2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Amazing eBay listing

I am going to balance my odds so at the worst I would break even---- Like Kenny Rogers said "gotta know when to hold them know when to fold them"

The time and effort required just to "break even" would be a deal breaker for me ... enjoyable as it would be nonetheless ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, absurd to think anyone would acquire at that price. A $60k valuation? By whom and what source(s)? But a mere trifle compared to the legendary Niles Hoard. Which remains the Gold Standard on how to acquire, transport, and liquidate a large huge club stash. For those unfamiliar with the tale:

http://www.golfwrx.c...__ niles hoard

First thought I had was the legendary Niles hoard LOL. Thanks for posting the link ! A cautionary tale for all of us who fail to thin the herd ... got to love post #62 in that thread in particular ! :)

Ha, Ha. This was before my time here. There was a certain frenzy in the prose amongst the throng as events unfolded. And still elicits chuckles on the rereading. Post #62 is my fav also. The personification of "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Wouldn't it be great to be there if the dude loaded it up on a truck, drove down to his local Play It Again Sports store and asked the owner to come out?

The owner would turn and run back into the store so fast it would make the dude's head swim.

PIAS doesn't want that old stuff anymore, at least based on what I see when I make a now rare trip to one of them. I used to go to six of them every week.

The sign on the door says they want "Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made and Ping." When Callaway was red hot in the 90s, one PIAS I shopped at would take nothing but Callaways in trade for Callaways. Nothing else. For a time they wouldn't accept forged blades of any vintage, make or model. That changed when Tiger came along.

"Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made and Ping!

They're the clubs that make us wanna sing!

The register it goes "CHA CHING!"

For Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made and Ping!"

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Wouldn't it be great to be there if the dude loaded it up on a truck, drove down to his local Play It Again Sports store and asked the owner to come out?

The owner would turn and run back into the store so fast it would make the dude's head swim.

PIAS doesn't want that old stuff anymore, at least based on what I see when I make a now rare trip to one of them. I used to go to six of them every week.

The sign on the door says they want "Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made and Ping." When Callaway was red hot in the 90s, one PIAS I shopped at would take nothing but Callaways in trade for Callaways. Nothing else. For a time they wouldn't accept forged blades of any vintage, make or model. That changed when Tiger came along.

"Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made and Ping!

They're the clubs that make us wanna sing!

The register it goes "CHA CHING!"

For Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made and Ping!"

This is mostly true at the one (PIAS) here in Pasadena. They’re not quite as restrictive as described above but a few years ago I got some great iron sets there for super cheap. I purchased several very nice vintage sets there, MacGregor 985s, Power Bilt Scotch blades, Hogan Apex IIs and a couple of others I can’t remember for less than 50 bucks. Now they won’t even look at those kind of clubs. It’s all name brand, relatively current models now, although they will take older putters, which makes sense, and wedges, which doesn’t, but they take them anyway for some reason. You can understand why the policy change, I mean it’s a business, not a museum. There isn’t much money to made in vintage, unless it’s something special on eBay, much less a retail establishment. It was, however, fun while it lasted.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

I'm just AR enough to want to be able to go through & catalog everything in this whole offering...

But, I don't care if my wedges match my irons - go figure

The thing about the wedges reminded me--- I now have 3 different brands of wedges in the front line bag----- Geez---- I did try to go all KZG since I have all the wedges that goes with that set but Naaaahhhhh ain't gonna work

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Yeah, absurd to think anyone would acquire at that price. A $60k valuation? By whom and what source(s)? But a mere trifle compared to the legendary Niles Hoard. Which remains the Gold Standard on how to acquire, transport, and liquidate a large huge club stash. For those unfamiliar with the tale:

2012, $2000 for 15,000 clubs.

Had it gone up in value ? Sure looks like a much better value than the $41,000 loot.

I think that the price is way out of line...unless he has a couple full sets of mint MacGregor WW Toney Pennas, a couple Genuine Geo Low Wizard 600's, a DB Arnold Palmer or two, a couple dozen deep-faced Mac drivers as well as some Scottsdale Ansers and several Ironmasters putters with other pros' names on them. Then he would be only a little bit out of line.

Mildly intriguing by virtue of it being in St Paul, since I'm in the Twin Cities. Completely agree the valuation is too high by at least a magnitude of ten.

It would be fun to visit, but I'm not interested at all. I doubt he's interested in a sightseer. ;)

It would be good to have a member of our cadre give us a 1st hand report, complete with better photos... But...Tread Lightly, NRJyzer. It is easy to get caught up in the moment and make what you think is a crazy, low-ball offer, only to find out that you have bought the lot. From experience, I can assure you that it can happen. Also the initial purchase price is the proverbial tip of the iceberg. Logistics is a real ball-buster. Storage is also a challenge. But this is really only a mini-hoard of only a couple thousand clubs.

Be a good sport. Take one for the team, .... We will look forward to your posts.

2012, $2000 for 15,000 clubs.

Had it gone up in value ? Sure looks like a much better value than the $41,000 loot.

I think that the price is way out of line...unless he has a couple full sets of mint MacGregor WW Toney Pennas, a couple Genuine Geo Low Wizard 600's, a DB Arnold Palmer or two, a couple dozen deep-faced Mac drivers as well as some Scottsdale Ansers and several Ironmasters putters with other pros' names on them. Then he would be only a little bit out of line.

LOL, you want nothing but the collectibles.

I get these oldies simply because I like the way they look or want to play them. That has something to do with my childhood memory from my father's time.

The persimmon and the blades, the men's locker room full of the steam from hot shower. The valet polishing the shoes and the golf clubs.... the crisp click and clink from the steel spikes hitting the paved floor..........

