• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me you've seen this $41,000!

https://www.ebay.com...1988?nav=SEARCH

Amazing I guess if I was a multi millionaire I would consider this as a gamble---- Kinda like those old $5 grab bags you used to see in stores wanting to get rid of unsold merchandise. If I was wealthy I would offer him 30K cash and take a gamble

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

Amazing I guess if I was a multi millionaire I would consider this as a gamble---- Kinda like those old $5 grab bags you used to see in stores wanting to get rid of unsold merchandise. If I was wealthy I would offer him 30K cash and take a gamble

Guys gotta be crazy to expect someone to take a gamble at that price... like you say though if you had the money burning a hole in your pocket then why not.

Misplaced decimal points. $41 would be more like it, maybe $410, if I had the truck and storage space.

How does a person acquire all that junk? Must be like the "Hoarders" show on tv.

Yep if it was $410 and closer to me I would take that gamble--- By the time I sorted through all that stuff maybe scrap prices will be up and I could scrap the rest and maybe break even. I did a similar deal a couple of years back on a storage unit. Had a guy call me got my number from someone else. He managed a storage place. This unit was up for bids and no one did a bid on it. I went and looked and he wanted $400 I think it was trying to recoup his storage fee loss and magistrate fees. Told him no way for $400. I offered him $150 he said naah. I play hardball sometimes and told him take it or leave it period I drove a truck for a living and did not need this crap. He called me 2 weeks later and said he would take the $150. Now he had ticked me off by then and I told him that $150 offer was 2 weeks ago the offer was $100 now take it or leave it now and do not call me back. He bit. I told him give me a week to clear out. I did it in 2 days. Loaded the crap stuff right on my truck scrapped it at work. There was not a darn thing worth collecting but there was a stove and dryer in there and I sold those to a guy that sold used appliances. You could not see the appliances for the clubs do that guy would have never sold me the shed. The way I do business I do not care if I sell someone something and he flips it and makes a bump. I sold the appliance guy the stove and dryer for $100 and he made him a bump. Got my money there. Scrapped all the stuff and made around $75. Yep that was a little gamble. But remember I am a ex golf hustler so if making a game or deal it is going to be stacked so I break even at the worst. If say the storage unit was at the north end of the beach and I did not work at a scrapyard I would not have touched it with a 10 ft pole unless he gave it to me. This unit was right around the corner from me and hey I have to go to work everyday. I pick up scrap and used appliances in the park all the time do not go out of my way to do it but I do it sometimes. In trucking terms why deadhead up when I am going up anyhow to work. I make a little side money and my company makes a little money and it adds up to a extra load I may haul for the company making good money. At worst it pays my gas bill on the pickup in the course of the week. The other week when I bought the new stove I told the guys when they took the old one out to set it on my truck. The one guy said well we can haul it off for you. Then I told him where I worked and they went ohhhh! Yep it fetched $5 which payed 1/3 of my gas bill for the week

There are people on here that would have a pretty good idea what that stash is worth. It will be somewhere between the bid and the ask. Having said that, it's worth quite a bit just to get it gone if that's the objective with commercial services charging upwards of $500 per load for clean-up including tipping fees.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°

Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°

TM '09 Rescue 25°

Adams Idea Tech 28°

TM Burner Plus 7-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Never Compromise NCX RAY tau

He says 215+45 sets, so you’re hoping for $157 per set to get close to breakeven, which you might get for the 1958 Hogan Starbursts (or more), but even really good classic clubs at anything short of mint are probably not going to bring in that money. Hogan Directors, Apex 2, etc. all hover at or below $100, My Wilson fluid feels are pretty but worth nil, ($40-60) etc.

Now if he were to have a garage sale and sell from the collection, I reckon we on classic clubs would charter a flight to St Paul before you could say ‘Muirfield by Nicklaus’

I just read the full listing. This guy's nuts! If they really were worth $60K or even $41K they would be gone by now. Looks to me like 10 cents on the dollar is about right and even then that's a heckuva outlay to have tied up and try and make a buck off of it!

[Added] If this guy was really smart he'd have an auction, right there, on premises. That will net him the most money I'm sure as you will get collectors coming in for a big sale with the chance to buy specific pieces they maybe looking for.

