Tour grooves

blinden

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seems a bit unfair, tour players already spin the ball a ton and they get wider a sharper grooves than the wedges that us Mortals can get.  Is there any way to make the grooves on retail wedges more like tour grooves?

63895[/snapback]

TM TP (Y cutters) and Wilson Tw5 for starters...

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

I'm amazed at why guys want wedges to spin, is that supposed to get them closer to the pin? I'm looking for the wedge that will get me closer to shorter putts, no matter what it does or looks like. :grin:

Should I be getting new wedges or more lessons, or should I be practicing more? :tongue:

p. s. What's that saying? Spin for show and putt for dough? :cheesy:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I'm amazed at why guys want wedges to spin, is that supposed to get them closer to the pin?  I'm looking for the wedge that will get me closer to shorter putts, no matter what it does or looks like. :grin:

Should I be getting new wedges or more lessons, or should I be practicing more? :tongue:

p. s.  What's that saying?  Spin for show and putt for dough? :cheesy:

64061[/snapback]

Guess you don't really need those TM RAC Y-cutters you have in your bag, then. I'll take them off your hands :ok:

I'm amazed at why guys want wedges to spin, is that supposed to get them closer to the pin?  I'm looking for the wedge that will get me closer to shorter putts, no matter what it does or looks like. :grin:

p. s.  What's that saying?  Spin for show and putt for dough? :cheesy:

64061[/snapback]

I'm not sure that I understand what it is you're trying to say...do you mean to say that wedges that spin well are for jerks?

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

• 7 months later...

In other words, no one who read this knows how to sharpen the grooves on a wedge. I've had my cleveland 60 for a number of years, and it doesn't spin as much as I would like.

It's not something you can do at home. You can go get one of those club medic tools at golfsmith, but I don't know how effective it is.

Why not just buy a new wedge?

You've got SO many tour groove options, Y cutters, spin milleds, mac daddy's, yo yo's, dyanmic sole grinds, whatever brand you liek the best has a model with super sharp tour grooves.

If you can't spin the ball these days it's time to get a lesson.

i'd suggest getting a new wedge instead of regrooving them...if you regroove them you might make them illegal...just my opinion...check out the wedges from fourteen golf or zodia golf...it makes the vokey spin mill and the tp wedges seem tame...

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

I do agree that the tour wedges do have slightly wider groves. I have a titleist tour wedge in the garage. There is a distinct difference. Why is it not offered in retail. Here are the answers. First of all you have to play a ball that spins. Pro V1 by far will stop and check the hardest. Have you seen the cost on a box of those? This kinda gets me to my point, but have a little patience. Tour players get balls free. They play on greens that are harder than the ones standard club members are associated with. Which would require the ball to stop faster. When the golf industry looks at products they think money. Only 10% of golfers in the states, or so, can shoot under a hundred. When I hit a 3 piece golf ball with one of my wedges, that ball is just about done. I slice the cover off. Your average player will notice that every wedge shot they hit ruins the ball. That does not create good business. You want to spin the ball, go buy a Tiger Woods Nike 60* wedge and match it with a Pro V1, and you will se the magic happen, you can also try the MD grind by Callaway. The Nike wedge have a combination of U and V grooves that will put all the spin you will need on the ball. I hope this helps you understand a little why they don't just sell them

• 4 weeks later...

controlling the spin is more challenging than applying the spin.

if you generate enough club head speed and hit the ball clean, you shouldn't have a problem getting a bit of bite, if not some backspin. keep in mind, hitting to a green that slopes away from you, its not going to spin back up the slope.

playing balls that will spin also helps. :drinks: the old two-piece Professional 90s were the bomb. you could probably find them on eBay on the cheap.

having clean, deep grooves helps, but isn't required. open the clubface a hair & catch the ball clean. when i first learned how to get the ball to stop, i would put my weight forward and make sure i pinched it

keep in mind: backspin isn't the only kind of spin, you can spin it right and left to trap the flag as well. by trapping i mean, playing to the left or right and stopping the ball with a bit of roll one way or the other.

all kinds of neat tricks, just takes time to practice.

I have a wedge i am guinea pigging right now. CNC milled regroove with the face milled flat. 0.034" wide grooves with the grooves 0.103 apart.

This requires decking the entire wedge down 0.020 to get the old grooves gone so you have a slight step down to the fresh metal but the entire face is milled out to the toe ala the YOYO grooves. It should be done shortly :drinks:

I might start a service doing this for $45 a club or something of that nature.

I need to find out how to order the groove tester they use at USGA event to make sure that these are complying ;)

In other words, no one who read this knows how to sharpen the grooves on a wedge. I've had my cleveland 60 for a number of years, and it doesn't spin as much as I would like.

You can send it to KJ Polishing or Golfworks.

If the tour wedges really do spin the ball alot more, then does anyone know where i can get one from? Not worried about ripping covers off balls, the greens around my area are like rock at the moment, near on impossable to stop the ball!

Thanks,

Ben

ps sorry if i've thread jacked a bit!

:drinks:

The BST section on this site or ebay. I see plenty of them.

-Kyle

Hey, there's certainly nothing wrong with having the option for a lot of spin, and you can certainly buy clubs off the rack that have tour-style grooves.

I am a little suprised at people hitting their grooves with a Club Medic though. Anybody who's looking for pro-level performance wouldn't consider a wedge that didn't have a precision milled face (which includes milling the grooves), but you'd try to reshape your grooves with a $10 hand held cutter? You really want those groove edges to be precise and even, whether you've got square, u-shaped, or trapezoidal grooves. Hard to believe you'd get anything but random edges with a hand-held, unguided tool.

binneguru is doing it right by fully remachining the face, but at $45 a club (which actually is pretty reasonable for what's being done) it's pretty challenging economically.

seems like an all right idea. You would have to go through the hassle though of testing it before you put it into play. Would you take golfworks as the end all with groove testing and that they are giving you the max grooves you can possibly want while still staying within USGA specs. Are they ink testing everything that comes out of their regroover? Definitely not. They will error on the short side of legal just to make sure they don't cause a big customer service mess :drinks:

In that regard you could just get a retail y-cutter and get a custom grind put on it. Supposedly they are tour grooves but I haven't been able to verify since the USGA is dragging their feet getting back to me with a test kit ;)

Then the grind might not suit your swing etc.

• 1 year later...

Spinning the ball is not only comes from the club it self. The biggest aspect is how clean you hit the ball and compress it at the right angle ( hit down on the ball ). SO mostly are on the technique how to hit it.

Keeping the groves clean at a certain grove's depth is enough for a touring pro to spin the ball, except MAYBE on a certain type green condition set up ( US Open , British Open, etc )

This spins that the new wedges are getting out of hand IMO. Honestly speaking, MOST touring pro don't like it when the wedges are completely new out of the box. Lost of them took it to the bunker to wear them out and get it at a certain feel and spin they like.

Sharpening the edges of the groves should be enough to grab the ball and spins it a ton, if spin is the only thing we are looking for...however controling your spin and hit/drop it at the spot you want it to be is another story in this game.

Just seems a bit unfair, tour players already spin the ball a ton and they get wider a sharper grooves than the wedges that us Mortals get

They don't generally.

Just buy a Spin Mill Vokey every couple of weeks and you've got the same as they've got.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal