2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

My Carry Bag Journey and Sun Mountain 4Plus First Impressions with UPDATE

I had a nice store credit burning a hole in my pocket and since I have an inexplicable love/obsession for golf bags, I decided to pull the trigger on this new model from SM in an effort to find the bag the best fits my needs.

First, a little more about what I've been using but also how I'm using my bags. I live in Orlando and carry a full 14 clubs 9 holes, twice a week at first tee time in the morning. I'lI also play 18 once or twice a month and I ride in a cart for those rounds. There's also some range time sprinkled in from time to time.

I have been using a Ping Hoofer Lite which is a just solid all around bag.

PROS

- Proven Ping quality and materials

- Best water bottle pocket in the game.

- No unnecessary bells and whistles

- Love the base. People complain about club tangle but this doesn't bother me cause I remove and put back clubs while the bag is standing straight up and before I engage the stand.

CONS

- Can get a little heavy carrying a full 14 clubs

- Not a fan of the new Ping graphics.

- Sounds stupid but there's nothing "sexy" about this bag

From the Hoofer Lite, I took advantage of the awesome Jones Black Friday sale and pulled the trigger on a Utility Rover.

PROS

- Really love the style and overall vibe from Jones. This is just a really cool bag.

- Super lightweight.

- Straps are very comfortable. Bag sits perfectly balanced and comfortable with a full set of clubs.

- Nice glove Velcro patch

- Not really about the bag, but my entire experience dealing with the company has been best in class.

CONS

- Still can't decide if I want/need a stand bag

- No umbrella holder. I can count on two fingers how many times I've used an umbrella on a course within the past year BUT I still hate that Jones couldn't add two little stupid straps to satisfy this very basic bag feature.

- Not a fan of the cooler pocket. I guess I could use it for balls but still.

- Club tangle. I'm carrying 14 clubs (4-LW in the lower compartment and D, 3W, HY, and putter in the top compartment). For what it's worth, I really think people on the forum put way too emphasis on club tangle, especially when dealing with smaller carry bags. I KNEW I would be dealing with club tangle before I even bought this BUT I felt the compromise for a smaller overall package was worth it for me. Having said that, it's still a con.

- Club Organization. Top half is fine but the bottom half is the Wild Wild West where irons and wedges fight it out.

Now on to the 4Plus. This is a brand new model that SM says is for the "minimalist golfer." I identified with this and when I factored in that it's lightweight (4 lbs) and the fact that I really dug the cactus green color, I decided "why not?" so I ordered it through my local Edwin Watts. Big shout out to EW for always having great customer service.

I picked the bag up yesterday and took the below pics in the parking lot. First thought was I liked the green but wasn't in love with the orange accent colors. Living in Florida, I immediately thought of the Miami Hurricanes. This wasn't a dealbreaker because I was planning on getting some custom embroidery on the ball pocket in a third color and that would help squash any Canes thoughts.

While the bag is lightweight and doesn't have any extra or unnecessary pockets, I wouldn't describe this as "minimalist." I guess coming from Jones, my expectations are different now. Another WRXer called Sun Mountain's latest golf bags "techie" and I couldn't agree more. It's a cool but really modern bag and I'm not sure if I like the contrast with my headcovers.

On a somewhat related note, I really hate when golf companies label what each bag feature is - glove Velcro patch, water bottle pocket, etc. Golfers aren't idiots (unless they're playing in the group in front of you) and we don't need to be told that the skinny little pocket is for a golf pencil. May sound nitpicky, but the 4Plus labels the water bottle pocket "HYDRATION". Not only am I not a fan of the label, the pocket itself seems pretty rigid with not a lot of give to it.

Some quick Pros/Cons

PROS

- Lightweight

- Club organization

- Nice stand system

- No noticeable tangle

- Comfortable straps

CONS

- too modern styling

- external designated tee holder is not "minimalist"

- no glove Velcro

- water bottle pocket

- "tent-like" bag material. I've owned a couple SM bags before so I wasn't surprised by this but I still prefer the seemingly more durable material found in Hoofers.

These are very rough first impressions and NOT a full bag review but I haven't seen anything online about this new model so I might as well put something up.

I have decided that I'm going to return the 4Plus and use the shop credit for something else down the road. I'm going to give the Jones another shot as my go-to bag. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever reason, my apostrophes are absent when viewing from the mobile app but they’re there on desktop.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

Nice bag, great to see a nice bag in a color other than black. I don't see your bag as minimalist, though.

I just laid to rest a Sun Mountain Sunday X-Strap bag I bought in 2012. Used it along with an original Jones bought around the same time. Carried the SM, much more, for the SM was tattered beyond repair and the Jones is still like new.

The x strap was excellent for the minimalist like myself, who plays 5-7 clubs, and carries only a few balls as gear. The Jones can pretty much handle a full set, albeit tight.

Keep us posted on how your bag wears.

Enjoy.

I had a nice store credit burning a hole in my pocket and since I have an inexplicable love/obsession for golf bags, I decided to pull the trigger on this new model from SM in an effort to find the bag the best fits my needs.

First, a little more about what I've been using but also how I'm using my bags. I live in Orlando and carry a full 14 clubs 9 holes, twice a week at first tee time in the morning. I'lI also play 18 once or twice a month and I ride in a cart for those rounds. There's also some range time sprinkled in from time to time.

I have been using a Ping Hoofer Lite which is a just solid all around bag.

PROS

- Proven Ping quality and materials

- Best water bottle pocket in the game.

- No unnecessary bells and whistles

- Love the base. People complain about club tangle but this doesn't bother me cause I remove and put back clubs while the bag is standing straight up and before I engage the stand.

CONS

- Can get a little heavy carrying a full 14 clubs

- Not a fan of the new Ping graphics.

- Sounds stupid but there's nothing "sexy" about this bag

From the Hoofer Lite, I took advantage of the awesome Jones Black Friday sale and pulled the trigger on a Utility Rover.

PROS

- Really love the style and overall vibe from Jones. This is just a really cool bag.

- Super lightweight.

- Straps are very comfortable. Bag sits perfectly balanced and comfortable with a full set of clubs.

- Nice glove Velcro patch

- Not really about the bag, but my entire experience dealing with the company has been best in class.

CONS

- Still can't decide if I want/need a stand bag

- No umbrella holder. I can count on two fingers how many times I've used an umbrella on a course within the past year BUT I still hate that Jones couldn't add two little stupid straps to satisfy this very basic bag feature.

- Not a fan of the cooler pocket. I guess I could use it for balls but still.

- Club tangle. I'm carrying 14 clubs (4-LW in the lower compartment and D, 3W, HY, and putter in the top compartment). For what it's worth, I really think people on the forum put way too emphasis on club tangle, especially when dealing with smaller carry bags. I KNEW I would be dealing with club tangle before I even bought this BUT I felt the compromise for a smaller overall package was worth it for me. Having said that, it's still a con.

- Club Organization. Top half is fine but the bottom half is the Wild Wild West where irons and wedges fight it out.

Now on to the 4Plus. This is a brand new model that SM says is for the "minimalist golfer." I identified with this and when I factored in that it's lightweight (4 lbs) and the fact that I really dug the cactus green color, I decided "why not?" so I ordered it through my local Edwin Watts. Big shout out to EW for always having great customer service.

I picked the bag up yesterday and took the below pics in the parking lot. First thought was I liked the green but wasn't in love with the orange accent colors. Living in Florida, I immediately thought of the Miami Hurricanes. This wasn't a dealbreaker because I was planning on getting some custom embroidery on the ball pocket in a third color and that would help squash any Canes thoughts.

While the bag is lightweight and doesn't have any extra or unnecessary pockets, I wouldn't describe this as "minimalist." I guess coming from Jones, my expectations are different now. Another WRXer called Sun Mountain's latest golf bags "techie" and I couldn't agree more. It's a cool but really modern bag and I'm not sure if I like the contrast with my headcovers.

On a somewhat related note, I really hate when golf companies label what each bag feature is - glove Velcro patch, water bottle pocket, etc. Golfers aren't idiots (unless they're playing in the group in front of you) and we don't need to be told that the skinny little pocket is for a golf pencil. May sound nitpicky, but the 4Plus labels the water bottle pocket "HYDRATION". Not only am I not a fan of the label, the pocket itself seems pretty rigid with not a lot of give to it.

