New set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot irons

Hello, I have acquired a unused set (heads are still plastic wrapped) of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot iron set..3-PW. My questions are: 1. How can I determine when they were made? ( the color of the writing on the back is opposite of what I see on the net,,, IE. The Tommy Armour logo is in black and the Silver Scot logo is in white. 2. Are they more valuable beyond their initial cost? If so, how much?

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Completely agree. But what a great set of irons those were/are.

white line in the center indicates standard lie - not upright or flat. G indicates the head was designed at the factory to be installed on a graphite shaft.    

I have one of the these in my garage, speaking of classics.    

Posted Images

They are classic and were a very popular model in their time, but so were the PING Eye 2 irons and many others. While finding an unused set is a rare and awesome find, the used market still has so many of those sets and many others from that era. Used TA 845 irons are found at thrift stores and Play It Again Sports stores for well under $100, so I'm guessing that an unused set might get more $, but not much. I would guess that yours are of most value to you, not the used club market. Maybe there is a collector out there that wants them - you could try eBay. These are just my opinions, BTW.

• PING G400SFT 12*
  • PING G400 4h, 5h
  • Callaway XROS 7h
  • PING G400 8,9,W,UW
  • Callaway SureOut 56* SW
  • Odyssey VLine

They are classic and were a very popular model in their time, but so were the PING Eye 2 irons and many others. While finding an unused set is a rare and awesome find, the used market still has so many of those sets and many others from that era. Used TA 845 irons are found at thrift stores and Play It Again Sports stores for well under $100, so I'm guessing that an unused set might get more $, but not much. I would guess that yours are of most value to you, not the used club market. Maybe there is a collector out there that wants them - you could try eBay. These are just my opinions, BTW.

Completely agree. But what a great set of irons those were/are.

• Like 3

W/S Cortex 10.5* - Fuji Pro/S
W/S C300 13.5* - Fuji Pro/S
Callaway Apex Pro 20*/23* - MMT 80hy/S
W/S Staff Model MB 5-P  DGS300
W/S Staff Model 52/56/60 - DGS300
Stroke Lab Seven

I remember getting a set of those brand new when they came out. Great irons, but as stated above easily had on the secondary market. I am sure none of them will be in the condition your's are in, but sadly, you did not stumble upon retirement.

PING G410 LST Mitsubishi CK Orange
PING G410 19* Hybrid Mitsubishi CK Pro Blue 80 Stiff
PING I200 4-PW Red Dot KBS C-Taper R110
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Red Dot AWT Wedge Flex
RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Ping Anser2 

Had those real deal irons in the early mid 90's....Also included a 1-iron.

Nice cast cavity back iron.

Taylormade SIM2 Driver, 8*, GD Tour AD XC-6X 65g

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

Taylormade SIM2 Rocket #3+ FW 13.5*, GD Tour AD XC-7X 75g OR SIM2 #3 15*

Taylormade SIM2 #5 FW 19* (18*), GD Tour AD XC-8X 85g
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 16* and SIM2 RESCUE, 21*, Diamana Thump 105g X
CALLAWAY APEX 21 MB, 5 - AW, PX LS 6.5

CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)-10S, 60*-08C ; PX LS 6.5

TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

Yes, those are the polished version from 2001ish. Legitimate version by the original company that made the 845s.

I bought a set new back then and still own them. Great club and the ferrule makes them look even better.

Yours are standard lie as indicated on hosel.

PING OG Rapture driver
PING Anser Hybrids
PXG 0211 irons
Mizuno Forged wedges
Nike Method putter

Many thanks for the responses. They have a polish finish. Here are some pics of the 3 iron.

I remember those irons when they were brand new on the racks at my local Golftown in 2001. They're great irons but don't expect anyone to pay anything near the price when it was new (too much supply and not enough demand since most want the latest and greatest).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I have a set like that along with a few more in the matte finish and the BeCu's.

all play well.

most came with steel shafts in the polished finish.

not rare but nice that you got them unplayed.

hope you didn't pay too much.

this is what they're going to look like after years of play....

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

• 2 years later...
On 12/18/2018 at 11:16 AM, BMC said:

Yes, those are the polished version from 2001ish. Legitimate version by the original company that made the 845s.

I bought a set new back then and still own them. Great club and the ferrule makes them look even better.

Yours are standard lie as indicated on hosel.

I know this is an old thread and I cant see the picture. Mine have 3 lines on the hosel, the middle one being white and the one each side being black. is that standard lie angle? there is also a G on the hosel what does that indicate?

On 12/18/2018 at 3:41 AM, TPG1971 said:

I remember getting a set of those brand new when they came out. Great irons, but as stated above easily had on the secondary market. I am sure none of them will be in the condition your's are in, but sadly, you did not stumble upon retirement.

I had a set of the Silver Scot 845 irons.  They were, if I recall correctly, the first set of jacked upped lofts designed for better players.  What's funny is the pitching was 47 degrees and the 9 was a 43.  The 6 irons was at 31 degrees.  By today's standards they would be weak lofted.  Of course the blades of the day (late 80s) were 3 or so degrees weaker.  The Silver Scots had progressive offsets as well

Edited by jimb
12 minutes ago, jimb said:

I had a set of the Silver Scot 845 irons.  They were, if I recall correctly, the first set of jacked upped lofts designed for better players.  What's funny is the pitching was 47 degrees and the 9 was a 43.  The 6 irons was at 31 degrees.  By today's standards they would be weak lofted.  Of course the blades of the day (late 80s) were 3 or so degrees weaker.  The Silver Scots had progressive offsets as well

845s iron lofts from 4 iron to PW were in 4 degree increments. The 845 PW was 48*. 3 iron was 21* There is a certain golf club spec website that has incorrect information on the loft progressions. I've had multiple sets of 845s and all of them had a 48* PW. The lofts are on the toe of the irons.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, grm24 said:

845s iron lofts from 4 iron to PW were in 4 degree increments. The 845 PW was 48*. 3 iron was 21* There is a certain golf club spec website that has incorrect information on the loft progressions. I've had multiple sets of 845s and all of them had a 48* PW. The lofts are on the toe of the irons.

At some point late in the 90s, or even in the early 2000s, they tweaked those lofts 1* forward to the 47* PW.

I don't know exactly when, unfortunately.   I *have* seen sets of each, when 2nd Swing was a second home.  LOL

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Kirkland Signature v3.2

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

I have a 845s driver and 3w just hanging out in my spare bag of random clubs.  I think they came with a bag I bought a few years ago.  They are in good shape, but obviously have been used.  Original grips are a bit hard now with a few cracks.  Seem to be original shafts too.  

tommy.JPG

Callaway Big Bertha APW Driver (9*)

Callaway Mavrik Max Fairways (3+, 5, 9 woods)

Ping GMax Irons (6-AW)

Wilson Harmonized Wedges (56* and 60*)

Wilson Harmonized 431 Putter

10 hours ago, subrew said:

I have a 845s driver and 3w just hanging out in my spare bag of random clubs.  I think they came with a bag I bought a few years ago.  They are in good shape, but obviously have been used.  Original grips are a bit hard now with a few cracks.  Seem to be original shafts too.  

tommy.JPG

Dibs!

my original 845 driver went astray years ago.

if you don't want those. PM me.

I'd game them in a heartbeat - with the irons.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
not flashy, reliable

11 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

At some point late in the 90s, or even in the early 2000s, they tweaked those lofts 1* forward to the 47* PW.

Interesting. Never saw a set that had the 47* wedge. I had a set of the chrome plated 845s SS irons that were released in the early 2000's. While they were nothing but junk and very brittle feeling the set had a 48* PW. Hmm.

• Like 1

My current irons!!!

272672462_TA1.jpg.f8023cf1e8feb2a15254e547adc2adc8.jpg

• Like 1

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w PROformance 65g X Shaft

Fairway Wood: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14* w PROformance 80g X Shaft tipped 1 inch
Irons:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
             Tommy Armour Silver Scot Blades 4-9 w AWT 2.0 X Shaft                      
Wedges:  Vokey SM6 - 46*, 52*, 56*   SM7 - 60* w AWT 2.0 X and AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex shafts

Grips:  Awaiting delivery...
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1 Flow Neck w Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33.75" w Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
Ball:  Kirkland Signature V3.2

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

11 hours ago, grm24 said:

Interesting. Never saw a set that had the 47* wedge. I had a set of the chrome plated 845s SS irons that were released in the early 2000's. While they were nothing but junk and very brittle feeling the set had a 48* PW. Hmm.

In the "mildly amusing" camp...  possibly because I'd joined the golf world relatively later, the 47* PW and 27* 5i were normal to me for the 845s.  When I saw my first set with a 48* PW and 28*, it was a surprise.  

Checking into that was how I learned they'd originally started with the lofts you know.  For all I know, the 27/47 sets were a limited lifespan, I just happened to see a couple sets in my earlier days, and had that imprinted.  <shrug>

• Like 1

Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"

On 6/11/2021 at 10:29 AM, NRJyzr said:

In the "mildly amusing" camp...  possibly because I'd joined the golf world relatively later, the 47* PW and 27* 5i were normal to me for the 845s.  When I saw my first set with a 48* PW and 28*, it was a surprise.  

Checking into that was how I learned they'd originally started with the lofts you know.  For all I know, the 27/47 sets were a limited lifespan, I just happened to see a couple sets in my earlier days, and had that imprinted.  <shrug>

were your heads stamped with the lofts ?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
not flashy, reliable

4 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

were your heads stamped with the lofts ?

They weren't mine, just sets I was encountering at 2nd Swing locations back in the initial incarnation of that business.  

I remember them having the lofts stamped on the face, but we *are* talking about 18-20 years ago.  😉

On 6/11/2021 at 10:29 AM, NRJyzr said:

If I remember correctly, both the 845s Silver Scot and the 855s Silver Scot had the same lofts (21*/3, 24*/4, 28*/5, 32*/6, 36*/7, 40*/8, 44*/9, 48*/P) and the stamping on the toe.  The late 90s release (?) of the 845s Oversize had the "stronger" lofts (21*/3, 24*/4, 27*/5, 31*/6, 35*/7, 39*/8, 43*/9, 47*/P) but no stamping.  After the release of the 845s OS came the 845 V-31 (cast) and 845 V-25 (forged)...

• Like 1

Driver PING G400 Max // K15 (10.5*)

Fairway Wood Callaway Steelhead XR // GBB Hawk Eye (18*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Big Bertha Warbird (21*,24*)

Irons PING G400 (6,7)/i200 (8-UW) // ISI-S (5-SW)

Wedges PING Glide 2.0 Stealth ES (56*,60*) // Eye2 XG (60*)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X // Anser X (35")

Bag Datrek Superlite (Stand // Cart)

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I don't know why I'm posting to a 3 year old thread but I love the 845s oh so much.  Here are the official specs from a scanned ad from Tommy Armour itself.

845 Specs.jpg

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

23 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

I don't know why I'm posting to a 3 year old thread but I love the 845s oh so much.  Here are the official specs from a scanned ad from Tommy Armour itself.

845 Specs.jpg

I'm not sure why i posted either except it looked like it was gaining traction (as zombie threads sometimes do).  I stand corrected on the 4 iron loft.  I'd forgotten the 1/2 degree...

Driver PING G400 Max // K15 (10.5*)

Fairway Wood Callaway Steelhead XR // GBB Hawk Eye (18*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Big Bertha Warbird (21*,24*)

Irons PING G400 (6,7)/i200 (8-UW) // ISI-S (5-SW)

Wedges PING Glide 2.0 Stealth ES (56*,60*) // Eye2 XG (60*)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X // Anser X (35")

Bag Datrek Superlite (Stand // Cart)

Cart Clicgear 3.5+