TM RBZ Black 12°

TM '09 Rescue 25°

Adams Idea Tech 28°

TM Burner Plus 7-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

If you were a multimillionaire I doubt you would care enough to mess with all that crap to potentially make a couple bucks......unless you were just REALLY bored and really loved old golf clubs.

Misplaced decimal points. $41 would be more like it, maybe $410, if I had the truck and storage space.

How does a person acquire all that junk? Must be like the "Hoarders" show on tv.

Yep if it was $410 and closer to me I would take that gamble--- By the time I sorted through all that stuff maybe scrap prices will be up and I could scrap the rest and maybe break even. I did a similar deal a couple of years back on a storage unit. Had a guy call me got my number from someone else. He managed a storage place. This unit was up for bids and no one did a bid on it. I went and looked and he wanted $400 I think it was trying to recoup his storage fee loss and magistrate fees. Told him no way for $400. I offered him $150 he said naah. I play hardball sometimes and told him take it or leave it period I drove a truck for a living and did not need this crap. He called me 2 weeks later and said he would take the $150. Now he had ticked me off by then and I told him that $150 offer was 2 weeks ago the offer was $100 now take it or leave it now and do not call me back. He bit. I told him give me a week to clear out. I did it in 2 days. Loaded the crap stuff right on my truck scrapped it at work. There was not a darn thing worth collecting but there was a stove and dryer in there and I sold those to a guy that sold used appliances. You could not see the appliances for the clubs do that guy would have never sold me the shed. The way I do business I do not care if I sell someone something and he flips it and makes a bump. I sold the appliance guy the stove and dryer for $100 and he made him a bump. Got my money there. Scrapped all the stuff and made around $75. Yep that was a little gamble. But remember I am a ex golf hustler so if making a game or deal it is going to be stacked so I break even at the worst. If say the storage unit was at the north end of the beach and I did not work at a scrapyard I would not have touched it with a 10 ft pole unless he gave it to me. This unit was right around the corner from me and hey I have to go to work everyday. I pick up scrap and used appliances in the park all the time do not go out of my way to do it but I do it sometimes. In trucking terms why deadhead up when I am going up anyhow to work. I make a little side money and my company makes a little money and it adds up to a extra load I may haul for the company making good money. At worst it pays my gas bill on the pickup in the course of the week. The other week when I bought the new stove I told the guys when they took the old one out to set it on my truck. The one guy said well we can haul it off for you. Then I told him where I worked and they went ohhhh! Yep it fetched $5 which payed 1/3 of my gas bill for the week

From the photos there were not really "collectible". Some looked like junks and some were semi-collectible but the condition was not pristine.

I agree with you that the asking price is too high for generalization. No definitive of exactly what one might be buying for $41 K. That's a nice pickup truck ( OR A COUPLE OF NICE USED ONES ) which could help generate income.

If someone takes the time to open all the boxes and inventory the whole thing, perhaps they could come up with a more intelligent pricing and move it out quicker.

The quantity of the collection ( if you could call it that ) and what they need to get out of it , are irrelevant to the market price.

Now, if they have an open house and allow people to go in and pick what they want then pay with an appraiser's price at the check out ( or someone with knowledge of the market value of the stuff ). On top of this, they must be willing to let go at below the fair market value to move the stuff.

Or, they could wait another century, perhaps by that time the stuff would become semi- collectible by then.

If you were a multimillionaire I doubt you would care enough to mess with all that crap to potentially make a couple bucks......unless you were just REALLY bored and really loved old golf clubs.

You nailed it on the loving old golf clubs that would be why I would gamble on it IF I was wealthy

I just read the full listing. This guy's nuts! If they really were worth $60K or even $41K they would be gone by now. Looks to me like 10 cents on the dollar is about right and even then that's a heckuva outlay to have tied up and try and make a buck off of it!

[Added] If this guy was really smart he'd have an auction, right there, on premises. That will net him the most money I'm sure as you will get collectors coming in for a big sale with the chance to buy specific pieces they maybe looking for.

10 cents on the dollar is a little high now--- Scrap metal is going for only 4.5 cents a pound now and from my sources i have heard it may drop even lower for Jan 2019. Eventually it will go back up---- Scrap metal prices are like a hooker's panties up and down depending on demand

My stuff would not be a drop in the bucket compared to that hoard, Then again I look around and wonder " how in the hell did I get so much stuff?"