Some quick Pros/Cons

PROS

- Lightweight

- Club organization

- Nice stand system

- No noticeable tangle

- Comfortable straps

CONS

- too modern styling

- external designated tee holder is not "minimalist"

- no glove Velcro

- water bottle pocket

- "tent-like" bag material. I've owned a couple SM bags before so I wasn't surprised by this but I still prefer the seemingly more durable material found in Hoofers.

These are very rough first impressions and NOT a full bag review but I haven't seen anything online about this new model so I might as well put something up.

I have decided that I'm going to return the 4Plus and use the shop credit for something else down the road. I'm going to give the Jones another shot as my go-to bag. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

How do you like the straps ? They comfy ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I spy a 2016-2017 PING Hoofer or 4 Series in the trunk, too. I think we'd get along well, I have a similar golf bag obsession. I've finally widdled down to 1 bag (2016-2017 4 Series). Hoping to still be using the same one this time next year.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

The Ping L8 with a stand and the soft fuzz around the club dividers is always a great selection. I use a Jones Utility Rover now most of the time. But I have many Sunday style bags and Ping bags. I have a lot of golf bags.

Jones Original

Jones Players

Jones Utility Rover (favorite bag)

Three- Ping L8’s

Ping Hoofer

Ping Moonlite

Two Titleist Sunday style carry bags.

Ping Sunday style bag

I wish Ping would release a new model L8 style. A new Ping L8 plus would be great. My L8s have a lot of miles on them at this point.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

I spy a 2016-2017 PING Hoofer or 4 Series in the trunk, too. I think we'd get along well, I have a similar golf bag obsession. I've finally widdled down to 1 bag (2016-2017 4 Series). Hoping to still be using the same one this time next year.

Good eye. Yes, that’s a 4 Series. It’s a solid bag that I got second hand for a steal. I’ve been using it mostly in my backup set that I use for out of town guests. I would consider it for my primary bag but the white gets dirty way too easily.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

The Ping L8 with a stand and the soft fuzz around the club dividers is always a great selection. I use a Jones Utility Rover now most of the time. But I have many Sunday style bags and Ping bags. I have a lot of golf bags.

Jones Original

Jones Players

Jones Utility Rover (favorite bag)

Three- Ping L8’s

Ping Hoofer

Two Titleist Sunday style carry bags.

Ping Sunday style bag

I wish Ping would release a new model L8 style. A new Ping L8 plus would be great. My L8s have a lot of miles on them at this point.

I though I was bad! :) I would love to see a new L8! I actually found an old one on Craigslist in absolutely mint condition that only cost me $20 that included some sweet headcovers. I wanted to like the bag for myself but it just lacked way too many common features of today’s bags. I flipped the bag on eBay for a solid $120. Nice little return for my ridiculous bag obsession.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

@bunta, yes they are comfortable. The 4Plus straps feel better than the Hoofer but not as good as the Jones.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

You know I forgot about some of my clubs in our second attic. I have a couple more bags up their but nothing special. Older L8 with no fuzz or legs and a Nike bag that I won.

Yeah I have too many, have one for sale on bay now.

Do you use both straps on the Utility Rover? I really enjoy that feature. But they sometimes get cumbersome.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

You know I forgot about some of my clubs in our second attic. I have a couple more bags up their but nothing special. Older L8 with no fuzz or legs and a Nike bag that I won.

Yeah I have too many, have one for sale on bay now.

Do you use both straps on the Utility Rover? I really enjoy that feature. But they sometimes get cumbersome.

Yes, I use both straps about 60% of the time. I don’t find them cumbersome at all.

Quick update: I played 18 yesterday and it was the first time I used the Utility Rover on a cart. While it technically worked, it moved around a lot and tangle/disorganization has got me giving the 4Plus a fair shot.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

UPDATE

I sold the Jones Utility Rover and the Hoofer Lite and have committed to the SM 4 Plus. Since the first post, I've walked 9 holes twice and can now give this bag a better review.

- The stand is very quick to engage and retract, unlike the Hoofer Lite where sometimes I would have to push the legs back when carrying.

