2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Apex MB and easy to hit blade?

texas_golfer

> @Kale_m said:

> Had mine in the bag since January. They Are not going anywhere. I actually think I am addicted to the feel of them. I could hit balls all day at the range with them. So soft. Just feel like a hot knife through butter.

>

> They are 1 flat but over the winter I might take the 7-Pw to 2 flat

Mine felt pretty solid as well but I think they just had a bit too much bounce or the px shafts were a bit stout. I went to a set of 919 tour's with px lz's and absolutely love them.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

> @collje26 said:

> > @Kale_m said:

> > Had mine in the bag since January. They Are not going anywhere. I actually think I am addicted to the feel of them. I could hit balls all day at the range with them. So soft. Just feel like a hot knife through butter.

> >

> > They are 1 flat but over the winter I might take the 7-Pw to 2 flat

>

> Mine felt pretty solid as well but I think they just had a bit too much bounce or the px shafts were a bit stout. I went to a set of 919 tour's with px lz's and absolutely love them.

I have the LZ in my two iron and Px (3-PW), definitely two different types of shafts. I find the Px solid, true feeling where as the LZ has added kick, more clubhead speed and added lift to the ball.

• 8 months later...

I just ordered a new set off callaway website.. 4-7 in 2018 X-Forged and 8-pw in MB with $-taper x. I like the combo in this set up. Had to bump the MB 1 degree strong to flow better with the X-Forged. I like bladed scoring irons so i can flight them down easier and bigger irons in my longer clubs so I can get some height and forgiveness.

TM M5 9* Fuji Tour Spec 63x Mizuno ST190 15* Tensei White 7x TM M1 Hybrid 19* Fuji Atmos blue x Mizuno 919 tour 7-pw Nippon Modus 120x Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3-6 Nippon Modus 120x Cleveland RTX4 52,56,60 DG Tour Issue S400 Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball TM TP5

Sweet another blade thread. As a former Div 1 golfer, mini/mini/mini tour player and someone who played blades for many a years and now plays some players CB and SGI irons mix, there are two sides to every story. I played MP-14's (Two sets) and Cleveland TA 1'sPeople that should play blades performance wise.

Some people, like Seve, hit their irons better than their woods. Their swing is great for irons, they hit within a couple of MM of the sweet spot the majority of the time. People who's miss is heel side, but in general hit close to the SS, this has changed a bit with companies adding tungsten to the toes of some blades, but in general still a heel side miss is preferable for blades.your miss is solid contact, but with an open or shut clubface. SGI, GI, CB will not fix a closed or open clubface. CB, GI, SGI can help with strikes that are low, or heel or toe sideOther reasons to play blades.

Because you want tobecause you want tobecause you want toyou want to prove me wrong (LOL, no one cares what I think, even myself)you think they make you look like a playerWhat actually makes you look like a player is being the person with the most money in front of him/her after the round, or the person who wins the most gross club events, or has the most top 5 finishes. Or has the most improved handicap for the year. If blades actually accomplish this for you then why do you care what a bunch of strangers on the internet think? Beware of the pitfalls below, I have seen tons of people gob smacked by them. Because I am a low handicap they think I will want to buy their blades after they failed with them.Reasons to not play blades

Sole width and bounce as the only reason, is a BS reason to play them. I can guarantee you that there is a player's CB or similar with the same grind and sole width out there as whatever blade it is that you are hitting. Or at least close enough for your game and performs similarly as whatever blade you just hit. If your only test is on a mat and you say this you should be hit in the head with a tack hammer. Sole width and bounce didn't used to be this way, MP-14's were loads thinner on the sole than any player's CB at the time, however blades have gotten wider at the bottom as time has moved on.The people who say they hit the SS more often because they concentrate more with a blade? Yeah, in 6 months (maybe less) you won't anymore. People who last more than 6 months and still hit them more solidly? Because the head weight, shaft, total weight of the iron you are swinging is a better fit for you. For most people the placebo effect wears off. If you only hit them on a mat and you say you hit them more solidly? See the tack hammer comment above.If you have only hit those blades indoors or off a mat or worse yet both? UM, before you plunk down a big chunk of change on those shiny new blades, please hit them outside and off of the grass. The number of folks that have been fooled by mats and hitting indoors in general is miles and miles long. Once an actual real target comes into play people swing differently(HUGE FACTOR HERE), the mats aren't there to help with that slight chunk shot(no ground helps this, soft or hard or in between like a mat helps it), the spin goes up, and you are no longer hitting off a flat lie. These three things are a lot bigger than you think.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, texas_golfer said:

I’m usually bounce around an 8-10 handicap. Currently a 9.2 but that’s because I’ve been taking some lessons over past couple months and doing some big swing changes. Things finally starting to come together. My ultimate goal is to get down to around a 5. Anyway. I’d say I’m a pretty decent ball striker. But I don’t find the sweet spot every hit for sure.