My interests in the vintage golf clubs are just, interests. Not financially motivated. I appreciate the design , the beauty and the function of the golf clubs from another era. When I closed my eyes, I could be in another time zone. Spaced out ? perhaps just reminisce of the time gone by.

We gotta get somebody in that room! This seller's best bet is to let a couple dozen lunatics like us in there to cherry pick what's truly collectible, and then scrap the rest. Might be able to offload some of the hickory stuff to a commercial interior decorator or something. Either way, it's going to drive me nuts wondering what eventually happens to this collection.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Like most people, when you die your children will throw away or give away anything that is not of monetary, or emotional value. I have an acquaintance who built two buildings to contain his junk. Mostly old signs and advertising pieces. As of right now this stuff is worth some cash, but not nearly as much as it was 5 years ago. By the time he decides to sell it or dies it will be worth nothing. My grandfather collected various bits and pieces somewhere between junk and fine antiques, when he passed away my grandmother tried to sell his collection. She was no where near breaking even on his "investments". I love vintage clubs, but in truth they are just an affordable experience, never saw them as an investment.

Mildly intriguing by virtue of it being in St Paul, since I'm in the Twin Cities. Completely agree the valuation is too high by at least a magnitude of ten.

It would be fun to visit, but I'm not interested at all. I doubt he's interested in a sightseer. ;)

It would be good to have a member of our cadre give us a 1st hand report, complete with better photos... But...Tread Lightly, NRJyzer. It is easy to get caught up in the moment and make what you think is a crazy, low-ball offer, only to find out that you have bought the lot. From experience, I can assure you that it can happen. Also the initial purchase price is the proverbial tip of the iceberg. Logistics is a real ball-buster. Storage is also a challenge. But this is really only a mini-hoard of only a couple thousand clubs.

Be a good sport. Take one for the team, .... We will look forward to your posts.

I'm afraid I'm going to be a dreadful disappointment, Uncle Bob. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Like most people, when you die your children will throw away or give away anything that is not of monetary, or emotional value. I have an acquaintance who built two buildings to contain his junk. Mostly old signs and advertising pieces. As of right now this stuff is worth some cash, but not nearly as much as it was 5 years ago. By the time he decides to sell it or dies it will be worth nothing. My grandfather collected various bits and pieces somewhere between junk and fine antiques, when he passed away my grandmother tried to sell his collection. She was no where near breaking even on his "investments". I love vintage clubs, but in truth they are just an affordable experience, never saw them as an investment.

That is exactly what happens--- It either gets dumped at the scrapyard ( where I work teee heee heee) or Goodwill where 90% of the time ends up where I work. Funny how Goodwill does stuff. I found those Golfsmith Snake Eyes irons ( that I sent to Timmy V) on the yard missing the 7 iron. Around 6 weeks later I found the missing 7 iron at a Goodwill up the road from me that I normally do not go to. Another example I found a set of Diamond Back 57 Macs on the yard. At that same Goodwill I found the woods that go with that set with a complete set of Armour 925 irons in a smaller cheaper Macgregor carry bag. Got all of it for $10.95. Trust me I paid and ran to the car. Far as I go I buy stuff that appeals to me and at the prices I pay I am not going to lose much money. If I do run up on something collectable I can flip it for a small profit which pays for shop supplies and further hoeing habits.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

That is exactly what happens--- It either gets dumped at the scrapyard ( where I work teee heee heee) or Goodwill where 90% of the time ends up where I work. Funny how Goodwill does stuff. I found those Golfsmith Snake Eyes irons ( that I sent to Timmy V) on the yard missing the 7 iron. Around 6 weeks later I found the missing 7 iron at a Goodwill up the road from me that I normally do not go to. Another example I found a set of Diamond Back 57 Macs on the yard. At that same Goodwill I found the woods that go with that set with a complete set of Armour 925 irons in a smaller cheaper Macgregor carry bag. Got all of it for $10.95. Trust me I paid and ran to the car. Far as I go I buy stuff that appeals to me and at the prices I pay I am not going to lose much money. If I do run up on something collectable I can flip it for a small profit which pays for shop supplies and further hoeing habits.

One paid cheap, gets cheap help. One of our GW store does the opposite. I had only visited it a couple of times,

First time I was in awe by the shear size of it. like two football fields large. Did not find anything interesting so I stopped by one other time, found a few interesting golf clubs. However, the asking price was way, way over the market price.

I then found the manager in charge of price tag these sporting goods, asked him how the price was determined. He replied that he look up the internet for similar items and 50% of that internet price would be the price he'd use. I told the guy the asking price usually is not the selling price and it'd be in the store's interests to move these donations out as quickly as they come in.

As we were discussing this, a guy walked over to the golf club section and took two Adams hybrids and walked away to the check out ( grossly over priced at twice the market value ). The GW guy shrugged his shoulders and left the conversation.

I had never return to that location ever, since that time.

This guy has a "make offer" option on a $40.00 putter in another auction but no such option in this overpriced listing.

You can't make this stuff up... :read:

Perhaps he kept tab on how much he paid for all those boxed stuff and adding the inflation rate to the decades he owned them..... come up to the $41 K.

How could anyone reasonably price any item still inside the boxes and boxes of sealed containers.

The only hope is a list of what's in the box or have it available for inspection.

My feeling is, the seller is not the owner of the listing. He is listing the goods at the request of a friend or family members of a friend, but could not list the contain of the listing just because of the huge volume.

It'll probably take a person months and months of dedicated time to open all boxes and sorting, itemizing, pricing.......to go through the year and years of collection.