Job Posting for Head Manager of City of Seattle golf courses - MERGED

bird206

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those whom qualify for the minimum requirement to the job, one, the proposed salary is not attractive.

Two, you're correct that the title comes with the dealing with the City manager , director for the Parks and recreation whom most likely is not a golfer.

Three, the maintenance crew runs by the City.

Four, the golf course has 6 par threes, 10,11,12 are the consecutive par three ( #11 had been shortened from a challenging par 4 to a par three because the trees on the right side had died off in the last 10 years, the City claimed they don't have the budget to put up the net to avoid neighbor's complain from the slicing tee shots ( being Seattle they don't want to fight it in the court even the golf course was built way before any of those houses were ). Future budget is unknown for allocation for the safety net on #11 at this point since the City kept funneling the revenue from the 3 City Golf Courses to other use in the Parks and recreational purpose.

I would not mind to run the golf course, but I'm lacking the minimum golf related experience posted, especially the turf management part. I do know how to run a business but that's besides the point.

The job title is probably already spoken for, the position posting is but a formality to show that the City is at the forefront of being Seattle way of doing things.

“ I feel like they are looking for new blood to inject into their programs.”

They are looking for someone they can push around and intimidate, and also for someone they can fire in 18 months when the program isn't making goals because the city council won’t allow profitable changes. Notice this position is not represented by a bargaining unit. It’s a scapegoat position.

For those whom qualify for the minimum requirement to the job, one, the proposed salary is not attractive.

Two, you're correct that the title comes with the dealing with the City manager , director for the Parks and recreation whom most likely is not a golfer.

Four, the golf course has 6 par threes, 10,11,12 are the consecutive par three ( #11 had been shortened from a challenging par 4 to a par three because the trees on the right side had died off in the last 10 years, the City claimed they don't have the budget to put up the net to avoid neighbor's complain from the slicing tee shots ( being Seattle they don't want to fight it in the court even the golf course was built way before any of those houses were ). Future budget is unknown for allocation for the safety net on #11 at this point since the City kept funneling the revenue from the 3 City Golf Courses to other use in the Parks and recreational purpose.

I would not mind to run the golf course, but I'm lacking the minimum golf related experience posted, especially the turf management part. I do know how to run a business but that's besides the point.

The job title is probably already spoken for, the position posting is but a formality to show that the City is at the forefront of being Seattle way of doing things.

Yes, you could be correct the job is already spoken for. From what you said in your post, it sounds like you're thinking this job manages Jefferson only. From what I read, the job actually is being head manager of all the Seattle courses. I believe each course has a head manager that would be reporting to this particular job role along with each courses maintenance crew. Premier Golf partners with City of Seattle to run the operations (tee times, pro shop, restaurant, etc..).

Other posts on WRX forums state that golf jobs don't pay too well. This one seems to pay more than other's than I've seen. Maybe not enough for how much work is involved. What type of pay should be expected with this type of job role?

" I feel like they are looking for new blood to inject into their programs."

They are looking for someone they can push around and intimidate, and also for someone they can fire in 18 months when the program isn't making goals because the city council won't allow profitable changes. Notice this position is not represented by a bargaining unit. It's a scapegoat position.

Yeah, I wouldn't think it would be represented by a bargaining unit since its a high level supervisory position. Could you please explain more on why they are looking for someone they can push around and intimidate?

That's what city council members do. This position is not desirable for anyone with the skills to competently fill it.

I respect your opinion. Although, it seems a little over generalized. Do you have experience dealing with the council members or is your opinion based off media and word of mouth?

I'm sure it wouldn't be a piece of cake job. The pay and benefits look pretty good compared to posts on WRX forums that say golf industry jobs do not pay well enough at certain levels. Of course high end PGA pros and golf business owners and sales staff probably get paid well.

It would be interesting to get other opinions on this. Especially anybody else who's had high level managerial experience working in municipal golf courses.

Yes, you could be correct the job is already spoken for. From what you said in your post, it sounds like you're thinking this job manages Jefferson only. From what I read, the job actually is being head manager of all the Seattle courses. I believe each course has a head manager that would be reporting to this particular job role along with each courses maintenance crew. Premier Golf partners with City of Seattle to run the operations (tee times, pro shop, restaurant, etc..).

Other posts on WRX forums state that golf jobs don't pay too well. This one seems to pay more than other's than I've seen. Maybe not enough for how much work is involved. What type of pay should be expected with this type of job role?

Sorry, didn't read the OP carefully.

Yes, Premier Golf manage all Seattle City Courses as well as many other. I thought the position was just the Jefferson Park. Obviously I was wrong.

Golf jobs in the entry level typically don't pay peanuts but when one reached the Head Professional, Management or in this case the multi level with multi golf courses, the pay is supposed to be quite decent. Not enough to get rich but certainly should commensurate with the local economy.

