Golf records unlikely to ever be broken

Roadking2003

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for looking that up. I know it's a fantastic record. Do you know how it compares to other top players like Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Mickelson, Norman, McIlroy, etc?

Ok, I was curious so I looked up some more recent stats..(2016)

Below is the winning percentage for every active PGA Tour player with 10 or more wins.

• Tiger Woods: 79 wins in 324 events -- 24.2 percent
  • Phil Mickelson: 42 wins in 542 events -- 7.75 percent
  • Vijay Singh: 34 wins in 584 events -- 5.82 percent
  • Davis Love III: 21 wins in 733 events -- 2.86 percent
  • Ernie Els: 19 wins in 420 events -- 4.52 percent
  • Jim Furyk: 17 wins in 551 events -- 3.09 percent
  • David Toms: 13 wins in 607 events -- 2.14 percent
  • Adam Scott: 13 wins in 259 events -- 5.02 percent
  • Zach Johnson: 12 wins in 330 events -- 3.64 percent
  • Justin Leonard: 12 wins in 583 events -- 2.06 percent
  • Steve Stricker: 12 wins in 459 events -- 2.61 percent
  • Dustin Johnson: 11 wins in 194 events -- 5.67 percent
  • Rory McIlroy: 11 wins in 111 events -- 9.91 percent
  • Jason Day: 10 wins in 184 events -- 5.43 percent

Thanks for doing all that! We can add Jordan to the list now as well and hope you don't mind me updating some of the numbers:

· Tiger Woods: 80 wins in 346 events -- 23.12 percent

· Phil Mickelson: 43 wins in 597 events -- 7.20 percent

· Vijay Singh: 34 wins in 624 events -- 5.45 percent

· Dustin Johnson: 19 wins in 242 events -- 7.85 percent

· Ernie Els: 19 wins in 468 events -- 4.01 percent

· Rory McIlroy: 14 wins in 150 events -- 9.33 percent

· Jordan Spieth: 11 wins in 152 events -- 7.24 percent

· Jason Day: 12 wins in 233 events -- 5.15 percent

And a few other notables.

· Jack Nicklaus: 73 wins in 628 events – 11.62 percent

· Sam Snead: 82 wins in 585 events – 14.02 percent

· Ben Hogan : 64 wins in 301 events – 21.26 percent

· Arnold Palmer: 62 wins in 757 events – 8.19 percent

· Byron Nelson: 52 wins in 290 events – 17.93 percent

· Billy Casper: 51 wins in 589 events – 8.66 percent

· Tom Watson: 39 wins in 639 events – 6.10 percent

· Gary Player: 24 wins in 488 events – 4.92 percent

Because Jack and and Arnie played in so many events here is a more fair comparison which only goes up to their last win at ages 46 and 44 respectively:

· Jack Nicklaus: 73 wins in 494 events – 14.78 percent

· Arnold Palmer: 62 wins in 495 events – 12.53 percent

Also, this is a pain, but the Open Championship is not included as an official start for anything pre-1995 which is why some of my numbers are higher than the ones on the Tour's website. This is why Jack actually had 111 cuts made in a row instead of the more commonly quoted 105; he had 6 Opens in that streak which are unrecognized.

Also, it looks like Tiger's win percentage is in serious jeopardy! Assuming Tiger can maintain a full schedule in his 40's he will probably need to win another 20 times just to keep pace with the Hawk.

54 hole leads

Jack in majors with the 54 hole lead alone 8 for 8

If he's tied for the lead 10 out of 12.

He had 8 comebacks.

Jack has won The Masters, US Open and British Open in a playoff, Tiger has playoff wins in The Masters, US Open and PGA.

Both Jack and Tiger have blown 4 shot leads after 36 holes in a major.

I mentioned Jack won 17 seasons in a row on the PGA Tour. He won TWICE each of those seasons and finished fourth or better every one of those years on the money list.

Thanks for looking that up. I know it's a fantastic record. Do you know how it compares to other top players like Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Mickelson, Norman, McIlroy, etc?

Below is the winning percentage for every active PGA Tour player with 10 or more wins.

Thanks for doing all that! We can add Jordan to the list now as well and hope you don't mind me updating some of the numbers:

Because Jack and and Arnie played in so many events here is a more fair comparison which only goes up to their last win at ages 46 and 44 respectively:

Also, this is a pain, but the Open Championship is not included as an official start for anything pre-1995 which is why some of my numbers are higher than the ones on the Tour's website. This is why Jack actually had 111 cuts made in a row instead of the more commonly quoted 105; he had 6 Opens in that streak which are unrecognized.

Also, it looks like Tiger's win percentage is in serious jeopardy! Assuming Tiger can maintain a full schedule in his 40's he will probably need to win another 20 times just to keep pace with the Hawk.

Wow. That is amazing. Imagine if Tiger played over 600 events over his career. 24 percent win rate over his career? Unreal.

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Tiger's overall conversion rate when he held the lead after 54 holes.

One was in his rookie season, the other with yang in 2009, so from the time he won his first major in 1997 until he won his last in 2008 he never coughed up an outright lead.

Its a crazy conversion rate.

What was his conversion rate and How does that compare with others?

Here you go Pro

@JustinRayGC

Converting outright 54-hole leads on the PGA Tour:

Tiger Woods' career: 95% (42-for-44)

Entire Tour since 2013: 42%

I think it would be safe to say it's better than Greg Normans.

Like Douglas beating Tyson. Btw, the new 30 for 30 on douglas/tyson is really good.

Not taking anything away from Buster, but it was an awfully long 9 count.

Yeah, I saw the fight. Never seen Mike 1.0 get taken apart like that. I remember us being in shock at BD just beating the crap out of him then...BAM! That Tyson uppercut and BD getting up and going back to work.

If you can, check out the 30 for 30. There is an amazing backstory on Buster, how talented he really was, and what happened in his life to focus him to enable him to put all the pieces together that night.

I don't know if it's been mentioned and apologies if it has but no Player in the history of the game has won as many times as Tiger did in his 20's~ 46 victories. To give some clarity to that, Jack had 30 championships and Rory(McIlroy, not Sabbs��), Jordan & Jason have 29, COMBINED, with only Jordan under 27yo. Also, just for the icing, Tiger's 2000 scoring average, lowest in tour history at 67.79(adjusted, and 68.17 unadjusted). If any of you think that that's not as impressive as any of his other feats, or the chances of someone bettering that, ask Patrick or Isaac the odds of someone topping that, haha��M

Yup! I mentioned it in post #54 :-)

Sorry DC :) I tried to read all of the posts and accomplishments and I thought that I’d found one, hahaha. Have a nice weekend :) M

485 putts inside 5 ft without a miss. TW in 2005. It could be broken, but its one of my favorite Tiger stats.

I was going to post this. Also one of my favorite stats. To go ~27 rounds without missing anything under 5 feet. It doesn’t seem possible.

I’ll add that Hogan’s wins (and Snead’s too) are made all the more impressive by the fact they were both such terrible putters! Watch the Shell tourney of Hogan vs Snead. Hogan wins by hitting 18/18 greens. You can watch their dare i say ugly hacker putting strokes. They could stripe the ball, but couldn’t roll it.

“You can watch their dare i say ugly hacker putting strokes. They could stripe the ball, but couldn’t roll it.”

You aren’t even going to acknowledge that greens in their era were slower, longer and bumpier than the practice tee on today’s tour? A slow, smooth stroke wasn’t possible or useful.

Well, that's not what you asked Pro.. But since you're searching.. I will assist with my google-fu.. Forget the rest, let's compare the best (and I love trevino..)

Who is "Pro"?

And what's up with the "FU"?

A simple question needs a simple answer. Not a "I love TW so much that I just have to post more and more records even when it's off topic" response.

Still no answer to my question.

But since you posted some data, you should know that your list is out of date.

Wow. That is amazing. Imagine if Tiger played over 600 events over his career. 24 percent win rate over his career? Unreal.

Imagine if he had played 1000 events with 24% win rate. That's 240 wins!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone (like me) was wondering if anyone's come close to Nelson's 11 wins in a row:

Player Year(s)

11 wins Byron Nelson 1945

7 wins Tiger Woods 2006–2007

6 wins Ben Hogan 1948

Tiger Woods 1999–2000

5 wins Tiger Woods 2007–2008

4 wins Byron Nelson 1945–1946

Jack Burke, Jr. 1952

Ben Hogan 1953

Bunch of guys with 3, most recent being Rory in 2014, DJ in 2017.

Tiger's 89 consecutive rounds beating the field (i.e. the average score for the day). It's hard to imagine that getting beaten.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Like Douglas beating Tyson. Btw, the new 30 for 30 on douglas/tyson is really good.

Yeah, I saw the fight. Never seen Mike 1.0 get taken apart like that. I remember us being in shock at BD just beating the crap out of him then...BAM! That Tyson uppercut and BD getting up and going back to work.

If you can, check out the 30 for 30. There is an amazing backstory on Buster, how talented he really was, and what happened in his life to focus him to enable him to put all the pieces together that night.

I know about the Buster back story. Unfortunately he was only truly motivated for this one fight. And he was lucky to meet Mike when he was on the slide. The high life had already taken the hunger and pure animal aggression out of him. Mike in 85/6 was not the same fighter as the guy Buster faced. 80s Mike was a ferocious trainer with a single minded focus on being the worlds heavyweight champ. He would do thousands of push-ups and sit-ups a day, run at 4 in the morning, and train for hours in the gym. His speed, power and athleticism at 19/20 is unsurpassed for a heavyweight. Watching him train back then sends shivers down your spine. He was never going to be able to keep that level of intensity and dedication after he won the belt, but on the way up in the mid 80s he was something else.

Well, that's not what you asked Pro.. But since you're searching.. I will assist with my google-fu.. Forget the rest, let's compare the best (and I love trevino..)

Who is "Pro"?

And what's up with the "FU"?

A simple question needs a simple answer. Not a "I love TW so much that I just have to post more and more records even when it's off topic" response.

EZ their killer... "google-fu" as a play on words of "kung-fu" meaning skills.. FYI, you asked.. lol

Titleist....

Still no answer to my question.

But since you posted some data, you should know that your list is out of date.

Sure it answered your question.. and I posted the timeline, but you didn't like the answer... so you got your panties in a wad.. Go have a smoke or something..

Titleist....

I know about the Buster back story. Unfortunately he was only truly motivated for this one fight. And he was lucky to meet Mike when he was on the slide. The high life had already taken the hunger and pure animal aggression out of him. Mike in 85/6 was not the same fighter as the guy Buster faced. 80s Mike was a ferocious trainer with a single minded focus on being the worlds heavyweight champ. He would do thousands of push-ups and sit-ups a day, run at 4 in the morning, and train for hours in the gym. His speed, power and athleticism at 19/20 is unsurpassed for a heavyweight. Watching him train back then sends shivers down your spine. He was never going to be able to keep that level of intensity and dedication after he won the belt, but on the way up in the mid 80s he was something else.

I never new the BD story. Just thought he was a loser who got lucky as Mike was all out of sorts with his wife, drugs, fame, and as you say, not in form and taking it seriously. All true, but I never knew BD had the talent to maybe have a heck of a better career but just never got hard core with the preparation and training.He was technically outstanding in that fight. And I never knew about the extra motivation he had.

I saw Tyson on the streets on NYC right after he became champ. No entourage, just with a couple of friends during the day. And he was getting a hot dog at this fast food place me and my friends just happened to walk into.

I first saw him from the back and the first thing you noticed was his neck

annie-leibovitz-mike-tyson.jpg

Then, when he turned around he said to his friends in that high pitched voice, "It's good right?". Talking about the hot dog.

You just felt a force from the guy like you wanted to run out of the place before he killed everyone in 5 seconds ; )

“You can watch their dare i say ugly hacker putting strokes. They could stripe the ball, but couldn’t roll it.”

You aren’t even going to acknowledge that greens in their era were slower, longer and bumpier than the practice tee on today’s tour? A slow, smooth stroke wasn’t possible or useful.

This is a fantastic observation and the key reason for the “pop” stroke. Just as unless someone has actually seen a tour Player up close and personal Play, not hit, but Play, they can’t umderstand the skill level involved of even the 2000th ranked pro in the world, if they never putted on the greens of the 70-80’s or prior, they have no idea how difficult it was to putt consistently well. Even today’s public course greens are better than the average tour stop green back then. Now about when I played barefoot and carried 14 clubs without a bag and played the whole round with one ball??Richard and I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and happy New Year GF?Madison

Prior to '09, I would have said Tiger winning 19 or more majors was pretty much a given. Now, it is not impossible, but highly unlikely.

A subset of this is that both Jack and Tiger have a career triple slam. I believe that record is safe for eternity as well.

I think the Nelson records are safe.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX