2018. Very interesting read for anyone who has a simulator.

Do most of you have the spot you are hitting from centered to your screen? Or is it slightly offset to one side (the right side for righties or the left side for lefties).

I would like to have my spot centered, but last night I did some measuring and laid down some tape where my frame will be so I could get a better visual of it. And it seems that if I have my spot centered then the left side might get a little tight. By moving to the right side a little bit it frees up that left side a little more. But I didn't know how this might affect game play if I'm always hitting into the right side of the screen. I suppose it doesn't really matter because you're using the computer to set your aiming point so it doesn't really matter where on the screen the ball is hitting. But I really have no idea.

Also, does it mess with your head and make you hit a lot of hooks because you're lined up right of the target?

Thanks.

Mine is offset because with longer clubs I would hit the wall with my club during my backswing if I were centered. I think most popular sim softwares come with an offset option. I use JNPG and it does. I center the ball on screen with my tee location.

Thanks.

Mine is offset because with longer clubs I would hit the wall with my club during my backswing if I were centered. I think most popular sim softwares come with an offset option. I use JNPG and it does. I center the ball on screen with my tee location.

Okay cool, thanks. That's kind of what I was wondering about.

I'm looking at about 7.5 feet from tee to screen. Does this sound about right and are there factors I should be considering in regards to distance from screen?