I had no clue what a manager in this level should be paid in the Seattle area, but think about this. Entry level I.T. guys makes $90 K to start. The average seasoned I.T. guys makes $150K and up. Average housing in and around Seattle area starts at around $800,000 K, that's considering a dip this year from last year's average by about 11%.

I firmly believes if one want the job done right with the "qualified" personnel, then, one has to pay the rate that could retain the quality person, instead of getting in the loop of seeking the position to be filled in a year or two.

City budget the maintenance, runs it's crew, manager will have a hat to wear but does not have 100% of authority to run the show. If I were qualified, I would not take this position ( but I'm not, so.... ).

If I have all the minimum qualification stated in the list, I should be a seasoned golf course manager and happily working somewhere else. Should I be considering this position, it has to offer the minimum to be able to sustain my family's stay around the City. With some savings of my own( assuming I have the savings for a down payment for a 3 bdrm house ). the job has to offer somewhere around $180 K and up depending on the benefits comes with it.

If anyone takes up the offer on the short end of the stick..... there must be a reason for it.

Yes, Premier Golf manage all Seattle City Courses as well as many other. I thought the position was just the Jefferson Park. Obviously I was wrong.

Golf jobs in the entry level typically don't pay peanuts but when one reached the Head Professional, Management or in this case the multi level with multi golf courses, the pay is supposed to be quite decent. Not enough to get rich but certainly should commensurate with the local economy.

I had no clue what a manager in this level should be paid in the Seattle area, but think about this. Entry level I.T. guys makes $90 K to start. The average seasoned I.T. guys makes $150K and up. Average housing in and around Seattle area starts at around $800,000 K, that's considering a dip this year from last year's average by about 11%.

I firmly believes if one want the job done right with the "qualified" personnel, then, one has to pay the rate that could retain the quality person, instead of getting in the loop of seeking the position to be filled in a year or two.

City budget the maintenance, runs it's crew, manager will have a hat to wear but does not have 100% of authority to run the show. If I were qualified, I would not take this position ( but I'm not, so.... ).

If I have all the minimum qualification stated in the list, I should be a seasoned golf course manager and happily working somewhere else. Should I be considering this position, it has to offer the minimum to be able to sustain my family's stay around the City. With some savings of my own( assuming I have the savings for a down payment for a 3 bdrm house ). the job has to offer somewhere around $180 K and up depending on the benefits comes with it.

If anyone takes up the offer on the short end of the stick..... there must be a reason for it.

Nice perspective on what the job may entail.

Entry level IT guys make $90 K to start? Which IT jobs are those? I work in the IT field and may only see those entry level salaries for maybe the top 15% of best coders and programmers coming out of grad school.

Nice perspective on what the job may entail.

Entry level IT guys make $90 K to start? Which IT jobs are those? I work in the IT field and may only see those entry level salaries for maybe the top 15% of best coders and programmers coming out of grad school.

My client told me Master of CS. After first annual review, either booted out or move on to $120 K. the second year.

I don't envy them, poor health and balding ( due to poor health resulted from work related stress, that's including the female ) after just a few years in the I.T. field. Most could not last into the 7th or the 8th year if not moved on to management.

Salaried base is the worst because they will make sure one can't finish one's work load with a 40 hours per week schedule. Most full timer put in from 50 hours + per week .

From the description of the qualification for the manager for the Seattle golf courses. One can pick out the specified field ( which looked like too customized for one thing, like a custom tailored list which very few could fill ). In other words, they had a candidate whom they want to hire, but because for the Protocol to fill an open position, they must post the open position to the public. In another word, they are not interested in someone whom could do a better job in management, they want a person to do it all, from the business point of view to the turf management for all three City owned golf courses.

Why bother to have the Head Professional's positions ? If they have a good Head Professional at helm, this position is just another spot to use up the budget. Kind of a bad practice, to use up the annual budget because they say if you don't use it , lose it .

Which also says loudly, this position is not a secured position.

Whatever we taught our children at the school, minimize to maximize.....only works well on the paper ( or spread sheet ), not always in the real life.

P.S. I was told there are quite a few New College grads with BS is CS got hired for $90K, might be exceptional but not uncommon if they have certificate to specialized skill and/or work experience ( internship )/

Its a very niche person they are looking for. It seems like the person who has the qualifications, skill and knowledge they desire might be smart enough to make more money with less pressure somewhere else. I have friends that work for our local city and it takes a certain type of person to put up with all the politics/BS they deal with.

I interviewed for a city position about 10 years ago and my final interview was with what seemed like 1/4 of the city council, the mayor, the city superintendent and a few other people. About 1/2 way through the interview i realized this job was going to involve at least 4 bosses all wanting/expecting different things. Im very grateful i noticed that before it was too late.

Its a very niche person they are looking for. It seems like the person who has the qualifications, skill and knowledge they desire might be smart enough to make more money with less pressure somewhere else. I have friends that work for our local city and it takes a certain type of person to put up with all the politics/BS they deal with.