10 cents on the dollar is a little high now--- Scrap metal is going for only 4.5 cents a pound now and from my sources i have heard it may drop even lower for Jan 2019. Eventually it will go back up---- Scrap metal prices are like a hooker's panties up and down depending on demand

I wasn't talking about scrap. I was trying to come up with a number that you might be willing to lay out for the entire lot and take a chance on selling it at a profit hoping that there might be a unicorn or two hidden in the pile. I'm pretty sure all the hickories could be sold at a good profit if made playable first. The rest who knows so I was working off of a buck a club for singles and twenty bucks for a complete set of irons/woods. Then we've got to haul then, store them and clean them up. Dude's in lala land if he thinks someone's going fork over forty gees and do all the work!

TM RBZ Black 12°

TM '09 Rescue 25°

Adams Idea Tech 28°

TM Burner Plus 7-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Hahahaha! I just actually scrolled through all the pictures. It actually gave me anxiety just looking at the incredible volume of stuff there.

I’d lose my mind trying to sort through it all and make sense of it. It’s just too overwhelming for someone that hates clutter. My skin is crawling.

Yeah, absurd to think anyone would acquire at that price. A $60k valuation? By whom and what source(s)? But a mere trifle compared to the legendary Niles Hoard. Which remains the Gold Standard on how to acquire, transport, and liquidate a large huge club stash. For those unfamiliar with the tale:

http://www.golfwrx.c...__ niles hoard

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Yeah, absurd to think anyone would acquire at that price. A $60k valuation? By whom and what source(s)? But a mere trifle compared to the legendary Niles Hoard. Which remains the Gold Standard on how to acquire, transport, and liquidate a large huge club stash. For those unfamiliar with the tale:

2012, $2000 for 15,000 clubs.

Had it gone up in value ? Sure looks like a much better value than the $41,000 loot.

The eBay link only takes me to the eBay home page.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5° Diamana TB 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Diamana TB 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist Pro V1

Mildly intriguing by virtue of it being in St Paul, since I'm in the Twin Cities. Completely agree the valuation is too high by at least a magnitude of ten.

It would be fun to visit, but I'm not interested at all. I doubt he's interested in a sightseer. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  2-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedge grab bag:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Mildly intriguing by virtue of it being in St Paul, since I'm in the Twin Cities. Completely agree the valuation is too high by at least a magnitude of ten.

It would be fun to visit, but I'm not interested at all. I doubt he's interested in a sightseer. ;)

Just put on a suit and claim to be the appraiser for your esteemed client a Mr. William Robert Xavier ;) who wanted to see them before a potential bid. Then take the tour and don’t recommend the purchase to your “client” before posting a ton of pictures to the forum...

Thanks for posting that link Fella--- I went back and have spent the last 1/2 hour revisiting so to speak---- That and Moaning M's stash my two favorite WRX posts of all time. BTW Uncle Bob had good timing on the scrap end it has not been up to 7 cents a pound in close to 3 years now. The highest it has been in the last 3 years was 5 1/2 cents a pound

First thought I had was the legendary Niles hoard LOL. Thanks for posting the link ! A cautionary tale for all of us who fail to thin the herd ... got to love post #62 in that thread in particular ! :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I wasn't talking about scrap. I was trying to come up with a number that you might be willing to lay out for the entire lot and take a chance on selling it at a profit hoping that there might be a unicorn or two hidden in the pile. I'm pretty sure all the hickories could be sold at a good profit if made playable first. The rest who knows so I was working off of a buck a club for singles and twenty bucks for a complete set of irons/woods. Then we've got to haul then, store them and clean them up. Dude's in lala land if he thinks someone's going fork over forty gees and do all the work!

Difference in thinking--- I guess working for a metal recycler I think on scrap terms and like to roll money fast---- If I did this on estimated poundage no way I would go full public scrap price. With scrap metal at 4 1/2 cents per pound I would have estimated it at 2 1/2 or 3 cents per pound---- Like I said before I am a ex golf hustler and gambler and I am going to balance my odds so at the worst I would break even---- Like Kenny Rogers said "gotta know when to hold them know when to fold them"