2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How uneducated on equipment is the general public?

AbSWFPGA

Even if the general public has no clue, you’d think that the guy who spent the cash on the high end shaft originally would know it.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a buddy who doesn't care about equipment at all. And is a way better golfer than me. I'm sure he thinks I'm the sucker for giving a rip about equipment and constantly researching clubs and (in the old days) swapping out clubs like I swapped socks.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Even if the general public has no clue, you’d think that the guy who spent the cash on the high end shaft originally would know it.

I once had a guy in for a fitting. He was a brand new golfer. He only wanted the most expensive clubs/shaft combo. He said “I want the most expensive graphite shaft in my irons, because that’s the best”.

You’d be surprised how often that happens.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I once had a guy in for a fitting. He was a brand new golfer. He only wanted the most expensive clubs/shaft combo. He said “I want the most expensive graphite shaft in my irons, because that’s the best”.

You’d be surprised how often that happens.

We had lots of guys ike that when I worked in the biz back in the 90’s.

Most extreme example was one Japanese businessman that came into our shop near John Wayne Airport every time he came to town Once or twice a year.

He would ask what the newest “best” equipment was in the shop. He would then tell us to put together TWO full sets of said equipment. Everything. Woods, irons, wedges, putter, leather staff bags. One set for him and one set for a business associate at home.

The last time he came in before I moved on to another job he dropped $7000+ on two sets of Callaway everything. He was in and out in 30 minutes.

That was back when pros still got paid decent commission. $700 for me and the other assistant pro to split. There was a great deal of alcohol consumed later that night at the sports bar down the street.

Given the countless articles, tests and real world experiences saying that upgraded shafts do not vastly improve club performance I’d say the clueless one is probably the guy dropping $380 on a driver shaft.

Then again, with so many of those folks around I’d buy it and flip it for the profit. A sucker is born every minute.

Given the countless articles, tests and real world experiences saying that upgraded shafts do not vastly improve club performance I’d say the clueless one is probably the guy dropping $380 on a driver shaft.

Then again, with so many of those folks around I’d buy it and flip it for the profit. A sucker is born every minute.

Hey!! What the heck are you talking about man! Shut ur dirty pie hole!!

I know my $380 “Tour issue” super low spin low torque high kick ultra high modulous 1100 ton fiber titanium nickel boron graphene Kevlar super shaft is damn well giving me 20 extra yards and sub 2000 spin and 50% improved dispersion!! The guys at Mitsufujidila told me so. LOL!!

; )

I've been in the golf industry (golf course management, proshop/retail sales, etc) for 25 years now, and been around golfers all of my life. I can tell you countless stories of my customers not even being able to tell me what manufacturer, much less model of club they play when I ask them (I've always been a gear nerd, so I ask a lot). I've had plenty of customers have to go out to their golf cart and look in their bag to see what irons they play when I've asked the question, and I'm talking players that routinely break 80, all the way down to sub-70s. Golfers in general do not look at nor care about this stuff. I talk (or at least attempt to) talk equipment with most of the regulars that come in my proshop, and it still surprises me at how little the average player knows about...well...any of their own equipment, or any current equipment on the market. Now I'm in, and always have been in the daily fee segment of golf, and never managed a private club, so those players (private club players) may be a bit more in the know, but the average daily fee player doesn't have a clue about equipment. Not that this is a knock on them, it's just the way it is. The vast majority of highly skilled golfers I know/encounter have several generations old clubs that they weren't fit for and just play and familiarize themselves with how to get the best results from those sticks.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but sometimes, it mildly irritates me how dismissive most of my playing buddies (and golfers in my area in general) are about their bags. My friends are probably aware that I know more about golf equipment than the average fella, but they almost make a point to express how little they know or care about what they are playing with on the rare occasion that it comes up. I could talk about golf gear all day, but I pretty much keep to myself about it because most people I play with really don't care to go into it. Clubs are just clubs to them. We aren't just quarterly hackers, either. We play at least once (sometimes twice or three times) a week during peak season and into the winter.

