• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you ever hit a driver that's too low spin, you will see it firsthand.   Backspin is not the enemy in the right range.   I was a SLDR fanatic back when it was out, and had a 12 degree driver that c

Okay - Help me out here.

The fastest test known to man, as in 3 scared warm up swings as I am recovering from a cracked rib in my back, and then 3 full swings. Setup was 9 set to 10, with Atmos Black 6S. AOA 5-6*, SS 110, Launch 10-11, Spin 2400-2500 and 268 - 270 Carry. All of this was on a GCQuad with dots, and the strikes were both center, and fractionally toward the toe high. This is my playable pattern.

Question, is that I love this head! I will be buying one, but I need to know more about this setup? Is the black supposed to lower spin or is this just a bit higher spin head? To be honest I do not know the weight setting on the bottom, from a hazy memory I believe the heavier weight was forward.

Any thoughts or suggestions to go a different route? To help this or better optimize it? I know it is 2 swings, but they were good, not fast but good swings. I know my speed will increase but the other #'s will stay similar (AOA was normal for me right on and normal). Thanks for any help!

Kris

Testing from a few different sources has shown some higher spin numbers than some of the rock-bottom heads out there, but I’d contend that F9 spin numbers are more playable than the launch monitor queens.

The black is a low/low shaft, and I would caution you with going too wild based off of 2 swings if your intent is to optimize based on LM numbers. If you’re like most of us, just place the order with whatever you want. :) There has been some good discussion about Atmos shafts in the other thread (equipment section) over the past few days so reading that would probably give you some better insight. Ball speed would also help to understand your numbers better, but I’d recommend considering the 6x.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Alpha 816 15* - Diamana B 80x
Adams MB2 Raw Tour Issue 4-PW - KBS CTaper 120
Bridgestone J15 50.08 - DG Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.09 - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Milspec 350
Bridgestone Tour B XS

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the f9 in the shop recently w/ a Atmos Black TS and this is the best combo i've ever hit on a launch monitor. Straightest / best dispersion ever. Only thing i've tested recently that was close to the f9, was the newest Srixon offerings.

So far, Cobra is at the top of my list for 2019 in terms of a driver upgrade.

I had the same experience with the same shaft Atmos tour black 6.5. Tried various new clubs and only the titleist ts3 had similar numbers. Bought the F9 9.0 driver and the F9 3 wood with the same shaft but 6.0. I've been a titleist user but could not justify the extra price and preferred the cobra for feel, sound, looks and the stats. Tested in standard 9.0 position weight forward.

What I will say about launch monitors is that YOU NEED TO HIT THE BALL OUTSIDE. I've been getting 15+ deg launch angles on every single monitor I've been on with high 2000s / low 3000 spin with my Driver/shaft combo due to my upward attack angle and below center strikes. I took it outside on the driving range and was hitting low bullets. The tee was too low, but it wasn't much lower than the tees I was hitting inside. Each strike was on the lower half of the face, but the ball was NOT ballooning or going anywhere near as high as it was on the monitor. Trackman had me averaging over 150 feet with the Driver and these outdoor shots were nowhere near that high.

What I will say about launch monitors is that YOU NEED TO HIT THE BALL OUTSIDE. I've been getting 15+ deg launch angles on every single monitor I've been on with high 2000s / low 3000 spin with my Driver/shaft combo due to my upward attack angle and below center strikes. I took it outside on the driving range and was hitting low bullets. The tee was too low, but it wasn't much lower than the tees I was hitting inside. Each strike was on the lower half of the face, but the ball was NOT ballooning or going anywhere near as high as it was on the monitor. Trackman had me averaging over 150 feet with the Driver and these outdoor shots were nowhere near that high.

How much lower does it have to be before it affects your launch conditions, especially with "low center strikes" and such an upward AoA ? :blink:

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

How much lower does it have to be before it affects your launch conditions, especially with "low center strikes" and such an upward AoA ? :blink:

I should've clarified. Both the tees I was using inside AND outside were slightly lower than I would usually play on the course. Visually, the indoor/outdoor tees were incredibly close in height. It's not like I was using a 2" tee outside and 3" inside, very small differences if any at all.

My whole point was seeing the ball flight outside is key. Launch monitors are great, but only paint half the picture.

I should've clarified. Both the tees I was using inside AND outside were slightly lower than I would usually play on the course. Visually, the indoor/outdoor tees were incredibly close in height. It's not like I was using a 2" tee outside and 3" inside, very small differences if any at all.

My whole point was seeing the ball flight outside is key. Launch monitors are great, but only paint half the picture.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I find the monitor far more useful than outside where environmental conditions, most especially the wind, affects what I see,,,,,,,,,,,, not to mention I don't have a launch monitor outside. And on the driving range, can you really tell the ball carried 270 with low spin ? Or was it 285 ?

But if *I* hit it "300 straight" and the tee was too low why would I even bother considering anything the LM, or my eyes, tell me ?

You have an upward Aoa and you're hitting off a tee that's too low. I've hit off a lower tee in the store right after my buddy hits and I feel like I'm swinging DOWN at the ball. To me, that's basically useless. :blind:

To each his own ;)

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I find the monitor far more useful than outside where environmental conditions, most especially the wind, affects what I see,,,,,,,,,,,, not to mention I don't have a launch monitor outside. And on the driving range, can you really tell the ball carried 270 with low spin ? Or was it 285 ?

But if *I* hit it "300 straight" and the tee was too low why would I even bother considering anything the LM, or my eyes, tell me ?

You have an upward Aoa and you're hitting off a tee that's too low. I've hit off a lower tee in the store right after my buddy hits and I feel like I'm swinging DOWN at the ball. To me, that's basically useless. :blind:

To each his own ;)

I think you took what I said out of context & looking back at my post I can see why. I was trying to post quickly and made a blanket statement without explaining further. Launch monitors are extremely useful in comparing clubs and seeing your general ball flight characteristics / spin, etc. They have become an integral part of the buying process. But in my opinion, it is also useful to test outdoors (if you have that luxury) as well because launch monitors aren't perfect. You shouldn't necessarily impulse buy after a handful of swings based on 1 launch monitor session. I was more or less responding to 'taylormade113' where he hit 5 or 6 shots and wanted to buy the Driver.

Tested indoors yesterday against my gamer and really struggled with high backspin. I loved the noticeable uptick in ball speed but the spin issue was killing my distance.

I was sitting high2k range with my Callaway but the F9 was giving me consistently close to 4k. Launch was similar, but I had the F9 dialed down to -1.5 (so 7.5?) to get comparable launch height to my 9* Big Bertha Alpha.

Loved the feel and ball speed of the F9, but the spin issue was a buzzkill. Shaft was Atmos Blue TS 6s, which is what Fuji rep recommended as most similar to my gamer. FWIW, ball speed on the F9 was slightly better than I was getting with the Flash SZ using my own shaft.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 569-S
Callaway Mavrik SZ 16.5* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 661-S
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23* / Fuji Pro 83-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S
TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 52* 
Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Odyssey Toulon Palm Beach

Tested indoors yesterday against my gamer and really struggled with high backspin. I loved the noticeable uptick in ball speed but the spin issue was killing my distance.

I was sitting high2k range with my Callaway but the F9 was giving me consistently close to 4k. Launch was similar, but I had the F9 dialed down to -1.5 (so 7.5?) to get comparable launch height to my 9* Big Bertha Alpha.

Loved the feel and ball speed of the F9, but the spin issue was a buzzkill. Shaft was Atmos Blue TS 6s, which is what Fuji rep recommended as most similar to my gamer. FWIW, ball speed on the F9 was slightly better than I was getting with the Flash SZ using my own shaft.

I would suggest going up to a 6x or 7X atoms black and you'd see a significant drop in spin most likely. I went from 2900 3000 avg spin on my 10.5 head and 6s shaft to a 8 head and 7x black and avg 2100 spin w 9 yards more carry and quite a bit more total. Good luck .ball speed of 3-4 mph increase as well. I swing 101-103 as.

