New set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot irons

Justmeinva57

Hello, I have acquired a unused set (heads are still plastic wrapped) of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot iron set..3-PW. My questions are: 1. How can I determine when they were made? ( the color of the writing on the back is opposite of what I see on the net,,, IE. The Tommy Armour logo is in black and the Silver Scot logo is in white. 2. Are they more valuable beyond their initial cost? If so, how much?

Thanks

They are classic and were a very popular model in their time, but so were the PING Eye 2 irons and many others. While finding an unused set is a rare and awesome find, the used market still has so many of those sets and many others from that era. Used TA 845 irons are found at thrift stores and Play It Again Sports stores for well under $100, so I'm guessing that an unused set might get more $, but not much. I would guess that yours are of most value to you, not the used club market. Maybe there is a collector out there that wants them - you could try eBay. These are just my opinions, BTW.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

They are classic and were a very popular model in their time, but so were the PING Eye 2 irons and many others. While finding an unused set is a rare and awesome find, the used market still has so many of those sets and many others from that era. Used TA 845 irons are found at thrift stores and Play It Again Sports stores for well under $100, so I'm guessing that an unused set might get more $, but not much. I would guess that yours are of most value to you, not the used club market. Maybe there is a collector out there that wants them - you could try eBay. These are just my opinions, BTW.

Completely agree. But what a great set of irons those were/are.

• Like 3

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I remember getting a set of those brand new when they came out. Great irons, but as stated above easily had on the secondary market. I am sure none of them will be in the condition your's are in, but sadly, you did not stumble upon retirement.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Had those real deal irons in the early mid 90's....Also included a 1-iron.

Nice cast cavity back iron.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

They are great irons. You should hit them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

Yes, those are the polished version from 2001ish. Legitimate version by the original company that made the 845s.

I bought a set new back then and still own them. Great club and the ferrule makes them look even better.

Yours are standard lie as indicated on hosel.

• Like 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Many thanks for the responses. They have a polish finish. Here are some pics of the 3 iron.

I remember those irons when they were brand new on the racks at my local Golftown in 2001. They're great irons but don't expect anyone to pay anything near the price when it was new (too much supply and not enough demand since most want the latest and greatest).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I have a set like that along with a few more in the matte finish and the BeCu's.

all play well.

most came with steel shafts in the polished finish.

not rare but nice that you got them unplayed.

hope you didn't pay too much.

this is what they're going to look like after years of play....

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 2 years later...
On 12/18/2018 at 11:16 AM, BMC said:

Yes, those are the polished version from 2001ish. Legitimate version by the original company that made the 845s.

I bought a set new back then and still own them. Great club and the ferrule makes them look even better.

Yours are standard lie as indicated on hosel.

I know this is an old thread and I cant see the picture. Mine have 3 lines on the hosel, the middle one being white and the one each side being black. is that standard lie angle? there is also a G on the hosel what does that indicate?

white line in the center indicates standard lie - not upright or flat.

G indicates the head was designed at the factory to be installed on a graphite shaft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

On 12/18/2018 at 3:41 AM, TPG1971 said:

I remember getting a set of those brand new when they came out. Great irons, but as stated above easily had on the secondary market. I am sure none of them will be in the condition your's are in, but sadly, you did not stumble upon retirement.

I had a set of the Silver Scot 845 irons.  They were, if I recall correctly, the first set of jacked upped lofts designed for better players.  What's funny is the pitching was 47 degrees and the 9 was a 43.  The 6 irons was at 31 degrees.  By today's standards they would be weak lofted.  Of course the blades of the day (late 80s) were 3 or so degrees weaker.  The Silver Scots had progressive offsets as well

Edited by jimb

12 minutes ago, jimb said:

I had a set of the Silver Scot 845 irons.  They were, if I recall correctly, the first set of jacked upped lofts designed for better players.  What's funny is the pitching was 47 degrees and the 9 was a 43.  The 6 irons was at 31 degrees.  By today's standards they would be weak lofted.  Of course the blades of the day (late 80s) were 3 or so degrees weaker.  The Silver Scots had progressive offsets as well

845s iron lofts from 4 iron to PW were in 4 degree increments. The 845 PW was 48*. 3 iron was 21* There is a certain golf club spec website that has incorrect information on the loft progressions. I've had multiple sets of 845s and all of them had a 48* PW. The lofts are on the toe of the irons.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, grm24 said:

845s iron lofts from 4 iron to PW were in 4 degree increments. The 845 PW was 48*. 3 iron was 21* There is a certain golf club spec website that has incorrect information on the loft progressions. I've had multiple sets of 845s and all of them had a 48* PW. The lofts are on the toe of the irons.

At some point late in the 90s, or even in the early 2000s, they tweaked those lofts 1* forward to the 47* PW.

I don't know exactly when, unfortunately.   I *have* seen sets of each, when 2nd Swing was a second home.  LOL

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have a 845s driver and 3w just hanging out in my spare bag of random clubs.  I think they came with a bag I bought a few years ago.  They are in good shape, but obviously have been used.  Original grips are a bit hard now with a few cracks.  Seem to be original shafts too.  

tommy.JPG

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

10 hours ago, subrew said:

I have a 845s driver and 3w just hanging out in my spare bag of random clubs.  I think they came with a bag I bought a few years ago.  They are in good shape, but obviously have been used.  Original grips are a bit hard now with a few cracks.  Seem to be original shafts too.  

tommy.JPG

Dibs!

my original 845 driver went astray years ago.

if you don't want those. PM me.

I'd game them in a heartbeat - with the irons.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

11 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

At some point late in the 90s, or even in the early 2000s, they tweaked those lofts 1* forward to the 47* PW.

Interesting. Never saw a set that had the 47* wedge. I had a set of the chrome plated 845s SS irons that were released in the early 2000's. While they were nothing but junk and very brittle feeling the set had a 48* PW. Hmm.

• Like 1

My current irons!!!

272672462_TA1.jpg.f8023cf1e8feb2a15254e547adc2adc8.jpg

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

11 hours ago, grm24 said:

Interesting. Never saw a set that had the 47* wedge. I had a set of the chrome plated 845s SS irons that were released in the early 2000's. While they were nothing but junk and very brittle feeling the set had a 48* PW. Hmm.

In the "mildly amusing" camp...  possibly because I'd joined the golf world relatively later, the 47* PW and 27* 5i were normal to me for the 845s.  When I saw my first set with a 48* PW and 28*, it was a surprise.  

Checking into that was how I learned they'd originally started with the lofts you know.  For all I know, the 27/47 sets were a limited lifespan, I just happened to see a couple sets in my earlier days, and had that imprinted.  <shrug>

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 6/11/2021 at 10:29 AM, NRJyzr said:

In the "mildly amusing" camp...  possibly because I'd joined the golf world relatively later, the 47* PW and 27* 5i were normal to me for the 845s.  When I saw my first set with a 48* PW and 28*, it was a surprise.  

Checking into that was how I learned they'd originally started with the lofts you know.  For all I know, the 27/47 sets were a limited lifespan, I just happened to see a couple sets in my earlier days, and had that imprinted.  <shrug>

were your heads stamped with the lofts ?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

4 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

were your heads stamped with the lofts ?

They weren't mine, just sets I was encountering at 2nd Swing locations back in the initial incarnation of that business.  

I remember them having the lofts stamped on the face, but we *are* talking about 18-20 years ago.  😉

On 6/11/2021 at 10:29 AM, NRJyzr said:

If I remember correctly, both the 845s Silver Scot and the 855s Silver Scot had the same lofts (21*/3, 24*/4, 28*/5, 32*/6, 36*/7, 40*/8, 44*/9, 48*/P) and the stamping on the toe.  The late 90s release (?) of the 845s Oversize had the "stronger" lofts (21*/3, 24*/4, 27*/5, 31*/6, 35*/7, 39*/8, 43*/9, 47*/P) but no stamping.  After the release of the 845s OS came the 845 V-31 (cast) and 845 V-25 (forged)...

• Like 1

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

23 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

I don't know why I'm posting to a 3 year old thread but I love the 845s oh so much.  Here are the official specs from a scanned ad from Tommy Armour itself.

845 Specs.jpg

I'm not sure why i posted either except it looked like it was gaining traction (as zombie threads sometimes do).  I stand corrected on the 4 iron loft.  I'd forgotten the 1/2 degree...

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+