IMO, its just as bad as being an ultimate club ho to be the guy on the other end of the spectrum that claims to care so little about what he is hitting in his bag every week. Don't get me wrong, I have much respect for players that stick with what they have always used because it works, just not so much for the more common golfer that won't buy new clubs because they think its snobby to have a nice bag that they believe could only be bought for 100% retail. The point is not the amount of money one can spend on clubs or to have the latest and greatest, its the smart thing to buy what works for your game to the best of what can be afforded, and most importantly, is that much more fun and a true confidence builder to pull out clubs that are near perfect for you in looks and playability and land that 8 iron close to the pin. It doesn't cost a bunch of money or time if done correctly. One friend of mine brings up at least once a round how he needs to "run down to Dick's and grab a driver" to fix the issue his current gamer is causing him. He has incredible power, quick tempo and when he gets hot, the ball really isn't landing short of 285, but insists that a proper fitting for an X flex (possibly aftermarket) shaft would be too much hassle. He is vocal about not liking to spend money on equipment, and there is no problem with that at all, but the last thing he needs is to pay retail on a driver that isn't right for him. I've even offered to help him find a deal on whatever works. Myself? I have saved a ton of money and have been able to tailor my clubs for my game by staying away from places like Dick's and doing minimal research on the internet. It seems like a no-brainer to me but of course there is always another side of the coin. Club fitting can sound like a very complex ordeal and I guess most people just feel more comfortable buying off the rack with little knowledge of anything other than which companies are most popular.

Thank God I can retreat after my rounds back to the golf ho utopia that is GolfWRX!

Man, I feel better now. Thanks, guys.

Beyond R or S flex and steel or graphite I would say 95% of the golfers I know have no clue or care to.

I understand a bit more than most but not sure what benefit it has had on my game. I do however know what it did for my wallet.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

You don't have to know a lot about equipment to be a good golfer.

The title of the thread is a bit weird and borderline condescending, to be honest. It's sort of like saying ".....dude, do you even lift?"

Outside of this, and a couple other remote corners of the internet, people do not know and do not care about launch angles, spin rates, and grams of shaft weight. Nor does it really matter, frankly. Heck, someone just shot 63 in q school with a randomly-assembled set -- under the pressure cooker of q school!

Take a step back from GolfWRX for a moment and consider the reality of golf for the huge majority of players. I'd wager this is what most players care about.

1. Did I beat my buddy?

2. Did I like the golf course? Was it fun?

3. Did I shoot 82 or 84?

4. Was the beer cold?

5. How many times did my cell phone ring? Was it my boss, or my wife?

6. How many balls did I lose?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Trade-in values are based on model and condition, not shaft so I'm assuming unless the store manager is astute and knows equipment they list all the same clubs at the same price and if someone gets lucky they find a premium shaft mixed in at the same price as the standard shafts.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Given the countless articles, tests and real world experiences saying that upgraded shafts do not vastly improve club performance I'd say the clueless one is probably the guy dropping $380 on a driver shaft.

Then again, with so many of those folks around I'd buy it and flip it for the profit. A sucker is born every minute.

AMEN TO THIS!! I tried out a Kyoshi White when the $1000 R1 came out. Liked the shaft and hated the head. 2 tyrs later I pick one up for just over $100. Still have it in my White Fly-Z+. Nice club!!

BT

Given the countless articles, tests and real world experiences saying that upgraded shafts do not vastly improve club performance I'd say the clueless one is probably the guy dropping $380 on a driver shaft.

Then again, with so many of those folks around I'd buy it and flip it for the profit. A sucker is born every minute.

Hey!! What the heck are you talking about man! Shut ur dirty pie hole!!

I know my $380 "Tour issue" super low spin low torque high kick ultra high modulous 1100 ton fiber titanium nickel boron graphene Kevlar super shaft is damn well giving me 20 extra yards and sub 2000 spin and 50% improved dispersion!! The guys at Mitsufujidila told me so. LOL!!

; )

You made me spit my coffee!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Golf is like any hobby, some people get into the minute details of the game (like many here) and others just know enough to be dangerous. Many are clueless about equipment beyond the brand and model. I just got back from Florida and half the guys are swinging Rogue drivers because one guy bought one and was hitting the ball longer than his 10 year old Ping driver so everyone followed. They all bought off the shelf, didn't test any other shafts and all swear they added 10+ yards to their drives. When I asked why they didn't test other shafts, they looked at me like a dog does when it hears a weird sound and said they didn't know they could select a different shaft. One guy who is older but still has a lot of swing speed bought it with a senior flex because the sales guy asked him his age and told him to go with senior flex.

Some of these guys are single digit golfers, so handicap does not appear to be a true indicator of whether someone understands the nuances of equipment.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I just bought a set of Miura baby blades 1-pw in 8.5-9 condition for $450 just so I can flip. Sometimes people don't know what they have. Guy was thrilled to get rid of them! Thought they were component set...

:swoon:

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

My group plays 2 times a week and the breakdown is

Me - I obsess over gear and know every detail about my clubs and how I’ve been fit, learning to have clubs that fit my game well.

Buddy 1- talks gear all the time and has a well fit set, custom shafts that came with it when he bought them on eBay, doesn’t care much about what’s new, but it aware if his stuff is getting dated.

Buddy 2- bag is extremely mixed buys his stuff from eBay etc..... cares really more about how it looks in his bag opposed to performance , keeps up with new stuff only if he’s seen it in a golf store

Buddy 3 - has irons and wedges from the 80s and a putter from wall mart , JUST NOW got a burner super fast driver at play it again sports and changed his tee game lol.

So various degrees of knowledge from the “obsessed” to the “don’t care at all”

Either way you cut it I don’t think anybody should ever be judged about what they know about theirs equipment, matter of fact guys I play with always ask me what’s new and if their stuff fits their game. After discussion a lot of times they’ll drop something that hurts their game and go grab something that helps. I’m more in the camp of play stuff that fits generally , so you don’t suffer lol

G400 LST
TM SLDR TS
Apex UT 18'
Apex MB 18'
RTX 2.0 Raw
Ping Anser Milled

I work in a golf shop and I am constantly behind on shafts and whatnot.

There's a very clear point of diminished returns on shaft fitting for most golfers. Most amateur golfers (including me...4 index) won't really gain anything from spending more on an exotic shaft.

Most people who know a lot about shafts and are paying a lot more for them are buying into what they have read about what the shaft will do for them. It seems that everyone who knows about shafts is out to kill spin an have a more piercing trajectory so the ball doesn't balloon on them and cost them distance.

I mean...everyone on WRX needs special shafts, obviously. I'm just commenting on the general public here.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

I know my equipment specs......I like my shafts to be green! Is that a good way to choose!?��

Actually, when I peruse the rack,of used drivers at the big box stores, I look down low first to see if there are any high dollar shafts. Once in a while you’ll find one attached to an old head, with a corresponding low price tag.

Strolling the Pga tour superstore the other day doing some Christmas shopping I come across a m4 driver with a tour ad IZ 6x shaft in it. It was listed for 249$. Also on the same used rack was another m4 with a stock shaft for the same price!!!. The Tour ad shaft is 380$ new and so isn't the head and this thing was in great shape. So the person who traded it in must not realize the shaft that was in that driver. Pga superstore also must not realize the shaft that was in this club. If I wasn't in love with my driver I would have snagged that up. Still shocked both parties (guy who traded in and Pga superstore) did not realize the value of this club. Any other wrxers ever encounter anything like this?

There are people out there that have lots of money

An example, my brother in law has a friend, he buys 200 dollar foot joys, wears them a few rounds and tossed them because they're dirty.

Where does this guy keep his bin? Some bargains in that!

In regards to the OP, the general pubic just want a new club which a flex shaft they know they use, not brand weight etc. How many people actually get fitted? I know I should, but I won't I dont take it to serious, im out for a round of fun.