I’ve played players cavity back irons for years now. But never blades. But every time I go into my local big box store there’s a shiny Callaway Apex MB staring at me so I hit it. And I swear. As weird as it sounds. I hit it better than any other club in the store. For months now!

How can that be? Is it possibly the thin sole? I’m just curious why something like this would be easier to hit for someone like me?

Im going though the same exact thing but ive learned to just accept that i play just as good if not better for sure with a blade or small players iron. The only thing i am confused on with some not all blades is how punishing will off center be? 20 yards? Thats alot... 5 yards i can deal with. Also i dont want bone rattling shots when stuck off center. Like you i hit center more times then not but i do miss more then a better player or pro. Specially thin. 

On 6/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

Sweet another blade thread. As a former Div 1 golfer, mini/mini/mini tour player and someone who played blades for many a years and now plays some players CB and SGI irons mix, there are two sides to every story. I played MP-14's (Two sets) and Cleveland TA 1'sPeople that should play blades performance wise.

Some people, like Seve, hit their irons better than their woods. Their swing is great for irons, they hit within a couple of MM of the sweet spot the majority of the time. People who's miss is heel side, but in general hit close to the SS, this has changed a bit with companies adding tungsten to the toes of some blades, but in general still a heel side miss is preferable for blades.your miss is solid contact, but with an open or shut clubface. SGI, GI, CB will not fix a closed or open clubface. CB, GI, SGI can help with strikes that are low, or heel or toe sideOther reasons to play blades.

Because you want tobecause you want tobecause you want toyou want to prove me wrong (LOL, no one cares what I think, even myself)you think they make you look like a playerWhat actually makes you look like a player is being the person with the most money in front of him/her after the round, or the person who wins the most gross club events, or has the most top 5 finishes. Or has the most improved handicap for the year. If blades actually accomplish this for you then why do you care what a bunch of strangers on the internet think? Beware of the pitfalls below, I have seen tons of people gob smacked by them. Because I am a low handicap they think I will want to buy their blades after they failed with them.Reasons to not play blades

Sole width and bounce as the only reason, is a BS reason to play them. I can guarantee you that there is a player's CB or similar with the same grind and sole width out there as whatever blade it is that you are hitting. Or at least close enough for your game and performs similarly as whatever blade you just hit. If your only test is on a mat and you say this you should be hit in the head with a tack hammer. Sole width and bounce didn't used to be this way, MP-14's were loads thinner on the sole than any player's CB at the time, however blades have gotten wider at the bottom as time has moved on.The people who say they hit the SS more often because they concentrate more with a blade? Yeah, in 6 months (maybe less) you won't anymore. People who last more than 6 months and still hit them more solidly? Because the head weight, shaft, total weight of the iron you are swinging is a better fit for you. For most people the placebo effect wears off. If you only hit them on a mat and you say you hit them more solidly? See the tack hammer comment above.If you have only hit those blades indoors or off a mat or worse yet both? UM, before you plunk down a big chunk of change on those shiny new blades, please hit them outside and off of the grass. The number of folks that have been fooled by mats and hitting indoors in general is miles and miles long. Once an actual real target comes into play people swing differently(HUGE FACTOR HERE), the mats aren't there to help with that slight chunk shot(no ground helps this, soft or hard or in between like a mat helps it), the spin goes up, and you are no longer hitting off a flat lie. These three things are a lot bigger than you think.

Well said. I can tell you are truthfull about what you have accomplished as a golfer... which is pretty cool i must say. People think they do fittings off a mat or hit a few off a mat in a store and bam! I can hit these or they fit me well... like you said... real golf has many factors... a target and distance with slope yardage differences. Wind. Ground being hard or soft or both and uneven. All clubs feel different outdoors too for better or worse. I am in the category of likeing a sleeker cleaner look but i also cannot lose 20 yards on misshits. 5 yards is ok. Golf in real life when your on course trying to play well is much different.

This discussion always gets derailed by those who "know better." 

Most of us play for fun. For some people that means having their misses come out well. For others that means chasing sweet spot contact and being rewarded with that endorphin rush. Neither is right or wrong. Just different. 

I use forged player's cavity backs which are perceived by some to be somewhat less forgiving than what a 10-12 HC should be playing. It's not like I haven't tried cast game improvement clubs. It's that I've tried them and enjoyed hitting them less and didn't score any better. 

The only valid criticism of my club selections would be that I haven't be properly fit for them. I can accept that. Anything else is just an opinion. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, me05501 said:

This discussion always gets derailed by those who "know better." 

Most of us play for fun. For some people that means having their misses come out well. For others that means chasing sweet spot contact and being rewarded with that endorphin rush. Neither is right or wrong. Just different. 