- The straps fit well on the shoulders and are really comfortable. I've always preferred a dual strap or X strap system for those short walks when you only need one strap BUT this strap system works well for both dual and single strap carry.

- There are these orange loops on the straps that I had no idea what they were for so I called Sun Mountain. The rep said that these types of loops are usually found on nicer hiking backpacks and they're for holding on to for comfort. SM figured to try it out on the 4Plus.

On a related note, the rep said that this bag is somewhat of an experiment for SM and was designed to fit in between the 3.5 and 4.5. I'm sure he was joking but he said they had a bunch of extra material laying around so they're trying out the new model.

Overall, I'm so far pleased with the 4Plus but who's to tell in a few months when I have some extra Paypal cash hiding from the wife and a new bag or color comes out.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

Is it waterproof? Does it have an external pedal for the leg system? How does it sit on a push cart?

Not waterproof. Yes it has a pedal (see pic). No idea on push cart. It does have the stand retaining elastic bands so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

In case someone is till following th thread....

Stitch. Waterproof, umbrella holder, superlight (under 4 lbs) carry or cart. Faux leather. I love mine.

Funny you say that. I looked into the Stitch bag and was very close to pulling the trigger when they had the $250 package deal with the headcovers. At the time though, I was unsure of the two-way divider and single strap for my needs so I didn't go through with it. Since my brief experience with the Jones, I think I can make that type of bag work now and am somewhat regretting it.

How do you like carrying a full set with only a single strap?

Ping G425 Max Driver

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  

In case someone is till following th thread....

Stitch. Waterproof, umbrella holder, superlight (under 4 lbs) carry or cart. Faux leather. I love mine.

Funny you say that. I looked into the Stitch bag and was very close to pulling the trigger when they had the $250 package deal with the headcovers. At the time though, I was unsure of the two-way divider and single strap for my needs so I didn't go through with it. Since my brief experience with the Jones, I think I can make that type of bag work now and am somewhat regretting it.

How do you like carrying a full set with only a single strap?

When I carry with my Stitch bag, I only carry 11 clubs to lighten the load. I've only used a single strap carry bag in 30 years of playing. Most Tour caddies only use the single strap.

The Stitch bag easily hold 14 clubs. No tangles when I ride with 14 clubs. Some might find it a negative, but the pockets are not large for carrying a lot of stuff. For me, I carry a few balls and cell phone, so its fine for me.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I can update my experience. I agree with OP some of the labeling is a little much, but doesn't really bother me. What I really liked was the thickly padded straps as much as anything. It really does add comfort. I love the bag. I've gotten used to the differences from my previous Nike Hybrid 14-way.

But, this season I've already had one replaced because the one I first got the waterproof pocket was not. Now about two months later, the fabric is wearing just above the back pad, where the ring for the top ends. I don't overload the bag I don't think. So I don't know what is going on. But I am probably a couple of rounds from a rip which could become a real problem.

Biggest problem as well is being in Canada, and Sun Mountain does not have a distributor it appears. My pro has to deal with Montana. Horrible.....

Really sucks cause it's a great bag, but if it doesn't hold up, for the price I paid, I may not be recommending it long term.

• 3 weeks later...

> @Bluefan75 said:

> I can update my experience. I agree with OP some of the labeling is a little much, but doesn't really bother me. What I really liked was the thickly padded straps as much as anything. It really does add comfort. I love the bag. I've gotten used to the differences from my previous Nike Hybrid 14-way.

>

> But, this season I've already had one replaced because the one I first got the waterproof pocket was not. Now about two months later, the fabric is wearing just above the back pad, where the ring for the top ends. I don't overload the bag I don't think. So I don't know what is going on. But I am probably a couple of rounds from a rip which could become a real problem.

>

> Biggest problem as well is being in Canada, and Sun Mountain does not have a distributor it appears. My pro has to deal with Montana. Horrible.....

>

> Really sucks cause it's a great bag, but if it doesn't hold up, for the price I paid, I may not be recommending it long term.

Updating to show. Had this bag for about 2 months. Real shame cause I love this bag.8069ftgzlrna.jpg

• 1 year later...