I interviewed for a city position about 10 years ago and my final interview was with what seemed like 1/4 of the city council, the mayor, the city superintendent and a few other people. About 1/2 way through the interview i realized this job was going to involve at least 4 bosses all wanting/expecting different things. Im very grateful i noticed that before it was too late.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I think it's a very good point you made regarding the numerous bosses you would have to report to.

Should this particular job posting command more in the $200,000 range?

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I think it's a very good point you made regarding the numerous bosses you would have to report to.

Honestly i cant guess on what is fair financial compensation for this position since i know nothing about Seattle or the cost of living out there and didnt read much past their expected qualifications section. 1 thing with working for a city is you will not find better health benefits anywhere. Thats the main reason the people i know that work for the city do it. I would guess though since they have the salary at $95-142k per year they might be prepared to pay someone $95k that doesnt meet all their requirements and if you do and if you have a big family your health insurance could be another $20k on top of that so you could get close to the $200k mark. PLUS if you get free golf and actually get to use it well there is another big savings for us WRXers.

Not to mention the "clout" and influence you could have rubbing shoulders with other local officials and business owners.... Those too could lead to other financial gains AS LONG AS EVERYTHING IS LEGIT. As with anything though approach it right and it could be an AWESOME opportunity, do it wrong and it could be painful.

Honestly i cant guess on what is fair financial compensation for this position since i know nothing about Seattle or the cost of living out there and didnt read much past their expected qualifications section. 1 thing with working for a city is you will not find better health benefits anywhere. Thats the main reason the people i know that work for the city do it. I would guess though since they have the salary at $95-142k per year they might be prepared to pay someone $95k that doesnt meet all their requirements and if you do and if you have a big family your health insurance could be another $20k on top of that so you could get close to the $200k mark. PLUS if you get free golf and actually get to use it well there is another big savings for us WRXers.

Not to mention the "clout" and influence you could have rubbing shoulders with other local officials and business owners.... Those too could lead to other financial gains AS LONG AS EVERYTHING IS LEGIT. As with anything though approach it right and it could be an AWESOME opportunity, do it wrong and it could be painful.

Agree with the benefits as being a bonus. I know some city employees who mainly stay for the benefits, vacation, and pension.

Cost of living in Seattle could be more expensive. Housing prices are very expensive. It all depends also on your lifestyle and family situation. If you are single and make that type of money they are describing in the job posting then you could live pretty comfortably.

I think one of the challenges would be on how to motivate your maintenance crews and other hourly wage employees to do better since they do not work off bonuses or incentives.

Agree with the benefits as being a bonus. I know some city employees who mainly stay for the benefits, vacation, and pension.

Cost of living in Seattle could be more expensive. Housing prices are very expensive. It all depends also on your lifestyle and family situation. If you are single and make that type of money they are describing in the job posting then you could live pretty comfortably.

I think one of the challenges would be on how to motivate your maintenance crews and other hourly wage employees to do better since they do not work off bonuses or incentives.

Im sure there is a way to get them to improve. What is there like 9 motivating factors as to why people do the work they do? Pretty sure financial gains fall toward the bottom of that list too. Couple GREAT books out there on the subject. Might also just need to replace a few of those people too. Sucks to say though Some people arent worth the effort. Thats also where it gets tricky with civil employment situations like this. There might be a person that is totally USELESS but are protected by a union or some other group making it almost impossible to replace them. Again it could be a really awesome position or a complete nightmare depending on a few factors. Im guessing it would probably be a good gig if a person loved golf and knew how to be a good leader.

Do you know why the previous person left?

The job posting seems odd. All three Seattle Munis plus the Interbay driving range are operated by outside contractor Premier Golf Centers LLC. The City of Seattle should be looking for a contract oversight manager. The posted job responsibilities and qualifications are inappropriate for the job.

In my youth I regularly played the Jefferson Park, Jackson Park and West Seattle golf courses and have fond memories of them. And no, I do not claim to have ever played with Fred Couples at Jefferson, but for many years they had a picture of him as a young teenager (wearing a bucket hat) posted on a bulletin board in the clubhouse.

Im sure there is a way to get them to improve. What is there like 9 motivating factors as to why people do the work they do? Pretty sure financial gains fall toward the bottom of that list too. Couple GREAT books out there on the subject. Might also just need to replace a few of those people too. Sucks to say though Some people arent worth the effort. Thats also where it gets tricky with civil employment situations like this. There might be a person that is totally USELESS but are protected by a union or some other group making it almost impossible to replace them. Again it could be a really awesome position or a complete nightmare depending on a few factors. Im guessing it would probably be a good gig if a person loved golf and knew how to be a good leader.

Do you know why the previous person left?

I do not know who it is.

Although, all great points you just made.

Thanks.

I would expect a higher salary to be general manager of 4 courses, especially in Pacific Northwest. I’d expect that salary to manage one golf course in FL (local GM of the county course here is at the top end of that range to manage 1 facility) which is on the lower end nationwide for golf salaries.