I don't know if it's possible for the head to spin that much more for you without some sort of swing flaw being the root cause. Do you play a cut by chance?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond 9* w/Ventus Blue 7X 1" tipping
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* 3 Wood w/Ventus Red 7X 1.5" tipping
Callaway 2021 X-Forged UT 21* w/Ventus Blue HB 9X
Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW w/Nippon Modus 120X Hard Stepped Twice
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2
Callaway MD5 Jaws 52, 58, 64
Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track or Srixon Z Star XV

I don't know if it's possible for the head to spin that much more for you without some sort of swing flaw being the root cause. Do you play a cut by chance?

Was going to say the same thing. 4k spin? Surely you'd be better off making some swing changes and addressing the reason you're spinning it that much.

No doubt I have some sort of "swing flaw" :), I'm not Adam Scott. Just offering my personal experience. Wanted to like the F9, but it definitely wasn't working for me.

I hit it back to back with my own driver and with the Epic Flash SZ. They were different shafts, but the same swings. F9 gave me 1k+ higher spin on average. Maybe that is due to the shallow face design?

I was playing high fades with the f9. Typical ball flight for me is straight. I play my current driver in the high draw core weight position.

To each his own ;)

I think you took what I said out of context & looking back at my post I can see why. I was trying to post quickly and made a blanket statement without explaining further. Launch monitors are extremely useful in comparing clubs and seeing your general ball flight characteristics / spin, etc. They have become an integral part of the buying process. But in my opinion, it is also useful to test outdoors (if you have that luxury) as well because launch monitors aren't perfect. You shouldn't necessarily impulse buy after a handful of swings based on 1 launch monitor session. I was more or less responding to 'taylormade113' where he hit 5 or 6 shots and wanted to buy the Driver.

I would agree with this. If I do another fitting it would be outside. A few of the balls I hit in my indoor fitting a few years ago, weren't picked up correctly or something, because trackman said something different than what I felt and had seen. Then I start adjusting and swinging different trying to force it, and started swinging worse with the monitor. I've had some clubs that performed pretty good on the monitors and indoors, but I didn't get the same performance on the course. I tried some PXG clubs one time at an outdoor range and my swing was more consistent to how I hit on the course.

4k is definitely a strike issue. The shaft could very possibly causing part of that as well. I have the Atmos TS blue 7X and it still has a pretty active tip so might now work well with someone already already too much loft

Strike was an issue for sure, but even dead center hits (easy to see/feel) were higher spin than I like. Ball speed was actually consistently excellent with the F9. I'm not an X flex player, but maybe I should try and see if I can handle the Atmos Black 6S. I was using the Blue 6S as recommended by Chad at Fujikura based on my preferred profile.

Was going to say the same thing. 4k spin? Surely you'd be better off making some swing changes and addressing the reason you're spinning it that much.

Thanks! I will work on "making some swing changes" to address the issues I had hitting a driver I do not own.

Spin with my current driver was averaging about 2800 with 14* launch which gives a nice flight for me. Ball speed on the F9 was about 5% higher though!

4k is definitely a strike issue. The shaft could very possibly causing part of that as well. I have the Atmos TS blue 7X and it still has a pretty active tip so might now work well with someone already already too much loft

Strike was an issue for sure, but even dead center hits (easy to see/feel) were higher spin than I like. Ball speed was actually consistently excellent with the F9. I'm not an X flex player, but maybe I should try and see if I can handle the Atmos Black 6S. I was using the Blue 6S as recommended by Chad at Fujikura based on my preferred profile.

Maybe your preferred profile is wrong for the F9....

Yep, it would seem so!

Yep, it would seem so!

Sometimes it's best to just move on versus trying to make it fit. I love the head and the overall look and feel of the club and took me sometime to find what was best for me. Glad I continued with the pursuit as the end result ended very good for myself. Don't sweat it or fight it as I believe you must look down at the club at address and have supreme confidence and knowing that you're going to hit it strait and far before ever starting the process....if not all is already lost. Best of luck
  • 2 months later...

I've been playing a G400 Max with PING Tour 65 stiff shaft. Is there a shaft in this lineup that matches it closely?

Ping G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

Ping G425 Max 14.5° Ping Tour 75 S

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19° PX HZRDUS

Smoke Black RDX 90 S
Ping Crossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Ping G425 5-U Nippon NS Pro 105 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 54, 58 DG Wedge

Piretti Firenze 303 Midnight 34”

> @mx-20 said:

> I've been playing a G400 Max with PING Tour 65 stiff shaft. Is there a shaft in this lineup that matches it closely?

I am sure there is, I don't know the PING Tour shaft though so I couldn't tell you which. But the F9 comes with a bunch of standard aftermarket options at no cost.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I will agree that LM are only good for so much.... I have a lot of trouble with this, too. I see some decent, to great, numbers at times only to get the driver outdoors on the course and see something completely different. I have not hit my F9 outside yet, but I wound up with the HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 60 based on store numbers alone and I don't consider myself an aggressive swinger. Hope to hit it outside on the range today and see what, if anything, translates from the Foresight to the range. I have a 90 day policy so it's the best way for me to do my own testing.

Anyone else here feel the Smoke shaft plays a little soft to flex? I know it was designed for better feel but the 6.0, that I would normally play, was spinning this F9 head up close to 3000, poor strikes near 4k. Atmos blue was a little better but still in the higher 2000 range... may be an option when all is said and done though. The Smoke 6.5 was spinning around 1800-2200 with the heavy weight forward... I moved it back and will hit it today in the real world.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 (set to -1) Aldila Rogue white 60x

Ping G425 Max 14.5*  Alta CB 65x

Ping G25 20*  TFC189s

Srixon Z785 4-P Modus 120s

Ping Glide 2.0 stealth 52/12

Titleist Vokey SM6 , 58/12

Ping PLD Tyne  34"

Moving the heavier weight forward knocked down the spin a ton when I was fitted into my F9. For some reason too, this club likes the ball teed lower, which gave me better launch numbers

Cobra Speedzone 9.5° Ventus Blue 6x | Callaway Epic Flash SZ 16.5° Ventus red 7x
Titleist 818 H2 19° Evenflow Black 6.0
Mizuno JPX 919F 4-PW Nippon 950GH stiff
Vokey SM7 52ºF /58ºD 
TM Spider X copper/ BGT Stability Tour shaft

Got it outside this morning.... impressive. Shaft in a stiffer flex and the weight back seems to work well for me, moving it forward gave it a little lower flight and a little firmer feel, did not notice a distance difference really, but overall I am impressed with this one. It seems to really respond to the swing I put on it... I can hit it high, low, and cut it with ease, but the draw was a little tougher. I am ok with that though as left at my home course is often a lot of trouble. Just about every ball I hit was out of the middle with a few exceptions and they weren't punished too bad... one high toe was bad and another healy strike was a short fade. Expected for the most part. Will get to put it in play Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this week so it'll get a good testing. Out of the middle they were straight and long, right where I was aiming.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 (set to -1) Aldila Rogue white 60x

Ping G425 Max 14.5*  Alta CB 65x

Ping G25 20*  TFC189s

Srixon Z785 4-P Modus 120s

Ping Glide 2.0 stealth 52/12

Titleist Vokey SM6 , 58/12

Ping PLD Tyne  34"

I picked one up for an absolute STEAL off of GCT and got to hit it yesterday. It’s a 10.5* w/ EvenFlow White 76x, but the guy had the shaft set label down at 1.5* lower loft (not sure how that actually affects it). I’m usually a low-mid launch player but with the weight back I was getting some high monsters! I put the weight forward and it seemed to knock it down a little. Unfortunately my flightscope was acting up so I didn’t get a chance to actually get some numbers but man that thing is smooth. Couldn’t find a single fault with it.

Bag as of June 2020 Driver - Mizuno ST190 w/ Fuji Speeder 661 Evo 2 3w - Mizuno ST190 w/ Fuji Speeder 757 Evo 2 Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff Irons - Mizuno MP-5 4-PW w/ KBS Tour 120 FLT Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 50/54/60 Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1