2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Golf records unlikely to ever be broken

Roadking2003

Not sure of the exact number or if it's a record, but Monty sure had a lot of starts in majors without winning one, and had even more chances on the PGA tour and still came up with a duck egg.

Senior majors don't count, the fact Monty has won them is proof they aren't real majors.

And he was tigers main competitor when he burst onto the scene

1) not even close to being the main competitor for Woods

2) are you saying that your Euro tour was that bad when Monty won all of those Order of Merits?

3) where the hell are the dress pics? :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of the exact number or if it's a record, but Monty sure had a lot of starts in majors without winning one, and had even more chances on the PGA tour and still came up with a duck egg.

Senior majors don't count, the fact Monty has won them is proof they aren't real majors.

1) not even close to being the main competitor for Woods

2) are you saying that your Euro tour was that bad when Monty won all of those Order of Merits?

3) where the hell are the dress pics? :)

Not to mention that when Jack "burst onto the scene"

Tom Watson was like 12 years old.

Trevino was still 7 years from winning his first major.

And Arnie was basically done winning majors in the next year.

Jacks still the man, of course. He on TV right now!

3) I think finbarr is just looking for the perfect neckline ; )

It might be interesting to look back at where Phil and Arnie were in the beginning of Tiger and jack's careers:

-When Tiger won his first event in 1996 Phil was just 26 and had just won his 9th event and would go on to win 34 more times including his 5 majors. Tiger won twice in his (short) rookie season compared to Phil's 4 wins in '96. Phil would win his first major nearly 7 years later after 3 second place finishes (including 1 to Tiger) and would had another 8 second place finishes after finally breaking through in a major.

-When Jack beat Arnie in the '62 US Open Arnie was 32 and had recently won his 33rd event and would go on to win 29 more times including 3 more majors (to add to his 4 so far). Jack would win 3 events in his first season compared to Arnie's 7 wins including 2 majors. Although Arnie never won a major after the '64 Masters he did finish 2nd another 6 times which included 2 playoff losses (to Julius Boros and Billy Casper) and 2 more second place finishes to Jack (losing by a comfortable 4 and 9 strokes). His last great chance at winning a major came in the 1970 PGA where he ended up losing to Dave Stockton by just 2 strokes.

Another unlikely record to be broken:

Most PGA Player of the Year wins (awarded since 1948)

11: Tiger Woods

6: Tom Watson

5: Jack Nicklaus

4: Ben Hogan

2: Julius Boros, Billy Casper, Rory McIlroy, Arnold Palmer, Nick Price

I find it a bit crazy is that Arnie was voted PGA Player of the Year only twice! One reason for this is the PGA Championship used to be considered the most important major and the exact opposite could be said of the Masters. In 1958 Dow Finsterwald won the award because he won the PGA and this is despite the fact that Arnold won the Masters and 2 additional events. Even worse in 1965 Jack won 5 tournaments including the Masters and lost to Dave Marr who won the PGA and nothing else. Another strange although understandable decision was to award Hogan in 1950 for winning the US Open so soon after his accident and this is the same year Sam Snead won 11 events on the tour.

I find it a bit crazy is that Arnie was voted PGA Player of the Year only twice!”

The PGA player of the year is a points race, there are no votes. When did this move from a vote to points? I realize I could look it up, but I’m watching House Hunters Hawaii and our 2 year old is stirring from a nap.....

"

I find it a bit crazy is that Arnie was voted PGA Player of the Year only twice!"

The PGA player of the year is a points race, there are no votes. When did this move from a vote to points? I realize I could look it up, but I'm watching House Hunters Hawaii and our 2 year old is stirring from a nap.....

I thought I made a mistake as well, and then I read that it has only been a points based system since 1982. So yes, points based since then. The PGA Tour Player of the year on the other hand is still a ballot based system which has been in place since 1990 and the two awards have been in complete agreement except for one occasion when Nick Faldo won the main award and Wayne Levi won the voter-based award. Nick won 2 tournaments that year, both of them majors compared to 4 regular wins by Levi.

Here's a news clipping from 1960 with a bit more information: https://news.google....year golf&hl=en

You mean one of the early victims of tigers dominance? From my memory Montys spirit had been crushed by Ernie before Tiger really hit his straps and started squashing the top players like bugs.

You mean one of the early victims of tigers dominance? From my memory Montys spirit had been crushed by Ernie before Tiger really hit his straps and started squashing the top players like bugs.

Dang, I didn't realize that Monty finished second to Ernie in both of his 90s US Open wins! It is so hard to tell where Monty ranks among golf greats with his 31 European tour wins (4th in the all time list behind Seve, Langer, and of course Tiger) while also going 0/142 on the PGA Tour.

Dang, I didn't realize that Monty finished second to Ernie in both of his 90s US Open wins! It is so hard to tell where Monty ranks among golf greats with his 31 European tour wins (4th in the all time list behind Seve, Langer, and of course Tiger) while also going 0/142 on the PGA Tour.

This is highly misleading. Tiger is credited with 40 Euro tour wins, but 14 of those were majors and 18 were WGC wins. So he really only won 8 Euro Tour events.

This is highly misleading. Tiger is credited with 40 Euro tour wins, but 14 of those were majors and 18 were WGC wins. So he really only won 8 Euro Tour events.

So Monty won 31 Euro titles to Tiger's 40? Monty played those majors and WGC's as well.

Edited to add, when comparing records to imply Woods had 80 wins in PGA Tour AND 40 Euro wins would be misleading. To compare his 40 wins to Monty's 31 is fair game.

Is Seve's 50 European Tour wins unbreakable?

Anyone that rings up a bunch of European Tour wins is going to move over to the US Tour.

active leaders

Tiger 40

Ernie 28

Westwood 24 (added one this year)

Padraig 15

Sergio 15 (also got one this year)

Clarke 14

Goosen 14

Rory 13

Poulter 12

Rose 12 (got one this year)

Anyone that rings up a bunch of European Tour wins is going to move over to the US Tour.

active leaders

Tiger 40

Ernie 28

Padraig 15

Clarke 14

Goosen 14

Rory 13

Poulter 12

Everyone on that list except Rory and Rose will never win another tour event.

active leaders

Tiger 40

Ernie 28

Padraig 15

Clarke 14

Goosen 14

Rory 13

Poulter 12

Everyone on that list except Rory and Rose will never win another tour event.

Laughable to put Tiger and Sergio in that list, heck even Poults will win again.

active leaders

Tiger 40

Ernie 28

Padraig 15

Clarke 14

Goosen 14

Rory 13

Poulter 12

thats an interesting one, you are right that given the tendency for top euros to move to the pgatour it will difficult for anyone to get to 50. Tiger's 40 include events mostly in America even (14 majors, 18 WGCs). if he'd stayed healthy, that record would have been in danger, but asking for another Tiger (and one who stays healthy) to come along for a record to be broken is a bit extreme. it probably needs to be a top-top euro that bucks the trend and stays home, and that also seems unlikely. so, yeah, that one might be tough. probably biggest chance is euro tour over time catches up to the PGAT. not the trend right now, but time changes things.

speaking of that tho, Tiger's record 18 WGCs will stand for a while (Tiger give a big thanks to Firestone CC). There are 4 each year and Dustin Johnson has the next most at 5. When one guy is at 18 and 2d place is 5, it will be a while. The catch might be if WGC events are added in the future. For the bulk of Tiger's peak, there were only 3 WGC's (there was 4th but it was a team event), which I suppose makes Tiger's 18 even more impressive, but it also implies that the number of WGCs each year can change. Still, 18 WGCs is a big number.

Monty was the favourite to win the 1997 masters

Right until Tiger crushed him 65-74 in the third round.

I would have loved to see your live commentary that day.

The only time i supported monty was in the Ryder cup and actually enjoyed the 97 masters

Monty was #3 in the owgr going into the '97 Masters. Tiger was 14th with a bullet. Norman and Lehman were #'s 1 and 2 with more major experience than Monty.

Monty was right about one thing that week though...

After playing with Woods on Saturday, Montgomerie staggered in looking like a man who had seen a UFO. He plopped his weary meatiness into the interview chair and announced, blankly, “There is no chance. We’re all human beings here. There’s no chance humanly possible.”

What about last year? he was asked, a reference to Norman’s blowing a six-shot lead and losing the Masters to Faldo by five. “This is very different. Faldo’s not lying second, for a start. And Greg Norman’s not Tiger Woods.”

So Monty won 31 Euro titles to Tiger's 40? Monty played those majors and WGC's as well.

Edited to add, when comparing records to imply Woods had 80 wins in PGA Tour AND 40 Euro wins would be misleading. To compare his 40 wins to Monty's 31 is fair game.

It really isnt... how many WGCs were played in europe or abroad? exactly. As roadking states its 8

Tiger has plenty of rounds left so Jack's majors are still a possibility. I think Tiger's reign at number 1 will not be touched.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

It really isnt... how many WGCs were played in europe or abroad? exactly. As roadking states its 8

That's a stretch for the guy that likes to call out others for stretches. So even the 3 Open Championships don't count lol?

Are we doing revisionist history on everyone to make Monty look better? Seve only has 45 Euro wins now because majors don't count?

That's a stretch for the guy that likes to call out others for stretches. So even the 3 Open Championships don't count lol?

Are we doing revisionist history on everyone to make Monty look better? Seve only has 45 Euro wins now because majors don't count?

Definitely a stretch but not worth arguing about.

Here's something related and really crazy. Only 9 of Jack's major wins are counted in his Euro wins list because he won the rest before the Euro Tour was even established in 1972! You would think they might have made an exception here, but apparently not.

Fun fact - Monty won the Order of Merit 8 times in his career. I think there were only 3 times that he won the most money no the European tour for the year though. Five times, Tiger's WGC and majors winnings were more than Monty's in a season. Tiger didn't play enough events to qualify for the Order of Merit though.

I would note I haven't looked at this in a long time, so my numbers may be off by a little bit.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

^^ It's only 2 out of the 8 that Woods actually finished with more earnings than Monty, 1999 & 2005, but didn't qualify for Order of Merit. 1993-98 Monty was the top money earner on the ET.

Winnings in majors (other than The Open) counted on ET from 1999 (checking the records it appears Masters from 2000) same year the WGCs started which also counted on the list.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I think they could definitely throw Jack a bone here. After all, Hogan won all his majors before the term had been invented, and Sarazen didn't know he had won a career grand slam until after he had retired.

How about the Western Open, which predates the PGA of America by 15-16 years and is still the third oldest tourney behind the US Open & The Open Championship even though it’s been defunct for a lil over a decade.

They had the second strongest field behind the US Open, were considered a “major” and only after the Masters weasled into the mix did they get the bump.

For the young uns, that’s the tourney that Lee & Jerry Heard took one for the team with a lightning bolt to the arse(well, I don’t know exactly where they were struck but it makes for good theatre?), lol. Also struck that day on another part of the course were Bobby Nichols(Great Player & Great Guy??), Tony Jacklin(my favorite Euro growing up?) and Jim Ahern.

Thankfully, all lived to plant the peg another day.

Oh, and another worthless thought however you know this shat strikes me at the weirdest times and though I remember the times like they were yesterday, I forget about em just as quickly, lol.

We talked a lot about Sam’s generation versus Jack’s and Greg Norman and his and though Sam mentioned Tiger as someone to watch, he was an Am at the time and when Sam had his final stroke and then passed, we never spoke when Tiger was a Pro.

Sam was very realistic regarding Jack, Norman, et al.

He gave them their due as being bigger, stronger, for the most part better athletes on average and that they got longer, just as the courses did. He felt that he, Hogan, Byron Nelson, and the Great Champions like Walter Hagen and while he included Bob Jones, he didn’t feel that Jones would be nearly as dominant in later decades as the qulity of the Tour increased cuz while he felt that the other guys mentioned had the MENTAL games to compete and win in any generation, he didn’t feel that Jones had that mental game as witnessed by the fact that he was on the fence regarding going pro and then he took that 12&11 gloves off full throttle beat down from The Haig and decided to remain an Am, not having the confidence to Play for the roof over his head, food on the table and clothes on his wife’s and childrens’ back.

Also, Sam(and Pete), along with Byron Nelson, although having never met him, I only heard this through Sam and Pete, all placed a premium on making 4’ putts, not 3’ and not 5’ers.

FOUR FEET!!!

This is what they all practiced, this is what Pete taught and this is what I’ve practiced basically my whole golf life as my Grandmother, being a mixed BB partner of Pete’s, practiced and taught me the same prior to Pete takin over my teaching(and babysitting?).

Sam said that their were two factors that gave Jack a huge advantage mentally along with the obvious physical advantages and that was for 15 years he was the greatest 4’ putter on earth and outside of Hogan post crash, which I found interesting but Sam scoffed and said that Hogan just raised his mental game to compensate for any physical drawbacks from the crash and that they were the two greatest putters that he had seen from that distance, and he spoke of Jack being the greatest for a fifteen year period.

I never thought to ask Sam or Pete why 4’ and not 3’ or 5’, cuz if it was good enough for Sam Snead, and Pete taught Sam how to Swing and did the 4’ routines before Sam, WhoTF was I to question em, hahaha

Besides, it’s been cool over the years having people ask me why I drop balls at 4’ and while I will use the other two distances for certain “ladder” drills, for pre-round and basic around the clock drills/routines, it’s 4’.

Plus I’ve won a lot of $$, and from some pretty good Players, dropping my balls at 4’ and them at 3’, lmao

I watched Sam & Pete do it all the time and even when Sam went side saddle, I never saw him lose and that includes against Bob Ford and a few other great Pro putters and some outstanding Elite Ams, lol. I tied him for 47 straight but I missed on #48(from 4’), lol. Best I ever did against him, haha.

Have a very Merry Christmas?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Man youre so wrong it hurts. Where am i trying to prop up Monty? Even if you give him the 3 opens which i completely agree with its still what 11. A far away reach from 40 though.If you want to pretend someone who has never been a member of the euro tour has 40 european wins with only 11 of those actually happening on that continent

Who took away any tourneys from seve or rewrite history? He was a lifelong euro tour member who had 48 wins in continental europe including 3 opens. His 2 masters making his total 50 are moot at this point.

Heres the litmus test for you. How many euro tour wins does Dustin Johnson have? or jordan spieth? or koepka?

Definitely a stretch but not worth arguing about.

Here's something related and really crazy. Only 9 of Jack's major wins are counted in his Euro wins list because he won the rest before the Euro Tour was even established in 1972! You would think they might have made an exception here, but apparently not.

Lol, its willfull ignorance to think so. its not worth arguing because there is no argument for the position hes holding... a on paper transaction is still just that.

Man youre so wrong it hurts. Where am i trying to prop up Monty? Even if you give him the 3 opens which i completely agree with its still what 11. A far away reach from 40 though.If you want to pretend someone who has never been a member of the euro tour has 40 european wins with only 11 of those actually happening on that continent

Who took away any tourneys from seve or rewrite history? He was a lifelong euro tour member who had 48 wins in continental europe including 3 opens. His 2 masters making his total 50 are moot at this point.

Heres the litmus test for you. How many euro tour wins does Dustin Johnson have? or jordan spieth? or koepka?

So does Faldo have 3, 6 or 9 PGA Tour wins? He only won 3 regular titles, 3 Masters and 3 Opens. WGC’s? Rose has a couple, Poulter has a couple as does Scott. Rory’s win counts in his total as well. Are you going to revise everyone’s win total?