I use forged player's cavity backs which are perceived by some to be somewhat less forgiving than what a 10-12 HC should be playing. It's not like I haven't tried cast game improvement clubs. It's that I've tried them and enjoyed hitting them less and didn't score any better. 

The only valid criticism of my club selections would be that I haven't be properly fit for them. I can accept that. Anything else is just an opinion. 

My misses with blades or CBs or GI clubs are all equally disgusting.  When I do swing it well and put the blades in, my good shots are better than with CBs or GIs and my level of fun is often higher too.  I'm high single digits just whacking it around for fun most the time, so I'm 100% supportive of this take.

• Like 1

Truthfully the Apex MB are not punishing at all compared to many other blades. Why I have no idea. My guess is the sweet spot is more centred and the MOI isn’t terrible?

16/18 GIR with them yesterday. One miss was an errant tee shot that I had to punch out of some fescue and the other was from a ridiculous lie in heavy rough. Was not puring everything either. 

A17B0D9B-EC58-4339-A9E9-C8F27556530B.jpeg

I agree that the Apex MBs are very easy to play for an MB. All of my best scoring rounds have been with these irons. I love the balance, thin sole and feel of these irons. They are very consistent with regards to distance when struck well.

I am a good ball striker (for an amateur who plays for fun) with a miss that is thin or towards the toe. I have found the Apex MBs punish this miss less than other MB irons. I also find the Apex MBs to be great out of the rough. They get through it quickly and don’t produce as many fliers as other irons I have played. For me it is easier to manage my misses with these irons. A poor shot will be short of target. 

I have tried to find a CB iron that works better and have not done so yet. My challenge with AP2s and Apex Pros is the sole width distance control and fliers out of the rough. Titleist CBs look interesting just don’t have enough experience with them. 

Experimenting with some Miura CB 57 long irons right now which have been working well. These are paired with Miura MB 001 irons that feel great and are very easy to control out of the fairway but are not as good out of the rough as the Apex MBs. 

I don’t have a full explanation but for me it comes down to the sole working with my swing, balance of the clubs during the swing and the grooves.

I track all of my shots when I play so these observations are based on real playing conditions. I also play all my irons with the same shaft, swing weight and when possible the same lofts and lie angles.

Just my experience but even if I play the Miura combo set for the rest of the season the Apex MBs aren’t going anywhere. 

Edited by Tar_Heel_93

Love my p750’s

but….

wish I never sold my raw Apex mb….

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

On 12/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, texas_golfer said:

I’m usually bounce around an 8-10 handicap. Currently a 9.2 but that’s because I’ve been taking some lessons over past couple months and doing some big swing changes. Things finally starting to come together. My ultimate goal is to get down to around a 5. Anyway. I’d say I’m a pretty decent ball striker. But I don’t find the sweet spot every hit for sure.

I’ve played players cavity back irons for years now. But never blades. But every time I go into my local big box store there’s a shiny Callaway Apex MB staring at me so I hit it. And I swear. As weird as it sounds. I hit it better than any other club in the store. For months now!

How can that be? Is it possibly the thin sole? I’m just curious why something like this would be easier to hit for someone like me?

Im going though the same exact thing but ive learned to just accept that i play just as good if not better for sure with a blade or small players iron. The only thing i am confused on with some not all blades is how punishing will off center be? 20 yards? Thats alot... 5 yards i can deal with. Also i dont want bone rattling shots when stuck off center. Like you i hit center more times then not but i do miss more then a better player or pro. Specially thin. 

Also... starting to think assigning a handicap to better players irons is dumb... if your a better player... maybe you suck at irons and need the gi... if your a better player maybe your good and can play a players cb to a blade. If your a ok or new player... you probably need the gi or sgi for now or ever and thats fine. I personally can hit and get away with a blade... but am probably best with a player cb... and my scores arent exactly 5 under!  My swing speed is not high and im above average at irons maybe. Other areas of the game effect scoreing so handicap rating clubs seems kinda crazy sometimes. Good Teenagers can play blades no? So why cant we? Its just what your comfortable with and what your willing to sacrifice.

3 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Also... starting to think assigning a handicap to better players irons is dumb... if your a better player... maybe you suck at irons and need the gi... if your a better player maybe your good and can play a players cb to a blade. If your a ok or new player... you probably need the gi or sgi for now or ever and thats fine. I personally can hit and get away with a blade... but am probably best with a player cb... and my scores arent exactly 5 under!  My swing speed is not high and im above average at irons maybe. Other areas of the game effect scoreing so handicap rating clubs seems kinda crazy sometimes. Good Teenagers can play blades no? So why cant we? Its just what your comfortable with and what your willing to sacrifice.

Before the Ping Eye2’s almost everyone played some kind of blade or muscle back. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS